Author Topic: Ford Fiesta vs Mazda 2?  (Read 34821 times)

Offline whistler

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-1
    • View Profile
Ford Fiesta vs Mazda 2?
« on: August 03, 2009, 04:43:56 pm »
Anybody else excited about these cars?

I pretty much hate subcompacts. I hate the Fit and think its goofy, same goes for the Yaris and Versa (no offense to anyone, they just aren't my thing). The Rio, Accent, and Aveo I appreciate due to the fact that they offer nice basic transportation for the price, but I still would never own one.

But the upcoming Ford Fiesta and Mazda 2 have me excited. These are two subcompacts I could see myself owning, and I actually can't wait to try them out in person. (I hope I fit into them at 6'3")

Its hard to decide which I prefer more though. I know they share (with some variations) platforms and probably engines like most Fords and Mazdas, but packaging is a little different. On styling I find the Ford is a little more masculine looking, and has nicer sportier lines. I also prefer the interior of the Fiesta.

The Mazda may be sportier to drive. Mazdas normally are, but the Fiesta might change that mold so we will have to wait and see there. The Mazda also has the advantage of being built in Japan, whereas the Fiesta will be built in Mexico making me weary of first year cars. On the other hand, I see a lot of rusty/paint chipping fairly new Mazda 3s (Japan built) so who knows if there is even a quality gap anymore.

Personally, I lean toward the Fiesta, but I'm curious how other people feel.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 04:46:17 pm by whistler »

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Re: Ford Fiesta vs Mazda 2?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 06:04:44 pm »
The question is.  Will there be a MazdaSpeed 2 or a Fiesta RS.    I think there is a Fiesta ST in the Uk but not an RS.  The ST has about 160 BHP  which should be fun in such a small car
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline mmorriso

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 08:10:59 pm »
any word on when the Mazda2 is coming to Canada?

Offline hoss

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 09:51:17 pm »
You do realize that both these cars, are "sub compacts'. 

The exterior on both look great, when I was at the Toronto car show I thought the Fiesta was the best looking car there.  The 2 is, I think, is even better looking.  where they both are going to struggle against the Fit is the interior.  The dash on the 2 is ugly, and while the dash on the Fiesta looks great (much nicer then the Fit), the rear seats do not fold flat and it seems to have much less interior volume.  One of the selling features of the Fit is the huge interior, I'm 6'5" and I fit.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 11:17:00 pm »
Fiesta all the way! I can certainly fit in and I don't need the best cargo space in the class (better than Fit) since I also own an SUV/CUV.
I only wish Ford will bring a turbo 150+ hp version and of course that they would not screw up the Euro car.
I like Mazda, but I dislike the Mazda2 interior.

Offline whistler

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 11:22:13 pm »
You do realize that both these cars, are "sub compacts'. 

The exterior on both look great, when I was at the Toronto car show I thought the Fiesta was the best looking car there.  The 2 is, I think, is even better looking.  where they both are going to struggle against the Fit is the interior.  The dash on the 2 is ugly, and while the dash on the Fiesta looks great (much nicer then the Fit), the rear seats do not fold flat and it seems to have much less interior volume.  One of the selling features of the Fit is the huge interior, I'm 6'5" and I fit.

Yes, I know they are both subcompacts.

My point is that while I hate subcompacts, the Fiesta and 2 are two cars I could actually see myself owning.

I would never own a Fit, Yaris, Versa, Rio, Hyundai, or Aveo. I just don't like them.

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 11:58:11 pm »
As much as I liked the Mazda2 when they first introduced the new model (which looks great on the outside BTW) I think the Fiesta is the real winner here.  It looks great from the inside and the outside.  If they sell it with a EcoBoost engine option it should be a superb drive.

Sival

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 01:06:06 am »
That's the interior of the Mazda 2?... Wow, that's one ugly interior, and this coming from someone in an Ion. They just went way too far on the whole "let's make everything round" concept and they made it look like a toy. Anyway, Ford is known in Europe for excellent handling and ride, though it may be possible that this is lost in the Atlantic during the transport over here as they re-tune it for North American comfort-oriented tastes. Between the two, I'd opt for the Fiesta, but the difference between the two may not be too large as Ford and Mazda share most small car technology anyway.

