Author Topic: Buying a house in Florida - Advice?  (Read 25439 times)

Offline DockMan

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-3
    • View Profile
Re: Buying a house in Florida - Advice?
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2010, 07:52:49 am »
Here is some good news. I guess we might want to hold off on that purchase plan......

http://europac.net/externalframeset.asp?id=18171

Property Values Projected To Fall 12 Percent In 2010
By Michael David White    

NewObservations.net projects residential real estate prices will fall 12 percent nationwide in 2010.

Our average of four major indexes predicts a total fall in prices of 34% from peak to stable trend. The total fall of 34% is based upon a current loss across four number sets of 19%.

The timing and the total fall vary widely among the data. The most conservative picture of our total fall is a 20% loss. The most radical prediction is that values will fall 51% from peak to stable trend

Check out the article, the back up seems very good.
Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all. - John W. Gardner

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2010, 08:16:56 am »
 :iagree:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2010, 04:35:57 pm »
We have a real estate agent looking for us in Cape Coral, FL (Fort Myers). 4 year old homes in gated communities are going for $90,000. I am not sure if they have Chinese Drywall or not. We have family in Fort Myers, who can occasionally take care of a place, so thats a bonus.

An example:
http://www.homes.com/listing/88715679/2710_Blue_Cypress_Lake_Ct_CAPE_CORAL_FL_33909
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 04:40:15 pm by 2hondas »

Offline 99 Silver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +17/-8
  • Dog lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2010, 05:09:24 pm »
A quick check for chinese drywall is to remove an outlet and examine the bare ground wire.  If it is tarnished black, it probably has it.  Google is your friend for more information.

Somewhre in the order of 30k will replace the drywall.  PM me if you need the name of a contractor for the work.
Jerry
Kitchener
13 Boxster
17 Lexus RX350
In the past: 12 Acura TL, 04 MazdaSpeed Miata, 07 Infiniti M35, 05 Infiniti G35x, 03 Infiniti G35, 99 Acura 3.2TL, 99 Miata, 95 Chrysler Sebring, 93 Ford Probe GT, 93 Chrysler Concorde, 89 Taurus SHO, 86 Taurus, 79 Mazda RX7

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2010, 05:43:07 pm »
I have been evaluating several options over the past few months and will be in Florida on three separate occasions this year looking around as I plan to retire in 8 years. I can buy a new 2300 sq. ft. house with everything including a pool for $130k USD or rent the same for $4000/month for 5 months fully furnished . Right now with my retirement budget I am thinking the renting option is less risky and provides me with flexibility.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2010, 08:31:31 pm »
We have considered buying a house in Arizona; but after considering all the pros and cons, have decided to retain our flexibility by renting. There are good rental prices out there now. We do not wish to be tied to only one place. We now plan to go to two of the Islands in Hawaii for a total of 9 weeks from Jan 2/11 until early Mar. Next year, maybe AZ or CA. Florida is too far for Western Canadians, and IMO, is not as pretty as either of CA or AZ. Just my Western arrogance.... ;) ;)
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline Minou

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-26
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Mazda 3 GS, 2016 Ford Edge SEL, 2016 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2010, 08:49:13 pm »
Voilà!

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2010, 08:48:48 am »
Nice!

olds442

« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2010, 01:02:05 pm »
Thought I would wake up this thread to see how everything worked out- logistically. Smooth? I have been considering moving from the dirty t.o. on, to Florida. With our dollar and the cost of a home in Fl., I am getting more serious. Help! :)

Offline Minou

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2010, 08:45:49 am »
Thought I would wake up this thread to see how everything worked out- logistically. Smooth? I have been considering moving from the dirty t.o. on, to Florida. With our dollar and the cost of a home in Fl., I am getting more serious. Help! :)

My biggest hurdles have been with the banks and we didn't borrow.  I strongly suggest that you open an account with an american bank before you go out and actually buy a property in the US.  Opening a US$ account from your canadian bank would also be a wise move if you don't have one.  Escrow agents and tax collectors won't accept payment if not from an american bank in US$.

It took me 3 visits to National Bank branches in Qb to have mine open and I have been with this bank for over 20 years...

I opened with Wachovia in Florida mostly because it's convenient with branches everywhere.  Their call center in Charlotte NC is basically uselees despite their good intentions.  I had to ask our real estate agent for a connection within a local branch to get everything started.  And then, there's all the paperwork asociated and what not that you have to fill and send out months after.  And because I don't have a US social security number I can't use Wachovia to pay my bills on the Internet or obtain a credit card.  But then, Wachovia Branches are bound to become Wells Fargo sometimes in 2011 so that may be rectified.

