Author Topic: Do you smoke?  (Read 6443 times)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Re: Do you smoke?
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2009, 06:59:20 pm »
The other odd one is when athletes (or doctors) who are in peak physical condition drop dead.  Then you see some fat slob living to be 80.

Those are the exceptions, not the rule.  Old climbers I know that don't die from other causes (falling, falling rocks, falling ice, avalanches) are incredibly active and healthy people right into their 80's.  Many "older" climbers, men and women in their 60's are much more capable than most people in their 30's.  It's very difficult to stay with the game unless you keep very fit, eat right, and really take care of yourself.

At 43, I'm one of the youngest in my group of climbing partners.  We often hook up with first time climbers that would like to come and try it.  I'm discouraged at the lack of fitness in the general population.  We'll be joined by a couple of 25-or-so year olds and they can't even dream of keeping up with a group of old-timers ranging from 43 to 62.

My father in law has some friends about his age (early 70's) that are terribly inactive, overweight, and suffer from a long list of problems.  Yes, they're alive, but mostly thanks to modern medicine, not their lifestyles.  And what is their quality of life?  One flight of stairs just about kills them.  It's not unlike being a paraplegic, but you didn't smash your spine.

Some people, of course, have something else wrong with them that leads them to an early grave.  A marathoner drops dead, and suddenly everyone feels justified in not bothering to get fit, as someone that was died young.  Cripes.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2009, 07:11:38 pm »
The other odd one is when athletes (or doctors) who are in peak physical condition drop dead.  Then you see some fat slob living to be 80.

Those are the exceptions, not the rule.  Old climbers I know that don't die from other causes (falling, falling rocks, falling ice, avalanches) are incredibly active and healthy people right into their 80's.  Many "older" climbers, men and women in their 60's are much more capable than most people in their 30's.  It's very difficult to stay with the game unless you keep very fit, eat right, and really take care of yourself.

At 43, I'm one of the youngest in my group of climbing partners.  We often hook up with first time climbers that would like to come and try it.  I'm discouraged at the lack of fitness in the general population.  We'll be joined by a couple of 25-or-so year olds and they can't even dream of keeping up with a group of old-timers ranging from 43 to 62.

My father in law has some friends about his age (early 70's) that are terribly inactive, overweight, and suffer from a long list of problems.  Yes, they're alive, but mostly thanks to modern medicine, not their lifestyles.  And what is their quality of life?  One flight of stairs just about kills them.  It's not unlike being a paraplegic, but you didn't smash your spine.

Some people, of course, have something else wrong with them that leads them to an early grave.  A marathoner drops dead, and suddenly everyone feels justified in not bothering to get fit, as someone that was died young.  Cripes.

Yea.  I don't doubt that I'd die trying to climb a mountain with you.  But I also bet you might collapse trying to do a 20 minute moto, or a 100 mile roll chart race. or a 50 lap road race.  Whatever sport you choose, you become very fit at it...and might struggle at another sport.

Sadly...it's flat as a pancake where I live.  Highest elevation is like 500 feet!  Otherwise climbing looks like great fan and a great way to get fit.

FWIW, the "fittest" thing I ever did was boxing.  You just think you're fit until you try that...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2009, 07:27:13 pm »
Yea.  I don't doubt that I'd die trying to climb a mountain with you.  But I also bet you might collapse trying to do a 20 minute moto, or a 100 mile roll chart race. or a 50 lap road race.  Whatever sport you choose, you become very fit at it...and might struggle at another sport....

...FWIW, the "fittest" thing I ever did was boxing.  You just think you're fit until you try that...

Yeah, I have raced cars and motorcycles and I'm aware of the fitness that is needed for excellence in the sport.  Many racers now work out very hard off-track and prepare physically.  Cross training is super important for sports that demand not only high levels of cardio vascular fitness, but strength as well.  When climbers first engaged sports trainers, they struggled to find good routines for them.  Decathlete training was initially used until research found better ways for climbers to train.  Motor sports has some of the same problems.  Strong cardio and slow-twitch strength is needed for the endurance of long events, but good fast-twitch muscular fitness leads to improved precision and handling of controls when needed.

Many climbers simply engage in a multitude of sports in order to train for climbing.  Boxing/martial-arts is not unusual as it demands incredible strength and endurance.  As a sport, it's not unlike climbing at all.  A typical climb is an endurance event that requires repeated short, powerful movements.  Also, like boxing, it requires good balance and superb core strength.

Instead of "training" one woman climber I know works out with MMA fighters, runs ultra-marathons (min 50mi) and does gymnastics.  As a result, she's one of the world's strongest climbers, regardless of the setting.  Rock, ice, alpine, whatever.  She can handle a heavy pack on a long approach, power through difficult climbing moves, suffer (suffering skills from ultramarathoning) through 40-60 hour sustained climbs and thanks to the MMA training, there's no one I'd rather by my side in a barfight.   ;D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2009, 07:34:15 pm »
^^^^Yup..MMA, Boxing, Judo, etc...All GREAT stuff!!  I remember when I was super fit.  I had been doing Muai Thai, some judo, etc..  Except I only thought I was fit until I stepped in a boxing ring.  Geez.  Those guys take cardio fitness to the next level...

Honda Owner

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2009, 07:49:58 pm »
I also used to smoke but gave it up 15 years ago, cold turkey. It is the only way to do it. It is several months of misery but the improvement in general health is immediate.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2009, 08:44:51 pm »

The only smoking I do involves rubber.  ;)

You smoke condoms?

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2009, 08:56:02 pm »

You smoke condoms?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Sweet...laughed out loud!!

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2009, 08:58:43 pm »

You smoke condoms?

Well, I don't do the smoking, as it were...

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2009, 09:12:53 pm »
Those pink cigars can be bad for you.   :D

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2009, 11:13:32 pm »
Nope, don't smoke and never did other than the usual furtive attempts back in high school.  As an asthmatic, I never went beyond those exploratory puffs.  I knew better than to continue.  Some of my high school classmates weren't so careful and have been addicted to the stuff for more than 30 years.  I would hate to see, let alone have, their lungs. :o ::)

Although I suffered a relapse of my asthma a few years ago, during the years before then I enjoyed better heart-lung capacity than when I was fifteen.  My stamina during those years was much higher too.  Over those years, I cycled, did cross country skiing and later on curled.  What my health would have been if I had smoked is the stuff of nightmares. :foil: :fall: :shake: :nono:
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 11:15:10 pm by random006 »
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

vdk

« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2009, 12:37:57 am »

You smoke condoms?

I thought of rubbers when I read that too.

Leviathan

« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2009, 12:56:52 am »

You smoke condoms?

I thought of rubbers when I read that too.
Q: Do you smoke after sex?
A: I don't know - I've never checked.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2009, 12:44:14 pm »

Q: Do you smoke after sex?
A: I don't know - I've never checked.

...or you've never had sex?  ;D

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2009, 01:19:19 pm »
 tpl quit smokin' COLD TURKEY"...................now he just lights up a hot chick????????? ;D....
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 01:21:08 pm by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once

fordboy

« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2009, 04:34:03 pm »
That's just wrong.    :o Did she have a beer to go with that cigarrette and cake?

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2009, 05:14:28 pm »
That's just wrong.    :o Did she have a beer to go with that cigarrette and cake?

Why?
She is 100, let her do what she wants

Offline Wetson

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +10/-3
  • Moi
    • View Profile
    • My real estate website
  • Cars: 2019 Acura TLX SH-AWD Elite, 2018 Audi S5 Cabriolet
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2009, 08:01:21 pm »
I quit.

Offline Agiledood

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +32/-11
    • View Profile
    • Visit my site
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2009, 08:03:07 pm »
nope, I worked at Bingo for a few years, got all the smoke I needed then!  Funny that my entire family does smoke but not 1 person in my wife's family does.
2019 Mazda 3 GS-L, 2013 Ram 1500 and an EV that cost 5 times what my Mazda3 costs but is louder with a crappier interior.

Offline RunsinLight

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-34
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford F150 XLT
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2009, 09:02:07 pm »
If wing would lend us his wheels we'd all be chain smokers 

:skid:

fordboy

« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2009, 06:31:44 am »

Why?
She is 100, let her do what she wants

Fine with me.