Author Topic: Car Shopping  (Read 4406 times)

Offline hoss

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-1
    • View Profile
Car Shopping
« on: March 17, 2009, 08:42:53 pm »
Just got home from a day of shopping for a new small Hatchback, some observations:

Honda Fit Liked it more then I thought I would.  I seem to "Fit" in it.  (I'm 6'5")  3000 RPM at 100 KPH,  a little buzzy maybe.  Kind of like a go cart on steroids, reminds me of my old Integra. Lots of cargo room.  Good quality.  I found the clutch great (some reviewers hate how light it is)

Hyundai Elantra Touring  Like the size, ride.  I felt the interior was a bit on the cheap side.  It was OK, but the carpet was almost felt with no nap at all. Seats where high (good, I`m old), but it seemed like you where falling forward a bit. No traction controll at any price.(the US cars seem much nicer).  Back seat is amazing lots of room my 6`6`son can ride back there.

Kia Soul Did not even drive it.  The dealership had 2.  Both where locked (why would you lock a car on the floor)  Now I`m not really a stickler for fit and finish, but the Soul was terrible.  One car had trim falling off the side.  The interior on it (a Soul 2U) would not have looked out of place on a Daiwoo.  Did not even drive one.

Matrix  Good luck! There are no 1.8 sticks left, wait for the 2010.  Nice to have 0%, might of well have it for 20 years when you don`t have any cars.

Vibe  Seemed to have the same quality as the Matrix or better.  Better choice of options. Not as much leg room as the Touring, same ride and wind noise. With the Cash back, nice price.  I really liked the shifter the equal of the Fit.

Interesting note:  When you factor in Cash Back, or low interest rates,  all of these cars are much the same price.  (air, stick, power windows, locks, and few other features).  Now I will have to see if my bicycle can fit in the back of a couple of these.  I think I will try it in the Vibe, Touring, and perhaps the Fit. 

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
Re: Car Shopping
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 08:55:39 pm »
The Fit will definietly fit a bike inside...

I don't know about the new Vibe/Matrix, but I found the cargo area to be pretty bad (too high, not deep enough) in the older version, and the plastic floor to be annoying. The cargo area in my Protege5 is much more useful, IMO.

Did you try the Mazda3 Hatch?

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 11:03:39 pm »
Matrix  Good luck! There are no 1.8 sticks left, wait for the 2010.  Nice to have 0%, might of well have it for 20 years when you don`t have any cars.

Where you at ?  :)

Leviathan

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 11:54:30 pm »
Good list. How about a Mazda3 with the 2.0L or a Saturn Astra?

Offline hoss

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 07:53:39 am »
Mazda 3 When I checked last week there where only 3 in the entire province. (2009)  with 2 litre hatch stick shifts.  I like the 3. A little more expensive then the rest.

Saturns really worry me re: parts in the future (we keep a car for a long time).  They are rebadged Opels and are built in Belgium.  When Saturn is gone by 2011 how easy will it be to find parts?

Articsteve I'm about a hour north of London.  (I'd be willing to travel to find the right car)

Offline Wetson

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +10/-3
  • Moi
    • View Profile
    • My real estate website
  • Cars: 2019 Acura TLX SH-AWD Elite, 2018 Audi S5 Cabriolet
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 08:17:49 am »
I saw a new vibe the other day and liked it.  Looks way better than the previous gen.  Try the Saturn Astra too.
North American manufacturers need business so if you like the product.... go for it!  I would have gotten the Cadillac CTS when I bought my TL but the lease rate was way too high and the sales guy had a nonchalant attitude.   I got 1.9 % for 4 years.  Caddy was something like 5 or 6 % at the time.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 08:42:09 am »
My parents are looking for similar cars - had a serious snowstorm head-on accident in their '04 Elantra (other driver's fault). Won't be buying for a few months (she's in the hospital with a broken knee/leg - cue Articsteve now) but scoping them out now with my dad. You're right, they're all similarly priced and equiped.

