Poll

Do you take separate vacations from your partner?

Yes
5 (18.5%)
No
22 (81.5%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: Do you take separate vacations from your partner?  (Read 3586 times)

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +392/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
Do you take separate vacations from your partner?
« on: January 27, 2009, 12:34:13 pm »
Just like it says....do you?

I was talking to my buddy and he brought this up. I'm also curious as to what age you were when it happened if you did take one.

I have before when I had plenty of vacations days to go around but not now due to the limited number of vacation days I get. I do take mancations over a weekend though.

UmroAyyar

Re: Do you take separate vacations from your partner?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 12:39:30 pm »
If its not a travelling vacation, then we have taken separate vacation days. If an overseas trip is due in the year, then we take vacations together.

I am 33 and got a 4+ year old child. :)

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 12:48:59 pm »
Yeah do you mean, they are working you are sitting at home.  Or do you mean, head out on a trip?

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 12:52:26 pm »
..my partner and i take the same vacations ...........but...........Wifey will be mad if she finds out..... ;D............j/k..............often  at a convention trip i'll book extra days off to tour the area..........and wifey has no problemo with that..prefers to take our  holiday times together where we choose...............conventions are often in crappy places like Las Vegas,Atlanta & New Orleans.......... ;) :rofl2:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 12:55:31 pm »
Depends on what is meant by "vacation".  I put Yes because I take the occasional weekend for a curling tournament, mostly out of town.  It's a trip away from home and not for work, family or other obligation.  To me, that constitutes a "vacation".

As far as a trip that is for, say, sightseeing, family reunion or planned holiday getaway goes, then the answer would be No.
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 01:00:49 pm »
It's a trip away from home and not for work, family or other obligation.  To me, that constitutes a "vacation".

Good point and I would agree with this definition. Going away for a weekend or extended weekend I don't consider a vacation.

Mind you, I've done more on some 3 days weekends than some people do with a full week off.

Min 5-7 days, away from home without your partner.

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 01:09:41 pm »
It's a trip away from home and not for work, family or other obligation.  To me, that constitutes a "vacation".

Good point and I would agree with this definition. Going away for a weekend or extended weekend I don't consider a vacation.

Mind you, I've done more on some 3 days weekends than some people do with a full week off.

Min 5-7 days, away from home without your partner.

In that case, I need to amend my vote.  It looks like you are allowing multiple votes but I can't seem to remove my original vote.  I'll just a No to the total.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 01:26:56 pm »
Missing a few options ;)

3) I don't have a partner
4) We never take vacation

:P

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 05:31:19 pm »
Sort of.  My wife is not a serious climber, so many of my forays into the mountains are without her.  Also, even if she were, we're not sure we'd climb dangerous stuff together now that the munchkin is here.  It's lousy to lose one of your parents, much worse to lose both.

But, we do many mountain activities as a family including lower-risk climbing (rock, not ice or alpine), backpacking and skiing.

So, I am often away sans family, but it's not a bad thing.  My wife has things she likes to do, and this gives the opportunity to do them.  We're not "joined at the hip."

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 05:46:06 pm »
Yes we have and at times for two weeks. I have taken my son with me and vise versa. People are individuals and can’t possibly have identical interests.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6817
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 06:35:58 pm »
Perhaps the question should read:

Do you take separate vacations from your partner on a regular basis?

I've gone hunting and had a few extended sled trips, but the wife has been working and wouldn't go if she was paid.  But if both ppl are off work and go on separate vacations on a regular basis (from year to year) then IMO, after 25 years and/or when the kids are gone, plan for a division of assets.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 07:04:03 pm by articsteve »

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 07:10:09 pm »
Does this count?  For many years, since the early '80s mrs tpl has taken a week or two in the UK to visit with her sister.   I don't go.   During most of those years we have had our main vacation together. 
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6817
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2009, 07:57:05 pm »
For many years, since the early '80s mrs tpl has taken a week or two in the UK to visit with her sister.

That rates an extended "family" exemption.  :)

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2009, 08:20:24 pm »
We don't take separate vacations. 

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2009, 10:10:18 pm »
But if both ppl are off work and go on separate vacations on a regular basis (from year to year) then IMO, after 25 years and/or when the kids are gone, plan for a division of assets.

Oh, dear God... I agree.   :rofl2: 

IMO, the whole point of being together is, well, being together.  While you may have some interests that don't include the other person, real vacation time (anything more than three days) should be spent doing what you both love to do, in each other's company.  Presumably, when you're with someone, you have common interests.  Doesn't seem like a big stretch to me, but maybe I'm wrong.   

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2009, 10:20:02 pm »
Now does everybody's opinion change with the number of vacation days a person gets? I get very few (approx 2 weeks) so I try to spend all of those with my partner on a great trip. But when I use to work in London I was getting 5-6 weeks of vacation and if I was still receiving that many I would actually take a vacation with one my buddies.

Now my buddy is a teacher and his partner is also a teacher so they get a lot of holidays. Why would they have to spend the entire summer on vacation together? Would there be something wrong with one person going somewhere solo or with a friend?

I guess it comes down to many factors.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2009, 10:51:20 pm »
My Wife has more vacation days than me and chooses to take Kate to visit her parents once a year for a week. Actually, not a week, more like four days which is all she can stand of her own Mother. Fortunately she does not ask me to go on such forays. Every other Christmas is soon enough for visits with my MIL. :P
For the rest of our holidays we spend it together. Last year we had vacations in Cuba and Los Cabos. This Spring we are taking a cheap vacation for 10 days and staying at my Parents condo in FLA. We will be at the cottage this year as well in the Summer. We've had discussion quite recently (yesterday actually) about my Wife having a few days off at some meditation place out East but I don't think it will be this year.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2009, 01:43:28 am »
The last vacation the wife and I spend together was driving thru the States for a month, 4 years ago. I have not had more than 2 days off in a row since that.

The wife does go back to Taiwan twice a year to visit her family, 2 weeks each time. Unfortunately, even though I love to go back with her, but just could not take time off to do so.  Other than that, the wife stays home with me, or short trips around here.

Offline Wolverine

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Ford Focus sedan 2008 1.6 Flexfuel
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2009, 05:33:36 am »
Since she's at the university again and takes programmed vacations, I always try to take on the same period as her, so we can spend more time together. Last year we went to a farm hotel, amazing place. That was in fact the first time I took vacations since I started in the company in 2004.

PS. we aren't married, been dating her for 10 years almost, ehehehhe.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 05:36:05 am by Wolverine »
"If you wanna make the world a better place take a look at yourself and make a change."

Offline Wolverine

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Ford Focus sedan 2008 1.6 Flexfuel
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2009, 10:43:00 am »
Never, my wife and I have morphed into one person...no kids and 20+ yrs together will do that I guess. This year we are going to Cuba in march and southern Spain, Portugal and Morrocco in late august.  :)

That's great las, I'm going to Cuba by the end of the year. Gotta see my dad, finally, after 14 years. :D