Poll

Mixed martial arts competitions are...

A disgusting bloodsport that should be banned.
4 (14.3%)
A legitimate sport that I have no interest in.
17 (60.7%)
A sport I enjoy watching (or participating in).
7 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Author Topic: Mixed martial arts competitions are...  (Read 5057 times)

Mitlov

Re: Mixed martial arts competitions are...
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2009, 05:45:17 pm »
In my experience with MMA competitors, the idea that these folks are a bunch of Fight Club wannabes breaking each other's jaws in grimy basements and then telling ER docs they fell down the stairs is inaccurate and offensive fiction.

Just keep Kimbo Slice and his ilk out.  Those street vids of his are gross.

Street brawls are not mixed martial arts competitions.  Mixed martial artists may get involved in street brawls, just like boxers might get involved in bar brawls, but that doesn't make street fights "MMA" any more than bar brawls are "boxing matches."

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2009, 10:40:29 pm »
....POUND fer ....POUND... ;)   tha best SHEW AROUND.........buts i still loves me BOXING........
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2009, 10:49:23 pm »
Personally I don't get it but I'll admit, I'm against fighting as or in any sport. I don't understand what it proves?

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2009, 10:57:44 pm »
..U have more TESTOSTERONE than a sparrow?????? :D

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2009, 11:17:59 pm »
I did up a 'Top Ten MMA Fights' compilation for presents one year, and the progression in how MMA evolved over the years was fascinating, from the early Jujitsu vs Wrestler type stuff to the modern mix-it-all-up style.

Favorite fight of the bunch was Bonnar vs Griffin, The Ultimate Fighter 1 finale, 2005. Amazing stuff.

Mitlov

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2009, 12:38:20 am »
Personally I don't get it but I'll admit, I'm against fighting as or in any sport. I don't understand what it proves?

Same thing that hockey players "prove."  That they're more athletic, craftier, and more talented than their opponent.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2009, 09:00:38 am »

Same thing that hockey players "prove."  That they're more athletic, craftier, and more talented than their opponent.

Well if beating the crap out of another person proves you are more athletic, craftier and more talented than their opponent then so be it. I'll agree to disagree since I have a huge bias against fighting in general.

Offline Iso Octane

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +0/-3
  • to the beat of the different drum
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2009, 09:45:33 am »
I really like the principle behind MMA. 

When the only rules in place are there just to prevent injury, which martial art techniques will prevail as truly effective?  Well it turns out ground attacks are the best.  Who would've thought that when Hollywood and Asian-wood would have us believe that grandiose punches and kicks are the way to go.  Very cool stuff.  I love watching it for the skill and technique, not the violence.   It's actually pretty boring seeing two guys struggle on the floor.

I wish we could see some fencing and Taekwondo as well.  Bring it on!

« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 09:47:28 am by Mattesa »

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2009, 02:27:55 pm »
..come ov't tha fence and see me some time................ :P..........

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2009, 09:19:06 am »
As "Martial Art", I don't think there's enough form/structure... like there are in boxing, judo or muay tai matches. 

That's exactly why it's called MIXED martial arts.

Me, I LOVE this stuff! I haven't missed a UFC event in almost 2 years now. Either I go at a bar to watch it, or I find it online the next day.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2009, 09:24:23 am »
A quasi-legitimate but pointless 'sport' that I have zero interest in.

Aren't ALL sports pointless? They're just games with similar goals... beat yourself/ your opponent/the other team following whatever rules someone made up for pure enjoyment of everyone involved. How is MMA any different than hockey or football? It's main goal is to entertain people, just like all the other sports out there. And say what you want, there's millions of die-hard fans of this sports.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2009, 10:13:46 am »

Aren't ALL sports pointless? They're just games with similar goals... beat yourself/ your opponent/the other team following whatever rules someone made up for pure enjoyment of everyone involved. How is MMA any different than hockey or football? It's main goal is to entertain people, just like all the other sports out there. And say what you want, there's millions of die-hard fans of this sports.

Real sports don't involve beating the crap out of another person, in my opinion.  Others have different opinions; hell, some people still like dog fights.