The Elantra Touring really impressed me. I liked nearly everything about it. The equipment overall is extremely generous, the quality seemed very good, and the room hard to beat for this segment. Sunroof cuts into headroom for me being 6-4. No, it won't be a rally rocket, but pretty well suited to my parents. I was thinking they should get something a little taller, but since my step-mom is so short the height adjustable seat should be enough. Have yet to drive it but will.

The Vibe is what my step-mom really wanted, but she's never seen an Elantra Touring to compare. Driving the Vibe feels very disconnected, especially the steering (on the GT it's very heavy when parking and light at speed, on the 1.8L light all over). Not super quick, but better than I thought it would be on the highway considering the mileage this engine gets. I don't like the hard plastic cargo area, nor the smaller size versus the Touring. The interior materials weren't all that great IMO either, but you know the car will last. The cash price is good, but likely harder to finance being a GM.

Sat in the Kia Soul. It's very roomy up front (even with roof) and the perfect height. However, felt quite narrow and the plastics were all very hard and cheap feeling/sounding. The rear cargo area is quite 'compact'. With a better quality interior and more cargo area this would have been a contender.

Looked at the Kia Rondo too because of the height and cash discount with 0% offers. May be too much vehicle, and too little fuel economy, but will revisit it later.

Did not yet drive the Fit, but I've been in them a few times now. I personally want to love it but typically walk away disappointed. However, it's an unbelieveably spacious and versatile car considering the size. Thinking it may be too low on power (would be buying an auto) though. Will go look at them and take a drive soon.

Was considering the '09 Mazda3 Sport but doesn't appear the deal is good enough and not exactly what they're after with that being the case. Mazda5 front seats don't have enough seat travel rearward to be comfy for me or my dad.

Car shopping is fun, especially when I'm not the one paying for it!  ;D
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 08:44:40 am by sirAQUAMAN64 »
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

vdk

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 01:22:23 pm »
Astra's go for CHEAP!

A fully loaded one is ~$16k. Cashback is $5k or thereabouts. It's a really nice car to boot!

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 02:42:36 pm »
My order of preference would be:

Touring
Fit
Vibe/Matrix
Soul

But it comes down to which one feels best for you.

Offline mwqa

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +10/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Suzuki SX4
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 03:52:51 pm »
Being tall, try the Suzuki SX4 too.

I have a 6'6" friend who thinks the driving position is wonderfully spacious.

You'd have to live with the big "A" pillars, which obstruct the view somewhat. Although, one of my neighbour's has one and she doesn't mind them.

Bring along your son - I'm not sure if he'll fit in the back, as one of the quirks of the car is a 'stadium seating' second row.  :)

Leviathan

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 04:28:26 am »
From ford.ca build & price:

2009 Escape Sport Utility XLT Manual  4dr FWD
Base MSRP†      $24,499
Packages
    * Order Code 325A    $0
Powertrain
    * Engine: Duratec 2.5L I4   Included
    * Transmission: 5-Speed Manual  Included
    * 2.93 Axle Ratio   Included
    * GVWR: 2,041 kgs (4,500 lb) Payload Package   Included
    * 103" Wheelbase    STD
Options
    * Wheels: 16" Aluminum    Included
    * Tires: P235/70R16 AS OWL   Included
    * Premium Cloth Buckets w/60/40 Split Rear Seat   Included
    * Radio: AM/FM Single CD/MP3 Capable  Included
    * Monotone Paint Application     STD

AC Tax      $100
Destination Fee    $1,350
Total MSRP*    $25,949
Delivery Allowance*    - $5,000
MSRP Less Discounts      $20,949

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12407
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 03:27:14 pm »
Fit owner here.  Could not be happier.  ;D

