Author Topic: Motor Trend: Mustang bests Genesis Coupe V6  (Read 8810 times)

Mitlov

Motor Trend: Mustang bests Genesis Coupe V6
« on: March 14, 2009, 01:28:16 am »
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/112_0905_hyundai_genesis_coupe_mustang_fighter_or_cut_price_nissan_370z/index.html

Good read.  Shows things aren't nearly so simple as "Ford guys will buy Mustangs; GM guys will buy Camaros; everyone else will buy the Genesis Coupe," as some here have suggested.  (On the other hand, I think comparing either to a 370Z is a bit of a stretch because they're such different vehicles).

In a different vein [from the 370Z], if your most important requirement is a sport coupe that accommodates the spouse, kids, and gear and is still a hoot to scoot, the Mustang GT is the superior option. Its back seat is a smidge tighter, but its dynamics are just plain bigger, easily offsetting any deficiencies in light of the Genesis. The Mustang simply offers more speed, more agility, and more fun. Yet, it's more mature and refined. The Genesis is the car you take to the prom; the Mustang is the one you take to the reunion.

I know Jaeger posted this article in the "my Genesis Coupe test-drive" thread, but I thought it deserved its own thread.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 03:02:44 am by Mitlov »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7212
    • View Profile
Re: Motor Trend: Mustang bests Genesis Coupe
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 02:22:20 am »
Mitlov,

IIRC US pricing for the Mustang GT and 370Z base are about the same, aren't they??  In Canada, as usual, we get hosed.

370Z = $40K
Mustang GT = $37K
Hyundai Coupe = $33K

BARGAIN = Hyundai 4 banger turbo at $25K.  That ALOT of leftover cheddar for mods!!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Mitlov

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 02:31:35 am »
Mitlov,

IIRC US pricing for the Mustang GT and 370Z base are about the same, aren't they??  In Canada, as usual, we get hosed.

370Z = $40K
Mustang GT = $37K
Hyundai Coupe = $33K

BARGAIN = Hyundai 4 banger turbo at $25K.  That ALOT of leftover cheddar for mods!!

So long as you want the manic powerband of a tuned 2.0L four instead of a relatively smooth torque curves like the Genesis V6 and Ford V8 deliver, a highly-tuned Genesis 4-banger is the way to go. 

The price differences are indeed much closer in the US.  If I recall correctly, Genesis 2.0 starts at about $22,000 or $23,000, the Genesis V6 starts at about $27,000, the Mustang GT starts at about $27,000, and the 370Z starts at about $30,000.  So there's only about $4,000 separating the Genesis 2.0T and Mustang GT.  Far, far narrower price gap than in Canada. 

Personally, I'd rather have a stock Mustang GT than a turbo four Genesis with $4,000 in mods.  And I'd rather have a Mustang GT than a Genesis V6.  As for GT versus 370Z, that's a tricky one since they're different genres altogether...
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 02:36:33 am by Mitlov »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 02:42:00 am »
$4000?  LOL  I don't even think it would take that much.  Someone tossed on a GT35R turbo and the car made 300+ with ease.  Remember....this is pretty much the same engine as in the EVO X.  Millen will be drifting one of these this year too...he's a respected tuning outfit so I'd imagine there will be tuning parts galore.

But a Mustang GT is a pretty stout platform for modding too..and the 3V engine takes to FI like mad and puts up HUGE numbers!!

I've owned 3 Mustang GTs....so I'll always be a fan...

Offline G0dspd

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
  • Vroum Vroum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 02:56:13 am »
Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0l Upgraded Turbo Dyno Run

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_UN0cvXr7g
"Can we make this quick? I have to give a banana to Annie's Boobs."

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 02:58:32 am »
Wow.  Nice numbers for the smaller GT30R turbo!

Mitlov

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 03:02:28 am »
Okay, the turbo four Genesis was not mentioned AT ALL in the three-car shootout that this thread is all about... ;)

Stay on topic...stay on topic...

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009, 03:05:14 am »
And I am in the market for a coupe, and I would take none of them modded in the least.
Once the warranty is gone in about 5 years, I might start playing with some mods. Otherwise, give me the best stock vehicle, and of the 3, it seems to be the Mustang.

Actually, the best possible match for the Genesis 3.8 coupe is probably the Camaro. In LT trim, it is very comparable, and a LOT cheaper. The SS is not much more than the GT loaded.
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Re: Motor Trend: Mustang bests Genesis Coupe V6
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 03:12:42 am »
I understand.  But for some (like me) the mod-ability of a car is important.  Some of us like to tune up and modify our cars...and think it's one of the best parts of ownership.  So the total cost "bang for the buck" becomes an important factor.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12390
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2009, 08:54:47 am »
And I am in the market for a coupe, and I would take none of them modded in the least.
Once the warranty is gone in about 5 years, I might start playing with some mods. Otherwise, give me the best stock vehicle, and of the 3, it seems to be the Mustang.
Actually, the best possible match for the Genesis 3.8 coupe is probably the Camaro. In LT trim, it is very comparable, and a LOT cheaper. The SS is not much more than the GT loaded.

