Author Topic: 2009 WRX on the Dyno & Tuned  (Read 38718 times)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
Re: 2009 WRX on the Dyno & Tuned
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2009, 08:25:19 pm »
Ha ha...

1. Launch Control - check
2. Anti-Lag - check
3. Boost Control - check

Off to Tim Hortons car park we go!  :rofl2:

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2009, 08:49:09 pm »
It's the shoddy interior on the 265 that let's it down for me, hell even the challenger was better designed inside.

I just don’t have the interior with a heavy weighting on my score card so I don’t let that deminish the strenghts.

I 100% agree.  I just couldn't believe HOW bad it was, I mean like base spec Lincoln bad. (OK maybe that's going a bit far) The 10 year old bog std Impreza I had beat it hands down.

The difference between how Mitsubishi have designed the Evo (+ lesser models) interior's vs the WRX's is like night and day.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2009, 09:47:57 pm »
Hey Snowman what turbo is in your WRX. I'm guessing it is smaller then the one in the 265. Also is the 2006 turbo the same size or even the same turbo as the one in the 2008.
I'm not sure why but the numbers I see on other forums for an 08 WRX at stage 2 have lower HP but a big bump in Trq up above 300 (compared to your numbers). So would that mean smaller turbo with a quicker spool up?

yes, smaller = quicker spool up. I prefer quickness over top end.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2009, 09:52:18 pm »
Yes Jeff, the WRX is not for everyone and it may not feel fast but the truth is in the numbers. Real WRX drivers don’t dump the clutch BTW. Launching is an art and defiantly not for the mainstream drivers, the general public need not apply.

If there was a car that needed a technological transmission, the WRX/STi is it.  I wouldn't be keen to give up the full manual of either car (though the Subaru trans is not butter like the S2000, etc, it is still fun) but having "launch control" would be very slick indeed.  Were I an engineer, here is how I'd make it work:

At a dead stop, put the shift lever into second gear, push the "launch" button and take your foot off the clutch.  Right foot on the gas, left on the brake with the ECU optimizing throttle position and having full control over the clutch.  Release the brake and the car launches.  The trans self-shifts to 2nd gear and you now have full control.  At any time were you to touch the brakes after the initial launch, full manual control is engaged.

Problem?  Cost.  You'd need computers to operate the clutch and transmission as well as throttle (throttle easy, clutch and trans not as much, but not too bad) and the associated hardware.  It would be working with the ESP sensors to provide maximum acceleration with minimum clutch and trans impact (much better than the goober sidestep-the-clutch method that too many use).

Of course, this is why most bracket racers use automatic transmissions or Lencos w/trans-brake.  Consistent, traction-maximizing launches.  However, those car never see a twisty road...

You make it more complicated than need be.  There are MANY devices on the market for not alot of money that would help this car come out of the hole.  You can install an anti-lag (like I did on the Supra).  Or, the modern boost controller can do sooo much.  You can assign a pre-set boost by gear (have X pounds of boost in 1st gear, add in more for 2nd, etc..).  You can even adjust boost by speed.  And beyond that...you can have the boost ramp in by RPM.  These devices cost only a few hundred bucks.  This is all you'd need.

And Snowy.....it's not THAT hard to launch these cars IMO.  I think I pooched my first two launches in an STi.  And then after that, all was well......

I agree, the launches are not that hard but some people just can’t get it. Rev it to 3000…hold it…lift clutch pedal like you just stepped in a  pile of dog poo concurrent with WOT…and 0-60 in 4.5  :hello:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7211
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2009, 09:55:21 pm »

I agree, the launches are not that hard but some people just can’t get it. Rev it to 3000…hold it…lift clutch pedal like you just stepped in a  pile of dog poo concurrent with WOT…and 0-60 in 4.5  :hello:

OMFG!!!  That's EXACTLY how I was going to explain it.  I didn't because everyone would think I was nuts...LOL.....Oh man...too funny! :rofl2:
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2009, 09:57:55 pm »
It's the shoddy interior on the 265 that let's it down for me, hell even the challenger was better designed inside.

I agree it interior is not exciting as the interior of my 2002 WRX was plain and the 2006 was not much better either with slight improvements in trim.  I just don’t have the interior with a heavy weighting on my score card so I don’t let that deminish the strenghts.

