Author Topic: Ford reveals Proper Flagship Taurus  (Read 31481 times)

Offline Wolverine

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Ford Focus sedan 2008 1.6 Flexfuel
Re: Ford reveals Proper Flagship Taurus
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2009, 01:15:48 pm »
Loved them until th odom hits pass 120,000Km, then things fall apart

Pretty common with all the Big Threemobiles of the era. I am not convinced that this has changed much. The Big 2.5's new wonder cars are too new to tell if they will have long term reliability. This is the real test they face.

I would say it has changed a lot.
"If you wanna make the world a better place take a look at yourself and make a change."

Cortina

« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2009, 01:56:38 pm »

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2009, 03:04:25 pm »
Loved them until th odom hits pass 120,000Km, then things fall apart

Pretty common with all the Big Threemobiles of the era. I am not convinced that this has changed much. The Big 2.5's new wonder cars are too new to tell if they will have long term reliability. This is the real test they face.

I think the first challange for the Detroit 2.01 is to build cars that people want to buy in the first place.
The new Taurus and the revised Fusion might be just that. Time will tell.

Honda Owner

« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2009, 04:31:39 pm »
I would say it has changed a lot.

We'll see but for the last thirty years of so I have seen a progression of new "import fighters" from the Big 2.5 that made all the same promises. I am not convinced but if anyone wants to spend their hard earned cash on a Big 2.5 vehicle, they have my most unreserved encouragement. I would like someone else to test the water for me.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2009, 05:32:27 pm »
I do think the Taurus has the potential to be a successful vehicle.

However, Ford has lost me, and my family as a customer forever, regardless of what their new products are like, and what everyone else said. Between me, my sisters, my brother, my parents, and the young ones, we have over 18 vehicles, and non of them are Ford, or GM for that matter.

We had bought new vehicles from the Detroit 3, but no more. With the attitudes of the CAW Union is showing, I am not sure I would buy from them on that reason alone.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2009, 06:12:23 pm »

I think the first challange for the Detroit 2.01 is to build cars that people want to buy in the first place.

I agree.  I think I'd buy a Ford if they offered something compelling....(like a the diesel Fiesta)...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2009, 06:13:55 pm »
What is that rectangular thing on the ashtray/cupholder??  Or did someone leave something on there??  Any ideas??

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2009, 06:26:58 pm »
Taurus/Fusion/Flex  not for me... too big but I would/will look at both the Fiesta and the "EuroFocus" when they appear. But barring crashes MY next car buying is 3 1/2 years off and mrs tpl's maybe 2 years and that would be a new Fit I expect.  So I won't be much help for the big 2.5 for a bit yet. ( And if the market recovers I might just have another German car like an M-B)
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2009, 06:29:05 pm »

I agree.  I think I'd buy a Ford if they offered something compelling....(like a the diesel Fiesta)...

:rofl2: I told you already, it's not coming.
Now I'm tempted by a 1.6L Ecoboost, but I guess the regular 1.6L I4 would do it for me.
I'm waiting for the new Focus too.

To Initial_D's point, I'm somehow glad the Fiesta will not be made by UAW/CAW workers, although I wish it was built by Canadian non-unionized workers.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2009, 06:31:37 pm »
although I wish it was built by Canadian non-unionized workers.

We (my shop) did all the lenses, lighting and optics for it....does that count???   ;D

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2009, 06:40:35 pm »
although I wish it was built by Canadian non-unionized workers.

We (my shop) did all the lenses, lighting and optics for it....does that count???   ;D

I hope you did a good job !!!! I guess it counts.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2009, 06:41:28 pm »
^^^^Did the new Taurus too!!

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2009, 07:53:26 pm »
Steve, the Fusion is larger, wider and shorter than the Camry by 2mm, the Accord is larger than the Fusion by 134 mm, wider by 33 mm and taller by 23 mm. So, by your own math, the Camry competes with the Fusion, but not with the Accord... ??

Camry, Accord, Fusion, Sonata and Malibu are mid sizers, Avalon, Taurus and Azera are full sizers.

How can you say the Taurus is in the same category of the Accord, if the current Taurus is almost 200 mm larger than the Accord...?

Steve, the Fusion is larger, wider and shorter than the Camry by 2mm

Since the Fusion is an American car can we please dispense with metric measurements.  :)

The outside measurements may be the same as the Camry, but it's still based on the old Mazda 6 CD3 platform and when you're ACTUALLY in them you can see that; not roomy in the least.

Even the "revised" 2010 Fusion and Milan are based on the same platform.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2009, 07:59:08 pm »
  but it's still based on the old Mazda 6 CD3 platform and when you're ACTUALLY in them you can see that; not roomy in the least.

FWIW, the Mazda 6 and new Fusion use the CD3-2 platform......

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2009, 08:21:30 pm »
"Since the Fusion is an American car can we please dispense with metric measurements.  "
What does that have to with what units are used ???
Are not  engine size given in metric

RR do you make  your product  at work in metric or imperial  ?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2009, 08:35:20 pm »

Sadly, both.  We deal with US customers too...so inches it is.  For the imports?  Metric.

Some CNC machines here run in inches.  The High Speed CNC machines run in metric...since the finer resolution of the metric allows more points and therefore the machine to run smoother (seems odd I know...but I've seen the tests that prove).  My CAM workstation I program all in metric and all of my tooling is metric sized......(80mm to .5 mm cutters)  I program and run the High Speeds.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2009, 08:42:07 pm »

For Fords sake I hope buyers do not think the new Taurus is in the same segment as the Accord and Camry, for
the reasons of MSRP level perception.

I do think the new Fusion does have the substance now to stand on its own feet as a true midsize competitor, and not have to default to the settle for choice.

BTW your mighty Toyota has had to move its vehicles (US market) with the dreaded 0% carrot the last few months as well.

Fords goal at the moment is sustainability, and changing consumer perception, not trying to outsell Toyota or Honda.

At least it looks like Ford N.A. is getting serious about competiting, and actually raising the bar in some cases such as tech/features offered and EPA ratings.

BTW your mighty Toyota has had to move its vehicles (US market) with the dreaded 0% carrot the last few months as well.

"as well"  hmmm  ... sounds like somebody else on this forum  :think:   :)

October and in parts of the USA, November, 0% was in place.  Canadian dealers can only dream of such a thing.  Not the last few months.

I do think the new Fusion does have the substance now to stand on its own feet as a true midsize competitor, and not have to default to the settle for choice.

Fusion and Milan for years have been sold with 0% financing on a continuous basis.  That is unsustainable.  

Offline CyberNick

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda 6 GT, 2007 Mazda 6 GT
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2009, 08:50:15 pm »
What is that rectangular thing on the ashtray/cupholder??  Or did someone leave something on there??  Any ideas??

It looks like a key fob with retractable key, I think.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2009, 08:51:47 pm »
  but it's still based on the old Mazda 6 CD3 platform and when you're ACTUALLY in them you can see that; not roomy in the least.

Mazda 6 yes, but Fusion?  Please post a link.

However the point I was making about why the current Fusion was such a sales disappointment was because it was based on the Mazda 6 platform and that is a small car inside.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2009, 08:57:24 pm »
"Since the Fusion is an American car can we please dispense with metric measurements.  "

::)

It's an American car and Americans measure objects in inches and feet.  It's ridiculous to refer to a car being 2mm larger as if that actually relates to anything useful.