Author Topic: Hyundai Genesis Coupe First Drive  (Read 37178 times)

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
Re: Hyundai Genesis Coupe First Drive
« Reply #80 on: February 18, 2009, 09:11:43 am »
Think a dash of chrome on the vents (and perhaps the guages?) would do wonders for the Genesis Coupe interior. Overall, find it pleasing tho.

AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #81 on: February 18, 2009, 11:42:46 am »
How much will it be in Burkina Faso, should we all get it from there instead? :p

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Kajun78

« Reply #82 on: February 18, 2009, 12:25:17 pm »
How much will it be in Burkina Faso, should we all get it from there instead? :p

Well, this post gave me the opportunity to learn a little bit about Burkina Faso (thanks to Wikipedia).

I realize that you were just joking, but I am sometimes worried that we could end up in a situation like the UK (a.k.a. Rip Off Britain) if we - as consumers - do not continue to demand that we be treated fairly.

For example, the Honda Civic Si coupe costs $26,680 (+$1,310 destination) in Canada and costs $21,905 (+$670 destination) in the US. So not only is the price we pay around 22% more, the destination charge is doubled. I guess with the Canadian dollar no longer enjoying anything close to parity with the US dollar one could argue that the 22% price difference is okay. However, as a previous post mentioned, Hyundai is only asking an 11% premium for the Genesis Coupe 2.0T. So is the Genesis overpriced in the States? Are they giving the Civic Si away down there? Or are these examples of good vs. bad deals?

So, I don't think it is quite as silly as comparisons to an impoverished West African nation. But hey, maybe I'm just over analyzing.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #83 on: February 18, 2009, 01:12:11 pm »

Well, this post gave me the opportunity to learn a little bit about Burkina Faso (thanks to Wikipedia).

I realize that you were just joking, but I am sometimes worried that we could end up in a situation like the UK (a.k.a. Rip Off Britain) if we - as consumers - do not continue to demand that we be treated fairly.

For example, the Honda Civic Si coupe costs $26,680 (+$1,310 destination) in Canada and costs $21,905 (+$670 destination) in the US. So not only is the price we pay around 22% more, the destination charge is doubled. I guess with the Canadian dollar no longer enjoying anything close to parity with the US dollar one could argue that the 22% price difference is okay. However, as a previous post mentioned, Hyundai is only asking an 11% premium for the Genesis Coupe 2.0T. So is the Genesis overpriced in the States? Are they giving the Civic Si away down there? Or are these examples of good vs. bad deals?

So, I don't think it is quite as silly as comparisons to an impoverished West African nation. But hey, maybe I'm just over analyzing.

Yes but cross border shopping is only part of the answer, all car manufacturers manage supply and demand.  If demand dries up either because people are buying from the US or because people are boycotting the car because of the US price difference then manufacturers will adjust their prices, as we saw when the dollar went to parity.  It may not be enough to please everyone but it will restore the demand/supply equilibrium.

If demand is high, why on earth would they lower the price?  Moaners will always moan, especially on the internet where the information is out there, but the manufacturers have nothing to worry about, demand will meet supply anyway.

In the EU you can buy from any European country and save over the UK list prices. It takes a bit of paperwork but it's well worth it as you save money where the base price of the car is lower due to high local taxes, such as Holland for example. And all warranties have to be honoured.

I just think comparing to other countries is pointless, if it benefits you to import from the US then do it, if it doesn't then don't, but no point comlaining as market forces drive prices.  The constant movement of FX also contributes weight to this argument.  And yes Burkina Faso is an awesome country! :)

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #84 on: February 18, 2009, 01:23:28 pm »
And much applause and a big :fiver: for Bob.  Well said. 

Let's also look at the bigger picture here, the Genesis COupe V6 represents the closest competitor I can see to the G37 coupe.  Similar size, equipment levels, performance (likely) and even styling, yet the Infiniti is nearly TWENTY THOUSAND more!  I'll happily give up a bit of dashboard texture or gauge backlighting colour to save that kind of moolah.  Regardless of a grand or two here or there versus the States, I think Hyundai has priced a winner here.
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Kajun78

« Reply #85 on: February 18, 2009, 01:52:43 pm »

Yes but cross border shopping is only part of the answer, all car manufacturers manage supply and demand.  If demand dries up either because people are buying from the US or because people are boycotting the car because of the US price difference then manufacturers will adjust their prices, as we saw when the dollar went to parity.  It may not be enough to please everyone but it will restore the demand/supply equilibrium.

If demand is high, why on earth would they lower the price?  Moaners will always moan, especially on the internet where the information is out there, but the manufacturers have nothing to worry about, demand will meet supply anyway.

