Author Topic: Nissan releases GTR Spec V for 72% price hike, no more power  (Read 30712 times)

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12390
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
Re: Nissan releases GTR Spec V for 72% price hike, no more power
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2009, 01:08:45 pm »
^^Like I said.  I don't think most any company would have warranty coverage on a damaged component knowing the car was tracked....It says as much in most ownership manuals...

True.. but Lambo and Porsche seemed pretty okay with knowing that the car was being tracked.

Well, you said the guy had a "pretty good understanding" with his local Porsche dealer.  A dealer accomodating a good customer in this way is one thing.  A manufacturer paying for claims incurred on a racetrack as a matter of policy as another.  I would be surprised (though pleasantly so) if Porsche's warranty didn't have an exclusion for track use.  As has been pointed out - that's pretty standard.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

von_khan

« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2009, 01:17:38 pm »
^^Like I said.  I don't think most any company would have warranty coverage on a damaged component knowing the car was tracked....It says as much in most ownership manuals...

True.. but Lambo and Porsche seemed pretty okay with knowing that the car was being tracked.

Well, you said the guy had a "pretty good understanding" with his local Porsche dealer.  A dealer accomodating a good customer in this way is one thing.  A manufacturer paying for claims incurred on a racetrack as a matter of policy as another.  I would be surprised (though pleasantly so) if Porsche's warranty didn't have an exclusion for track use.  As has been pointed out - that's pretty standard.

Jaeger

I mean you built a high performance car, if its transmission fries while being driven like it was designed to... you (as the manufacturer) better damn well cover it. Otherwise its really an overpriced showpiece on four wheels.

Anyway my friend is a bit of an exotic auto eccentric, he keeps cars, tracks them then sells them after a year or so. Never had any issues with warranties and the manufacturer until the GTR.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2009, 01:57:55 pm »

Jaeger

I mean you built a high performance car, if its transmission fries while being driven like it was designed to... you (as the manufacturer) better damn well cover it. Otherwise its really an overpriced showpiece on four wheels.

Anyway my friend is a bit of an exotic auto eccentric, he keeps cars, tracks them then sells them after a year or so. Never had any issues with warranties and the manufacturer until the GTR.

Maybe his relationship with his Nissan dealer wasn't all that "special"?

Jaeger

von_khan

« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2009, 02:49:52 pm »

Jaeger

Jaeger

Well thats what happens when you put a $100K+ car in a dealer designed to sell and service $20K-60K cars.

Anyway I'll put up pics of a track day with his Techart 911 Turbo GT Street. Still cant believe he sold it...

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2009, 06:31:56 pm »

Jaeger

Jaeger

Well thats what happens when you put a $100K+ car in a dealer designed to sell and service $20K-60K cars.

Anyway I'll put up pics of a track day with his Techart 911 Turbo GT Street. Still cant believe he sold it...

I hardly think the dealership or the average price of the cars explains anything.  Nissan's refusal to provide warranty repairs for track damage represents the industry norm, not the exception, despite your efforts to portray the contrary.

Jaeger

von_khan

« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2009, 06:44:16 pm »
I hardly think the dealership or the average price of the cars explains anything.  Nissan's refusal to provide warranty repairs for track damage represents the industry norm, not the exception, despite your efforts to portray the contrary.

Jaeger

:banghead:
I'm not trying to portray anything... Just relaying a personal experience. Do you have any such experiences to add to this?

Perhaps I should ask you for a source for your claim that a stock (exotic) breaking after being driven hard isnt covered by warranty. But I wont... I'm sure we all have better things to worry about... Cheers.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7212
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2009, 06:50:54 pm »

Jaeger

I'm not trying to portray anything... Just relaying a personal experience. Do you have any such experiences to add to this?

Perhaps I should ask you for a source for your claim that a stock (exotic) breaking after being driven hard isnt covered by warranty. But I wont... I'm sure we all have better things to worry about... Cheers.

Go to the Z06 forums.  There's a couple of guys who ruined an engine or tranny during a High Performance Lapping Day and their warranty was denied....
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2009, 06:55:07 pm »

Jaeger

Dude - take a freaking valium already and calm the hell down.  I'm not saying you or your friend are lying about his experiences with Porsche - I am saying, as others have said, that it is pretty much an industry norm to exclude track damage from warranty coverage.  Yet you keep pounding away with crap like he didtched his Nissan when he "found out" about THEIR warranty policy; that his Porsche dealer was okay with track use, and hey, that's what you get when you drop major coin at a penny ante dealership.  All of which SUGGEST that this is somehow a "Nissan" issue.  It isn't.

Toodles.

Jaeger

von_khan

« Reply #68 on: March 12, 2009, 07:06:23 pm »
Dude - take a freaking valium already and calm the hell down.  I'm not saying you or your friend are lying about his experiences with Porsche - I am saying, as others have said, that it is pretty much an industry norm to exclude track damage from warranty coverage.  Yet you keep pounding away with crap like he didtched his Nissan when he "found out" about THEIR warranty policy; that his Porsche dealer was okay with track use, and hey, that's what you get when you drop major coin at a penny ante dealership.  All of which SUGGEST that this is somehow a "Nissan" issue.  It isn't.

Toodles.

Jaeger

I actually suggest you take the chill pill bud... wonderful stuff seeing someone freak out over an emoticon...

von_khan

« Reply #69 on: March 12, 2009, 07:14:05 pm »
Go to the Z06 forums.  There's a couple of guys who ruined an engine or tranny during a High Performance Lapping Day and their warranty was denied....

