Author Topic: AutoCar 1st Drive Focus RS  (Read 6327 times)

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-83
    • View Profile
AutoCar 1st Drive Focus RS
« on: February 23, 2009, 08:27:28 am »
 :skid: :skid: :skid: :skid:  :skid:

Video http://www.autocar.co.uk/VideosWallpapers/Videos.aspx?AR=238360&CT=V

The big question, of course, is whether Ford really has managed to develop a front suspension system that enables the RS to deploy its 301bhp and 324lb ft without feeling like an unguided Exocet missile. And we’re glad to report that the answer is a resounding, faintly befuddled “you bet”.

What happens when you select second gear and give it full beans in the RS frankly feels like some form of miracle, because even on a rough or wet surface the car takes off without drama, feeling for all the world as if it is four, not two-wheel drive. Considering how much raw thrust there is – Ford claims 0-60mph in 5.9sec, 0-100mph in 14sec dead and a top speed of 163mph – it’s quite weird to begin with. You even wonder whether they’re fibbing about how many wheels are being driven.

In the event this is just one of many tricks which the extraordinary new Focus RS has up its sleeve. What we are talking about is a car that really does shred the rule book on front-wheel-drive dynamics, but one that’s also civilised and well mannered enough to live with every day.

And when you do go for it, do not expect to be disappointed. Even with as little as 1800rpm showing it goes, and goes hard, in all of the first five gears. In sixth you need to wait until just over 2000rpm before the whirlwind of torque begins to blow you, and then throw you, towards the horizon.

Article http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/FirstDrives/Ford-Focus-2.5T-RS/238343/

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
Re: AutoCar 1st Drive Focus RS
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 08:57:28 am »
Another 1st drive from Tom Ford
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/dri...cle5772860.ece
What’s it like to drive?
Finding analogies is quite hard, especially when you’ve spent the time at the wheel laughing maniacally, so forgive me this one. Scare a healthy cat, or unexpectedly step on its tail, and it will flatten back its ears, extend its claws, yowl like you’ve just tried to pull its spine out and take off like, well, like a Ford Focus RS.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 09:00:02 am »
I HOPE Ford will bring a variant of this car over here but I doubt it... or, worse, there will some niggle in the regulations so that we don't get it in Canada.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 12:24:53 pm »
Another 1st drive from Tom Ford
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/dri...cle5772860.ece
What’s it like to drive?
Finding analogies is quite hard, especially when you’ve spent the time at the wheel laughing maniacally, so forgive me this one. Scare a healthy cat, or unexpectedly step on its tail, and it will flatten back its ears, extend its claws, yowl like you’ve just tried to pull its spine out and take off like, well, like a Ford Focus RS.

Awesome!

Sometimes it’s good to annoy people. Today, as wealthy supercar drivers sit down to read about how I got on driving the new Ford Focus RS, they may be regretting investing six-figure sums in their fragile pieces of automotive one-upmanship. Because this 300bhp hyper-hatch will leave any supercar standing.

Okay, I should qualify that. It will leave them standing across country, on your favourite B road. But seeing as that’s where any self-respecting petrolhead gets their kicks, the new Focus RS represents the biggest upset to the establishment since Audi harnessed four-wheel drive for its quattro in the 1980s.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 03:48:41 pm »
Found another nice test drive video (RS in green)
http://motoring.sky.com/features/videos/video-ford-focus-rs-car-review.aspx
Watch our world exclusive video car review of the new Ford Focus RS hyper hatch. Come back on Wednesday when the Focus RS takes on the Mitsubishi EvoX and BMW 135i.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 03:51:15 pm by MKII »

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 03:08:36 pm »

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 03:59:08 pm »
If Ford brings in an RS and If they manage to keep at least 280 bhp of the 300  and If they don't bugger it up too much for "American tastes" ( I.e adding cup holders and an automatic transmission).  I'd buy one.

