Author Topic: The SHO is Back!  (Read 21108 times)

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
The SHO is Back!
« on: February 18, 2009, 11:51:37 pm »
Woo eee, fun times from a domestic.  Good on Ford, lets hope it does well:

"The new SHO boasts the highest level of tune so far announced for the Ecoboost V6 — 365 HP and 350 lb-ft of torque, going above and beyond the previously rated 355 HP in the 2010 Ford Flex and 2010 Lincoln MKS. The more important part of those power figures is where it comes in at, with peak torque starting from 1500 RPM and topping out at 3500 RPM. Shoot, that's almost in diesel territory. Ford isn't being bashful about this new SHO either, boldly claiming the Taurus SHO will outperform the BMW 550i while returning 25 MPG on the highway and coming in at a reasonable $37,995 price. Those are certainly fightin' words."

http://jalopnik.com/5147709/2010-ford-taurus-sho-the-sleeper-awakens

And look at that torque curve:

http://jalopnik.com/5151498/2010-ford-taurus-sho-live-and-with-a-ridiculous-torque-curve
2016 Subaru Forester XT

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
Re: The SHO is Back!
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 11:54:17 pm »
I'm sure people will :censor: and moan that no stick is available.  But hey..can't please everyone.

These are the EcoBoost engines a friend was telling me about several months ago.  Some are single and others are twin turbos.  Beautiful torque curves!!  I LOVE turbos.  Good on Ford.

I wonder how much $$ this will cost in Canada??  $50K?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 11:55:36 pm »
"...boldly claiming the Taurus SHO will outperform the BMW 550i..."

That statement, very much, remains to be seen.... ::) ???
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 11:58:47 pm »
That is a seriously fine looking automobile!
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 12:04:56 am »

Really, I think it's rather bland.

Now that's a Ford I would buy, and it has a proper gearbox too!

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 12:20:05 am »

Really, I think it's rather bland.

Now that's a Ford I would buy, and it has a proper gearbox too!

Well, blander than THAT perhaps, but I can't imagine pulling up to a clients in something quite so loud and .... green.

Unless this was the client, of course:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 12:22:51 am »
I agree Bob..I REALLY like that car...

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 12:26:56 am »
Well, blander than THAT perhaps, but I can't imagine pulling up to a clients in something quite so loud and .... green.

Ha ha, although I do find the torque and power curves pretty attractive!

Pretty prease Ford, bring your Euro models over! :drool:

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 12:42:00 am »

Ha ha, although I do find the torque and power curves pretty attractive!

Pretty prease Ford, bring your Euro models over! :drool:

VERY nice looking car, tho. I agree.

Actually, nearly all the 2010 stuff from Ford, I am shocked to say, look pretty darn good to me.
They just gotta fix the stupid pricing on the Mustang....

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 01:01:00 am »

VERY nice looking car, tho. I agree.

Actually, nearly all the 2010 stuff from Ford, I am shocked to say, look pretty darn good to me.
They just gotta fix the stupid pricing on the Mustang....

It's not easy being green!  Hot-hot-hot!  I won't moan that a stick isn't available in the SHO...it won't help...and it's likely not the right car for a stick anyway.

Ford seems to have done a much better job at meeting the pedestrian safety standards...way better than my Mazda boys.

Mitlov

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 01:20:59 am »

Agreed.

Fiesta--looks awesome.
Focus--gross.
Fusion (facelifted)--looks very good.
Taurus--looks very good.
Taurus SHO--badass.
Mustang (facelifted)--despite the live axle, sounds awesome.
Escape--meh.
Edge--meh.
Flex--awesome.
Ranger--gross.
F-Series--good, if you're into that sort of thing.
Explorer--meh.

So I have a positive reaction to a majority of the cars in their lineup.  That's pretty darned good for a mass-market manufacturer.

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 01:23:12 am »
"...boldly claiming the Taurus SHO will outperform the BMW 550i..."

That statement, very much, remains to be seen.... ::) ???

Why the rolling of the eyes Ovr?  There was none of that in the Genesis Coupe thread...why is that...especially since the thread makes it obvious to me that it's all about the stats right?

$38,000 SHO           - 365 hp @ 6500 & 350 lbft @ 3500

$59,000 (base) 550i - 360 hp @ 6300 & 360 lbft @ 3400

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/112_0805_2008_bmw_550i_quick_test/specifications.html

Deal done...case closed...the SHO is a 550i for $21,000 less!!!!

Let's also look at the bigger picture here, the Genesis COupe V6 represents the closest competitor I can see to the G37 coupe.  Similar size, equipment levels, performance (likely) and even styling, yet the Infiniti is nearly TWENTY THOUSAND more!  I'll happily give up a bit of dashboard texture or gauge backlighting colour to save that kind of moolah.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 01:42:01 am »
Simple.  You just aren't allowed to criticize BMW.  I remember when the G35/G37 clearly outperformed the BMW in nearly every category and the magazine STILL wouldn't call it #1.

Mitlov

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2009, 01:51:19 am »
On one hand, I understand ovr50's skepticism because every new performance car seems to be billed as a Bimmer-beater (didn't Pontiac once advertise the Grand Prix as out-handling the 5-Series?).  And most end up not living up to that billing.

On the other hand, ovr50 sticks waaaaay too much to the "if you've never owned a BMW for a year, you're not qualified to really talk about them" fallacy, which conveniently eliminates everyone who liked a BMW competitor more than a BMW (even after lengthy test-drives) from talking about BMWs.

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2009, 05:46:46 am »
I don't know how all of this will turn out, but it appears that at least Ford has a direction that is going forward with some interesting products. ;) The other two Detroit duds are still begging for bailouts.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2009, 06:08:44 am »
@Mitlov

"Fiesta--looks awesome.
Focus--gross."

Do you mean that the Euro Focus looks gross, the one which many of us hope will arrive here or that the current NA Focus is gross... which it isn't jmo is just totally forgettable.  Most of the Euro Focus models do NOT look like that lime green RS... quite.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Wolverine

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Ford Focus sedan 2008 1.6 Flexfuel
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2009, 07:54:20 am »
@Mitlov

"Fiesta--looks awesome.
Focus--gross."

Do you mean that the Euro Focus looks gross, the one which many of us hope will arrive here or that the current NA Focus is gross... which it isn't jmo is just totally forgettable.  Most of the Euro Focus models do NOT look like that lime green RS... quite.

Guess he was referring to the NA Line-up, so this must be the NA Focus.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 10:44:03 am by Wolverine »
"If you wanna make the world a better place take a look at yourself and make a change."

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2009, 08:25:09 am »
The specs look really good but it still looks like a Taurus and something my Dad would've driven.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2009, 08:46:23 am »
GREAT  Q CAR.........................no ossifer it's a lowly Taurus...... ;) :popo: :drive: :hello: :cp2: :cp2: :drv2: :drv2: :drv2: :run: :run:

........Oh and paint it in FLUORESCENT ORANGE/GREEN/PURPLE and BOB will be all ov'r it
 like Obama onna Blackberry..................... :rofl2:

pps...............tha thread moved fer me Bridge..........did U feel an earthquake..... :P
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 09:37:43 am by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Mitlov

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2009, 10:16:57 am »
@Mitlov

"Fiesta--looks awesome.
Focus--gross."

I was referring to the North American lineup.  We've heard that the Euro Focus will eventually reach North America, but probably not for a couple years.  When we get the Euro Focus and the upcoming unibody, ecoboost Explorer, Ford's going to have one of the most solid mass-market lineups in North America.

I'll probably still like VW better though, but that's just me ;)