Author Topic: Make your own 'energy-efficient' faucet aerators  (Read 1592 times)

Squishy

Make your own 'energy-efficient' faucet aerators
« on: May 30, 2009, 12:11:24 pm »
Union Gas set up a free kit for us that included some 1.25 GPM 'energy-efficient' aerators and shower heads.  I took one apart to see if I could retrofit this onto the rest of our faucets, and found that these new aerators had just one extra piece - a thin disc with a small hole to restrict water flow.

All you need are the tools to remove your current aerator (I used slip-joint pliers), a type '2' plastic bottle with a flat panel (I used a Sunny D bottle), strong scissors, a 3/32" drill bit, and Teflon tape.

First, I removed the standard 2.5 GPM aerator and took out the gasket.  Using that as a template, I cut out a plastic disc from the plastic bottle.  The pictures are pretty bad because I couldn't get the lighting conditions right.

^ That disc was a rough first attempt.  The jagged edges are fine, but make sure it will fit snugly into the aerator.

Using a 3/32" drill bit, drill a hole into the centre of the disc.  Slip the disc in behind where the gasket sits, and make sure that it is snug on at least two sides (try a loose disc...very loud whistling).

Reapply Teflon tape to the aerator, reinstall, and test the water flow.  I doubt the little disc presents any danger of putting BPA into the water, but if you want to be safe, don't put one on the faucets used for drinking water.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
Re: Make your own 'energy-efficient' faucet aerators
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 12:35:44 pm »
 ::) FLOMAX will FIX dat...................ask yer PLUMBER.................that decrease in "sea-men" will mean more seals eh!!!!
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-440
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 09:23:30 am »
mind boggling waste of time :banghead:

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 09:45:26 am »
At work last year they had some energy conserving push and installed these in all the showers.  About 2 days later the restricting discs had all been removed by us so we could actually shower.  The complaints finally reached management a few days later and they replaced all the shower heads again, even though they had already been "fixed". :rofl2:
Mr Pickypants

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 10:30:31 am »
Thanks for sharing, Squishy.

About 2 days later the restricting discs had all been removed by us so we could actually shower.

I know exactly what you are talking about.  I lived with clogged/weak running shower head for a while to understand the frustration...

Conservation is all good and fine, but I don't think most of us are really ready to change our shower habits.  Maybe the next generation will all be used to weak/drizzling shower heads and faucets.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Squishy

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 12:04:23 pm »
Haha, I'm actually fine with the restricted shower flow...doesn't really bother me and should bring the biggest savings.  All I had to do was angle the shower head more upwards so the spray would end up where it used to.  Aside from that, I don't even notice that the flow is reduced.

What I am a bit annoyed with is the restricted flow of the kitchen faucet.  Filling pots with water now takes about 50% longer, and I guess I could do without the disc and just turn the faucet on halfway when I don't need the extra flow.  I can't break the habit of just slamming the faucet all the way on, though, so I may just enlarge the hole in the disc.