I wonder how close my GTI would be with  APR stage II and some decent tires.... hmmmmm... close enough I bet.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 04:05:46 pm »
 :nono: A long time ago in a galaxy far far away there is a FWD car with 300 hp that can do it. I wonder when manufactures on this planet will eventually give up on trying to defy the laws of physics and stop trying to make hi performance FWD cars. At some point the incremental gains vs. cost ratio will sink in and logic will prevail and they will go back to RWD or AWD.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 04:30:16 pm »
I suspect the reasons that the RS appears to work well are;   Modern tires and I bet it eats front tires and the trick Torsen-like differential so that it does not spend ALL its time spinning one front wheel.

Those testers DID say that the Evo worked better on those roads, in that test, but was a pita the rest of the time and they both liked the 135.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7212
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 05:59:49 pm »
300 HP and 324 TQ in a small-ish package and it just barely breaks into the 5s for acceleration?  Is anyone else not impressed??

FWIW, I really liked this car...but I expected better acceleration numbers....
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 07:20:53 pm »
300 HP and 324 TQ in a small-ish package and it just barely breaks into the 5s for acceleration?  Is anyone else not impressed??

I noticed that as well and this is probably a result of ECU retardation of HP transfer similar to the Mazdaspeed 3 to keep torque steer under control.

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 01:02:33 am »

Or Ford is just being conservative with performance numbers.
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2009, 01:37:12 am »
^^That would be nice.  I guess we'll see.  But the point remains...this isn't as good as it could be.

Heck...a 1994 Celica All Trac ST205 WRC (this is a street car BTW..JDM..never came to NA) had 242 HP and did 0-60 in 5.3 and ran the 1/4 mile in 13.8.  IN 1994!! 15 years ago!!  I don't think as an enthusiasts I'm out of line to expect more from a modern car......

So yea...I'm not terribly impressed.  Would like to see full instrumented testing though....
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 02:09:50 am by rrocket »

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2009, 08:56:19 am »
^^That would be nice.  I guess we'll see.  But the point remains...this isn't as good as it could be.

Heck...a 1994 Celica All Trac ST205 WRC (this is a street car BTW..JDM..never came to NA) had 242 HP and did 0-60 in 5.3 and ran the 1/4 mile in 13.8.  IN 1994!! 15 years ago!!  I don't think as an enthusiasts I'm out of line to expect more from a modern car......

So yea...I'm not terribly impressed.  Would like to see full instrumented testing though....

I do agree that it is odd.
15 years of emissions and safety crap have added a lot of weight, but I would have thought it would do a traction limited low 5 or high 4 with that kind of number.
I can't imagine them quoting wrong numbers, since the stupid HP fiasco in the Mustang some years back.
Maybe they are using smaller horses? :)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2009, 10:20:09 am »
Guys when will you ever realise it's not about the spec sheet, it's about the drive. The suspension geo and design plus the trick diff is what makes the torque steer much less. IMHO in gear acceleration and handling are much more important than 0-60 times.

Offline huota

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-60
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2009, 02:10:58 pm »
Check out the latest episode (15x08) of Fifth Gear where Jason Plato drives the RS. He seems to like it, which should say something.
Fiction is the lie through which we tell the truth

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2009, 07:18:27 pm »
Guys when will you ever realise it's not about the spec sheet, it's about the drive. The suspension geo and design plus the trick diff is what makes the torque steer much less. IMHO in gear acceleration and handling are much more important than 0-60 times.

For a track car perhaps, but I need my daily driver to have giddy-up.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2009, 08:21:13 pm »

You are right....BUT....there's nothing like raw number to show how hard a car pulls in the acceleration department...and I LIKE stout acceleration (I recall you telling me it not about speeding, but how fast you get there! :) ). I have no doubt that the Focus SHOULD handle better than a 15 year old design....but it should also out accelerate it with nearly 25% more power.  Am I really asking too much?

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2009, 08:28:07 pm »
No you're just being silly as usual.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2009, 08:30:01 pm »
Great acceleration is not silly!!!   ;D  It's silly fun!!

I mean...I know the game of your Elise was not to win drag races....But if it was 1 second slower 0-60, it most certainly would be a bit less fun....at least for me.

Great acceleration adds to the package...and will induce many more smiles...