Author Topic: Camry Last in Globe & Mail Comparo  (Read 15323 times)

Greg B.

Camry Last in Globe & Mail Comparo
« on: January 22, 2009, 06:14:39 pm »
Wow... ranked 6th in a field of 6 family sedans... the bloom is definitely off the rose. How much longer will people keep buying a car that is last-in-class, simply because of an image that is no longer valid?

http://www.globeauto.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20090122.whFamilySedansMain0122/GAStory/specialGlobeAuto/home

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
Re: Camry Last in Globe & Mail Comparo
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 06:22:26 pm »
^^^^That's pretty odd.  Most every review I read has never had the Altima as number one.  So I'm immediately suspicious.  In every other comparo, the Altima has always been near bottom...Of course.....these are with the 4 bangers..so who knows.  To be sure, the Altima with a 4 banger is pretty punchy though.

But I guess if it comes out of Toronto, it MUST be real.... ::)  (I've never been fond of Globe and Mail car "reviews" or "tests")

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/112_0802_midsize_sedan_comparison/specs_and_road_test_data.html

« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 06:33:53 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 06:30:46 pm »
Regardless of this article, Jeremy Cato dude is a joker; the same goes for his partner in jokes Michael Vaughan.
I would take everything they say/write as pure entertainment.
I say that because I read the Auto section every Thu and occasionally watch that Auto Business show they have. For that matter of fact, most of the G&M Auto contributors are amateurs based on what they write most of the times.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 08:18:48 pm by carcrazy »

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 07:13:57 pm »
 The Camry came in last ,big deal. Which car is the oldest design that was tested among the six? Answer Camry. ::)

2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 07:32:20 pm »
How much longer will people keep buying a car that is last-in-class, simply because of an image that is no longer valid?

Wow....Do people really buy a car because some dude (or dudette) writes a story about it in the paper/magazine/internet?  I actually drive them and form MY OWN OPINION.  ;D

Offline GTI-Gabe

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +2/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 94 Golf GTI; 2006 Jetta 2.5L; Mazda 3; BMW 323i; BMW X1 (all standard cars except X1)
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 07:39:11 pm »
How much longer will people keep buying a car that is last-in-class, simply because of an image that is no longer valid?

Wow....Do people really buy a car because some dude (or dudette) writes a story about it in the paper/magazine/internet?  I actually drive them and form MY OWN OPINION.  ;D

Thanks for the link, I just called the dealer and asked for my deposit back on my Camry order  ;D
Viva el coche!

Offline Iso Octane

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +0/-3
  • to the beat of the different drum
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 08:20:55 pm »
The most daring design is the Mazda6. This is a racy, aggressive look — the absolute antithesis of the old Mazda6, which was as bland and boring and uninspired as any four-door car sold this decade.

Whoa whoa whoa.  That is simply not the case with the out-going 6.  In fact it's completely the opposite.  The old 6 was the most aggressive looking, and had the most sporting pretensions, and even had the Mazdaspeed model to back it up.

I'm going go out and look for a salt truck to dump all over this stupid article.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 08:23:58 pm »
The most daring design is the Mazda6. This is a racy, aggressive look — the absolute antithesis of the old Mazda6, which was as bland and boring and uninspired as any four-door car sold this decade.

Whoa whoa whoa.  That is simply not the case with the out-going 6.  In fact it's completely the opposite.  The old 6 was the most aggressive looking, and had the most sporting pretensions, and even had the Mazdaspeed model to back it up.

I'm going go out and look for a salt truck to dump all over this stupid article.

Yeah, this comment jumped at me today when I was reading the article in the paper. Like I said, this guy is just something else... He always makes such comments that only prove he has no clue.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 08:24:40 pm »
Portions of the new 6 remind me of Lexus ES350.......

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 08:25:45 pm »
Much ado about nothing (other than sh1t disturbing by GregB).  ::)
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 08:28:08 pm »

C'mon....he'd NEVER do that...... ;D

Greg B.

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2009, 09:27:18 pm »

Hey, don't shoot the messenger... I didn't write the thing.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2009, 09:41:36 pm »
The Camry came in last ,big deal. Which car is the oldest design that was tested among the six? Answer Camry. ::)

In two months that will all change.  :)

2.5 litre with either 169 HP or 179 HP
6 speed auto
6 speed standard in I4 SE

Stability Control and TC standard
Knee Air Bag Standard

Without 0% financing me thinks Malibu and Fusion in major doo doo.  :)

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2009, 10:02:42 pm »

There are people that have owned a Camry for years without driving it.
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2009, 10:57:29 pm »

Hey, don't shoot the messenger... I didn't write the thing.

No one suggested that you wrote the piece. But you did post it and make a comment designed to rile up the Toyota fanboys on here (of which I am not one). Your attempt at fake innocence doesn't wash as you love to jazz the import crowd.

While I like the Globe & Mail for general information and business items, I doubt it is very authoritarian in the field of automobile reviewing. So, let's move on; you got your reaction.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2009, 11:02:25 pm »

No one suggested that you wrote the piece. But you did post it and make a comment designed to rile up the Toyota fanboys on here (of which I am not one). Your attempt at fake innocence doesn't wash as you love to jazz the import crowd.

You're a terrible liar..... ;D

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2009, 11:24:43 pm »

You're a terrible liar..... ;D

Not so. I am not a Toyota fanboy. I think the HL we have is a decent machine, and has given us zero problems but I am not fanatical about Toyotas. They are good vehicles, very reliable, styling starting to be a bit more exciting on some models, and overall, reasonably good value. Not terribly exciting tho.

I likely would buy other similarily-priced sedans over the Camry (such as the Mazda 6 or the Maxima).

Now if I were accused of being a BMW fanboy, I could understand that.  ;)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2009, 11:31:14 pm »

Not so. I am not a Toyota fanboy. I think the HL we have is a decent machine, and has given us zero problems but I am not fanatical about Toyotas. They are good vehicles, very reliable, styling starting to be a bit more exciting on some models, and overall, reasonably good value. Not terribly exciting tho.

Listen.  Lie all you want.  I know you're a closet fan-boy.   :rofl2:  It's OK.  Come to the dark side...   :rofl2:

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2009, 11:44:01 pm »
 :shuffle: :shuffle: :shake:

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2009, 12:35:30 am »
I will be surprised if a Camry finished in the Top 3 of any published comparison test.