Author Topic: 2010 Buick LaCrosse (Allure)  (Read 14430 times)

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 Buick LaCrosse (Allure)
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2009, 04:56:58 pm »

What is the average age of a Buick customer?

It's 65 years old.
http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060418/FREE/60417007/1041

Its not statistaclly possible that MANY young people drive Buicks. Unless there is some other type of math we don't know about.

Sure it is..."young" and "many" are by your definition.  3 buyers at 80 years of age and 4 buyers at 53 average to 65.

Here's an older (2006) article that the average buyer of a Camry was 52...and Hyundai's at the time was 39.  From the report "Younger consumers see Toyota as a brand for older drivers, lacking distinction and peer approval."

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Columns/articleId=109823/subsubtypeId=217

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2009, 05:30:34 pm »
Barrie - "Gee did you miss the word Portholes mentioned in your own article. Its obvious you did to continue on questioning me as usual. Thats what they were called in my area back then..."

Gee, no I didn't miss the word "portholes" at all. Your original statement was, and I quote you: "I believe they were actually called Portholes instead of vents when Buick started useing them in the late 40's and early 50's. I like the look of them myself and the Red is sharp I feel as well." 

I stated and proved with a LINK, that they were actually called Ventiports when Buick started using them in 1949 - NOT portholes as you claimed.

I obvious that you can't read very well or you can't understand what you read.

The reason that I, and several more posters, get to "call you" so often on here is that you make statements that are supposed to be taken as fact, but you are so often wrong with your facts. If you post opinions, no one can say your opinion is wrong, it's just your opinion. BUT, when you say the holes were originally called "portholes", that is a statement of fact. and then I can prove you wrong with a LINK (that thing you never do).

Anyway, the "whole" (sic) is silly as trying to explain things to you is like talking to a rock.  ::) ::)

As I stated before, most of your posts provide comic relief on here. Keep 'em coming, it's fun..... ;D ;D

« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 05:40:35 pm by ovr50 »
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Honda Owner

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2009, 06:49:34 pm »
I obvious that you can't read very well or you can't understand what you read.

Come one, be nice. "Young" is a relative term." I do note that Barrie's spelling degrades as the evenings go on and is worse on weekends.

barrie1

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2009, 10:08:33 pm »
We called them Portholes here which I remember by all concerned at the time. No-body I know has ever referred to them as Ventiports or anything else in the old car hobby except Portholes which they did resemble back then a lot. I still attend many carshows every year and thats the name they still go by around Ont or at least in the London area. Its strange that even thruout the article they keep referring to them as Portholes as well. Yes they do mention the other name as well but no-where near as often. The word Venti=port or vents is used 5 times while the word Portholes is used 8 times in the same article. Obviously both are correct so I will leave it at that. Thats enough to prove my point by your article itself.  :)

Honda Owner

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2009, 10:42:00 pm »
I know has ever referred to them as Ventiports

Except Buick, who uses said term in their advertising for many years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buick

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2009, 09:44:43 am »
This is pretty amusing ,this porthole discussion.  From wiki it says the first buicks with these portholes were functional.Do i have to provide proof or can you take me at my word? I am not writing a thesis,so i shouldn't have to quote. Be nice.There must be more to talk about concerning this car. It looks much better than the current version and is indeed very similar looking to the lincoln.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 09:50:26 am by Seafoam »
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

barrie1

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2009, 06:30:47 pm »
The aerodynamics of many modern cars are all starting to look very similar which I would suspect does help with better fuel milage.  :)

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2009, 02:20:33 pm »
The aerodynamics of many modern cars are all starting to look very similar which I would suspect does help with better fuel milage.  :)

I actually cars to look way more distinctive than the "bar of soap" designs so prevalent in the late '80s to early '90s.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2009, 02:53:25 pm »

I actually cars to look way more distinctive than the "bar of soap" designs so prevalent in the late '80s to early '90s.

I agree, and the leader of the "bar of soap" parade was the Ford Taurus. A huge success for Ford but then they abandoned it, rather than improve on it, and thereby yielded the best 4 door sedan mantle to Honda and Toyota.

Cortina

« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2009, 06:36:32 pm »
All future Buicks are going to be Opels. The LaCrosse is base on a Opel/Vauxhall Insignia

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/03/09/where-have-we-heard-this-before-future-buicks-based-on-opels/

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2009, 07:00:11 pm »
All future Buicks are going to be Opels. The LaCrosse is base on a Opel/Vauxhall Insignia

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/03/09/where-have-we-heard-this-before-future-buicks-based-on-opels/
Mmmm I don't think it says that ALL Buicks are going to be based on Opels but it does sound like they're bringing over the Insignia.

