Author Topic: CTC Review: 2010 Mazda3 GT  (Read 70663 times)

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
Re: CTC Review: 2010 Mazda3 GT
« Reply #80 on: February 20, 2009, 09:53:56 am »
Rhetoric question, but is there a "perfect car in absolutely every way" and I would add for everyone?

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #81 on: February 20, 2009, 10:15:14 am »
It's funny that the article's authors says that he has no problem with the new 3's styling, yet pics avoid showing a full frontal view of the gigantic smiling mouth grille  ;D

For a new 2010 model, electronic stability control should be standard on all trim levels. Safety should not be an option.

Speaking of good-looking cars, for my own taste, the new Kia Forte looks better than all the other cars in its class:

http://www.thetorquereport.com/2009/02/chicago_09_2010_kia_forte_debu.html#more

I simply forgot actually, I believe I had one but it was underexposed due to the headlights.

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 20, 2009, 11:07:10 am »
Rhetoric question, but is there a "perfect car in absolutely every way" and I would add for everyone?

Obviously, no.  Using that line of thinking to argue against criticism of any vehicle goes against the very essense of the forums here.

The market will decide the success of the 3...or any car for that matter.  Spending a lot of time at the show looking at entry level cars and cars ~ $50K, I just don't know what "the market" uses as a criterion sometimes.  I came away with the feeling that the automotive journalists have much more influence on "the regular joes" than I gave them credit for.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 20, 2009, 11:37:40 am »
A perfect car in absolute every way? ... Well, if your initial is Homer Simpson, then there exist one.  :)

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 20, 2009, 12:30:51 pm »
I'm with wing on the issue of "looks" as it applies to the front end. Couple Saturdays back my wife and I dropped by the Mazda dealers here for a few minutes on way somewhere else. My wife had not seen pictures of it prior to that moment. Her reaction to the looks were - "it's great, I think it's very aggressive looking (referring to the front)".

Notwithstanding all the flack on forums like this, I'm sure this new Mazda 3 will sell very well.

It will definitely be one of the top contenders when we go shopping later this year (maybe in about April or May).
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Cortina

« Reply #85 on: February 20, 2009, 12:31:53 pm »
Quote from: wing
It is painfully obvious I am enamoured with the interior changes of the Mazda3.
Shhhh don't let the wife know you have new GF.  :P

Shows you what I know, I think it looks much better in the "real" than in pictures.  ::)

No worse looking than any Peugeot (i've already said that more than a dozen times)  Peugeot have had a similar type grill for years. It work quiet well for them. I don't see that this will be issues.  :)

Offline jjac28

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 20, 2009, 01:09:02 pm »
looks like mazda has a winner again! for a subcompact it definately looks like its the best compact in its class

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #87 on: February 20, 2009, 01:30:18 pm »
probably should rename the forum smallcartalkcanada :rofl:

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 20, 2009, 01:42:18 pm »
More like dashplastictalkcanada
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #89 on: February 20, 2009, 01:46:58 pm »
Plastic Petters Anonymous?
Finish Fondlers Anonymous?

??? ;D
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #90 on: February 20, 2009, 02:11:59 pm »
looks like mazda has a winner again! for a subcompact it definately looks like its the best compact in its class

I follow your logic :shake:

But whichever category, do agree it's damn good!  :D
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 06:59:18 pm by sirAQUAMAN64 »
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

locutusx

« Reply #91 on: February 20, 2009, 02:26:49 pm »
I like the dashboard quality of my '02 1.7EL more than my '05 Camry LE... how does the new Mz3 slot in between them?

Anyways, purely based on photos alone I would say that I think the new grille design looks good on the Hatchback *only*... when I look at the new Sedan, I find the grille detracts. Whereas when I look at all the photos of the HB model, I'm not offended by the new grille. Plus it seems like they made a whole bunch of other improvements to how the HB looks, so it's just that much more cool-looking than the outgoing HB.
I do agree with a poster above in that the outgoing Mz3 looks "dumpy" in comparison to the new Mz3 (but this would mainly apply to the HB IMHO)

BTW Toronto sucks. Still haven't seen any new Mz3's on the road!

Offline Loudpedal

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +6/-6
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '08 Acura TL '08 Honda Odyssey
« Reply #92 on: February 20, 2009, 02:53:36 pm »
To whomever asked about the heated seats -- I forgot to cover it in the day-by-day.  They do heat both the back and bottom very very well!

Thanks wing!
Internal combustion thrust I trust

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 20, 2009, 03:59:17 pm »

This was a bit of sarcasm on my part.If you took a pole on this forum most members always pick the 3 do to the zoom zoom.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

vdk

« Reply #94 on: February 20, 2009, 06:55:21 pm »

BTW Toronto sucks. Still haven't seen any new Mz3's on the road!

Saw a dark colored one the other day, black I think - or something close. It was being driven by a rather young lady, with the hazard lights on and going really slow.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12389
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #95 on: February 22, 2009, 06:52:10 pm »
Well this has turned into quite the syrupy puff piece.  Apparently, the car is perfect.  ::)

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Alex_S

« Reply #96 on: February 22, 2009, 07:53:53 pm »
You are the only judge for such thing. I can tell you I love the orange/blue lights in my Mazda3 (the Outlander has similar orange/red lights but without the blue), but I don't see how this would help you.

