Author Topic: Fusion hybrid bests Camry, Altima, Malibu hybrids in C&D test  (Read 12884 times)

Mitlov

Fusion hybrid bests Camry, Altima, Malibu hybrids in C&D test
« on: January 12, 2009, 11:42:31 pm »
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison_test/sedans/2010_ford_fusion_hybrid_vs_camry_hybrid_altima_hybrid_and_malibu_hybrid_comparison_test

Nice read.  The new Fusion hybrid sounds fantastic--refined, good to drive, and the best on gas of the four.  And before someone says C&D is pandering to Detroit and pandering to the new cars, the Malibu hybrid came in dead-last and endured quite a thrashing.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
Re: Fusion hybrid bests Camry, Altima, Malibu hybrids in C&D test
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 01:18:43 am »
The new Fusion hybrid sounds fantastic--refined, good to drive

The test logs include many comments about “surging.” Engaging the cruise control deals with it every time.    ::)

and the best on gas of the four

True, but it's the heaviest, slowest and most expensive.

Though the Fusion gets out-hustled by the Altima and the Camry—at 3805 pounds, the Ford is the heaviest of the four—we think 8.5 seconds to 60 mph is just fine considering the fuel economy

The new Fusion hybrid sounds fantastic--refined, good to drive

Ford has pulled off a game changer with this 2010 model, creating a high-mpg family hauler that’s fun to drive. That achievement has two components: First, the machinery is unexpectedly refined—call it Toyota slickness expressed with car-guy soul. Second, the electronic instrument cluster involves the driver, invites you into the hybrid game, and gives you the feedback needed to keep increasing your personal-best mpg number

"unexpectedly refined"  is all they could muster? ::)   In contrast to this about the Camry ...

This Camry is impeccably mannered and supremely confident in the rightness of its way. It sets the upper limits for smoothness, refinement, and maybe even purity of purpose. No gimmicks, no come-ons, no entertainment for drivers who like to play. Smiles are okay, but don’t let word of them get back to the engineering department.

Our opinions on Toyotas are divided, in general, and most certainly on this car. Those of us who know how difficult it is to achieve perfection love the Camry. The accelerator gain is so linear and gradual that you can squeeze on torque in increments as thin as paint. The flawless smoothness of brake actuation convincingly denies that regen and friction brakes hate to share the task of retardation. The engine discreetly comes alive to pick up the load of propulsion when the electrical side of the drivetrain can no longer keep up with demand. Everything happens seamlessly, as in an expertly conducted symphony.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 01:21:16 am by articsteve »

Honda Owner

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 01:35:01 am »
Hmmm, I wonder which company buys more advertising space at olde Car and Driver?

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 02:10:41 am »
Hmmm, I wonder which company buys more advertising space at olde Car and Driver?

IMO the article is not particularily biased.  It's title is simply:

2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid vs. Camry Hybrid, Altima Hybrid, and Malibu Hybrid

Basically, it gives you the facts as they see them.

True to form, Mitlov superimpose his own title: Fusion hybrid bests Camry, Altima, Malibu hybrids in C&D test

but omits: "in fuel mileage only"  :)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 02:17:24 am »
From what I understood, while the Ford has some drawbacks it does everything pretty well and it's one of the most engaging and fun to drive....not very appliance like which most hybrids are.

But it did win the shootout handily even though the only places it bested the Camry on the scorecard was in the wildly variable subjective categories.

Major props to Ford for building what appears to be a very, very good hybrid.  Especially on their 1st try with this car.  Impressive.  It's about $1100 USD more than the Camry.  I wonder what the spread will be in Canada??
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 02:21:50 am by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 02:32:42 am »
From what I understood, while the Ford has some drawbacks it does everything pretty well and it's one of the most engaging and fun to drive....not very appliance like which most hybrids are.

Can't say I read that.  In fact they stayed away from describing how it actually handled and braked.  Just that it was the heaviest and slowest.

First, the machinery is unexpectedly refined—call it Toyota slickness expressed with car-guy soul::)  :P

Second, the electronic instrument cluster involves the driver, invites you into the hybrid game, and gives you the feedback needed to keep increasing your personal-best mpg number.    That was the "engaging and fun" part.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 02:54:35 am »
I wonder what the spread will be in Canada??

Doubt it will matter much.

Ford.ca has no price for Fusion Hybrid yet, but I4 Fusion lease rate is 12.29 % and finance rate is blank.  :o

Canadian Camry Hybrid lease rate is 3.9% for 24 mth and 4.9% for 48 mth.  Finance rate is 3.9% for 48 mth and 4.9% for 60 mth.

The game is over just on that.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 03:28:43 am »

Can't say I read that.  In fact they stayed away from describing how it actually handled and braked.  Just that it was the heaviest and slowest.

"Ford really hit all the marks with this hybrid Fusion, combining excellent fuel economy with slick manners and an engrossing personality. Fun and fuel economy have finally gotten married in a mid-size sedan".

That's what I read.....

Online sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 05:22:55 am »

Ford.ca has no price for Fusion Hybrid yet, but I4 Fusion lease rate is 12.29 % and finance rate is blank.  :o

Canadian Camry Hybrid lease rate is 3.9% for 24 mth and 4.9% for 48 mth.  Finance rate is 3.9% for 48 mth and 4.9% for 60 mth.

