Author Topic: Hyundai Genesis Coupe First Drive  (Read 37197 times)

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
Re: Hyundai Genesis Coupe First Drive
« Reply #140 on: March 15, 2009, 10:45:40 am »
http://www.hyundaicanada.com/Pages/showroom/showroom.aspx?model=Genesis%20Coupe

So it starts at $24,495.

That's a 210hp RWD car with 18" wheeeeeels.

We've come a long way baby.

Thats an unbelievable deal. It is hard to put it side by side to something because there isnt much like this on the market. But let's say it is marketed towards young generation. Well, Civic Si and maybe Corolla  ;) 2.4L, I mean there isnt many imports that are sporty and affordable. And talking about price, the Si starts from $26,+ and the engine is only 139lb/ft. Now this baby delivers 223lbft and thats at only 2000rpm! With such immediate torque its got 2 too many gears IMHO  ;D
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12390
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #141 on: March 15, 2009, 11:11:04 am »
The turbo 4 is a screaming deal.  I look forward to seeing some reviews on this model.  Hopefully the mags will give it some print instead of focussing on the V6 only.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #142 on: March 15, 2009, 04:44:37 pm »
Well, there is one very obvious competitor.

At $26K, Chevy offers a lot more car in the Camaro.
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 15, 2009, 05:22:22 pm »
Genesis Coupe and Camaro are not obvious competitors imo. Appeal to different buyers and have different design goals. Just IMHO.

Camaro = shove as much power as possible into as cheap as possible a car, make it look and sound like old school Detroit iron.

Genesis 2.0T = light turbo engine, a lot of focus on handling and the interior bits, a diet G35.

The Camaro is going to need that extra 100hp given the 220kg it packs over the Genesis. There are various other differences, but in this case, in this (broad) category, the aesthetics will decide.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 15, 2009, 05:28:47 pm »
Genesis Coupe and Camaro are not obvious competitors imo. Appeal to different buyers and have different design goals. Just IMHO.

Camaro = shove as much power as possible into as cheap as possible a car, make it look and sound like old school Detroit iron.

Genesis 2.0T = light turbo engine, a lot of focus on handling and the interior bits, a diet G35.

The Camaro is going to need that extra 100hp given the 220kg it packs over the Genesis. There are various other differences, but in this case, in this (broad) category, the aesthetics will decide.

Technically, the Camaro is leaps and bounds ahead of anything that ever wore the badge before. This thing is every bit as sophisticated a car as the Genesis. Perhaps even more so.

Except for the turbo engine, everything else you said applies to the Camaro.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #145 on: March 15, 2009, 05:30:46 pm »

Yep - a lot more power, a lot more size, a lot more weight, a lot more cheap plastic in the interior.  Oh well, one out of four of those things is good.  Yay Chevy.  ;)

Jaeger
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 05:33:08 pm by Jaeger »

dorin

« Reply #146 on: March 15, 2009, 05:40:02 pm »

Sometimes more is not better, i.e. the base Camaro starts off 500 lbs. heavier than the base Genesis coupe.  That's bad in a car with sporty aspirations.

edit:  I see mmret and Jaeger beat me to the punch.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 15, 2009, 07:10:15 pm »
Its okay, there will be many more opportunities to go head to head with barrie2. Give it a few decades.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #148 on: March 15, 2009, 10:31:05 pm »
http://www.hyundaicanada.com/Pages/showroom/showroom.aspx?model=Genesis%20Coupe

So it starts at $24,495.

That's a 210hp RWD car with 18" wheeeeeels.

We've come a long way baby.

That is a very good deal indeed.  And to top it off, have you seen what all the colour options are named after!  :rofl2:

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

vdk

« Reply #149 on: March 16, 2009, 12:06:13 am »
Look at that baby blue...  :love:

I gotta give it to Hyundai, I am beyond impressed. I WANT!!!

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: March 16, 2009, 09:32:56 am »

Yep - a lot more power, a lot more size, a lot more weight, a lot more cheap plastic in the interior.  Oh well, one out of four of those things is good.  Yay Chevy.  ;)

Jaeger

More weight and size, sure. Equivalent cheap interior. More sophistication in the suspension, by first accounts.

Hey, Jaeger. Good to see you are consistent. I made a bet with myself as to who would be the first to jump in and dismiss the Camaro when I made that comment. I had you in the top three! :)

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 16, 2009, 10:03:23 am »

Jaeger

More weight and size, sure. Equivalent cheap interior. More sophistication in the suspension, by first accounts.

Hey, Jaeger. Good to see you are consistent. I made a bet with myself as to who would be the first to jump in and dismiss the Camaro when I made that comment. I had you in the top three! :)

My prediction as to who would jump in and proclaim the Camaro to be just like totally way better was every bit as easy.