I'm sure its happened, and happens on a regular basis at dealerships.

Just nice to have a dealer that 'gets' it... or at least stands by their product. Not a common thing I suppose.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 12, 2009, 07:34:07 pm »

I'm sure its happened, and happens on a regular basis at dealerships.

Just nice to have a dealer that 'gets' it... or at least stands by their product. Not a common thing I suppose.

Oh for sure, for sure!!  I suspect some people would pay OVER MSRP if they knew damaged components from track days would be fixed under warranty.

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #71 on: March 12, 2009, 08:12:09 pm »

Can anyone point me in the right direction to read more about this?

The one thread I remember reading about this turned out that the guy did a 5th to 2nd shift and toasted his engine.
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 12, 2009, 08:17:19 pm »
I'll try and dig it up.  It was sometype of oil starvation for the engine...(which would have ruined the engine regardless if it was tracked or not).

I've told others here before...but a local C6 Z06 guy is on his 3rd engine.  First one let go before 1,000kms, 2nd one was around 10,000kms.  Current engine is still going strong.

**EDIT**  Here's one...there are more.  http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z06-discussion/2203669-c-6-z06-blown-engine-not-warranted-by-gm.html

If the Z06 (like the GT-R) was not meant to be run hard...why do they have a "competition mode" button?  That goes along the lines of the Launch Control in the GT-R
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 08:25:28 pm by rrocket »

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 12, 2009, 08:54:54 pm »
I'll try and dig it up.  It was sometype of oil starvation for the engine...(which would have ruined the engine regardless if it was tracked or not).

I've told others here before...but a local C6 Z06 guy is on his 3rd engine.  First one let go before 1,000kms, 2nd one was around 10,000kms.  Current engine is still going strong.

**EDIT**  Here's one...there are more.  http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z06-discussion/2203669-c-6-z06-blown-engine-not-warranted-by-gm.html

If the Z06 (like the GT-R) was not meant to be run hard...why do they have a "competition mode" button?  That goes along the lines of the Launch Control in the GT-R

Getting a dead link there.
Agreed about the competition mode. Then again, not everyone who takes it to the track is John Heinricy....

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 13, 2009, 09:39:30 am »
I actually suggest you take the chill pill bud... wonderful stuff seeing someone freak out over an emoticon...

Hey, I'm not the one pounding my head against a wall, but thanks for your concern and good luck with the therapy.

Oh for sure, for sure!!  I suspect some people would pay OVER MSRP if they knew damaged components from track days would be fixed under warranty.

Good point - this is something that could be turned into a postitive marketing tactic.  Or as a mid-point, they could offer extended warranty coverage which applies to track use as an extra-cost option at time of purchase.

Jaeger

von_khan

« Reply #75 on: March 13, 2009, 10:23:03 am »

Hey, I'm not the one pounding my head against a wall, but thanks for your concern and good luck with the therapy.

Its an emoticon that you had an anuerism over...

emoticon

/ee-moh'ti-kon/ n. [common] An ASCII glyph used to indicate an emotional state in email or news. Although originally intended mostly as jokes, emoticons (or some other explicit humor indication) are virtually required under certain circumstances in high-volume text-only communication forums such as Usenet; the lack of verbal and visual cues can otherwise cause what were intended to be humorous, sarcastic, ironic, or otherwise non-100%-serious comments to be badly misinterpreted (not always even by newbies), resulting in arguments and flame wars.

Welcome to the intern3ts. ::)

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 13, 2009, 12:11:38 pm »

Its an emoticon that you had an anuerism over...

emoticon

/ee-moh'ti-kon/ n. [common] An ASCII glyph used to indicate an emotional state in email or news. Although originally intended mostly as jokes, emoticons (or some other explicit humor indication) are virtually required under certain circumstances in high-volume text-only communication forums such as Usenet; the lack of verbal and visual cues can otherwise cause what were intended to be humorous, sarcastic, ironic, or otherwise non-100%-serious comments to be badly misinterpreted (not always even by newbies), resulting in arguments and flame wars.

Welcome to the intern3ts. ::)

Ooooookay. 

Backs away slowly....

Quietly closes the padded door....

Assuming you've got nothing further to add to the subject matter of the thread, I'll just end my involvement in this little diversion and leave the last word to you.  You seem to desperately need it.  I'm ready to talk about cars when you're ready to grow up.

Jaeger
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 12:13:40 pm by Jaeger »

von_khan

« Reply #77 on: March 13, 2009, 12:31:30 pm »
Ooooookay. 

Backs away slowly....

Quietly closes the padded door....

Riiight.. you feel the need to patronize fellow posters over nothing and I'm the one who needs to grow up. Whatever.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 13, 2009, 12:45:27 pm »
Interesting video on the Spec V. Kind of gives an idea of what Nissan is thinking of with the changes.

http://www.drivers-republic.com/first_look/news/details.cfm?articleid=f152c6f08af24eacba622c0440087caa

Thanks for that link.  Looks like a salesman might have really quite a lot to say about the differences between the Spec V and regular GT-R.  This guy did, anyway.

Jaeger

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 13, 2009, 10:22:00 pm »

Thanks for that link.  Looks like a salesman might have really quite a lot to say about the differences between the Spec V and regular GT-R.  This guy did, anyway.

Jaeger

NP.
I liked it myself. I kind of "got" the whole idea of the Spec V and where the money went. Still don't know if it is worth THAT much of an increase, but I understand the why of it.
Neat car!