Author Topic: Home at Last - Bridgewater  (Read 6886 times)

avtoller

Home at Last - Bridgewater
« on: June 03, 2009, 09:57:51 pm »
Hi Crew,

Such a day. I was on the road by 6;30 am, and arrived in Bridgewater before 8:30. I got the lay of the land and then got to work. By 2 pm I had completed the mortgage work, transferred my bank accounts, and reworked my line-of-credit. I got the house insured. I spoke to the lawyer. I got my car inspected, plated and insured. I got my NS driver's license. By 3:30, I had my motel for the next two days, had ordered electrical service for the house, and ordered internet and telephone. I also went out to see my new home. BTW, the move is looking good so far. It was a lovely 24C here, as opposed to the 34 in Port! Ugh.

I think I'm in love. I having now seen the property, or at least a bit of it, WOW. I haven't been in the house, and I don't have a clue about the property boundaries, but oh my!!! I will take pictures starting tomorrow and post some. It is 9 km from the centre of town. The river is mainly shallow, but there seem to be some nice pockets. It is a bit hard to hear the river when the wind is in the many trees (a wide selection, many of them new to me), but when the wind is down, the river is a very happy sound. The river is north of the house, but the babbling brook runs south to north on the west side of the house, a very easy stone's throw away. There is a spot slightly up hill from the house and shed which has been prepared for the garage. A stone path (native rock) leads down to the water. I have seen much less than 1 of the 4 acres.

The driveway is mildly steep, and Daffi and I went for a little walk up to our road and to the end of it. A dirt roadlet led off east and we went exploring. We had gone approximately 4.5 km without coming to the end before I decided to turn around. There were numerous side roads and paths to explore as well. I will be able to do daily walks in my usual distance without ever getting in the car if I so wish. For me that is heaven. I'll save the Forester for exploring the rest of NS.  ;D

For the hell part, going out was easy, returning less so. I was so tired and distracted that I did not take note of where the little "through the woods" part of the trail rejoined old roadway. As a result, I got lost. I had noticed that Daffi was lagging behind, but was too muzzy headed to have that register. I did have the GPS with me, but in the dense tree cover, it was very unreliable. I did walk away from the direction of the house for a couple of km, and Daffi suddenly, and with great confidence went over to an essentially hidden trail and without a backward look, started up it. Within a minute I saw something I recognized, and the last few km were much more comfy. Of course she turned down our driveway without hesitation too. The 9 km walk was well over 15.  :-[ :( :'( If only she could talk, ...

The main reason I decided to write tonight despite fatigue and sore shoulders (were all tension immediately takes up residence with  me), when we got back to the motel, I notice Daffi had 2 porcupine quills (short ones) sticking out of her pink nose. Yesterday I had read a note from Brigitte, telling me about a porcupine problem and treatment, so I tried clipping them, but they were still a bugger to remove even though I waited some time before trying to pull the second one. Daffi didn't like it much, but she's a trooper. First time a dog of mine has ever had that experience, and on the day I read her story. Hmmm, how does this world function anyway?

Tomorrow I have to start shopping with a vengeance. I can't even use the cell phone at my house as reception is right at the hairy edge. I will be essentially without email until next Tuesday unless I go to the local Internet restaurant. More to come.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
Re: Home at Last - Bridgewater
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 09:58:56 pm »
Congrats on making the trip safely!!

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 10:21:38 pm »
What a day for you, Ross...

And, had I known that I was giving you advice, I would have researched the porcupine quilling issue a bit more.  I only repeated what my grandparents did over thirty years ago.  Here's more info.  WARNING:  the pictures are very graphic.

http://www.thepetcenter.com/gen/pq.html

Please take her to a vet.  She will need to be on antibiotics if she suffered any tissue damage.  Poor sweetie.   :'(   I hope she learns that porcupines are to be left alone -- does she understand cause and effect?  My Daisy did not.

Glad that the homestead is everything you hoped it would be, and more!  Can't wait to see pics, but I know we'll have to be patient.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 10:22:05 pm »
Very glad you and Daffi have arrived at your new home safely and mostly sane.. ;)

You two will have a ton of fun exploring your property, the immediate area and all the province, no doubt. I suggest letting Daffi be the guide as your first outing was, navigationally, not so hot on your part... ;) ;) ;D

I look forward to some pix of the new place, but realize that may take a week or so, as you have a lot of stuff to arrange and do over the next few days.

Good to hear you are safe and sound. At least until an Atlantic storm blows in about Nov or Dec...then we'll see.... ;D

Incidently, we were in Bridgewater and stayed one overnight there in Aug 04. At that time, all the Tim Horton's in Bwater were owned by the sister&hubby of one of wife's friends here. I think they still own most of them, but may have sold some due to husband's illness.

EDIT - I second Bridgey's comment about getting Daffi to a vet re those quills. Can get nasty for her otherwise.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

vdk

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 12:36:50 am »
Welcome home!  :hello:

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 12:48:28 am »
Glad you made it, Ross.   :) 

avtoller

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 07:09:45 am »
 :-[ :-[ :-[ Turns out, it was more the power of suggestion than reality. I discovered a "quill" stuck in the side of my big toe this morning, and thus inspected it very carefully.

