Author Topic: Ford reveals Proper Flagship Taurus  (Read 31434 times)

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-83
    • View Profile
Ford reveals Proper Flagship Taurus
« on: January 11, 2009, 07:27:37 am »
The new Taurus is powered by the automaker’s 3.5-liter V6 Duratec engine, mated to one of two available six-speed automatic transmissions, including SelectShift with shift paddle shifters mounted on the steering wheel. As was the case with the previous model, all-wheel-drive is optional.

The V6 motor delivers an estimated 263 horsepower and 249 foot-pounds of torque. It earns a ULEV-II emissions certification and comes paired with a choice of two new six-speed automatic transmissions. Initially, the car will be offered in SE and SEL trim levels. Ford says it plans to offer a performance-oriented EcoBoost model, with an announcement regarding availability coming soon.

Critically, the new 2010 Taurus will start at $25,995 USD – the same price as 2009 model.

“Lightning can strike twice,” said Peter Horbury, Ford’s North American design director. “Like the 1986 original, the new 2010 Taurus differentiates by combining style with substance.”

Taurus features a long list of high-tech features, including: Adaptive Cruise Control with Collision Warning, Intelligent Access with Push Button Start, MyKey parental programmability, Blind Spot Information System (BLIS) with Cross Traffic Alert, Rain-Sensing Wipers, EasyFuel capless refueling, Ford SYNC and Voice-Activated Navigation with SIRIUS Travel Link

Good pics on this site http://www.motorauthority.com/ford-debuts-new-2010-taurus-sedan.html
and here http://www.caranddriver.com/news/auto_shows/2009_detroit_auto_show_naias_auto_shows/production_debuts/2010_ford_taurus_auto_shows+view-photos.html
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 07:41:56 am by MKII »

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
Re: Ford reveals Proper Flagship Taurus
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 08:19:38 am »
With two six speed transmissions I wonder what the price difference will be to get the paddles and which one proves to be the most popular.

Likely the paddles are packaged with something sportier like suspension bits to push up the price - er make it better. ::)

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 08:27:22 am »
Doesn't really seem like the sort of car where the typical buyer would expect (or want) paddle shifters? It seems more of a gimmick than anything else to me.  :-\
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Honda Owner

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 11:56:07 am »
Does $26,000 strike anyone else as a lot of money for a "family" car?

Paddle shifters are a "gee-whiz" thing. Once you play with them a bit, you forget all about them.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 12:06:04 pm »

Paddle shifters are a "gee-whiz" thing. Once you play with them a bit, you forget all about them.

No, most family cars are probably over 30gs, once you get a couple of toys on them

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 12:32:07 pm »

Strikes me as cheap for such a big car.  All depends on your definition of "family car".  I have seen so many small Eurocars disgorging families of 5+  the family dog AND chairs, picnic baskets while on vacation in France since the '80s that I have come to believe that most NA family cars are too damn big.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 01:07:20 pm »
The Taurus and Taurus X handle much better than their size would otherwise indicate.

Flappy paddles and manumatics are a novelty for the first day or two, then forgotten. They're targeted at people who can't drive stick, or are too lazy to. :stick:

Much like 20" wheels, they are a fad.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Honda Owner

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 01:24:21 pm »

No, most family cars are probably over 30gs, once you get a couple of toys on them

Well, it is more than I am willing to pay. I can see why the Big 2.5 (and our Esteemed Finance Minister, Mike Harris Flaherty) are belly-aching about "access to finance." Without low interest leasing, these things are out of reach of most buyers.

But then again, I have deep pockets and short arms.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12389
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 02:03:43 pm »
Exterior styling is kinda bland.  At least its not ugly.  I like the center stack, but I'm really not at all fond of that woodgrain dash with sunken guages.  Not everything retro is good.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Mitlov

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 02:05:03 pm »

This doesn't compete with the Camry, Altima, and Sonata.  That's the Fusion's job.  This competes with the Avalon, Maxima, and Azera.  Against that competition, the price is very competitive.

Except for the wheels, I think it looks great in and out.  I'm extremely impressed. 