Best of the THREE is the Mustang?  Well, they did offer a very qualified preference for the Mustang among the three, but the bulk of the analysis was 'Stang versus Genesis and Z versus Genesis.

For a detailed Mustang versus Z comparison, look here for text and video:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Comparos/articleId=143666?tid=edmunds.il.home.photopanel..1.*

The results here coincide with my decidedly uninformed view - having driven neither.

Jaeger

« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 09:12:01 am by Jaeger »
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2009, 09:16:28 am »

Best of the THREE is the Mustang?  Well, they did offer a very qualified preference for the Mustang among the three, but the bulk of the analysis was 'Stang versus Genesis and Z versus Genesis.

For a detailed Mustang versus Z comparison, look here for text and video:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Comparos/articleId=143666?tid=edmunds.il.home.photopanel..1.*

The results here coincide with my decidedly uninformed view - having driven neither.

Jaeger

Are we reading the same test?
The Motor Trend guys seem pretty clear in their choice:

Conditions aside (see, Ford, it's not that difficult), were we left to pick just one of these rear-drive rockets, we'd opt for the Mustang. It's a close call, as some of the editors, including your scribe, chose the Z for its eye-watering speed and dizzying grip, but the Ford embodies the whole package. It delivers performance numbers on the heels of the Z's but doesn't limit roll call to two or subject the driver to the high-rpm crudeness of the Nissan's V-6.

It offers the conveniences of the Genesis yet makes no noticeable sacrifices on the street or track, delivering stats that seem fitting for a Cayman. Plus, neither the Genesis's 3.8 nor the Z's 3.7 can match the teeming torque and rapturous rumble of the Mustang's 4.6. In this case, there is no replacement for displacement.

Offline Iso Octane

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +0/-3
  • to the beat of the different drum
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2009, 01:05:17 pm »
I understand.  But for some (like me) the mod-ability of a car is important.  Some of us like to tune up and modify our cars...and think it's one of the best parts of ownership.  So the total cost "bang for the buck" becomes an important factor.

I've got absolutely no experience in modding.  But it seems to me that adding power isn't anywhere as easy as say, putting on some adjustable coilovers.  In addition to the hardware, there's engine management and tuning.  So you gotta get a garage with equipment and all that.  So in addition to hardware, labour, there's also experience and time.  What does it really take to get a power upgrade as reliable and handsoff as a stock vehicle?

I played around with the idea of turbo-ing the Miata.  "It's easy".  Sure an entry level kit is what $1700 only.  But there's all this other stuff and costs in the name of reliability because I don't want my car breaking down at the track.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2009, 03:07:01 pm »

I've got absolutely no experience in modding.  But it seems to me that adding power isn't anywhere as easy as say, putting on some adjustable coilovers.  In addition to the hardware, there's engine management and tuning.  So you gotta get a garage with equipment and all that.  So in addition to hardware, labour, there's also experience and time.  What does it really take to get a power upgrade as reliable and handsoff as a stock vehicle?

I played around with the idea of turbo-ing the Miata.  "It's easy".  Sure an entry level kit is what $1700 only.  But there's all this other stuff and costs in the name of reliability because I don't want my car breaking down at the track.

I have modded WRX’s for the last 7 years and there is so much in formation available on the internet as to who is the best tuner and what the best equipment is for the type of mod you are considering. I always put my trust into the people who do this for a living but James modded his S2000…. and it ain’t blowed up yet  :)

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2009, 03:23:30 pm »
It's parked for 6 months...then runs 1 minute spurts on Sundays  inna Summer........... :think: :shuffle:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12390
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2009, 03:34:52 pm »
Are we reading the same test?The Motor Trend guys seem pretty clear in their choice:

Conditions aside (see, Ford, it's not that difficult), were we left to pick just one of these rear-drive rockets, we'd opt for the Mustang. It's a close call, as some of the editors, including your scribe, chose the Z for its eye-watering speed and dizzying grip, but the Ford embodies the whole package. It delivers performance numbers on the heels of the Z's but doesn't limit roll call to two or subject the driver to the high-rpm crudeness of the Nissan's V-6.

It offers the conveniences of the Genesis yet makes no noticeable sacrifices on the street or track, delivering stats that seem fitting for a Cayman. Plus, neither the Genesis's 3.8 nor the Z's 3.7 can match the teeming torque and rapturous rumble of the Mustang's 4.6. In this case, there is no replacement for displacement.

Yeah we are - that's what I call a qualified opinion - as in "close call" and "some of the editors, including your scribe" chose the Z.

In comparison, the preference of the Edmunds edotirs for the Z over the Mustang was unqualified and crystal clear:

"If the 2010 Mustang proves a surprisingly capable handler, then the Z is nevertheless in another galaxy. You can see this in the way the 370Z grips harder on the skid pad at 0.94g to the Mustang's 0.91g, but the differences in capability are more prominently evidenced in the slalom. Here, the Z changes direction with more immediacy, returning a 72-mph slalom speed to the Mustang's 68.4 mph."