My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Mitlov

« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2009, 10:31:05 am »
Real sports don't involve beating the crap out of another person, in my opinion.  Others have different opinions; hell, some people still like dog fights.

Out of curiosity, are no combat sports "real sports" in your book?  Specifically judo, karate, wrestling, boxing, sumo, fencing, kendo, sanda, muay thai?  Or do you think MMA is different than other combat sports, which can be "real sports" in your book?

Comparisons to dog fighting are ludicrous and offensive.  MMA competitors are willing participants.  Pit bulls forced into a ring aren't.  MMA competitors are trying to get the opponent to tap out.  Dogs are trying to kill the opponent before the opponent kills them.

Personally, I would rather be held in an armbar or a triangle choke until I tapped than be slammed into a wall on a hockey rink by a full-speed body check.  It's curious to me how people find the former unacceptably violent but the latter perfectly acceptable so long as you athlete's "real objective" is knocking a puck into a net.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2009, 10:37:53 am »

Players always look to injure others players in hockey... that rarely happens in MMA. I wouldn't be surprised if there were more injuries caused by vicious acts in hockey than in MMA... In MMA, they know how to defend themselves, and they certainly don't look to injure others because they know any injuries is bad for the sport.

By your own definition, hockey is less of a sport than MMA is.

Hey, I like hockey too, but saying that MMA is not a sport or not a "real sport" is stupid and ignorant IMO. You can say you don't like it, and that's fine, but saying it's not a real sport really shows your level of intelligence, IMO.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2009, 11:13:45 am »

Players always look to injure others players in hockey... that rarely happens in MMA. I wouldn't be surprised if there were more injuries caused by vicious acts in hockey than in MMA... In MMA, they know how to defend themselves, and they certainly don't look to injure others because they know any injuries is bad for the sport.

Hey, I like hockey too, but saying that MMA is not a sport or not a "real sport" is stupid and ignorant IMO. You can say you don't like it, and that's fine, but saying it's not a real sport really shows your level of intelligence, IMO.

Real hockey doesn't involve fights and bs.

Real hockey is a real sport.

Don't try to change my words around to suit your personal tastes.  You like to watch people hit each other, fine.  I don't.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2009, 11:29:11 am »
Players always look to injure others players in hockey... that rarely happens in MMA.

You have to be kidding right?

Of the 642 matches, 182 (28%) were stopped because of head impact (punch, knee strikes, elbow strikes, kicks, slam to ground or head stomp), of which 62 (34%) involved a knockout and 120 (65%) a technical knockout. One hundred and six (16%) of the bouts were stopped because of musculoskeletal stress (elbow, ankle, shoulder and knee locks causing hyper-mobilisation of the joint through forceful distraction, hyperextension and/or rotational manipulation; and neck cranks – forceful manipulation of the opponent’s head on neck). Ninety-one (14%) were stopped through the application of a neck choke and 83 (13%) because of miscellaneous trauma. The rest of the matches ended because the match time was up or competitors were disqualified.

A total of 171 MMA matches involving 220 different competitors took place during the study period, producing 96 injuries to 78 fighters. The overall injury rate was 28.6 injuries per 100 fight participations or 12.5 injuries per 100 competitor rounds. The main findings of the study were:

* Of the 171 matches fought, 69 (40%) ended with at least one injured fighter.

* The majority of recorded injuries were to the facial region. Facial cuts were the most common injury (48%), followed by hand injury (13%), nose (10%) and eye (8%).

* After adjusting for weight and match outcome, older age was associated with significantly increased risk of injury.

* Competitors who lost a match by knockout or technical knockout ran a greater risk of injury.

* Incidence of injury increased with the length of the fight; matches lasting four or five rounds were more likely to include a fighter who suffered an injury.

In conclusion, with an overall injury rate of 28.6 injuries per 100 fight participations, MMA competitions demonstrate a high overall rate of injury, but in keeping with other combat sports involving striking.

http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/archive/mma-injury-report

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2009, 11:32:28 am »
Poker is a real sport!  Apparently now spelling competitions get a fair amount of air time on ESPN as well, slowly developing into a real sport.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2009, 11:34:28 am »
Players always look to injure others players in hockey... that rarely happens in MMA.