Have to agree with you there Steve. If the Detroit 2.5 can't offer competitive lease and finance programs it doesn't matter if the cars are any good. :(
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 05:57:27 am »

Have to agree with you there Steve. If the Detroit 2.5 can't offer competitive lease and finance programs it doesn't matter if the cars are any good. :(

Perfect example of deep pockets winning over all odds. Being good or even great may not be enough to get people into the showrooms.  :(

The difference can be huge in terms of payments. That difference to me, when I got the Acadia, was over $150 a month and that was way too much to ignore.

Online sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 06:10:09 am »

Perfect example of deep pockets winning over all odds. Being good or even great may not be enough to get people into the showrooms.  :(

The difference can be huge in terms of payments. That difference to me, when I got the Acadia, was over $150 a month and that was way too much to ignore.

Exactly!   Lots of cars are very,very close in terms of features/performance etc. It often comes down to price/payment.
I could easily see myself saying something like "I like car "A" better than car "B" but not $100 a month better!"

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 08:47:18 am »
More weaksauce from AS and HO, why am I not surprised?

The raison d'etre of a hybrid is better mileage, which the Fusion gets. It's also very well built, entertaining to drive and has a great interior and good styling, so it wins the shootout. Deal with it.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 09:15:46 am »
I'm nursing a semi for Toyota.

There, fixed that for you.  My way saves everyone a lot of time and headbanging, too.

The Fusion is, by all accounts, an excellent vehicle.  Who cares if its heavier than the Camry - it still gets better mileage and is more fun to drive, as per C&D.

Online sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 09:50:52 am »
Just to be perfectly clear.....I was agreeing with AS about Toyota's lease/finance advantage only  ;)

Mitlov

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2009, 09:58:56 am »

But it did win the shootout handily even though the only places it bested the Camry on the scorecard was in the wildly variable subjective categories.

Having driven a Fusion (well, a Milan), I agree with C&D that it offers handling, body control, and steering which are all much better than your typical midsize family sedan.

As for AS's suggestion that the Fusion only won because of fuel economy, and the "fun" was just the readout on the dash:

All of these players were too tightly grouped in braking and roadholding to draw significant distinctions, but for the record, the Fusion did tie with the Altima at 0.80 g for top marks on the skidpad. The suspension feels nicely taut, well planted. The tires communicate more than the Camry’s and speak in tones more refined than the Altima’s.

Offline Wolverine

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Ford Focus sedan 2008 1.6 Flexfuel
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2009, 10:18:55 am »
So, the Fusion is heavier and still manages to get a better mileage, is fun to drive and good looking??? Mmmmmm, looks like a winner to me. :D

The only concern about the weight is that most of times it's traduced to higher fuel consumption, which, as we all, know, is not the case in the Fusion.

So, the Fusion is 0.9 seconds slower for 0 to 60... maybe at a drag strip this would make a difference...
"If you wanna make the world a better place take a look at yourself and make a change."

Mitlov

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2009, 10:23:12 am »

Having had a C&D subscription for a couple years, I'd say GM has more pages of advertising than Toyota, Nissan, and Ford combined.  Yet C&D tore it apart, not only for its mild hybrid system, but also for its "droning engine sound" and "dollar-store plastic interior."

Doesn't seem to me that the results of this test were bought.

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2009, 10:24:06 am »

All of these players were too tightly grouped in braking and roadholding to draw significant distinctions, but for the record, the Fusion did tie with the Altima at 0.80 g for top marks on the skidpad. The suspension feels nicely taut, well planted. The tires communicate more than the Camry’s and speak in tones more refined than the Altima’s.

:think:

I'm just sceptical of Ford's all of a sudden leap in quality...I'll believe it when I see longevity.

::)

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2009, 10:30:42 am »
What I want to know is,

How in heck do these hybrids keep the weight under 3800 lbs?

What with normal semi-luxury small sedans weighing 4000 lbs these days, how do these hybrids with huge battery packs and extra electric motors and just as contemporary chassis keep under 4000 lbs is a engineering fabulous-ness.

...oh, i only slept 3 hours, so if i don't make sense, please excuse.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Mitlov

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2009, 10:36:43 am »
I'm just sceptical of Ford's all of a sudden leap in quality

Says the owner of a Hyundai?  Both companies have made dramatic improvements in the past ten years.

As for reliability, that's where Consumer Reports comes in.  The Fusion has been on the road for four years now and still has excellent reliability ratings.  Indeed, it's one of the most reliable family cars on the road, according to CR.

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2008/autos/0810/gallery.cr_most_reliable/index.html

Based on a new study, Consumer Reports says both Ford and GM have made “real progress” in reliability ratings, although Chrysler did not receive similar good news.

According to the analysis, which drew upon both consumer surveys and vehicle testing, Ford offers several cars that match the ratings of foreign rivals like Toyota and Honda. Ford, the report said, is “in front of the class.” GM made gains as well, although several of its vehicles continue to have reliability problems.

Some of the winners include the Ford Fusion, Mercury Milan, Lincoln MKZ, Cadillac DTS, Ford Taurus, Ford Taurus X and Mercury Sable. The Ford Taurus is being redesigned for 2010, and the Mercury Sable and Taurus X are being discontinued.

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2009/01/ford-and-gm-mak.html
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 10:41:24 am by Mitlov »