"No review involving the 2010 Ford Mustang would be complete without addressing the live axle. It has its benefits for launching and on billiard-table-smooth road-racing tracks, yet makes its compromises known to you in the real world far too often. Years of development still haven't reversed physics, and you're reminded of this every time the Mustang's rear end encounters a bump and pitches you vertically like a toddler on a parent's knee."

"The 370Z's helm is a revelation, quicker and far more precise than the Mustang, with a sporting heft and a chatty nature. Cornering loads build in direct proportion to the steering wheel input angle in a way that's intuitive and confidence-inspiring. You'd be hard-pressed to find better steering anywhere. Jump into the 370Z after wheeling the Mustang and you'll wonder why the Mustang is so sloppy."

"When it comes to delivering the best things about performance cars, the Z-car is a decathlete that leaps higher, throws farther and swims harder than the rest. If you can make the financial stretch for it, the 2009 Nissan 370Z will provide all the stimulus you need."

See the difference?

Just to put those slalom numbers into perspective, there was a greater difference between the Z and the Mustang in posted slalom speed, than there was between the Mustang and Edmunds own test of the Nissan Altima V6 SE - a FWD family sedan wearing skinny all-season tires.

While a nice "rumbly sounding" V8 will be the trump card for the Pony car faithful, it isn't with me.  When cars occupy a given segment, and in the absence of forced induction, displacement should count for more than nice sounds.  All else being comparable - a 6 should outperform a 4 and an 8 should outperform a 6 [assuming, of course that the extra pair of cylinders result in greater total displacement].  Here, the Mustang's rumbly V8 doesn't hustle it along with any significant advantage over the smaller 6 in the Z.  For me, that's a wash where it counts. 

Jaeger

« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 03:42:22 pm by Jaeger »

Offline Iso Octane

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +0/-3
  • to the beat of the different drum
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2009, 04:41:50 pm »

I have modded WRX’s for the last 7 years and there is so much in formation available on the internet as to who is the best tuner and what the best equipment is for the type of mod you are considering. I always put my trust into the people who do this for a living but James modded his S2000…. and it ain’t blowed up yet  :)
Of course there are always the success stories.  It just that, IMO, for joe averages like me, its not so easy to take advantage of the price difference.

Turnkey solutions are very compelling.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2009, 04:58:25 pm »
Are we reading the same test?The Motor Trend guys seem pretty clear in their choice:

Yeah we are - that's what I call a qualified opinion - as in "close call" and "some of the editors, including your scribe" chose the Z.

In comparison, the preference of the Edmunds edotirs for the Z over the Mustang was unqualified and crystal clear:

"If the 2010 Mustang proves a surprisingly capable handler, then the Z is nevertheless in another galaxy. You can see this in the way the 370Z grips harder on the skid pad at 0.94g to the Mustang's 0.91g, but the differences in capability are more prominently evidenced in the slalom. Here, the Z changes direction with more immediacy, returning a 72-mph slalom speed to the Mustang's 68.4 mph."

"No review involving the 2010 Ford Mustang would be complete without addressing the live axle. It has its benefits for launching and on billiard-table-smooth road-racing tracks, yet makes its compromises known to you in the real world far too often. Years of development still haven't reversed physics, and you're reminded of this every time the Mustang's rear end encounters a bump and pitches you vertically like a toddler on a parent's knee."

"The 370Z's helm is a revelation, quicker and far more precise than the Mustang, with a sporting heft and a chatty nature. Cornering loads build in direct proportion to the steering wheel input angle in a way that's intuitive and confidence-inspiring. You'd be hard-pressed to find better steering anywhere. Jump into the 370Z after wheeling the Mustang and you'll wonder why the Mustang is so sloppy."

"When it comes to delivering the best things about performance cars, the Z-car is a decathlete that leaps higher, throws farther and swims harder than the rest. If you can make the financial stretch for it, the 2009 Nissan 370Z will provide all the stimulus you need."

See the difference?

Just to put those slalom numbers into perspective, there was a greater difference between the Z and the Mustang in posted slalom speed, than there was between the Mustang and Edmunds own test of the Nissan Altima V6 SE - a FWD family sedan wearing skinny all-season tires.

While a nice "rumbly sounding" V8 will be the trump card for the Pony car faithful, it isn't with me.  When cars occupy a given segment, and in the absence of forced induction, displacement should count for more than nice sounds.  All else being comparable - a 6 should outperform a 4 and an 8 should outperform a 6 [assuming, of course that the extra pair of cylinders result in greater total displacement].  Here, the Mustang's rumbly V8 doesn't hustle it along with any significant advantage over the smaller 6 in the Z.  For me, that's a wash where it counts. 

Jaeger

Nice bait and switch. He's discussing the MT review, you quote the Edmunds article.

Edmunds would have written the same review regardless. They very rarely hide their import bias.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2009, 05:00:25 pm »
Oh, and:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2009, 05:03:11 pm »
Re: the 370Z 

Car and Driver:  "The best sports car on the planet for the money?  Damn right!"

Road and Track thought a better car to compare the 370Z to was the Cayman S.  I don't think there will be comparisons to the Cayman S with either a Mustang or a Genesis Coupe people...

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2009, 06:06:52 pm »
What universe has people cross shopping the 370Z with the Mustang GT?
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis