Author Topic: CTC Review: 2010 Mazda3 GT  (Read 70660 times)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
Re: CTC Review: 2010 Mazda3 GT
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2009, 08:20:38 pm »
"Checked them out quite a bit at the Autoshow (seems like the had about a dozen) and I can hardly believe it, but as bad as that retarded happy face looks in the pics, it is WORSE in person.  Barely tolerable in black, but since you KNOW it's there, you still see it"

Shows you what I know, I think it looks much better in the "real" than in pictures.  ::)

Same with me, I don't think it looks as smiley in real life.  In fact the new front end looks even more smiley on the new MX-5!

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2009, 09:52:00 pm »
"Checked them out quite a bit at the Autoshow (seems like the had about a dozen) and I can hardly believe it, but as bad as that retarded happy face looks in the pics, it is WORSE in person.  Barely tolerable in black, but since you KNOW it's there, you still see it"

Shows you what I know, I think it looks much better in the "real" than in pictures.  ::)

Same with me, I don't think it looks as smiley in real life.  In fact the new front end looks even more smiley on the new MX-5!

Sort of like this...

:rofl2:
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 10:13:37 pm by Just Bob »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2009, 09:54:10 pm »
Bob...please attach a white license plate (like ontario) so we can enjoy the bucktooth with the smile....
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Alex_S

« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2009, 11:34:05 pm »

Sort of like this...

:rofl2:

@ Just Bob:
I think your Pixar attempt at the MX-5 was very well done.  I chuckled out loud. Thanks
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 11:38:07 pm by Alex_S »

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2009, 11:48:52 pm »

@ Just Bob:
I think your Pixar attempt at the MX-5 was very well done.  I chuckled out loud. Thanks

Ah thank you!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2009, 11:57:10 pm »
Yea...thanks for the teeth!!

Alex_S

« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2009, 12:00:20 am »
Wondering if anyone can help with another concern:

I may be in the market for a Mazda3 down the road and any comments on the red dials and red interior lights?

I drove a buddy's Audi A4 many moons ago and simply could NOT STAND the sea of blood red dials.  Not enough of a contrast with the black background.  I know Audi has since added splashes of white and I am a big fan now.

BMW orange has always been extremely soothing to yours truly and props to Lexus/Toyota on their white/light green dials over the years. I know the media thinks the VW blue dials (blue, red, black housing) are cool but not enough contrast for me and remain partial to the white/orange/green gagues.  (Interestingly, I find the white on blue lighting on the civic to be a very nice contrast as well..)

Thus, have any previous owners of Audi/Mazda3 found red interior lights distracting at first, but later become accustomed to them?  I like to think I am a details person and this would be a dealbreaker for me..

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2009, 12:34:10 am »
You are the only judge for such thing. I can tell you I love the orange/blue lights in my Mazda3 (the Outlander has similar orange/red lights but without the blue), but I don't see how this would help you.

Alex_S

« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2009, 12:54:44 am »
You are the only judge for such thing. I can tell you I love the orange/blue lights in my Mazda3 (the Outlander has similar orange/red lights but without the blue), but I don't see how this would help you.

Carcrazy:

So you're saying I am the ONLY person to notice/judge such a thing?  Highly doubt it..  However, you are correct in saying your comment didn't help at all.. Gagues are important to all drivers because they are looked at frequently and legibility is an imporant factor - this is common sense and I'm sure you know this. A non-issue for most but a dealbreaker for a very few..

Guess I'll just have to test drive it at night. As I said, I love the orange and not a fan of the red.  Two colors very close to each other on the color spectrum. You say it is 'orange' on your vehicle but James Bergeron describes it is 'red'.  Does anyone know if they changed colour schemes with the new model?  Thanks
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 03:28:24 am by Alex_S »

Offline LeftLand

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2009, 02:42:45 am »
I may be in the market for a Mazda3 down the road and any comments on the red dials and red interior lights?

I have been wondering about the dash lighting too, but not for aesthetic reasons.  I’ve never been in a 2010, but have read that the gauge lighting is the same as the old model.  I rented a 2007 last summer, and I found it virtually impossible to read the speedometer in most lighting conditions.  The only time it was any good was a sunny day with the sun coming over my left shoulder and directly into the instrument pod.  I didn’t drive the car in complete darkness, so that might be okay too.