Greg B.

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 02:07:31 pm »

Well, a bare-bones bottom-feeder 4-banger Accord is $26K. Loaded up, it is over $40K before taxes. This one seems like a much better deal.

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 02:49:43 pm »
The original Taurus was Ford's last really successful attempt at design innovation IMO, the only word I can think I can think of to describe this new one is 'bland'.

The new Taurus looks too much like it's inspiration was the current Chrysler 300, if a bit less cleanly done. It has the same high cowl and beltline, the same short windows and the same horizontal line stretching from the trunk almost to the grille. Those fake chrome vents on the front fenders don't look any better on this car than they did on the '08 Focus. The car has a very heavy and bulbous look, especially in the front three-quarter view. It's probably a good car, but not very likely good enough to fill the shoes of the original. Time will tell.
' Saw an Alfalfa Romeeo go by - furrin sports car forty feet long, mebbe nine inches high.' - Charlie Farquharson

Offline Wolverine

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Ford Focus sedan 2008 1.6 Flexfuel
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2009, 03:03:14 pm »
It looks really good, in and out.
"If you wanna make the world a better place take a look at yourself and make a change."

Mitlov

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2009, 03:31:40 pm »

Well, a bare-bones bottom-feeder 4-banger Accord is $26K. Loaded up, it is over $40K before taxes. This one seems like a much better deal.

That's US$26,000, not Canadian.  Very competitive pricing...the Avalon starts at $27,800; the Azera starts at $24,900, and the Maxima starts at $30,160.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2009, 03:33:14 pm »
The front looks like a cross between a TL and a Legacy. Not ugly though, kind of nice.

The back looks too Lincoln. Wheels are terrible.

Interior befitting a Crown Vic Police Interceptor, or a cab. They should hire the guy who did the CTS interior (just to keep things domestic).
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Mitlov

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2009, 03:41:09 pm »
Interior befitting a Crown Vic Police Interceptor, or a cab. They should hire the guy who did the CTS interior (just to keep things domestic).

You guys must have fancy cop cars and cabs up there.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2009, 03:53:11 pm »

You guys must have fancy cop cars and cabs up there.

The shapes friend, not the materials. :)

And lately many of our airport limos and cabs etc. are US imports. :P

Offline Wolverine

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Ford Focus sedan 2008 1.6 Flexfuel
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2009, 06:26:37 am »
Well, I don't about the materials 'cause I didn't touch them  ;D, but I like the layout. looks classy without being over the top.

Now lets wait for the test drives and the SHO to show up with the EcoBoost 3.5L V6 with 355HP.

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-83
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2009, 06:54:41 am »
Nice pic of rear http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2009/01/09_taurusdetroit.jpg 
rearend reminds me of a mix of 69 Galaxie and 69 Fairlaine Torino

Peter Horbury Fords Chief of Design video on the Taurus
http://info.detnews.com/redesign/multimedia/includes/featuredvideo.cfm?id=3013

and Peter Reyes Engineer speaks about features
http://info.detnews.com/redesign/multimedia/includes/featuredvideo.cfm?id=3014

Offline Thinking Out Loud

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '16 Suzuki M50 Boulevard + '19 Frontier Pro4X + 2015 Mustang EcoBoost 'vert + '09 Altima SL Coupe
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2009, 08:10:32 am »
The original Taurus was Ford's last really successful attempt at design innovation IMO, the only word I can think I can think of to describe this new one is 'bland'.

The original Taurus innovation, as such, hinged on it's appearance as a near clone of the very forward thinking 'jelly-bean' Audi 5000 of the era - relative to the boxy Chevy Celebrity's and Dodge Dynasty's of the 1980's.

R&T or C&D did a comparison back in the mid eighties of the Taurus/5000 due to the obvious mimicry of Ford, and the Taurus did quite well in power, handling and packaging, especially since it was never intended to compete against the 5000.

When I first clicked on the link, a see-through Honda ad appeared over the image of the Taurus, and I accidentally thought I opened up an Accord link.....  :o
Fortune favours the bold!