It's not even just the interior / exterior styling, but the overall enjoyment.  The previous generation Imprezas (even the normally aspirated ones) were more alive and enjoyable to drive.  You're right, Snowman, the numbers don't lie, but they can only be achieved when the car is brutalized.  If you look at rolling start times or 30-50 or 50- 70 mph acceleration (not to  mention handling, braking, etc.) a number of other cars can quite easily keep pace (even Honda Accord V6 6 spd)

Come on Jeff stay with the program. Go buy a DP for an Accord..or a TB...ECU... an OEM Accord V6 MT6 is a nice piece of gear IMO but no hatch, AWD, aftermarket ….go get one if that is what you like  :)

Offline Zombie

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-1
  • Brainszzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2009, 12:11:50 am »
The difference between how Mitsubishi have designed the Evo (+ lesser models) interior's vs the WRX's is like night and day.

Now I know your FOS. The interior in the impreza isn't that bad and I'm not sure why your such a hatter. The Evo's interior is extremely tacky.

but I guess since it looks so much like your outlander's interior you like it. All it needs is a hula girl.

How is the impreza any worse then these two?

In a world where the dead are returning to life, the word "trouble" loses much of its meaning.

Offline Zombie

• Auto Obsessed
  • Brainszzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2009, 12:23:23 am »

OMFG!!!  That's EXACTLY how I was going to explain it.  I didn't because everyone would think I was nuts...LOL.....Oh man...too funny! :rofl2:

SO what is that called a dog poo launch. This sounds like what I posted a while back, minus the poo reference.

What I have done is rev to about 3300, take my foot slightly off the gas, drop the clutch, get the car moving and then hammer the gas.

Offline Zombie

• Auto Obsessed
  • Brainszzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2009, 12:26:54 am »
Umm are you a broken record Lisa???

Leviathan

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2009, 12:37:05 am »
Umm are you a broken record Lisa???
barrie1's union rep?

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2009, 08:00:16 am »
 :sleep: Just a stupid :censor: getting her post count past ten so she can make a link to her site.

Offline DockMan

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2009, 08:13:35 am »
:sleep: Just a stupid :censor: getting her post count past ten so she can make a link to her site.

Wanna bet? :rofl2:
Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all. - John W. Gardner

Offline Zombie

• Auto Obsessed
  • Brainszzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2009, 12:08:39 pm »

Spam!!! Shouldn't we remove her account and have her band!

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2009, 01:38:34 pm »

Now I know your FOS. The interior in the impreza isn't that bad and I'm not sure why your such a hatter. The Evo's interior is extremely tacky.

but I guess since it looks so much like your outlander's interior you like it. All it needs is a hula girl.

How is the impreza any worse then these two?

Zombie, the Recaro seats in the Evo / Ralliart alone make the interior feel worlds better.  Still, the rest of the Mitsu pkg doesn't live up to expectations either (by what I've read).
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2009, 01:52:04 pm »
If this program becomes successful it is going to help out many people in keeping their privacy.
Lisa11

Drop your panties Sir William! I cannot wait till lunchtime! ???
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Zombie

• Auto Obsessed
  • Brainszzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2009, 02:11:48 pm »

Zombie, the Recaro seats in the Evo / Ralliart alone make the interior feel worlds better.  Still, the rest of the Mitsu pkg doesn't live up to expectations either (by what I've read).

Some how I don't think the comments were about the seats. The seat in the Subaru are not a name brand but they also don't seem cheap and are very supportive and comfortable.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2009, 03:27:09 pm »
Of course I was talking about the seats as well you muppet. When you get in the mitsubishi the whole experience (position, seats, wheel, pedals, dials etc.) just feels right. The recaro's are a big part of that, they make you feel attached to the car! How can subaru make the current seats worse than the ones in my 10 year old car?

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2009, 03:40:44 pm »
Of course I was talking about the seats as well you muppet. When you get in the mitsubishi the whole experience (position, seats, wheel, pedals, dials etc.) just feels right. The recaro's are a big part of that, they make you feel attached to the car! How can subaru make the current seats worse than the ones in my 10 year old car?

Your outlander is years old :o

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2009, 03:46:11 pm »

you are stupid  :)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2009, 04:06:16 pm »

you are stupid  :)

So does he have a car that is 10 years old
I only know of his Outlander, and they have been out since 2001 so I am confused again
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 04:09:21 pm by airbalancer »