Author Topic: 2010 Toyota Prius Hybrid is revealed. Preliminary specs available.  (Read 11959 times)

Offline Wolverine

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Ford Focus sedan 2008 1.6 Flexfuel
Re: 2010 Toyota Prius Hybrid is revealed. Preliminary specs available.
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2009, 06:12:40 am »
The headlights would look perfect without that little piece that goes on the hood.

The dashboard is terrible, too much information, too little space, should be placed at the left side, not in the centre.
"If you wanna make the world a better place take a look at yourself and make a change."

Cortina

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2009, 10:46:31 pm »
MK3 Toyota Prius, First drive. Petty rock solid the M2. The MK1 is my fav.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/03/25/first-drive-2010-toyota-prius-puts-up-big-numbers/

I really dislike the dash. The Insight dash is so much nicer.

I guess all cars are going to start having headlights like this.  8) ::)

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2009, 07:24:25 pm »
all nice, but what is the plastic like inside? :)
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2009, 08:30:12 pm »
???I was the proud owner of 2008 Prius wich I drove for 21,000 KM.
The heating in the winter was good but the Variable Stability Control system that is on the car has a fondamental design flaw. If the road is icy with snow on it the VSC system prevents the car front wheels from spinning and a message is sent to the computer to stop the engine.

You are left with no car when trying to go up a hill on icy condition even if you have the best winter tires on the car like the Blizzak S60 or the IG20 from a Yokohama.

The problem exists on the Prius and the Camry which share the same design philosophy.

I had no choice but to change the car for a Matrix AWD which has the same VSC system but  this time has a switch called VSC to disengaged the system so your wheels can spin and you can move through icy road like any ordinary front wheel car. The Matrix is manufactured in Canada and has that disengagement button for the VSC which the the Prius 2008 does not have.

I am passing this out to you because I have read this also on a web site from a driver in Vermont which had the same experience as  I did . Toyota tries to ignore the problem because the 2009 Prius has the same problem. I hope you can pass the on to Toyota through your channel.

I want to get another hybrid and I just read your article on the 2010 Insight coming in 2009. Can you tell me if it is a 5 door like the Prius and if the back seat wil go down flat so that you can put cargo because on the 2008 Civic Honda the back seat could not come down because of the batteries

I loved the Prius for its mileage performance but I will never buy another one until this VSC on and off button comes with the car like I have on the 2009 Matrix.

If you can pass this along to Toyota Japan through your connection I would appreciate it.

NB  The 2007 Prius does not have the VSC feature and is driving like a normal front wheel car on icy roads.

Thank you for your help.

Holy crap!
Just did some research on this, and he is right.

The Prius can effectively just stop in slippery conditions, stranding it's driver.
This is downright dangerous.
Why the heck is this thing even allowed on the roads anywhere there is snow?????

saskwheatfarm

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2009, 09:26:02 pm »
the articles from the pr / drive event sound decent...

i guess they're learning from the 2nd gen...lower the mpg expectations bar, and when people are able to exceed that mpg by a good margin it makes for good PR.  Having said that, i like what i'm reading so far.  It's got alot of room and cargo space, and if 4-5L/100km holds up in Canada, not bad..

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/posteddriving/archive/2009/03/25/2010-Toyota-Prius.aspx

"...It made me forget I was driving a hybrid"... :o

Cortina

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2009, 05:57:00 pm »
The Prius comes with self-parking system.  Although I don't understand what is difficult about parking. Its only 3 maybe 4 turns of the steering wheel to park anyways. I guess some people have trouble and there is a need. I wonder if you could blame the self-parking system. If you caused a crash. Saying to insurance company. It is not my fault. I was not in charge of the car when it crashed.  So their fore my insurance should not go up. ;D

http://www.thestar.com/fpLarge/video/608778  <--Video of the  self-parking system in action.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 07:43:33 pm by Cortina »

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2009, 07:34:10 pm »
I guess some people have trouble and there is a need.

Well, judging by the average Prius driver I see on the road, I am guessing they know their customers well. :)