In the EU you can buy from any European country and save over the UK list prices. It takes a bit of paperwork but it's well worth it as you save money where the base price of the car is lower due to high local taxes, such as Holland for example. And all warranties have to be honoured.

I just think comparing to other countries is pointless, if it benefits you to import from the US then do it, if it doesn't then don't, but no point comlaining as market forces drive prices.  The constant movement of FX also contributes weight to this argument.  And yes Burkina Faso is an awesome country! :)

So you are saying that it is silly to compare prices, but if we find a lower price we should buy it somewhere else, but we shouldn't complain about price disparities? It is silly to want to be able to go to a store and pay a fair price for something? Or is it just silly to complain about it?

As you say, the information is out there on the internet so anyone can look it up. So it is up to the Manufacturers to decide if they want to keep pricing fair across markets, or simply go the route of charging as much as possible. As a consumer, and not a stock owner, I am pleased when companies choose to go the fair pricing route.

Yes, you can price things solely on supply and demand, but it is often unwise to do so. A great example of this happens to be in Video Games. Nintendo, when realizing the success of the Wii, could have jacked the price up to $350 and still have sell outs. Why did they then lower the price when the Canadian dollar was at parity? It is called generating - and keeping - goodwill. When you're selling a product it is unwise to even appear to be gouging the customer.

vdk

« Reply #86 on: February 18, 2009, 01:59:59 pm »
But how much more for the Z? $25k base price.. say you take it to $30-$32k.. that's still alot of car for the money..

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #87 on: February 18, 2009, 03:06:26 pm »
FWIW I expected the V6 to be $30k based on US pricing as well.  IMO they blew it on that one.  But we'll see.  Canadians typically buy the lower models anyways.

You do not know my wife :rofl:

Take the US pricing crap to another thread please ::)

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #88 on: February 19, 2009, 09:51:46 pm »
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 19, 2009, 09:58:17 pm »
Whooooooooaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VWo1vy6VcM&

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Me want one!

If you tell the insurance companies here you have modded the turbo and exhaust how much do they r*pe you for?

P.S. I thought it looked good in white, but that gunmetal colour looks even better!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 10:00:24 pm by Just Bob »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 19, 2009, 10:14:08 pm »
^^Don't ask, don't tell.  Some car insurers won't touch a "modified" car...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 19, 2009, 10:15:11 pm »
^^Don't ask, don't tell.  Some car insurers won't touch a "modified" car...

I'm not in the habit of lying to insurance companies I'm afraid, too honest.  It is considered fraud you know...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 19, 2009, 10:32:15 pm »
They generally don't care about an exhaust or wheels.  But a REALLY modded car many won't touch....But hey...if you're such a law abiding citizen, what do you need more turbo for?  That would be speeding..and that's against the law too!!   :rofl2:

FWIW, I had my car inspected by my insurance company prior to coverage....they looked it over, took photos, etc..

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #93 on: February 19, 2009, 10:34:30 pm »
Far as my insurance company is concerned my car sits in my garage 24/7.... :P

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 19, 2009, 10:37:57 pm »
But hey...if you're such a law abiding citizen, what do you need more turbo for?  That would be speeding..and that's against the law too!!   

Nope, it's just getting to the limit quicker!

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 19, 2009, 10:38:22 pm »

Kajun78

« Reply #96 on: February 20, 2009, 08:18:02 am »
Those videos are sweet!

I'm looking forward to reading some comparisons including this car - actually, even in Youtube quality videos, I think the car looks better than in the photos!

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #97 on: February 20, 2009, 11:07:21 am »
Those videos are sweet!

I'm looking forward to reading some comparisons including this car - actually, even in Youtube quality videos, I think the car looks better than in the photos!

Damn, that V8 sounds good.

The video posted above about exhaust note on V6 coupe, I assumed it was I4 turbo at first(I mean, it's cheaper, more will be available, easier to mod, etc), then I heard the sound... 

'My gaaad' i thought... 'if I4 sounds that good, I'm definitely buying one'  then I figured 'there's no way I4 sounds like that.....   damn, it must be V6'  and I realized, V6 is too much coin for me. :(

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Iso Octane

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +0/-3
  • to the beat of the different drum
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 26, 2009, 06:54:17 pm »
Here's another article: http://www.autoblog.com/2009/02/26/hyundai-genesis-coupe-goes-on-sale-early-we-have-a-few-first-im/

Did I miss any news about pricing?

I'm really excited about the Coupe's arrival.  Good to see it's living up to expectations. 

I can't believe I'm saying this, but if I had to buy a car right now, this would be way way way up there on the list.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 06:56:13 pm by Mattesa »