But on a sunny day in any other direction, on cloudy days, or during dawn or dusk, it was hopeless!  With the lighting off, it was just too dark at the back of the pod.  With it on, the contrast between the gray dial face and the red backlighting was way too low.   

I really liked the car otherwise, but this would be a complete deal breaker.  Most of my driving is in heavily patrolled areas, and I have to know how fast I’m going at all times.  Anyone with similar needs should check this out if they test drive a 2010.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 02:52:36 am by LeftLand »

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2009, 05:21:57 am »
Wondering if anyone can help with another concern:

I drove a buddy's Audi A4 many moons ago and simply could NOT STAND the sea of blood red dials.  Not enough of a contrast with the black background.  I know Audi has since added splashes of white and I am a big fan now.

BMW orange has always been extremely soothing to yours truly and props to Lexus/Toyota on their white/light green dials over the years. I know the media thinks the VW blue dials (blue, red, black housing) are cool but not enough contrast for me and remain partial to the white/orange/green gagues.  (Interestingly, I find the white on blue lighting on the civic to be a very nice contrast as well..)

Thus, have any previous owners of Audi/Mazda3 found red interior lights distracting at first, but later become accustomed to them?  I like to think I am a details person and this would be a dealbreaker for me..

The Audi red worked for me and so did the BMW orange lighting. I agree entirely that the VW blue looks cool but doesn't work well for my older eyes.
As for that always on interior lighting that shines down on the gearshift. I found that annoying in the Audi but since have got used to it in the BMW and VW... if it stopped working I wouldn't bother to get it fixed.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #71 on: February 20, 2009, 07:22:36 am »

Carcrazy:

So you're saying I am the ONLY person to notice/judge such a thing?  Highly doubt it..  However, you are correct in saying your comment didn't help at all.. Gagues are important to all drivers because they are looked at frequently and legibility is an imporant factor - this is common sense and I'm sure you know this. A non-issue for most but a dealbreaker for a very few..

Guess I'll just have to test drive it at night. As I said, I love the orange and not a fan of the red.  Two colors very close to each other on the color spectrum. You say it is 'orange' on your vehicle but James Bergeron describes it is 'red'.  Does anyone know if they changed colour schemes with the new model?  Thanks

Sorry for misunderstanding. I meant you are the only one to decide if you like it or not. If I or anyone else likes it, it doesn't mean you should like it too. It's a matter of personal choice. You should definitely drive the car at night and see it for yourself regardless of what anyone posts here.

I think you can call it "red" in the older Mazda3, but it's a shade closer to orange IMO.

Note that the lighting was different in GX/GS and GT models for the last generation Mazda3. The GT (which I own) lighting works perfectly fine for me regardless of the outside conditions. I cannot speak of the GS/GX models.

One other thing trivial for some people, but important for others is the ability to read the radio/info on the dash display in direct sun. I can tell you that the last generation display was very good at that; it was totally readable in any type of light.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 07:39:14 am by carcrazy »

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #72 on: February 20, 2009, 07:43:49 am »
Regarding the dials.  I have poor eyesight and have no issues with them.   Unless I am wearing sunglasses then the contrast is very low and without wearing a prescription I have a hard time to see it.  But with contacts and my sunglasses I am fine.  The 2010 looks the same as the previous gen in this regard.

To whomever asked about the heated seats -- I forgot to cover it in the day-by-day.  They do heat both the back and bottom very very well!

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-83
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2009, 08:13:24 am »
IMO the new Mazda 3 design makes the out going model look rather dated and dumpy. I have always liked the style of the out going car, but this new car brings a welcomed up-to-date look and stands outs.
Too bad that Mazda did not change the green house to match the new body, but in my eyes the new Mazda 3 is very good looking.
James is there Sat-Nav controls for the passenger or are the only controls the buttons on the steering wheel?
Also read that Mazda stiffend the chassis, I take it James you do not find any differences here?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 08:45:41 am by MKII »

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #74 on: February 20, 2009, 08:16:33 am »
I don't have Sat-Nav in my tester.

The chassis could be slightly stiffer, you would probably have to take it to a track to notice it though.  It feels great though.

