Author Topic: Whatever happened to...  (Read 22621 times)

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
Re: Whatever happened to...
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2009, 10:14:24 am »

AVToller?  Where are you?  We need an update on Charlie.   ;D

Things have changed a lot. Daffi decided that she wanted to go back to her roots, so I sold the house and Yaris, bought a 2009 Forester (looks exactly like Trainman's), and we head for our new home in Nova Scotia in 2 weeks. The Great Trek East is the start of our final Great Adventure.

I'm enjoying the Forester immensely. It has some of the character of my beloved 2001 Forester, but it seems improved in almost every regard. It should make living in rural Lunenburg County much easier than it would have been with the Yaris.  ;)  I have an offer in on a place I've never seen, and will know more by tomorrow evening.

Oh really? Lunenburg is beautiful, especially in the summer. I'll be heading up in July for work I believe so we should meet up!

Congrats on the new Subie too, looks great! I've always liked the Forrester.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2009, 10:17:23 am »
Congrats Ross, moving clear across the country!  Wow!

Offline DockMan

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2009, 10:19:09 am »
WOW!  :o

Big move, hope it is a great adventure.
Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all. - John W. Gardner

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2009, 10:28:42 am »

Things have changed a lot. Daffi decided that she wanted to go back to her roots, so I sold the house and Yaris, bought a 2009 Forester (looks exactly like Trainman's), and we head for our new home in Nova Scotia in 2 weeks. The Great Trek East is the start of our final Great Adventure.

I'm enjoying the Forester immensely. It has some of the character of my beloved 2001 Forester, but it seems improved in almost every regard. It should make living in rural Lunenburg County much easier than it would have been with the Yaris.  ;)  I have an offer in on a place I've never seen, and will know more by tomorrow evening.

Goin' down Blue Rocks you?

My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2009, 10:31:29 am »
Julie decided to cut time on this forum I believe, focus on work, or investing, or something.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2009, 10:32:44 am »
Julie decided to cut time on this forum I believe, focus on work, or investing, or something.
She is an MD is she not?   Probably quite busy enough without spending time here.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

avtoller

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2009, 10:34:24 am »

Nah, hopefully I will be just outside of Bridgewater on a river rather than the ocean. Nice little acreage with a small house and a garage for the Forester.  ;) ;D

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2009, 10:51:36 am »
What a change? :o
Are you able to go the reasons for the change?
From Great Lakes to West coast  to East Coast
The weather sure will be different  :o

http://www.bridgewater.ca/

You will only be a 20 mins from Halifax
At least you with not have pay premium price for Kieth's beer in NS ;D 

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2009, 11:07:48 am »
Ross - wow....!!!! Many changes. Congrats on the new Forester AND the big MOVE.  :thumbup: :thumbup:

I have been in the South Shore and Lunenberg area of NS many times (ex-wife from that area). It is very pretty in the 3 seasons and the winters can be endured.... ;)

Last time I was in the area, property was relatively inexpensive so your housing dollar can go a long way.

All the Best to you and Daffi. She looks like she continues to be your wonderful friend. Thanks for the pix of Daffi and Forester. Good luck with the big drive and with your new (sight unseen) place in NS.

Check back with us once you are settled. Cheers.  :) :)
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

avtoller

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2009, 11:11:45 am »
What a change? :o
Are you able to go the reasons for the change?
From Great Lakes to West coast  to East Coast
The weather sure will be different  :o

http://www.bridgewater.ca/

You will only be a 20 mins from Halifax
At least you with not have pay premium price for Kieth's beer in NS ;D 

Bridgewater is about 95 km from Halifax - not 20 minutes the way I drive, but your mileage (and speed) may vary.  :o ;D I don't drink so Keith can keep his beer all to himself.

The move is all about symmetry. I spent my first 20.5 years in the Great Lakes area, 41 years on the West Coast, so I need to spend the next 20.5 on the East Coast.  ;)

A change in venue seemed in order as I have few attachments here, and I was getting stale (rancid according to some). I know that if I don't make a change now, I probably never will, so ... Besides, I've meant to take up cross-country skiing for more than 30 years, and now I'll have to.  :o :rofl2:

Thanks for your good wishes, Ovr. I'll wave as I drive past your home on the 22nd.  ;)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2009, 11:14:56 am »
I guess I was driving a little fast, or because I never been there before , it did not seem that far

Have a great adventure

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2009, 12:30:50 pm »
AV - what a shocker. :o The moss never did have a chance to grow under your feet but to head that far EAST and endure the need for SNOW TIRES is one Halifax of a change.

Everything there is different and now you will have to also learn the HST rules. On the other hand I think the people are more friendly and I'm sure with Daffi there with you she will help break the ice - and be prepared for lots of that!

I personally hope you will share your journey with us and tell us how much you are enjoying your new ToySub or Subatoy as I call ours. Good luck and safe driving.

vdk

« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2009, 01:58:26 pm »
People on the east coast are very very friendly, I'm sure you'll love it there. Have a great trip, best of luck.

UmroAyyar

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2009, 02:02:47 pm »

AVToller?  Where are you?  We need an update on Charlie.   ;D

Funny, I just did one of my rare check-ins and saw this thread.

Charlie just turned 2-years on April 24. He is bold, looks a lot like his mom, and is thoroughly loved by everyone who meets him - just like Daffi. We will see him on May 21 as we leave Vancouver Island for the last time.

Aren't you glad you asked?

Incidentally, I do drop by occasionally, but the silly bickering by the usual subjects reminds me why I left.  :'( :'(

Hello, CTC dweller here.  :hello:

Daffi is going back to her roots, you're back to a bigger, better Forester and off to touch another ocean. Have fun, do keep us posted about the weather and your walks sometimes and Forester of course.

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2009, 03:28:00 pm »
Best wishes AVToller....

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2009, 03:45:44 pm »

Nah, hopefully I will be just outside of Bridgewater on a river rather than the ocean. Nice little acreage with a small house and a garage for the Forester.  ;) ;D

I think there's a good Subie dealer there, friends of mine moved to Ont from Lunenburg, she bought her Subies in Bridgewater.

Watch out for the HMCS Fraser!

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2009, 05:08:30 pm »
Thanks for the update, AV.  I hope your adventure turns out better than you could have hoped.  :)
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2009, 05:10:58 pm »
I think once AVT gets close to TO that we should have a little get togther.
When will you be in the area AVT?
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

avtoller

« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2009, 05:25:21 pm »
Thanks for all your good wishes. BTW, I didn't mean to hijack the thread. I just happened to make one of my rare visits, and it seemed appropriate to respond. Perhaps this is just one more bit of evidence to support the claim that I really am psychotic, uh, psychic.  ??? ??? :rofl: :rofl2:

The place I hope to buy is within 10 km of the Subie dealer - I hope it is good, but of course I will never need more than routine service.  ::) ;D

By the time the Forester (still unnamed) is 5 weeks old, it will have about 8,000 km on the clock!! It should be well broken in.

Don't expect to many updates on the way. I haven't done that kind of intensive driving since my last visit to NS in 1976. That involved driving from Vancouver to San Francisco, then to Halifax, and back to Vancouver - camping all the way while driving a overused Mazda pickup with a bad transmission and a cracked block. This would be a piece of cake by comparison if I were not now the "overused" bit of equipment. I'll drive according to my stamina. Not sure I will be up to filing reports from handy wifi sites.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2009, 05:27:41 pm »
Welcome back Ross and congrats on the move and the new Scoob! You have to drive through Sudbury on the way east so you and Charlie can crash at our home if you want. My place is turning in to the Hilton lately with all the east west travelers this past year.