It is all hugs-N-kisses, as in pro wrestling, NO?

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2009, 11:34:44 am »

Real hockey doesn't involve fights and bs.

Real hockey is a real sport.

Don't try to change my words around to suit your personal tastes.  You like to watch people hit each other, fine.  I don't.

This is my last reply on this topic (because I won't change anyone's mind, no matter what I say), but your arguments are weak, at best. MMA has a lot of violence, sure, but at least the participants are prepared for this violence, they know how to defend themselves. There is no preparing yourself for the multitude of hits to the head or from behind that are a common affair in the NHL.

I'd rather have violence where everyone involved knows what's coming and how to defend themselves, than gratuitous violence for no other reason than to send someone to the hospital.

Come back to me when the NHL is serious about stopping hits to the head (which includes fights as well as elbows and shoulders to the head). Until then, hockey isn't a 'Real sport', according to your definition.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2009, 11:45:34 am »

Of the 642 matches, 182 (28%) were stopped because of head impact (punch, knee strikes, elbow strikes, kicks, slam to ground or head stomp), of which 62 (34%) involved a knockout and 120 (65%) a technical knockout. One hundred and six (16%) of the bouts were stopped because of musculoskeletal stress (elbow, ankle, shoulder and knee locks causing hyper-mobilisation of the joint through forceful distraction, hyperextension and/or rotational manipulation; and neck cranks – forceful manipulation of the opponent’s head on neck). Ninety-one (14%) were stopped through the application of a neck choke and 83 (13%) because of miscellaneous trauma. The rest of the matches ended because the match time was up or competitors were disqualified.

A total of 171 MMA matches involving 220 different competitors took place during the study period, producing 96 injuries to 78 fighters. The overall injury rate was 28.6 injuries per 100 fight participations or 12.5 injuries per 100 competitor rounds. The main findings of the study were:

* Of the 171 matches fought, 69 (40%) ended with at least one injured fighter.

* The majority of recorded injuries were to the facial region. Facial cuts were the most common injury (48%), followed by hand injury (13%), nose (10%) and eye (8%).

* After adjusting for weight and match outcome, older age was associated with significantly increased risk of injury.

* Competitors who lost a match by knockout or technical knockout ran a greater risk of injury.

* Incidence of injury increased with the length of the fight; matches lasting four or five rounds were more likely to include a fighter who suffered an injury.

In conclusion, with an overall injury rate of 28.6 injuries per 100 fight participations, MMA competitions demonstrate a high overall rate of injury, but in keeping with other combat sports involving striking.

http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/archive/mma-injury-report

I never said injuries don't happen in MMA, of course they do, it's one of the most brutal sport out there... What I said is that hockey players look to injure others when it's not necessary at all, while in MMA, fighters rarely look to injure others. There's a referee watching them to make sure that a fighter doesn't get beaten too much and jumps in as soon as he judges someone can't defent themselves intelligently anymore.

I've never seen a hockey referee jump in front of a player that is just about to cross-check someone else behind the head, or pummel someone's head into the boards with a 20ft to build up speed.

The goal of MMA is to force the other guy to quit, one way or another... This may result in injuries, but the goal certainly isn't to injure the other guy. On the other hand, hockey has NOTHING to do with violence, yet violence has been a major part of it for years and years, just because people think it's cool. In all reality, hockey could be played with very limited contact, just like basketball. But people's thirst for violence makes it so that the minute to start taking away the violence out of it, people will lose their interest in hockey, and quick.

Someone said MMA was entertainment for neandertals, well hockey is just as bad, if not more. Why? Because violence is absolutely not necessary in hockey yet people crave that violence. In MMA, violence is an integral part of it, so there's no way around it.

To me, people that like MMA just aren't fooling themselves... They like violence, sure, but they mostly appreciate the tactical battles going on... Take out the violence out of hockey and we'll see how many non-neandertals will still appreciate the sport. Even in international competitions, there's a fair amount of hitting going on.

That's it, now I'm done with this topic.