What I think they will probably do, based on the few articles I've read, is bring over too many or have too many overlapping cars with other GM brands (again!) and screw it all up. Plus Buick has a heck of a reputation to overcome.  Maybe its time for a new/revised logo, some new product (they already have that coming), and some advertising to try and break the old stereotype that they themselves had perpetuated.  Ironically Buick is a very popular brand in China!

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2009, 09:35:19 pm »

Mmmm I don't think it says that ALL Buicks are going to be based on Opels but it does sound like they're bringing over the Insignia.

What I think they will probably do, based on the few articles I've read, is bring over too many or have too many overlapping cars with other GM brands (again!) and screw it all up. Plus Buick has a heck of a reputation to overcome.  Maybe its time for a new/revised logo, some new product (they already have that coming), and some advertising to try and break the old stereotype that they themselves had perpetuated.  Ironically Buick is a very popular brand in China!

Why spend money to try to change the Buick image? Won't that be very costly and time consuming? Is a costly and time consuming reimaging program what GM should be spending its time and money on right now?

Why spend money and effort trying to revive and rebuild the lowest selling brand of all the remining Gm brands?

Cortina

« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2009, 10:03:42 am »

Lets say 50 - 75% Then.  :P

Buick has been the case for a few years now. I'm not surprised considering what the chinese car makers make. Its strange how different markets perceive the same brands. Honda's are brought and consider for the elderly in the UK. :)

barrie1

« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2009, 12:15:32 am »
Buick has always built a decent reliable car and is virtually almost the No.1 selling car in China so there is a need for it there. I still see a fair share of them here driven by all ages as well as the older folks who appreciate a nice riding car. I think theres still a market for them with Oldsmobile gone as they are basically the Poor mans Caddy.  :)

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2009, 01:01:43 pm »

Here's an older (2006) article that the average buyer of a Camry was 52...and Hyundai's at the time was 39.  From the report "Younger consumers see Toyota as a brand for older drivers, lacking distinction and peer approval."

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Columns/articleId=109823/subsubtypeId=217

Kind of how the Brits view Hondas, huh?
Always loved the Top gear episode when they took the Element to some seniors for their evaluation.
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Cortina

« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2009, 01:50:22 pm »
Buick has always built a decent reliable car and is virtually almost the No.1 selling car in China so there is a need for it there. I still see a fair share of them here driven by all ages as well as the older folks who appreciate a nice riding car. I think theres still a market for them with Oldsmobile gone as they are basically the Poor mans Caddy.  :)

Funny you should that, Most Caddies in NA, loose a kings randoms and worth about, well almost the same as a Buick of similar vintage used. The CTS is the only one that has almost change all that. Because It Is not a massive boat and can be thrown around corners IMO and overall a pretty nice car that appeals to wider age range. :)

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2009, 06:44:56 pm »

Why spend money to try to change the Buick image? Won't that be very costly and time consuming? Is a costly and time consuming reimaging program what GM should be spending its time and money on right now?

Why spend money and effort trying to revive and rebuild the lowest selling brand of all the remining Gm brands?
Well I think that they should just shut the whole thing down in my opinion.  Except the Enclave is apparently quite a good luxury CUV all things considered.  But in the absence of that an updated image might help...

Or not. Its not even certain that GM as a whole will survive the coming months...that can't be good for their sales.

barrie1

« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2009, 09:53:33 pm »
They are still selling vheicles everyday and actually sold how many million last year. Even in a recession now they will still sell millions but less then before of course just lie everybody else. No matter what happens GM will still be here in one form or another.  :)

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2009, 10:24:20 pm »
They are still selling vheicles everyday and actually sold how many million last year. Even in a recession now they will still sell millions but less then before of course just lie everybody else. No matter what happens GM will still be here in one form or another.  :)
I actually really doubt it...they have signed themselves a one way ticket to oblivion.  Unless they keep getting bailouts.  If that happens then they can go on making the same mistakes over and over again.  No amount of positive thinking is going to get them out of this.  They need to chop brands and models...and do it fast.

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2009, 10:32:24 pm »
You can only sell millions of vehicles and lose money on those sales for so long before you go out of business. Unless the laws of economics have changed.