I also obtained a debit card from Wachovia and a credit card in US$ from another canadian Bank (CIBC).

I was cought resolving all of this as I was in the process of buying the property.  Everything is mostly OK for now.

Be weary of short sales and foreclosures as these homes may have been severely neglected over the years.  The process of negociating with banks is also longer and real estate agents are not very inclined to go this route.

Our house is generally in good condition despite some TLC needed with it being 33 years old but the location and the lot are great.  I replaced a bathroom faucet last fall and one toilet is leaking at the bottom and will have to be replaced, that kind of things.  A home inspection failed to see that the decorative posts and roof at the right corner of the garage were severely rotted from water infiltration and termites.  Cost me $800. to get that fixed.  Our area also has deed restrictions that have to be respected such as parking rules and lawn maintenance.

Overall I don't regret making the move because I could afford it and because of the severely depressed real estate prices in Florida but would have never done it at the current prices I see in Canada.  And get ready for a few surprises along the way.  Home insurance is very expensive with sink holes in our area or if you need flood insurance.  You also pay separate bills for water/sewer, garbage collection and stuff like that.

Mrs Minou and I put 2 hibiscus and dwarf palms in the front yard last october and a Phoenix Sylvestor palm is next...  Better than a snow shovel after all.  Can't wait to retire and winterize overthere.

Good luck with your transaction.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 08:55:15 am by Minou »

olds442

« Reply #50 on: December 26, 2010, 09:51:58 am »
Thank you very much for your info. It's the unexpected stuff that I'm concerned about and I just won't know what that may be until that time. All I can do is my best to research.
I am in a different situation than you as I have a young family and I want to move there. I have family that moved to Sarasota a few years ago and love it. Their neighborhood is not a flood zone and reasonable to insure. A house in that same area is very nice for what equity we have now.
Now the greencard......... I have been talking to an employer near by and he said he can wait for me and "help" with the greencard.
Moving the whole fam from T.O. to Fl. is a big deal, wife not really into it yet :) This is probably just a dream but unfortunately the time to buy is now..

Offline Minou

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 26, 2010, 10:13:16 am »
Moving overthere full time is definitely another ball game and something I can't really comment with all the implications, etc.  Better seek professionnal advice.

Offline 99 Silver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +17/-8
  • Dog lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 26, 2010, 04:33:31 pm »
I didn't move there as ours is a second home.

The things I noticed are:

1) My closing was delayed six weeks because the banks were overloaded with paperwork on forclosures like mine
2) Credit for utilities etc. was not a problem. No deposits were required.
3)  I had no problem setting up an account with Bank of America and using their electonic payment system.
I want a US credit card because the gas stations cause problems with a CDN card as they require you to enter in your zip code.  My bank wouldn't give me one at first without freezing a portion of the cash in the account so I didn't bother.  They can't check my CDN credit rating and use a social security number to do a US one (which I don't have). I use my US debit card for gas.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2010, 08:06:37 am »
I would like try this place for a month or two
http://www.meridahomes.com/eng_standard.php?id=302&offered=rent

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2010, 08:51:14 am »

That's an awesome little place.  Love it!   :thumbup:
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2010, 01:44:41 pm »
..Merida ..Magnifico.. :thumbup: :banana: :light:..an up and coming spot ferrr shurre................the Cancun and surrounds  BUBBLE is bursting at the seams and is so yesterday.....except fer SPRING BREAKERS and CHEAP HONEYMOONERS/BOOZE TILL U DROP SNOWTURDS......... ;)

CatsEye68

« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2010, 06:13:27 pm »

It looks smaller in the photos than the listing claims it to be. It looks tiny. I particularly like the plastic furniture. :)

The location looks really vulnerable. One good storm and I expect it might disappear. But for a monthly rental it might be fine.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2010, 06:17:46 pm »

It looks smaller in the photos than the listing claims it to be. It looks tiny. I particularly like the plastic furniture. :)

The location looks really vulnerable. One good storm and I expect it might disappear. But for a monthly rental it might be fine.

I'd say any place sitting directly on the Caribbean coast is vulnerable, no? 

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #58 on: December 28, 2010, 06:57:40 am »

::)
You can bet the weather like be a lot better in January there then any place in Canada

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2010, 07:07:24 am »

::)
You can bet the weather like be a lot better in January there then any place in Canada

Yes, the hurricane season has ended by January so good weather for rebuilding the place.
  :o ;D
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.