Troy

« Reply #75 on: February 20, 2009, 08:46:13 am »
I recently sat in the new 3 at the Autoshow and fell in love.  That is, until I attempted to sit in the back.  After trying out the Elantra Touring and even the Spectra5 and having plenty of room (I adjust the drivers seat to a position I like, then test the back seat) I was shocked at the lack of room in the rear of the 3.  I couldn't even get my legs in (I'm 6 feet even, but that's mostly leg).  The rear seat room was more 'coupe' like than compact sedan.  It was enough for me to walk away with no intentions of visiting a Mazda dealer when my 1.6EL goes bye bye.  It's obvious the 3 was designed from the driver's seat first - everything else an afterthought... that's fine for a sports car, but in this class - it's unacceptible.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12389
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #76 on: February 20, 2009, 09:01:45 am »

Carcrazy:

Um.... yeah.....  I highly recommend a night drive so you can form your own opinion as to whether you like it or not, rather than asking someone else to tell you whether you like it or not, particularly since it is so important to you.

Just Bob - that pic was hilarious!

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #77 on: February 20, 2009, 09:19:25 am »

I have been wondering about the dash lighting too, but not for aesthetic reasons.  I’ve never been in a 2010, but have read that the gauge lighting is the same as the old model.  I rented a 2007 last summer, and I found it virtually impossible to read the speedometer in most lighting conditions.  The only time it was any good was a sunny day with the sun coming over my left shoulder and directly into the instrument pod.  I didn’t drive the car in complete darkness, so that might be okay too.

But on a sunny day in any other direction, on cloudy days, or during dawn or dusk, it was hopeless!  With the lighting off, it was just too dark at the back of the pod.  With it on, the contrast between the gray dial face and the red back lighting was way too low.   

I really liked the car otherwise, but this would be a complete deal breaker.  Most of my driving is in heavily patrolled areas, and I have to know how fast I’m going at all times.  Anyone with similar needs should check this out if they test drive a 2010.

My wife and I test drove the car last fall. The car we drove was a GS had the Tri-mode electroluminescent gauges that the GT model has. It was a sunny day and both of us had a hard time seeing the gauges. The lighting was bad and the size of displays was small. It was really surprising. When I read about the Tri-mode electroluminescent gauges I was expecting to see a display similar to what I have seen used in Lexus cars. Clear and bright. It was not clear or bright.

Sorry to read that same problem is carried over to 2010.

This along with what felt like a buckboard ride was a deal breaker.

With regards to ride I not sure how careful dealers are in checking air pressure in tires on their demonstrators. Maybe the ride suffered due to over inflated tires.
If you want more in life you have to make an effort.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 20, 2009, 09:19:45 am »
I recently sat in the new 3 at the Autoshow and fell in love.  That is, until I attempted to sit in the back.  After trying out the Elantra Touring and even the Spectra5 and having plenty of room (I adjust the drivers seat to a position I like, then test the back seat) I was shocked at the lack of room in the rear of the 3.  I couldn't even get my legs in (I'm 6 feet even, but that's mostly leg).  The rear seat room was more 'coupe' like than compact sedan.  It was enough for me to walk away with no intentions of visiting a Mazda dealer when my 1.6EL goes bye bye.  It's obvious the 3 was designed from the driver's seat first - everything else an afterthought... that's fine for a sports car, but in this class - it's unacceptible.

So this area hasn't been  improved from the previous 3. I found the old 3 had very little room in the back ,especially headroom.Same for the older mazda 6. The Protege which preceded the 3 had a much larger interior even compared to its rivals[toyota ,honda]. This car is getting larger but has far less room than a smaller car [protege]. Mazda 's have great driving dynamics but they are not absolutely perfect in every way.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline BernardP

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 20, 2009, 09:46:11 am »
It's funny that the article's authors says that he has no problem with the new 3's styling, yet pics avoid showing a full frontal view of the gigantic smiling mouth grille  ;D

For a new 2010 model, electronic stability control should be standard on all trim levels. Safety should not be an option.

Speaking of good-looking cars, for my own taste, the new Kia Forte looks better than all the other cars in its class:

http://www.thetorquereport.com/2009/02/chicago_09_2010_kia_forte_debu.html#more
2014 Audi A4 2.0T 6MT