Author Topic: Whatever happened to...  (Read 22634 times)

avtoller

Re: Whatever happened to...
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2009, 05:35:28 pm »
I think once AVT gets close to TO that we should have a little get togther.
When will you be in the area AVT?
Railton

What a lovely thought! Unfortunately, I won't know until I see how well MY body is holding up to the travel. I leave from the Lower Mainland in the wee hours the 22nd. I could be there on the 29th (or the 28th, or the 30th, or ...). Safety is my primary concern - driving tired is as bad as driving drunk or stoned.

Hi Snowy. Thanks for the offer. I might just POSSIBLY want to take you up on your offer. Too many factors unclear as yet yo make any real plans.

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2009, 06:02:00 pm »
Congrats on the new Subie, Ross.   Good luck with your drive.   Demos is also driving east in his new Fit.   "Go East Young Man". 

von_khan

« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2009, 08:12:11 pm »
Funny, I just did one of my rare check-ins and saw this thread.

Charlie just turned 2-years on April 24. He is bold, looks a lot like his mom, and is thoroughly loved by everyone who meets him - just like Daffi. We will see him on May 21 as we leave Vancouver Island for the last time.

Things have changed a lot. Daffi decided that she wanted to go back to her roots, so I sold the house and Yaris, bought a 2009 Forester (looks exactly like Trainman's), and we head for our new home in Nova Scotia in 2 weeks. The Great Trek East is the start of our final Great Adventure.

I'm enjoying the Forester immensely. It has some of the character of my beloved 2001 Forester, but it seems improved in almost every regard. It should make living in rural Lunenburg County much easier than it would have been with the Yaris.  ;)  I have an offer in on a place I've never seen, and will know more by tomorrow evening.

Aren't you glad you asked?

Incidentally, I do drop by occasionally, but the silly bickering by the usual subjects reminds me why I left.  :'( :'(

Congrats AVT, good to hear you're well and keeping busy.  :cheers:

Congrats on the Scoob.  ;D

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2009, 09:19:38 pm »
I think once AVT gets close to TO that we should have a little get togther.
When will you be in the area AVT?
Railton

What a lovely thought! Unfortunately, I won't know until I see how well MY body is holding up to the travel. I leave from the Lower Mainland in the wee hours the 22nd. I could be there on the 29th (or the 28th, or the 30th, or ...). Safety is my primary concern - driving tired is as bad as driving drunk or stoned.

Hi Snowy. Thanks for the offer. I might just POSSIBLY want to take you up on your offer. Too many factors unclear as yet yo make any real plans.

No problem just let me know if you need a place to crash. I can pm contact info if you need it.

dorin

« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2009, 11:22:02 pm »
All the best on your adventure Ross.  Will you be hitting Ottawa?

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2009, 04:08:45 am »
AVT, have a good trip.  BC's lose is NS gain.  I am sure you and Daf will have a blast going across the country, something I want to do at some time too.

And good choice in vehicle and colour  ;)
2016 Subaru Forester XT

barrie1

« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2009, 12:37:00 pm »
I hope the weather is great for safe driving and the traffic stays away from bothering you as well so you can relax and enjoy the drive. There's a lot to see in crossing Canada and most of it is very beautiful as well. Keep a camera handy as you will have lots of chances to take some really nice shots.  :)

avtoller

« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2009, 08:42:47 am »
All the best on your adventure Ross.  Will you be hitting Ottawa?

Thanks dorin. No, Ottawa would mean a substantial side trip, and since I stopped in Ottawa during 2 of my 3 cross-country drives in the past, I'll have to forgo the pleasure this time. I haven't told Daffi, and what she doesn't know won't hurt me.  ;)

As for the trip being a blast for Daffi and me, well I hope so, but I rather doubt it. If all goes as planned, I will be under some time pressure to reach NS. That means long drives with frequent shortish stops for the two of us to stretch our legs, but not much else, and she will be in her travel crate for hours on end. Real exploration will have to wait until we reach the Promised Land.  ;D ;D

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2009, 09:19:11 am »
Hey there AVT!

Long time no speak!

Will you be going through Montreal on your journey east?  If so, let me know when.  I'd like to meet the famous Daffi (and you of course ;D) in person.
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

avtoller

« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2009, 10:57:21 am »
Hey there AVT!

Long time no speak!

Will you be going through Montreal on your journey east?  If so, let me know when.  I'd like to meet the famous Daffi (and you of course ;D) in person.

The last two times I drove through Montreal were traumatic, but yes, I guess I will. Perhaps you could show me where to get so REAL smoked meat (and teach me how to keep it lit  ::) ;D). Daffi, of course, is happy to meet almost anyone. Perhaps once I get to Toronto we could arrange something. I would like that.

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2009, 12:08:28 pm »
Hey there AVT!