I wouldn't hold the interiors to be equivalently cheap - the Camaro is definitely cheaper IMHO - and an ugly design to boot.  Have you sat in both?  If not, what is the basis for your claim that there is any equivalence between the two?

Early reports from tests of pre-production models of the Camaro are definitely very encouraging.  The V6 looks like a real performance alternative, not just another watered-down bit of sectretatial transport.  But unlike you, I think it prudent to wait upon full instrumented testing of the Camaro before I annoint it the best thing since sliced bread.

Jaeger

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #152 on: March 16, 2009, 10:14:01 am »
I can barely believe the pricing.  Wow.

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 16, 2009, 10:14:45 am »

Jaeger

My prediction as to who would jump in and proclaim the Camaro to be just like totally way better was every bit as easy.

I wouldn't hold the interiors to be equivalently cheap - the Camaro is definitely cheaper IMHO - and an ugly design to boot.  Have you sat in both?  If not, what is the basis for your claim that there is any equivalence between the two?

Early reports from tests of pre-production models of the Camaro are definitely very encouraging.  The V6 looks like a real performance alternative, not just another watered-down bit of sectretatial transport.  But unlike you, I think it prudent to wait upon full instrumented testing of the Camaro before I annoint it the best thing since sliced bread.

Jaeger

Interesting comments.
Yes, have been in both. Already arranging my drive in the Genesis Coupe for this week and am making arrangements to drive a Camaro in a few more. Probably beginning of April.
Never, in any of my comments, have I said it was "the best thing since sliced bread". What I have said is:

It is the only 300hp V6 coupe for anywhere near the money.
Every driving report so far says that it is a very fine driving and sophisticated machine.

There are currently two modern RWD sports coupes available in Canada for $30K (I think the Challenger and Mustang in V6 form don't really compare. Different discussion, but I can elaborate if anyone cares.). If I was in the market for a RWD sports coupe in that price range, why on earth would I not drive both first? Would I not look at both and see which worked better for me?

Only reason I can imagine not doing so is if I had some deeply ingrained bias or prejudice against one or the other that would keep me from doing that.

My crime, it seems from your comments, is to suggest that the Camaro COULD be a viable competitive sport coupe to the Genesis. That is all I have stated here.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 16, 2009, 11:27:02 am »
My crime, it seems from your comments, is to suggest that the Camaro COULD be a viable competitive sport coupe to the Genesis. That is all I have stated here.

EriK, do you even read what you write?

Saying that "At $26k, chevy offers a lot more car in the Camaro."  is manifestly NOT the same as saying it COULD be a competitive vehicle to the Genesis.

And where did I say you committed a crime?  I seem to have missed that quite entirely.  I'd be grateful if you would point it out.

Jaeger

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 16, 2009, 11:38:39 am »

EriK, do you even read what you write?

Constantly.
I like reading the posts of one of the few people on this board I am always in agreement with. :)

Saying that "At $26k, chevy offers a lot more car in the Camaro."  is manifestly NOT the same as saying it COULD be a competitive vehicle to the Genesis.

Jaeger

It does offer a lot more. A 300hp Camaro limited to 155mph, , compared to a 137mph Genesis Coupe does seem like a lot more car to me than for only $2K more.

Crime?
Just a little poetic license on my part. :)

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #156 on: March 16, 2009, 11:47:00 am »

Jaeger

:iagree: J aeger is happy jumping from thread to thread butting heads with Sir Osis of Liver, Mitlov, Erik, etc. ::) Want a piece of me?  :stfu:

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 16, 2009, 11:59:25 am »
Constantly.
I like reading the posts of one of the few people on this board I am always in agreement with. :)

Now THAT I believe.  ;)

J aeger is happy jumping from thread to thread butting heads with Sir Osis of Liver, Mitlov, Erik, etc. ::) Want a piece of me?  :stfu:

What piece are you offering?

Jaeger

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #158 on: March 16, 2009, 12:18:32 pm »
Constantly.

Now THAT I believe.  ;)

J aeger is happy jumping from thread to thread butting heads with Sir Osis of Liver, Mitlov, Erik, etc. ::) Want a piece of me?  :stfu:

What piece are you offering?

Jaeger

My brain, clearly yours is not functioning properly.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #159 on: March 16, 2009, 12:50:38 pm »
It does offer a lot more. A 300hp Camaro limited to 155mph, , compared to a 137mph Genesis Coupe does seem like a lot more car to me than for only $2K more.

:cp2: :cp2: :cp2: Good luck finding a place to drive either car at it's limits

A perfect example of what Ovr said about people boasting about things that don't matter to the average or even talented driver.