Author Topic: BMW = biggest cannibals ever?  (Read 4786 times)

Mitlov

BMW = biggest cannibals ever?
« on: February 13, 2009, 11:05:17 am »
There's the 5-Series touring, the X5, the X6, all built off of the same platform if I recall correctly.  And now this, the 5-Series Gran Turismo Concept (which appears to be a year-before-it's-in-production concept, not a pie-in-the-sky concept):

http://www.netcarshow.com/bmw/2009-5-series_gran_turismo_concept/

What's next, a 5-Series "aerodynamic touring" with a roofline halfway between the 5-Series Touring and this?  At what point are they going to draw the line and say "okay, enough cannibalism for this year"?

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
Re: BMW = biggest cannibals ever?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 11:41:56 am »
Guess Chris Bangle left for very good reasons.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 11:49:03 am »

Is that a negative sentiment?

I think Z4 coupe (not the new hard top conv, old one) was/is one of the best looking car on the road..

And this car looks great.  way way way way way better than X6..   and 5 series wagon..  M5 wagon looks good, but that's because of its immense capability..  this car, on the other hand, probably competes with cars like Passat CC, Merc CLS and that sort. 

At the LEAST, Looks better than Porsche Panamera, wouldn't you agree? :D

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 12:02:03 pm »

:o  :rofl2:

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 12:09:25 pm »

I think Z4 coupe (not the new hard top conv, old one) was/is one of the best looking car on the road..

And this car looks great.  way way way way way better than X6..   and 5 series wagon..  M5 wagon looks good, but that's because of its immense capability..  this car, on the other hand, probably competes with cars like Passat CC, Merc CLS and that sort. 

Well, I do think it looks rather un-attractive in a non-positive and slightly repulsive kinda way.

Love the Z4. Had a short session in a M Z4 3 years ago, was smiling the whole time.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 12:18:32 pm »

This concept is better looking than the X6, I agree; but I disagree that it is superior looking to the 5 Wagon. You cannot get an M5 wagon in NA, and it looks same as the 5 wagon anyway.

The only car out now by BMW that I do not like the looks of is the X6.

This concept fits in with the cars mentioned in aqua's post above, plus things like the new 2010 Lexus RX series (of which the Toyota Venza is the same).

And I agree that the current Z4 is one awesome looking 2 seater.  :)
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 12:38:41 pm »

The only car out now by BMW that I do not like the looks of is the X6.

I agree!

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 12:53:07 pm »
I think it has some nice lines
 :)

Offline Wolverine

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Ford Focus sedan 2008 1.6 Flexfuel
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 09:48:37 am »
This is awful, as if the X6 wasn't bad looking enough, they created a miniature...
"If you wanna make the world a better place take a look at yourself and make a change."

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 10:44:30 am »
Yea, but EVERYONE is guilty of platform sharing like that, not just BMW.  Heck, even highly regarded Audi used essentially the Golf platform for their top shelf Audi TT.  And we know how expansive the list of VW cars that have used that same platform at some time.......Audi TT, A3, Golf (all variations), Jetta, Tiguan, Scirocco, etc....
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2009, 11:02:41 am »
Z4 - hot
5 Series - growing on me :o
X6 - looks like a portly aristocrat (kind of bad)
This thing - looks like a short portly aristocrat (undeniably bad)
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2009, 11:06:35 am »
Yea, but EVERYONE is guilty of platform sharing like that, not just BMW.  Heck, even highly regarded Audi used essentially the Golf platform for their top shelf Audi TT.  And we know how expansive the list of VW cars that have used that same platform at some time.......Audi TT, A3, Golf (all variations), Jetta, Tiguan, Scirocco, etc....

Exactly, I don't see what anyone's problem could be with platform sharing?? It's a proven and cost effective way to bring to market different vehicles without having to redesign the operating structure every time. Vehicles would be more costly without platform sharing.

Mitlov

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2009, 01:16:47 pm »

Volkswagen has even used the Golf platform to make a hot tub, a helicopter, and a crime-fighting robot.  True.

Anyway, my objection wasn't just that they used the same platform, but that they used the same platform to make a five-door in the same general price range.  A five-door Rabbit doesn't compete with a TT VR6, you know?  For the same reason, I hadn't mentioned the 6-Series, which is built on the same platform as the four vehicles I listed but isn't a five-door people hauler.  It just seems to me that the 5 Touring, the 5 Grand Tourer, the X5, and the X6 are really all satisfying the same general market niche in the same general price range. 

VolksWatch

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2009, 09:57:52 pm »
The market will let BMW know if it will support the X6 and this rather bizarre 5 Series Gran Turismo thingy.

I don't know why BMW thinks it has to invent new niches.

It should really stick to what it knows best. And maybe build on what it knows best.

I'm sure if the global economy was tanking back when BMW put the X6 and 5 Series GT on the drawing board, it would have scrapped them quick. Just like it has nixed the 8 Series (based on the CS concept). And just like other automakers are killing projects left, right and centre.

In these times, you've gotta stick with what sells. And what sells lots.

Offline huota

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-60
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2009, 07:40:41 am »
I find the proportions the 5 GT awkward. I also don't understand what is so "Grand Turismo" about it? Stick a twin-turbo I6 or a V8 in a 5er sedan and you have a perfect GT.

It seems like BMW want to expand their product portfolio in the quest of growing the business. My concern is that they will lose their focus and eventually become another Daimler with a mess of portfolio with few gems and the majority of the products being uninspiring, grotesque and forgettable.

Oh well, just as long as they don't screw up the 3 and 5 series sedans...
Fiction is the lie through which we tell the truth

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2009, 12:05:37 pm »
huota - "Oh well, just as long as they don't screw up the 3 and 5 series sedans..."

Yep, can agree with that thought..... ;) ;)

"Stick a twin-turbo I6 or a V8 in a 5er sedan and you have a perfect GT."

Yep, agree with that also...... ;D ;D

VolksWatch

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2009, 12:21:18 pm »
If the front end of the 5 Series Gran Turismo is an indication of the next 5 Series, I think it'll be awesome!

dorin

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2009, 05:15:07 pm »
I don't like this all that much, but it is a much better concept than the X6 and it makes more sense.  IMO this is what BMW should have built in the first place instead of the X6.

Mitlov

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2009, 06:20:45 pm »
I don't like this all that much, but it is a much better concept than the X6 and it makes more sense.  IMO this is what BMW should have built in the first place instead of the X6.

Can't agree more.

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2009, 03:36:04 pm »
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...