While we're talking of new subcompacts, did you know that Suzuki was bringing in the Swift to the US? No, not that Swift (*shudder*)...

THAT Swift...

The fuel economy ratings on it are already out on the American EPA website (fueleconomy.gov). They're bringing in the sporty Swift Sport apparently, I still don't know if they'll do the same with the cheaper, more economical versions.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 02:51:31 am »
I'll pass judgment when I see them in person, but based on the pics, the Ford is the clear winner.  I think I'd prefer the two large dials for speed and rpm as opposed to the asymmetrical set-up of the Mazda.  I like the Ford's center console better as well.

Offline Wolverine

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Ford Focus sedan 2008 1.6 Flexfuel
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 07:58:27 am »
Saw the Mazda 2 on my last trip to Chile, a quite nice little car.
"If you wanna make the world a better place take a look at yourself and make a change."

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 08:43:48 am »
I like the exterior of the Grey Mazda 2 in the pics the best but I agree the interior of the Ford is hands down better to me.

I think a Feista "sport" would be a heck of a car and with Fords usually lower pricing would be a heck of an attractive car in that market. Canada likes premium compacts (Mazda 3 with leather bi xenon lamps etc) so premimum subcompact might be the next great thing.

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 09:41:37 pm »
Ford wins :rofl2:

Not often anyone on this site says that!!!
No you're right but its becoming a more frequently uttered phrase around automotive circles.  Ford seems to be swinging back.

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2009, 08:14:36 am »
Both cars are very appealing from the outside - kudos to both companies. The inside - well Ford wins, but still I would prefer that dash be a little less aluminized with that fake plastic - just a little too much. Toning it down or reducing the width of the strips would be ideal.

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2009, 08:51:05 am »
Both cars are very appealing from the outside - kudos to both companies. The inside - well Ford wins, but still I would prefer that dash be a little less aluminized with that fake plastic - just a little too much. Toning it down or reducing the width of the strips would be ideal.

+_1 to that. I was almost going to say because of this over treatment, I liked the Mazda2 interior better. Then realized I didn't like either interior, only for different reasons.

And also a +1 to the hope of a MazdaSpeed 2, or a Fiesta RS, or maybe a Fiesta ST. I think the market here would be hot for a luxury subcompact, if it had lots of power and torque/weight.

Mazda Girl

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2010, 04:27:00 pm »

FYI

The Mazda 2 has a 1.5L 100 hp engine that is built entirely by Mazda. I would be a little skeptic about getting into a Ford with a newly designed engine. Many new cars built on a freshly designed engines have problems within the first year. Yes you have warranty, but wouldn't you rather be driving? I would. Zoom-Zoom.

P.S. Mazda 2 will be in Acton, ON in approximately two weeks.

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2010, 05:10:54 pm »
From photos, it looks like the Mazda2 was designed to compete in the sub-compact class.  The Fiesta looks like it was built to cross-over the sub-compact into the compact class.  It will likely have the price tag to go with it in the upper models...which is their strategy to make money on small cars.

Good on them to try it.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2010, 08:26:01 pm »
The answer maybe as simple as a choice between an "ancient" 4 spd auto and a 6 spd dry clutch DCT, unless you want a stick of course.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2010, 08:27:39 pm »
Sometimes I'd prefer a proven 4spd trans over something "new fangled" if I'm planning to keep the car.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2010, 08:30:45 pm »
The Mazda is smaller than the Ford.  For some odd reason Ford has not published the cargo capacity of the Fiesta Hatch but the Fiesta Sedan has more space than the Mazda2 so that is ... telling I would think.

I'll be driving the Mazda2 in a few weeks should be interesting to compare.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2010, 08:31:58 pm »
Sometimes I'd prefer a proven 4spd trans over something "new fangled" if I'm planning to keep the car.

... but there is fuel economy, quick and precise shifts and of course the 0-60  :skid: