Author Topic: Do you smoke?  (Read 6450 times)

fordboy

Do you smoke?
« on: June 08, 2009, 04:39:48 pm »
I was just wondering. I don't, but I can tell that my 80 year old grandfather that has smoked for 71 years :shake: is begining to cough alot, and gets sick more often.

Just wondering what you have to say

He smokes Doral light 100's  (not advertising)

:surrend:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
Re: Do you smoke?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 04:41:35 pm »
Alot of 80 year olds cough alot.  And alot of 80 year olds die.  Afterall, he's not a spring chicken anymore...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 04:57:50 pm »
My mother smoked for 43 of her 61 years and died of cancer.  My Dad smoked for close to 35 years and developed horrible heart disease that is now limiting his life and he's only 70.  None of their parents smoked (odd considering the time) and lived to be well over 90.

For every person that's 80 or older that smoked, there are tons of dead people much younger that were killed by cigarettes.  Ask Warren Zevon about dying young of lung cancer.

As an amateur athlete, I couldn't even imagine smoking.  I don't even know anyone that does.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 05:15:58 pm »
I know very few people my age that smoke - only one or two.  But I'm only 21, and it seems to me that I'm on the edge of the age group that finds smoking socially unacceptable.  Lots more anti-smoking education when I was growing up than there was even a few years earlier, I think.  :)

The only smoking I do involves rubber.  ;)

vdk

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 05:21:51 pm »
Umm.. maybe once or twice a week... Whenever things get tough..

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 05:38:37 pm »
If you're 80 , do what you makes you happy

Honda Owner

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 05:42:54 pm »
My father smoked and drank himself to death at age 63.

His brother did the same and lasted to age 59.

His sister lasted to age 62, also loved to smoke and drink.

My first cousin was a three pack a day man. Notice was in past tense. It killed him at 48.

I don't smoke and drink.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 05:43:43 pm »
I often wonder why some people who smoke for 70+ years live forever, yet those who smoke less (or not at all) die young from cancer.

The other odd one is when athletes (or doctors) who are in peak physical condition drop dead.  Then you see some fat slob living to be 80.

Honda Owner

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 05:45:32 pm »
Seems to me that it doesn't kill you by age 60 then you will probably make it. I am not going to tempt fate. Besides, it makes you feel awful.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 05:46:29 pm »

I don't smoke and drink.

Drinking is not bad at all..if done in moderation.  It's actually been shown to be beneficial.  But again...in moderation.

I wish I could drink....but the IBS isn't too pleased when you pour alcohol on it!  :)

I do smoke cigars though....

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 05:47:02 pm »
I often wonder why some people who smoke for 70+ years live forever, yet those who smoke less (or not at all) die young from cancer.

The other odd one is when athletes (or doctors) who are in peak physical condition drop dead.  Then you see some fat slob living to be 80.
that why you should get the nice car you can, and have fun,
you never know when your number will be called

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 05:49:06 pm »
Seems to me that it doesn't kill you by age 60 then you will probably make it. I am not going to tempt fate. Besides, it makes you feel awful.

I'm not sure if smoking cigarettes make you feel awful..I've never tried. 

But I do enjoy my stogies!  Not that it's healthy...but we don't inhale.  So maybe just my lips with rot away, eh?

Nothing like a great stogie after a meal....MMmmmm..

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 05:49:50 pm »
I used to smoke.  Gave up cold turkey in 1986.

The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Online PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2009, 05:54:38 pm »
I took up smoking for a few months at a time on trips when I had traveling companions who smoked. Liked it. Sitting in an outdoor cafe in Vietnam, sipping on a coffee, smoking and talking. The nicotine didn't seem to do much but the ritual of smoking in itself was surprisingly enjoyable.

But getting home to the crew at work and witnessing them desperately trying to stop put an end to it. Hard on the pocketbook, tough on the skin (wrinkles), lungs, circulation in the fingers, almost everything.

Some smokers seem to have immunity. My grandfather was an engineer who chain smoked every day on the job. Lived to his mid 80's, no ill effects I was aware of.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2009, 05:58:43 pm »
Oh..I also have an Egyptian hookah.  You smoke a candied tobacco called "shisha" in it.  Actually..the tobacco is like it has been mixed with fruit marmalade.  It's good.  Again..I don't inhale, but rather enjoy the flavors of the tobacco and fruit.  Double Apple is great!

It's far too $$ here to buy the shisha, so my brother picks me some up everytime he visits Egypt.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2009, 06:14:14 pm »
I smoke.  I wish I didn't.  My last attempt to quit with the patch wasn't successful, but I do smoke a lot less than I used to. 

I've also made some changes with regard to the habit:  I make sure I'm never comfortable (always standing up, and outside), and don't bring cigarettes with me if I go on errands for a few hours or on a long hike.  I've also started delaying having that first one in the morning with coffee.  I also managed to go cold turkey for four days this past winter.  These small efforts may not seem like a big deal to a non-smoker, but lemme tell ya... it is.

There is nothing logical about addiction.  Frustrates the hell out of me.

vdk

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2009, 06:41:27 pm »
Oh..I also have an Egyptian hookah.  You smoke a candied tobacco called "shisha" in it.  Actually..the tobacco is like it has been mixed with fruit marmalade.  It's good.  Again..I don't inhale, but rather enjoy the flavors of the tobacco and fruit.  Double Apple is great!

It's far too $$ here to buy the shisha, so my brother picks me some up everytime he visits Egypt.

I love that thing. Next time you come to Toronto, I'll show you a really nice shisha place. ;)
The tobacco is not that expensive here, less than $10 - depending on what flavor you want. I don't know what it is but it's not the same when you do it yourself.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2009, 06:43:34 pm »
Just tires ... more ways than 1.  :)

vdk

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2009, 06:46:53 pm »
I smoke.  I wish I didn't.  My last attempt to quit with the patch wasn't successful, but I do smoke a lot less than I used to. 

I've also made some changes with regard to the habit:  I make sure I'm never comfortable (always standing up, and outside), and don't bring cigarettes with me if I go on errands for a few hours or on a long hike.  I've also started delaying having that first one in the morning with coffee.  I also managed to go cold turkey for four days this past winter.  These small efforts may not seem like a big deal to a non-smoker, but lemme tell ya... it is.

There is nothing logical about addiction.  Frustrates the hell out of me.

The only thing that made my friend quit was her boyfriend. She quit for as long as they were together. It was tough, both for her and those around her. She gave up on nicotine patches the second week, and went totally clean for another 3 months.
But after they broke up, she was back to 2 packs a day. I guess the human body needs to replace one drug with another drug.

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2009, 06:49:35 pm »
I know a lot of people who smokes.  So does second hand smoke count as smoking?