Author Topic: CTC Review: 2010 Mazda3 GT  (Read 70692 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
Re: CTC Review: 2010 Mazda3 GT
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2009, 01:46:30 am »

As opposed to all those other RWD compact economy sedans?  I may as well say that I'm writing the Audi A4 off my list because it doesn't come with laser guns.

You're not very bright, eh?  You can't get them OEM, but CAN get them as a dealer installed option.  DUH!!   ;D
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2009, 07:46:54 am »
TopGun 99.9% of all cars use the same plastic in those locations.  Including your RX-8....  It's "the norm" not craptastic at all IMO.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2009, 08:02:11 am »
The rust in the wheel well is largely due to the way Mazda finished (or not) the metal panels in that particular area; the metal panels are not painted or covered with rust proof material and due to the shape, it holds debris, snow, salt, slush, etc.

How can they not paint the metal, don't be ridiculous..?

Did you catch the part when I said I own a Mazda3 and I dealt with this issue?

Imagine a body panel that was only painted on one side only (the other side is just gray).
Take a closer look inside of the wheel well, where the rocker panel ends and perhaps you'll better understand what I'm talking about. The inside of the rear fender, around the lip, is not painted either.

These are the places where the rust starts.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2009, 08:25:35 am »

I hope the "extra" features work, because seeing the interior materials...well...I'll just quote rrocket by saying they're "craptastic".  The quality of the plastic seems to have taken a step backwards...Mazda seems to have mimicked Honda's Civic plastic quality and awful layout...save the two-tiers.

You cannot be serious with your comment! Can you point out one interior trim piece that it's "craptastic", at least by non-luxury standards?

I'll point out two of them in the photo below.  I don't typically go around tapping plastic...so a "soft touch", while nice, isn't a prerequisite of mine.  I would like some grain on it however...so it doesn't look like a hunk of cheap plastic.

The photo points to the plastic surrounding the big honkin' silver knob...and the plastic that is on top of the Alfa-esque (and nicely styled) gauges.

Have you taken a look at one?  If anyone thinks this stuff is OK by them...I don't want to hear a complaint about the Cobalt SS interior.

Yes I have, before anyone else here. I posted here few weeks ago that I spent some time looking at a pre-production model, in the service bay area at my Mazda dealership.

Personally I didn't see any problem in the spots you have indicated and I looked at them. Could you indicate a mainstream car, regardless of the class, that uses better materials in that area so I can understand your point? I'll take the time to check them out tomorrow at the Auto Show.

The only materials that I wish were different are the ones used on the top part of the door panels, although they are still soft touch. The texture is not as nice as the one they used on the top of the dash (the common leather grain imitation that many other manufacturer use), which is the same they use on the CX-7 and the CX-9 door panels.

Other than that, from my observation, I couldn't fault any interior trim.

As Wing stated in his blog, beyond the polarizing front end design, Mazda raised the C-segment bar once again.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2009, 10:01:38 am »
I wonder how close in price a 2010 GT model 5-door is to a discounted leftover '09 MazdaSpeed3?  Something tells me very, very close.  I know where my money would go in that choice... turbo baby!   
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2009, 10:05:33 am »
The rates on the 2010 3 are HIGH 7.3% lease rate!

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2009, 10:10:29 am »
tha PILLULE needs a TURBO............it's going into UNDER_DRIVE.................. :bang:..has it had ir's STROKE checked lately????....................
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2009, 11:16:13 am »
TopGun 99.9% of all cars use the same plastic in those locations.  Including your RX-8....  It's "the norm" not craptastic at all IMO.

I haven't noticed on my RX-8...instead of taping the interior plastics like everyone seems to do, I'm too busy looking at the tach and listening to the mini jet engine spin itself to infinity.

I agree wing...here's my point - If 99.9% of the cars use the same plastic, then why are the "imports" given not only a free ride...but given kudos for having "high quality interiors"...when at the same time, the NEW domestics are criticized for having "hard plastic"?

http://www.canadiandriver.com/forum/index.php/topic,61011.msg556457.html#msg556457

the turbo SS is one hell of a car..

If only it had some decent interior, it would be on my shopping list for next car.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2009, 11:48:41 am »
Too bad it is driven at the wrong axle, other wise I will consider it.

As opposed to all those other RWD compact economy sedans?  I may as well say that I'm writing the Audi A4 off my list because it doesn't come with laser guns.

Audi, Partner!  :hello: :hello: HID no good enuff? Or rather something in the line of a mini-big-guns?  :)

http://www.magsdirect.com/catalog/images/mini.jpg

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2009, 11:56:01 am »
Because people are biased, most new cars are just fine.  Chryslers ummm tend to be worse.

Cortina

« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2009, 12:16:18 pm »
LOL some of the post here are such a hoot.  ;D

I don't mine the Mazda looks at all. I guess I'm used to what peugeot look like. This look very Euro-style Peugeot.  :)

Because people are biased, most new cars are just fine.  Chryslers ummm tend to be worse.

Some Chryslers sure look good inside. The sebring for instants. It just the execution that is poor and iffy plastics IMO. :)

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2009, 12:41:51 pm »

I haven't noticed on my RX-8...instead of taping the interior plastics like everyone seems to do, I'm too busy looking at the tach and listening to the mini jet engine spin itself to infinity.