I said they were "short ones". They were also VERY thin ones. They were ALSO vegetable in nature, not animal.  :-[ :-[ :-[ They are some sort of plant spine/burr/seed, very sharp, very determined to stay put once lodged. Nasty little thingies. Daffi does associate cause and effect extremely well, but speaking for myself, I certainly didn't notice the spike entering, but it smarted coming out. Daf may not have had anything to associate with the later pain. We'll see.

Off to see if I can buy any suitable furniture here or whether I need to dash off to Halifax. Fun. <sigh>  ::) :rofl2:

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 07:14:50 am »
The weather is nice, and no fog  :o  ;D

You up early , wait you are a hour ahead of COU

Good luck on the move

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 09:13:49 am »
WHere in Bridgwater are you Lahave side or Dayspring side of the river? I gre up 30 minutes from there still go through a lot. Have lots of contacts there my brother works there and I have several bodyshops I work with there if you ever (hopefully not) need anything.

It might have only been 24 there but Bridgwater is hella hot in July and August compared to many other areas of the Province. All the better to enjoy the beaches. Its a great place to live. Best of luck.

UmroAyyar

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 09:36:24 am »
Wow, what a journey it has been!

and thats one busy day. Glad you like it, your narrative sounds like what I hear about Nova Scotia, quite a dreamy place you've got. :)

You're already having fun, can't wait to see what it looks like over there.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2009, 10:49:22 am »
This summer, you'll have to wander up to Keji when you have some time, especially if you have a canoe.

And just down the road a piece, outside of Liverpool (Brooklyn, actually), there's a nice beach at Beach Meadows.

My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2009, 12:07:37 pm »
Ross,

Glad you made it!  Wow, that first day was a busy one for you.  Still, it's nice to get the paperwork out of the way, n'est pas?

As far as the hiking goes, I'm happy that the animal quill turned out to be a plant instead.  I echo Brigitte's advice regardless.  It might not have been a porcupine but Daffi might still need treatment.  Still, it does sound like hiking there will involve a bit of a learning curve to avoid the nasty stuff in the future.  I would also consider promoting Daffi to honourary GPS, first class.  Your GARMIN might not have known where to go but she did. ;) ;D

All the best.
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2009, 12:18:05 pm »
BTW there is a vet on the left side of the road as you leave BW through Hebville. We took all our dogs there.

avtoller

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2009, 12:39:44 pm »
BTW there is a vet on the left side of the road as you leave BW through Hebville. We took all our dogs there.

Thanks for the information. That is just the sort of thing I need to know. I go to sign all of the papers in an hour and a half, then go inspect the property around 7 pm. If all goes well, I unload the car tomorrow morning, then head into Halifax for some serious shopping - or maybe not. I will buy as much as possible locally, but shopping is somewhat limited here.

I am in Lower Branch - west side of the LaHave River and north.I took pictures a couple of hours ago, and will post some later. Time for a quick lunch before seeing the lawyer.

BTW, Daffi is just fine and so am I - no irritation from the spike. She even made her first confirmed shrew killing this morning.  :o ;D
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 12:41:15 pm by AVToller »

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2009, 01:26:26 pm »
Congrats on making it, AVT!  From one end of our fabulous country to another - quite the journey.  If all goes according to plan I'll make it out to the East coast later this summer, and then I can say I've driven from one end of the continent to the other...

How's the drive through Quebec?  Looking at the map it seems fairly desolate after your get past Quebec City...

dorin

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2009, 04:41:22 pm »
Welcome home Ross!  I hope all goes well with the closing and that Daffi and you will get settled in quickly.  Enjoy exploring the new surroundings.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2009, 06:25:17 pm »
:-[ :-[ :-[ Turns out, it was more the power of suggestion than reality. I discovered a "quill" stuck in the side of my big toe this morning, and thus inspected it very carefully.

Have I taught you nothing about proper footwear and walking in the woods?  What were you wearing, flip-flops?   >:(  ;D 

Glad to hear things are falling into place nicely.  If it were me, I'd be on the verge of passing out and sleeping for a week.   :fall:  I get sleepy just thinking of all the ground you've covered and everything you've done in the past week or so. 

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2009, 06:41:53 pm »
I'm happy to hear you and Daffi made it safe and sound.  Enjoy your new life!  :)
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

avtoller

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2009, 10:27:31 pm »
Thank you all - I think. ??? :-\ ;D

I still have a couple of stressful weeks to come as I have to furnish and organize the place, and arrange for some significant renovations and/or improvements. I final saw the interior of the house tonight, and I like it a lot. It is going to be a wonderful place for Daffi, the cat, and me. It should be very efficient to heat, and it was surprisingly pleasant inside despite having be closed up for some time and the fact that it was officially 25C today - and sunny.

It is in good condition and I could easily just move in with a light cleaning - more for show than need, but I have the cash for a garage, turning the balcony into a sun room, and upgrading the water filtering system. I didn't take any interior shots. 

The most important thing of all is that Daffi thoroughly investigated the house and declared it home. She does prefer the outside to the in however, but with all of the animals trespassing, I'm not surprised. I should be able to take the load off and out of the Forester around noon tomorrow - AT LAST. I won't have Internet or phone until Tuesday, and TV until ??? Furniture won't start arriving until at least Thursday. Fun.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Cudworthhab

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +5/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Prius V Rav 4 Hybrid
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2009, 10:54:11 pm »
Wow . Looks very nice.