Author Topic: CTC Review: 2010 Mazda3 GT  (Read 70697 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
CTC Review: 2010 Mazda3 GT
« on: February 17, 2009, 09:13:22 pm »
Day 1:

2010 Mazda3 GT
Click Image to Enlarge
Did I already lose four years of my life?  It seems like only two years ago I picked up my very own Mazda3 Sport GT -- a 2006 model -- and now here I am driving a 2010 model!  The car business is a little odd: we are barely into 2009 and the 2010 Mazda3s are on showroom floors and ready for you to take home. Lucky for me, I get to take a GT model home myself this week.  More ...

Alex_S

RE: CTC Review: 2010 Mazda3 GT
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 11:11:15 pm »
I really like this new vehicle and I think it will receive high praise.  Interior is fresh with clean lines and I would bet the fun factor remains.  I'm warming up to the front fascia, which still reminds me of a smiling Pokemon/Pikachu character but should be a tight package overall.. A toss up between the Civic and Mazda3 in my opinion with both vehicles having their strengths..

Mitlov

Re: RE: CTC Review: 2010 Mazda3 GT
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 11:18:48 pm »
which still reminds me of a smiling Pokemon/Pikachu character but should be a tight package overall.

It does.  Or a character from Pixar's Cars.  That said, though, it looks like another solid contender for best (non-luxury, non-premium) compact sedan on the market.

Alex_S

RE: CTC Review: 2010 Mazda3 GT
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 11:21:24 pm »
If there is one blemish, I might say the front overhang is slightly longer and detracts marginally from the overall profile - but I'm really nitpicking here.. This look not for everyone but no denying it should still continue to sell well..

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
Re: CTC Review: 2010 Mazda3 GT
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 11:31:24 pm »
So what does a car-nut do when he comes home from 10 hours of car show viewing...go on Canadian Driver of course!

OK...the ladies at the Mazda stand tell me that many folks are commenting negatively on the smiley face...add me to their list.

I hope the "extra" features work, because seeing the interior materials...well...I'll just quote rrocket by saying they're "craptastic".  The quality of the plastic seems to have taken a step backwards...Mazda seems to have mimicked Honda's Civic plastic quality and awful layout...save the two-tiers.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 11:44:21 pm »

I hope the "extra" features work, because seeing the interior materials...well...I'll just quote rrocket by saying they're "craptastic".  The quality of the plastic seems to have taken a step backwards...Mazda seems to have mimicked Honda's Civic plastic quality and awful layout...save the two-tiers.

Did I actually say that about the interior of the Mazda3??  I know I said it about the exterior looks...
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 11:46:33 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Loudpedal

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +6/-6
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '08 Acura TL '08 Honda Odyssey
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 11:45:52 pm »
Wing, do the seat heating elements just heat the bottom cushion, or do they also heat the lower back rest?
Internal combustion thrust I trust

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 11:54:13 pm »

Did I actually say that about the interior of the Mazda3??  I know I said it about the exterior looks...

Na, you didn't say that about the interior rrocket...we couldn't get past the exterior to even look.  I just borrowed your term "craptastic".

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 12:16:24 am »

Na, you didn't say that about the interior rrocket...we couldn't get past the exterior to even look.  I just borrowed your term "craptastic".

Ahhh...I see.  LOL...right you are!!  I was too busy belly-aching about the exterior......

Did they even have one open to inspect??
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 12:18:01 am by rrocket »

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 12:30:16 am »

Ahhh...I see.  LOL...right you are!!  I was too busy belly-aching about the exterior......

Did they even have one open to inspect??

Mazda3s? They had like 4 open.

This car looks best in dark colors, especially black...because they hide the smiley face.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 12:34:50 am »
^^No, no...In Detroit.....

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 07:06:51 am »
I wonder if Mazda has finally figured out their paint problem?

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2009, 08:25:43 am »

You cannot be serious with your comment! Can you point out one interior trim piece that it's "craptastic", at least by non-luxury standards?

Gris

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2009, 08:56:08 am »
I picked up one last week, a 2010 GT, auto, luxury pkg. in the test car's color.  A gorgeous and compelling vehicle, I feel so lucky to have.  I would say that the dash (much of it covered with a rubbery mat material) and interior are noticeably better than in my wife's 2008.5 3 GS but how much of that is because of the difference in trim level I'm not sure.  We both prefer the exterior looks of the 2010 (the new nose can take a little getting used to) but it's definitely less conservative (more futuristic?) looking than the previous gen.  