I agree wing...here's my point - If 99.9% of the cars use the same plastic, then why are the "imports" given not only a free ride...but given kudos for having "high quality interiors"...when at the same time, the NEW domestics are criticized for having "hard plastic"?

http://www.canadiandriver.com/forum/index.php/topic,61011.msg556457.html#msg556457

the turbo SS is one hell of a car..

If only it had some decent interior, it would be on my shopping list for next car.

People don't complain anymore that much about the interior materials used in the NEW domestic vehicles as they improved significantly and in most cases they are now as good as in any other manufacturer's vehicles and sometimes better. However, the Cobalt it is not one of them.

2010 Mazda3 uses soft-touch interior materials on the dash and door panels, which are not a common sight in this class and apart from Civic, which uses some, I don't think that any other model competing with Mazda3 has any such materials in it. The quality of other interior trim pieces and switch gear, although hard plastic, is pretty good for the class too.

I can think of few "import" manufacturers that use lower quality interior materials in their vehicles - Mitsubishi (Lancer), Subaru (Impreza), Toyota (Corolla, Matrix) as well as “domestic” manufacturers that use nice interior materials – Saturn Astra.
At least, as far as I’m concerned, saying that Mazda3 has nice interior materials has nothing to do with its “import” status.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 12:43:50 pm by carcrazy »

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12389
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2009, 02:43:20 pm »
Checked them out quite a bit at the Autoshow (seems like the had about a dozen) and I can hardly believe it, but as bad as that retarded happy face looks in the pics, it is WORSE in person.  Barely tolerable in black, but since you KNOW it's there, you still see it.

And I simply do NOT understand this high praise for the interior.  It wasn't bad mind you, but certainly no better than okay.  The dash had a nicely muted pebble grain and was soft to the touch, but that center stack looks like is was made of the absolute CHEAPEST (as in Chevy wouldn't use it) hard, chalky awful plastic.  And your fingers are going to come into contact with THAT far more frequently than the dash.  Overall, I would not say it is an improvement over the outgoing version.  Not at all.

Now the Mazda 6 - THAT is a massive interior improvement in all respects.  The 3 - not so much.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2009, 03:23:45 pm »
^^^ +2
  That snout is just gawd-AWFUL. :thumbdown: I parked opposite a beautiful black '09 3GT this morning and I was struck by how elegant the 'old' front-end design is. Might as well call the new one 'Bugs' after you put the front license plate in that gaping yaw.
' Saw an Alfalfa Romeeo go by - furrin sports car forty feet long, mebbe nine inches high.' - Charlie Farquharson

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2009, 03:29:26 pm »
And I simply do NOT understand this high praise for the interior.  It wasn't bad mind you, but certainly no better than okay.  The dash had a nicely muted pebble grain and was soft to the touch, but that center stack looks like is was made of the absolute CHEAPEST (as in Chevy wouldn't use it) hard, chalky awful plastic.  And your fingers are going to come into contact with THAT far more frequently than the dash.

Oh...like the places where I put the red arrows?  C'mon...99.9% of all vehicles are like that...it's the norm.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2009, 03:44:03 pm »
And I simply do NOT understand this high praise for the interior.  It wasn't bad mind you, but certainly no better than okay.  The dash had a nicely muted pebble grain and was soft to the touch, but that center stack looks like is was made of the absolute CHEAPEST (as in Chevy wouldn't use it) hard, chalky awful plastic.  And your fingers are going to come into contact with THAT far more frequently than the dash.

Oh...like the places where I put the red arrows?  C'mon...99.9% of all vehicles are like that...it's the norm.

Well, 99.9% of the vehicles I sat in at the auto show weren't that bad or even close.  The Mazda 6 sure wasn't.

I also found the rim of the steering wheel a bit on the skinny side.

I know it comes with a lot of gosh-gee-whiz techno goodies.  Acura employs the same strategy with the TL - hoping all the toys will distract you from its hideous face.  Works for some people, I guess.  Not for me.

Mazda was in a tough spot with this car.  The last one was pretty much spot on in every respect.  And they dropped the ball.  This new one simply isn't an overall improvement in any area (toys excepted), has remained the same in many areas (performance) and has taken a massive step backward in some areas (goofball face).

Jaeger

Offline ggweci

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +4/-0
  • Out driving…
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Honda Passport EX-L, 2011 Honda CRV EX
« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2009, 04:57:38 pm »
Checked them out quite a bit at the Autoshow (seems like the had about a dozen) and I can hardly believe it, but as bad as that retarded happy face looks in the pics, it is WORSE in person.  Barely tolerable in black, but since you KNOW it's there, you still see it.

Jaeger

Did you check out the TL? Would love to hear your impressions.  :rofl2:

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2009, 05:37:11 pm »
"Checked them out quite a bit at the Autoshow (seems like the had about a dozen) and I can hardly believe it, but as bad as that retarded happy face looks in the pics, it is WORSE in person.  Barely tolerable in black, but since you KNOW it's there, you still see it"

Shows you what I know, I think it looks much better in the "real" than in pictures.  ::)

Doesn't matter at all, I'm sure it will sell very well against the Civics and Corollas of the world, as it's quite a nice package for the money. I would have no problem getting one as a replacement for the HL.

2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

vdk

« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2009, 05:50:52 pm »
Are we falling in :love: with mirror integrated turn signals? That's only skin deep...  ;D

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2009, 08:12:02 pm »

Jaeger

Did you check out the TL? Would love to hear your impressions.  :rofl2:

Sure did.  And I'm sure you can guess.  ;)

Jaeger