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Agiledood

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +32/-11
    • View Profile
    • Visit my site
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 04:40:15 pm »
I was really impressed with the SX4 after checking it out at the autoshow...very roomy for a compact, nice materials, comfy and seemed to have above average backseat space and trunk space in the sedan. 
2019 Mazda 3 GS-L, 2013 Ram 1500 and an EV that cost 5 times what my Mazda3 costs but is louder with a crappier interior.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2009, 04:46:09 pm »
..tho' i liked tha SX4 and the original FIT and Versa...............fer some reason i couldna PULL tha TRIGGER..........seems ole MILLIE..had a PULL on me........when that SUPER blows i GOES............didn't wanna give up that feeling and semi LUX features...(heated seats,6 cd playa,auto heat,sunroof) and tha swell looks fer a wee sub compacter....would be like wearing depends vs having a great big HORSE PHISSH (Hospice OKAY?)................ ;D :shuffle:..mybe when i'm feelin bladder...................... :D..black adder..................
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 04:47:57 pm by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline hoss

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2009, 07:31:27 pm »
Jaeger How do you find your Fit to be on the highway.?
99% of my driving is on rural highway with 80 -90 km speed limits.  I again drove a Fit today and wondered about it after a couple of hours at 90 kms, (several reviewers have said they thought the Fit needed another gear). 

The room in the back of the Fit is huge.

Thanks

carsncars

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2009, 04:56:49 pm »
The SX4 is nice feature-wise and driving-wise, but I just can't stand the placement of the A-pillars! I find myself looking "around" them at every intersection. It was enough to totally rule the car out for me. The Fit's pillars, while also forward-reaching, didn't bother me as much.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12407
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2009, 09:22:58 am »
Jaeger How do you find your Fit to be on the highway.?
99% of my driving is on rural highway with 80 -90 km speed limits.  I again drove a Fit today and wondered about it after a couple of hours at 90 kms, (several reviewers have said they thought the Fit needed another gear). 

The room in the back of the Fit is huge.

Thanks

I find it fine on the highway - but you have to hold reasonable expectations given that it is a small car with a short wheelbase and fairly firm suspension.  All those factors make it fun, flickable and responsive around town, but do not contribute to a limo-like highway ride.

At 90 km/hr you will be ABSOLUTELY FINE -  and you will get insanely good mileage as well.  I agree that this car could really use a 6th gear, but that need doesn't  start to reveal itself below 120.  My wife and I have done a couple 2-3hr highway runs in the Fit and find it a competent cruiser.  For longer trips we would opt for the Altima, but really, at moderate speeds the Fit does just fine.  Also keep in mind that the automatic has slightly taller gearing than the stick, so it does a bit better on the highway.  For me, there is no way I would trade the fun factor of that flickable little gearshift, but others have different priorities.

On the A-pillar issue - easily one of my favourite features on the Fit are the large front quarter windows that do much to eliminate what is a massive blind spot on other cars.  Outward visibility in this thing is excellent and particularly appreciated when negotiating crowded urban streets.

Good luck with your choice.

Jaeger

Offline hoss

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2009, 07:13:42 pm »
Man am I being an old lady about this.  (not trying to be offensive to any old ladies out there).

The Elantra Touring is very nice but I would like to buy a car from a company who builds in Canada.

I think it is down to the Vibe/Matrix or the Fit.

Matrix I like the style, wife likes the Vibe,  great local dealer, will tow a small trailer and can put roof racks on it.  I ride my bike a lot and paddle.  Somewhat poor test results, unsettled ride and numb steering.  I really didn't notice this.  I did notice a somewhat cramped front seat.

Vibe Matrix clone with traction controll, don't like the looks.  Great red colour (wife)

Fit   Love the looks.  The interior is amazing.  A little short of leg room I'm 6'5", forget the front armrest way too short. Seat bottom a little short. Drives a lot like my old Integra.  Worried about the 3000 rpm at 100 km. (Honda's always where spinners) Great reviews.  Really a fun funky car.  $2000.00 cheaper then comparable Matrix.  Will it hold up seems a little "toy like".
Jaeger your Fit is one of my colour choices, the other is the Silver I thought I would like Red but it looks a little cheap on the Fit.

Anyone, feel free to sway me. It's almost time to "S##t or get off the pot" as my grandmother used to say.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2009, 07:32:49 pm »
Our Mk1 Fit has had no faults at all in 2 years.... but it has only done 16000kms in that time
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2009, 07:33:57 pm »
(not trying to be offensive to any old ladies out there).

No offense taken.  But I sure pull the trigger faster than you.   ;D