Long time no speak!

The last two times I drove through Montreal were traumatic, but yes, I guess I will. Perhaps you could show me where to get so REAL smoked meat (and teach me how to keep it lit  ::) ;D). Daffi, of course, is happy to meet almost anyone. Perhaps once I get to Toronto we could arrange something. I would like that.

Done!  (pending your arrival date of course.  I'll be out of town for the Victoria day long weekend).

I'll try to line up a few places or at least one where we eat, drink and be full. ;D ;D

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2009, 03:21:53 pm »

.... Daffi, of course, is happy to meet almost anyone.....

As shown by the fact she was happy to meet me   :o :D

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2009, 10:00:14 pm »
Good luck on your trip, AVT!  I just got into Toronto this afternoon, and the drive was fantastic.  If you go through the States, there's lots of very nice rest stops and some equally nice towns to stop in.  It's a long trip, but it's a lot of fun - even if you're just driving. :)

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2009, 10:05:16 pm »
Which way you going AVT?  If you are going across Canada (not through the USA) I would expect you to hit Ottawa well before Toronto (Toronto would be out of the way).

avtoller

« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2009, 01:36:53 am »
I will NOT be going through the States - no possibility!!! I have a long standing (and highly desirable) commitment to drive through the CoU. I know that taking the northern route through Ottawa would be shorter and easier (by far), but some things are just too important to miss.  ;D ;D

My best guess for arrival in Montreal would be May 30-31, or perhaps a day or two later if I'm having a difficult time staying alert with the extensive driving. Better late than dead (the other kind of "late"). I leave on the 22nd, I have to be in NS on the 4th of June. All else is detail.

I just got back from a rather difficult parting with my oldest (and most long-term) friends. As they are considerably older than me (they just celebrated their 50th anniversary) and both have cancer issues, it is obvious we will never see each other again. Difficult after 35 years through thick and thin. Another difficult parting coming up tomorrow. <sigh>  :'(

baumer00

« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2009, 01:28:44 pm »
Wow, talk about life changes Ross.  Keep us posted on your trip if you can and when you'll be in Toronto, I'll try to make it out for that.

dorin

« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2009, 12:40:19 am »
Ross, for what it's worth:

Toronto -> Montreal via 401 and 20 = 541 km

Toronto -> Ottawa via 401 and 416 = 450 km

Toronto -> Ottawa via 401, 115 and 7 = 402 km

Ottawa -> Montreal via 417 and 40 = 194 km

So depending on which route you would take from Toronto to Ottawa, going by Ottawa on the way from Toronto to Montreal only adds 55 km on the low end or 103 km on the high end.  That's a detour, but not a major one.  It only adds about 1 hour or less to the driving time...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2009, 07:48:50 am »
I will NOT be going through the States - no possibility!!! I have a long standing (and highly desirable) commitment to drive through the CoU. I know that taking the northern route through Ottawa would be shorter and easier (by far), but some things are just too important to miss.  ;D ;D

Stopping in the Fort Erie area?
If you want to stop in Cobourg for coffee I can PM my cell

avtoller

« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2009, 02:11:16 pm »
Ross, for what it's worth:

Toronto -> Montreal via 401 and 20 = 541 km

Toronto -> Ottawa via 401 and 416 = 450 km

Toronto -> Ottawa via 401, 115 and 7 = 402 km

Ottawa -> Montreal via 417 and 40 = 194 km

So depending on which route you would take from Toronto to Ottawa, going by Ottawa on the way from Toronto to Montreal only adds 55 km on the low end or 103 km on the high end.  That's a detour, but not a major one.  It only adds about 1 hour or less to the driving time...

But, but, but - I might get contaminated by politicians or at least politics. Definitely a fate worse than death.  :o ;D

Well, if you can make it worth my while, ...  ;) ;) ;D

"Wow, talk about life changes Ross.  Keep us posted on your trip if you can and when you'll be in Toronto, I'll try to make it out for that."

I don't do things by half measure. I would very much like to meet you if possible. By the time I hit Manitoba I should have a pretty good idea of when I'll get to Toronto, and will post when I can.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2009, 03:16:39 pm »
Geez, with the number of people wanting to see you Ross I'm not sure you'll ever make it out east!

Great to see you again and you got an 'oh, wow' response from me on the move, and complete shock on the Yaris sale. Congrats on big things ahead - the drive, Forester (one of my favourites!), and house & land. I've also been contemplating moving to rural NS in the next couple of years - was looking around the area you bought specifically, so would really like to hear your impressions once there.

And yes, I'll take a number along with the rest and would like to see you if you wind up passing through the #1 city in the world  ... Oshawa   :rofl: (okay, okay, Toronto ranks up there too ;D).
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 03:18:56 pm by sirAQUAMAN64 »
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!