Carcrazy:

So you're saying I am the ONLY person to notice/judge such a thing?  Highly doubt it..  However, you are correct in saying your comment didn't help at all.. Gagues are important to all drivers because they are looked at frequently and legibility is an imporant factor - this is common sense and I'm sure you know this. A non-issue for most but a dealbreaker for a very few..

Guess I'll just have to test drive it at night. As I said, I love the orange and not a fan of the red.  Two colors very close to each other on the color spectrum. You say it is 'orange' on your vehicle but James Bergeron describes it is 'red'.  Does anyone know if they changed colour schemes with the new model?  Thanks

Sorry for misunderstanding. I meant you are the only one to decide if you like it or not. If I or anyone else likes it, it doesn't mean you should like it too. It's a matter of personal choice. You should definitely drive the car at night and see it for yourself regardless of what anyone posts here.

I think you can call it "red" in the older Mazda3, but it's a shade closer to orange IMO.

Note that the lighting was different in GX/GS and GT models for the last generation Mazda3. The GT (which I own) lighting works perfectly fine for me regardless of the outside conditions. I cannot speak of the GS/GX models.

One other thing trivial for some people, but important for others is the ability to read the radio/info on the dash display in direct sun. I can tell you that the last generation display was very good at that; it was totally readable in any type of light.

@ Carcrazy

Ah, thank you for clarifying.  Your comments are very insightful and help a lot.  Much appreciated..

Alex_S

« Reply #97 on: February 22, 2009, 08:05:01 pm »
You are the only judge for such thing. I can tell you I love the orange/blue lights in my Mazda3 (the Outlander has similar orange/red lights but without the blue), but I don't see how this would help you.

Carcrazy:

Guess I'll just have to test drive it at night. As I said, I love the orange and not a fan of the red.  Two colors very close to each other on the color spectrum. You say it is 'orange' on your vehicle but James Bergeron describes it is 'red'.  Does anyone know if they changed colour schemes with the new model?  Thanks

Um.... yeah.....  I highly recommend a night drive so you can form your own opinion as to whether you like it or not, rather than asking someone else to tell you whether you like it or not, particularly since it is so important to you.

Just Bob - that pic was hilarious!

Jaeger

Yes, as stated, I will drive it at night so I can form my own opinion.  If you read my earlier post, you will notice that my original question essentially was '..has anyone found the interior lighting distracting at first but later become accustomed to it?'  It may take some drivers longer than a 15 minute test drive to become accustomed, if at all. The above reply was my response to a reply..

Alex_S

« Reply #98 on: February 22, 2009, 08:08:49 pm »
I may be in the market for a Mazda3 down the road and any comments on the red dials and red interior lights?

I have been wondering about the dash lighting too, but not for aesthetic reasons.  I’ve never been in a 2010, but have read that the gauge lighting is the same as the old model.  I rented a 2007 last summer, and I found it virtually impossible to read the speedometer in most lighting conditions.  The only time it was any good was a sunny day with the sun coming over my left shoulder and directly into the instrument pod.  I didn’t drive the car in complete darkness, so that might be okay too.

But on a sunny day in any other direction, on cloudy days, or during dawn or dusk, it was hopeless!  With the lighting off, it was just too dark at the back of the pod.  With it on, the contrast between the gray dial face and the red back lighting was way too low.   

I really liked the car otherwise, but this would be a complete deal breaker.  Most of my driving is in heavily patrolled areas, and I have to know how fast I’m going at all times.  Anyone with similar needs should check this out if they test drive a 2010.

My wife and I test drove the car last fall. The car we drove was a GS had the Tri-mode electroluminescent gauges that the GT model has. It was a sunny day and both of us had a hard time seeing the gauges. The lighting was bad and the size of displays was small. It was really surprising. When I read about the Tri-mode electroluminescent gauges I was expecting to see a display similar to what I have seen used in Lexus cars. Clear and bright. It was not clear or bright.

Sorry to read that same problem is carried over to 2010.

This along with what felt like a buckboard ride was a deal breaker.

With regards to ride I not sure how careful dealers are in checking air pressure in tires on their demonstrators. Maybe the ride suffered due to over inflated tires.

Thank you leftland, tpl, wing, carcrazy and slybry with your insightful comments.  Helps tremendously.  Cheers! Alex

Alex_S

« Reply #99 on: February 22, 2009, 08:36:15 pm »
It's funny that the article's authors says that he has no problem with the new 3's styling, yet pics avoid showing a full frontal view of the gigantic smiling mouth grille  ;D

For a new 2010 model, electronic stability control should be standard on all trim levels. Safety should not be an option.

Speaking of good-looking cars, for my own taste, the new Kia Forte looks better than all the other cars in its class:

http://www.thetorquereport.com/2009/02/chicago_09_2010_kia_forte_debu.html#more

As always, looks always subjective but I would completely agree with you that the new Kia Forte is a standout in its class.  Very sharp looking indeed.. The new chief of design from Audi really making an impact and the improvement in design impressive for such a short timeframe.