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2009, 09:57:26 am »
Gris, congrats on the new car!
The smiley face is growing on me, too. And Dark grey or black colour with front license plate should do the job to cover it up a little bit.
I'm trying to choose between this one and the Mazda6 GS I4. The price difference is minimal.
I gotta go for a test drive one of these days.

Offline RunsinLight

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-34
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford F150 XLT
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2009, 10:00:01 am »
The quality of the paint looks increased from a couple years ago.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2009, 10:31:55 am »
@Gris : Congrats on the new Mazda3!

I'm not aware of any paint issues with the previous generation Mazda3, but it had some issues with premature rust in certain parts of the car. This may be related to the painting process though.
How would you determine the quality of the paint without some sort of analysis and how would you be able to predict with any accuracy if rust will appear 3-4 years down the road (the problem with 04-09 Mazda3)?

I guess only time can tell; everything else is just speculation.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2009, 10:47:20 am »
I'm not aware of any paint issues with the previous generation Mazda3, but it had some issues with premature rust in certain parts of the car. This may be related to the painting process though.
How would you determine the quality of the paint without some sort of analysis and how would you be able to predict with any accuracy if rust will appear 3-4 years down the road (the problem with 04-09 Mazda3)?

I guess only time can tell; everything else is just speculation.

Well, I had noticed 'bubbly' paint on Protege 5's years ago... and now, a few years after I noticed this 'bubbly' paint, reports of premature rust are coming up everywhere... Certainly not a coincidence.

I do think that one can quite easily judge the quality of the paint just by looking at it and feeling it.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2009, 11:21:25 am »
Just to put things in perspective, I own a 2005 Mazda3 from new and while I had little rust in the rear wheel wells (cleaned up by Mazda free of charge), I have not experienced the paint bubbling issue yet. I know many owners did, especially with 2004 models and fewer owners of early 2005 models. I have not heard of any 2006MY owner having this type of issues, but this is perhaps because it’s too early.
The rust in the wheel well is largely due to the way Mazda finished (or not) the metal panels in that particular area; the metal panels are not painted or covered with rust proof material and due to the shape, it holds debris, snow, salt, slush, etc. I did not look if Mazda painted or protected in any way the wheel wells on the new Mazda3, but if I was to buy one, I would make sure I would do that myself.

Still, I would be interested to learn more about how can you "feel" the paint and tell if it will bubble up or prematurely rust. However, I could understand how you can "feel" other attributes of a paint job (smoothness, finish, etc.).

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2009, 11:35:12 am »
Just to put things in perspective, I own a 2005 Mazda3 from new and while I had little rust in the rear wheel wells (cleaned up by Mazda free of charge), I have not experienced the paint bubbling issue yet. I know many owners did, especially with 2004 models and fewer owners of early 2005 models. I have not heard of any 2006MY owner having this type of issues, but this is perhaps because it’s too early.
The rust in the wheel well is largely due to the way Mazda finished (or not) the metal panels in that particular area; the metal panels are not painted or covered with rust proof material and due to the shape, it holds debris, snow, salt, slush, etc. I did not look if Mazda painted or protected in any way the wheel wells on the new Mazda3, but if I was to buy one, I would make sure I would do that myself.

Still, I would be interested to learn more about how can you "feel" the paint and tell if it will bubble up or prematurely rust. However, I could understand how you can "feel" other attributes of a paint job (smoothness, finish, etc.).

To be clear, by 'bubbly', I don't mean that the paint is peeling off. I mean that when you look at it, the reflections are warped because the finish is not smooth like a mirror, it has small 'bump' or 'waves' in the finish. Like I said, it might have changed in the last few years, but it was certainly really evident on the Protege 5's maybe 5 or 6 years ago.

It certainly seems to be a common problem with Mazda vehicles in general though... What you described on your 2005 vehicle certainly isn't normal... A 4 year old vehicle certainly should not have rust anywhere (not withstanding big scratches, of course).

Maybe I'll drop by a Mazda dealership sometime and see for myself. Like I said, Mazda may have changed their paint process completely since I last checked this.