Author Topic: Home at Last - Bridgewater  (Read 6879 times)

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
Re: Home at Last - Bridgewater
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2009, 11:00:36 pm »
Both the Forester and Daffi look right at home!  :thumbup:

That creek looks amazing...  that's a very nice, picturesque spot you've got there.  You did a good job choosing the property, especially given you were on the other side of the country when you did it!

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2009, 11:15:30 pm »
To suddenly make a massive change, start all over, new place with new stuff...pretty amazing.

Hope you enjoy it. :cheers:
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Leviathan

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2009, 11:16:01 pm »
Perfect place to write a manifesto  :o  :P

Seriously, nice looking home and area there  :thumbup:

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2009, 11:47:14 pm »
Nice looking home and area.   I may have to rethinking about returning West to retire and head East.    :)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2009, 11:51:30 pm »
Looks fantastic Ross!  :thumbup:

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2009, 11:52:51 pm »
The land and creek look very inviting. And you'll have the house whipped into shape in no time. Pretty amazing considering you did the deal actual sight unseen, and over a long distance. Good for you, Ross.  :thumbup: :thumbup:
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2009, 08:07:31 am »

Have I taught you nothing about proper footwear and walking in the woods?  What were you wearing, flip-flops?   >:(  ;D 

At least there's an MEC in Halifax....
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline DockMan

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2009, 08:15:39 am »
That is gorgeous, I am jealous. Good Luck.
Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all. - John W. Gardner

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2009, 09:15:23 am »

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2009, 09:39:15 am »
Glad to hear you and Daffi made it unscathed.  Enjoy your new home.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2009, 10:27:54 am »
Ross, the new place looks amazing and I'm in envy over here. With the number of houses only getting bigger and bigger you have bought the house we would love to live in.  :thumbup:

Hopefully one summer we can get down there and visit you.

baumer00

« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2009, 12:33:10 pm »
Looks like a great place that will make you both very happy.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2009, 12:49:06 pm »
Where can I pitch my tent?   ;D
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2009, 12:56:00 pm »

The Una-driver? ;D ;D

Mein Forester?  (Godwin's law rears its pugnacious and pernicious head at last) :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Lovely place, Ross.  Looks like the very definition of peace and tranquillity.  I can see many hours of happily tramping about the local forest in store for both of you.
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2009, 05:13:53 pm »
The Una-driver? ;D ;D

Mein Forester? 

UnaToller?

Mine Camp?

:rofl2:

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2009, 08:59:46 pm »
Welcome to Nova Scotia. Just saw this thread.   What happened to the Yaris ?
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2009, 08:55:08 am »
It got the old "heave ho".  ;D

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2009, 01:30:07 pm »
..how many tramps are there inna local woods.......................... :o 8).............
Time is to stop everything happening at once

UmroAyyar

« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2009, 02:43:02 pm »
Wow, this looks brilliant. What a serene environment?

I want to retire now. :P

avtoller

« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2009, 07:19:39 pm »
I'm back! ;D

Thank you all for your kind comments and droll  ::) ::) :P ::) humour.

The homestead my LOOK tranquil, but it's not. When there is a breeze, the poplar type trees make an awful racket, and when there isn't, the River chuckles and my brook babbles, and the %$@)&*@!& birds never seem to shut up.  >:( >:( ;) Thank goodness the soundproofing in the cottage is excellent.  :rofl2: :rofl: I did sort of hear a hint of human activity once (a chain saw? a snow blower?), but it was very faint.

Just as "pobody's nerfect", po nlace is either. As Daffi and I have both discovered, ticks are endemic. I'm trying to be laid back about it, but having a store clerk point out that I had a tick gnawing on my left ear was off putting. I decided to buy a second tick remover, and that clerk mentioned that this seems to be a "good" tick year. At first I thought he meant a good year for the ticks, but alas he meant that they were not up to their usual abundance!!! I'm hoping that they had just all migrated to our place from his, having sensed new blood in the area.  ??? ??? :-\

I am delighting in the cottage. I now have a chair and some other furnishings, but all deliveries seem to be made by one firm, and they only deliver in my area on Thursdays. In two days I will have a sofa, dining table and chairs, large bookcase, and a futon among other larger items. The last item is MOST important as I am still sleeping on an inflatable mattress on the bedroom floor. My old bones don't enjoy trying to get up in the morning.  :'( :'( My bed doesn't arrive until the following Thursday. The only source of TCM (Turner Classic Movies) is Star Choice, so I won't have TV for at least 2 more weeks. Guess I'll have to relearn how to read.  ;)

The cottage itself is just what I hoped it would be. It is very well laid out according to my taste, with almost no wasted space. It actually feels much larger than it is, but that might be partially due to having so little furniture in it as yet.  ??? ;D It is in no way posh or deluxe, but it is solidly built, the appliances are all middle-of-the-road Kenmore, and it seems designed for low energy usage. There is adequate in-house storage, but the 20X16' shed is dry and sound, and it has all of my extras (like the roof box) in it. 

Two final comments for now. The people I've met have been universally friendly, pleasant, and helpful. For example, the owners of a small furniture store decided to deliver the dresser and secretary (desk!!!) themselves on their way home. As I was suffering from a severe lack of water from my well, and had run out of ideas to try, I asked if they could recommend a plumber. The husband did, but asked to see the setup for himself. Ten minutes later he had sorted everything out, then recommended a carpenter to turn the balcony into a sun room, and gave other helpful (and not so much) useful advice. And thank you, Seafoam, for your welcome. Yes, the Yaris was traded in on the Forester. Good thing too, as I met the NS Power meter reader, and he said that he refused to try and reach the cottage by truck (2-wheel drive) in the winter. With it's limited clearance, the Yaris would have been utterly useless. The drive is quite steep and long (~ 130 m).

The other comment is that I have received 3 calls from my credit card company - one when I was crossing the country and buying a tank or more of gas everyday - like someone escaping BC.  ;D :rofl2: The last 2 have come since I took possession of the property on Friday. It is amazing how many things I have bought and how much I have spent. Certainly NOT my usual spending pattern, but I wish they would accept that I am not impersonating me.

Overall, my reaction is changing from  :drive2: :foil: to  :thumbup: :thumbup: 8)