Author Topic: Motorcycle for New Rider  (Read 166424 times)

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
Re: Motorcycle for New Rider
« Reply #80 on: April 04, 2016, 10:16:30 pm »

I'm curious to hear how the bike works out for you. I just had a 650 dual-sport, but still found street riding to be just as dull as driving unless I was really pushing it.

That's why I found a supermoto to be the best fun for a street bike.  You could hoon it up without losing your license and you'd have an ear to ear smile.

I think you might be right. My 690E (on 50/50 tires) was sorta/almost/kinda like a supermoto. Around town it was great, but I live in a small town so tried to keep the hooning to a minimum.

My post was more about highway/country-road/two-lane riding. I'm sure mlin has way better roads where he is, but around here I just found riding to be really dull unless I was doing stupid speeds.

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 04, 2016, 10:23:18 pm »

I'm curious to hear how the bike works out for you. I just had a 650 dual-sport, but still found street riding to be just as dull as driving unless I was really pushing it.

That's why I found a supermoto to be the best fun for a street bike.  You could hoon it up without losing your license and you'd have an ear to ear smile.

I think you might be right. My 690E (on 50/50 tires) was sorta/almost/kinda like a supermoto. Around town it was great, but I live in a small town so tried to keep the hooning to a minimum.

My post was more about highway/country-road/two-lane riding. I'm sure mlin has way better roads where he is, but around here I just found riding to be really dull unless I was doing stupid speeds.

I feel you.  I live in a small town.  But on a supermoto, even the every day boring intersections made for opportunities to back it in around those corners.  I made my own fun on even the dullest of roads.  I ran supermoto tires...essentially street races tires..and went down dirt and gravel roads with it.  Just to have fun....You can't really do this on any other type of bike, you know?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #82 on: April 04, 2016, 10:34:03 pm »
Last ride I had on the 690E before I sold it was in the fall. Had a surprise 7 degree and sunny day, so decided to take it out for a last spin.

Got to my favorite local roundabout for some hooning and opened it up. Of course, cold tires and cold pavement made for an instant slide. Too much, too soon, and I nearly dropped the bike in a classic low side. But, the dirt skills kicked in and I got a foot down in time before the bike fell over completely.

I managed to half skip and hop alongside the bike without actually dropping it, then got back on just in time to see the face of the guy in a car waiting to enter the roundabout. It was a classic "WTF is this idiot doing!?!" expression. Can't say he was wrong in wondering.  :rofl2:

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 04, 2016, 10:36:02 pm »

Got to my favorite local roundabout for some hooning and opened it up. Of course, cold tires and cold pavement made for an instant slide. Too much, too soon, and I nearly dropped the bike in a classic low side. But, the dirt skills kicked in and I got a foot down in time before the bike fell over completely.

That's precisely how I rode my Duke.  Nice think about it was you could ride it sportbike style (leaning off a bit) or supermoto style.  And the harder you rode it, the better it was!

Oh..I saW your Husky 701 for sale on Kijiji.  $13k.   :o   http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes/calgary/2016-husqvarna-701-supermoto/1151949094

However...I'd go this route!!  http://www.kijiji.ca/v-moto-sport-promenade/saguenay/ktm-690-smc/1152685257
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 10:39:34 pm by rrocket »

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #84 on: April 05, 2016, 01:10:29 am »
just grab a Street Triple R and have at it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBnLLYl-5SE
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 05, 2016, 01:19:30 am »

Street Triple is just a cute toy....What you really need is this!   ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xm8Qdgpr9E

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 05, 2016, 08:51:12 am »

Street Triple is just a cute toy....What you really need is this!   ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xm8Qdgpr9E
LOL...the Street Triple is a heck of a bike for $10k...i thought you were going to post this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_BDZakAZrc

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #87 on: April 05, 2016, 11:00:59 am »
Went this morning to the DMV, took the written test, got my full motorcycle endorsement on the license.  In and out in 45min. :bounce:
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #88 on: April 05, 2016, 11:20:30 am »
Went this morning to the DMV, took the written test, got my full motorcycle endorsement on the license.  In and out in 45min. :bounce:

THAT THERE worries ME :-\
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 05, 2016, 11:30:25 am »

you don't even want to know how it was done when i got my license (back in 1987)...saying it was a joke, would be disrespecting a joke.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 05, 2016, 12:00:48 pm »
How so? Completing the MSF course is a valid waiver for the road skills part of the exam. The MSF road test is tougher than the state exam.

