Author Topic: Whatever happened to...  (Read 22625 times)

von_khan

Whatever happened to...
« on: May 05, 2009, 08:59:57 pm »
I remember some old posters on here when I joined that used to post here all the time... never see them around any more.

Off the top of my head I can think of

Mdxtasy
A4_tom
S60
Sterling
AVToller

Did they just stop visiting or something more dramatic?

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
Re: Whatever happened to...
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 09:03:48 pm »
MDX got tired of the place and left.
Similar issue for AVT.

Never knew the others. :P
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 09:06:18 pm »
AV just figured he was spending too much time here. He picked up more outside interests. He still checks in occasionally, but rarely posts.

MD was pretty busy with his business and new child (IIRC).

Don't know much more than that.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 09:17:33 pm »
I think he got a new girlfriend and dumped us. 

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"

von_khan

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 09:39:24 pm »
http://www.canadiandriver.com/forum/index.php/topic,62197.0.html

Yeah that... not our finest moment..  :-X

What about S60 and A4_Tom? They used to be all over this board.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 09:52:23 pm »
I like a lot of the people on this site, but having every thread deteriorate into fan wars is getting really old.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 10:33:15 pm »
Holy smokes... I completely missed that thread.  I was busy spreading sunshine and rainbows everywhere else, and becoming Sir Osisisisis's new mom.   ;D

In all seriousness, I do get tired of the bullcaca that flies in some threads.  The recent Infiniti G37 review by James is a case in point.  I won't mention any names, although the head-butting there was reasonably civilized.

One of the things I like about this board is its even-handed moderation.  I've been on other boards where, if you stray ONE iota from the topic, your post gets deleted.  If you try to quote someone else to rebut or argue, your post gets deleted.  If you simply post a smiley or an ROFL, your post gets deleted.  Granted, that's an extreme example, but it does exist.

James can't read every thread and be everywhere.  Neither can I, although I try.  If, as a denizen of this forum (and a stakeholder in the integrity of this board by virtue of being a member) you see something that really needs to be addressed, SAY SO!  Just click on the "I don't like what this clown is saying" link at the bottom of the post, and call attention to it.  James gets the note immediately.

Personal attacks and ad hominem arguments, in the grand scheme of things, are completely unnecessary and should be avoided.  But, we're all human, and sometimes it's difficult to control that impulse.  I've fallen into that trap in the past (when we were much smaller), and am still working on biting my tongue some days.  I'd like to think I'm getting better at it.

The more the membership grows, the more difficult it is to keep tabs on everyone and everything.  I, for one, am proud of this forum, for the most part.  Where I cringe is when I see those nasty name-calling exchanges.  I am currently taking an evening class, and one of the rules of engagement is, "Criticize ideas, not people."  I wish it was applied more evenly here, because I keep thinking about guests who read what's going before signing up.  How many have we turned off?

We are an excellent resource for all things automotive in Canada (and the U.S., perhaps).  I think we should all be proud of that, and maybe temper our responses to others with the idea that the whole world is watching -- including your kids, your families and your coworkers.  One doesn't need to get nasty to make one's point.  And, if the emotional temperature is too high, walk away or ignore the post/thread/member... whatever it takes.

I'm not sure what other solutions anyone may have, but I'd be interested in hearing other perspectives. 

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 10:42:10 pm »
I like a lot of the people on this site, but having every thread deteriorate into fan wars is getting really old.

Liberal use of the ignore function can actually help make some threads readable. 

UmroAyyar

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 10:44:19 pm »

Liberal use of the ignore function can actually help make some threads readable. 

Nope, being adult or behaving like one and dealing with one's own emotions would really help. :)

von_khan

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 10:50:35 pm »
Thread derailment in typical CTC fashion. ;D

But adding to this, I think it would help if people debated the same way as if they were there in person. Otherwise they fall prey to Internet A$$hole syndrome.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2009, 11:31:14 pm »

This user is ignored

Who said that?  :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2009, 11:58:02 pm »
Did they just stop visiting or something more dramatic?

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2009, 12:36:34 am »
Didn't A4_tom get run out of town for posting BS about his fantasy garage?

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2009, 12:40:39 am »
Didn't A4_tom get run out of town for posting BS about his fantasy garage?

That rings a bell. I forget the specifics.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2009, 08:30:48 am »
What about Julie?  She used to be pretty active around these parts, too...

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2009, 08:33:59 am »
Oh Julie!  I forgot about Julie!  She was like a kid in a Candy store at the autoshow!

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2009, 08:48:03 am »
S60 still posts on this forum, but under a new name...

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2009, 09:13:14 am »
We are an excellent resource for all things automotive in Canada (and the U.S., perhaps).  I think we should all be proud of that, and maybe temper our responses to others with the idea that the whole world is watching -- including your kids, your families and your coworkers.  One doesn't need to get nasty to make one's point.  And, if the emotional temperature is too high, walk away or ignore the post/thread/member... whatever it takes.
:thumbup:  I can't add anything to that.

AVToller?  Where are you?  We need an update on Charlie.   ;D
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

avtoller

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2009, 10:09:02 am »

AVToller?  Where are you?  We need an update on Charlie.   ;D

Funny, I just did one of my rare check-ins and saw this thread.

Charlie just turned 2-years on April 24. He is bold, looks a lot like his mom, and is thoroughly loved by everyone who meets him - just like Daffi. We will see him on May 21 as we leave Vancouver Island for the last time.

Things have changed a lot. Daffi decided that she wanted to go back to her roots, so I sold the house and Yaris, bought a 2009 Forester (looks exactly like Trainman's), and we head for our new home in Nova Scotia in 2 weeks. The Great Trek East is the start of our final Great Adventure.

I'm enjoying the Forester immensely. It has some of the character of my beloved 2001 Forester, but it seems improved in almost every regard. It should make living in rural Lunenburg County much easier than it would have been with the Yaris.  ;)  I have an offer in on a place I've never seen, and will know more by tomorrow evening.

Aren't you glad you asked?

Incidentally, I do drop by occasionally, but the silly bickering by the usual subjects reminds me why I left.  :'( :'(