What should worry you is that you don't need to pass a riding/road skills test at all to get a riding permit. A ton of people used to just never take the road test and keep riding on permit renewals (they stopped that; now the permit is valid only 6mo and renewable only once).

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 05, 2016, 01:01:59 pm »
What province are you in mlin32?

I believe here you can do the training but still need to do a road test. The written test gets you a learner bike license.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 05, 2016, 01:10:32 pm »

I believe here you can do the training but still need to do a road test. The written test gets you a learner bike license.
i think he is currently in South Carolina, but might be going to Germany in the near future.

Offline micha

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW Golf R; 2019 VW Golf Sportwagen; 1998 Mercedes E320
« Reply #93 on: April 05, 2016, 01:17:15 pm »

That is incorrect (in Alberta), but I hear people say that all the time. Your class 5 is a learner bike license already. The written test gives you permission to take the road test. That's all. (unless things changed recently)

EDIT: Things did not change. Link: http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/1015.htm
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 01:20:48 pm by micha »

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 05, 2016, 01:23:03 pm »

That is incorrect (in Alberta), but I hear people say that all the time. Your class 5 is a learner bike license already. The written test gives you permission to take the road test. That's all. (unless things changed recently)

I have the book - seems to indicate you take the written test and that gives you a provisional (learners) class 6 license. You must be supervised while riding. Then you take a road test to get the full license.

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/1015.htm

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 05, 2016, 01:30:37 pm »
The Licensing requirements (auto & moto) are notoriously slack in the United States.

North Carolina waives the skills test with MSF completion. for the full endorsement.

Some states are even more slack. Virginia waives both skills + written with MSF completion. And South Carolina has no helmet requirement   :stick: (Darwinism at work down there.....).

By all means just because I have the endorsement doesn't mean I consider myself a good rider in the grand scheme of things. That's why the next step is to buy a bike so I can practice.

Offline micha

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW Golf R; 2019 VW Golf Sportwagen; 1998 Mercedes E320
« Reply #96 on: April 05, 2016, 01:41:17 pm »

I have the book - seems to indicate you take the written test and that gives you a provisional (learners) class 6 license. You must be supervised while riding. Then you take a road test to get the full license.

Here is a copy-paste from the link:

To qualify to learn to ride a motorcycle,
you must:
• be 16 years of age or older
• hold a valid driver's licence
• have a person supervise you while you
   are learning. A supervisor is required until
   you have passed a class 6 road test

It states three requirements and none of them is to have passed the knowledge test. Maybe the book states something different!?

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 05, 2016, 01:45:48 pm »

Here is a copy-paste from the link:

To qualify to learn to ride a motorcycle,
you must:

It states three requirements and none of them is to have passed the knowledge test. Maybe the book states something different!?

Right you are. When I talked to registry folks that is not what they told me. But it seems pretty clear in the book.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #98 on: April 05, 2016, 01:51:39 pm »
Heh, that's what I told the city cop who stopped me in Vancouver back in 1987:

To qualify to learn to ride a motorcycle (in Alberta),
you must:

I did not mention this part:

As I was a thousand miles from home in Alberta on a huge road trip.

He (luckily) let me go.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #99 on: April 05, 2016, 01:53:11 pm »
Just don't practice ON ROAD please..... :'(  take a comprehensive off road police level course for a few hundred bucks   and save your and others lives...........having to say this  to an educated person is pathetic.............. :banghead:
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 01:55:18 pm by safristi »