Author Topic: Hyundai Genesis Coupe First Drive  (Read 37176 times)

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
Re: Hyundai Genesis Coupe First Drive
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2009, 09:35:26 am »
This car is awesome in the flesh!
....just don't let me BUY THAT one................. :P
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2009, 10:02:42 am »
from the pics you posted Bob the Camaro has the fuglyiest interior that I have seen in years( worse than that Lincoln pic) ... but maybe that what appeals to Camaro buyers
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2009, 06:25:45 pm »
I think people will compare Camaro/Cobalt SS (among many others) with the Genesis Coupe. But there's really no comparison.

The Genesis Coupe is absolutely fantastic. Looks better than the Infiniti G37 Coupe for $20,000 less! While I couldn't get inside, through the window the interior materials, layout, etc exceeded my expectations and appeared richer than the online photos I'd seen suggested.

Higher V6 pricing in Canada relative to the US or not, this is a steal of a deal. And being Hyundai, the low price and 0% will be hard to beat. It's really quite something, and do expect lots of demand if the performance meets the styling and specs!
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2009, 07:44:57 pm »
Good to hear! However I doubt there will be 0% financing, based on what exists for other models now, like the Genesis Sedan.

http://www.hyundaicanada.com/Pages/SpecialOffer/SalesPromotions.aspx

Maybe after a while they will need to do something to offset that V6 price, like Honda just did with the V6 Accord Coupe ($ 3.5k off).

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2009, 09:40:40 am »
People focus too much on reading the specs, there is more to cars than that.

Thank goodness...the voice of reason.

...Looks better than the Infiniti G37 Coupe for $20,000 less! While I couldn't get inside, through the window the interior materials, layout, etc exceeded my expectations and appeared richer than the online photos I'd seen suggested.

Rrocket and I sat in one in Detroit.  The coupe struck me as being much cheaper feeling than the sedan.  My impression is that comparing the interior with the G was silly.

Kajun78

« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2009, 08:06:26 am »
Doug after seeing both in the flesh I don't think people will realistically cross shop the camaro and genesis coupe. Even though the spec sheets are similar the demographics are very different. People focus too much on reading the specs, there is more to cars than that.

Maybe you're right and I am the crazy one. When I bought my new car, I literally sat in fornt of my computer and looked for EVERY car I could afford. Seeing as my budget was pretty small that didn't take too long. I then proceeded to look for the cars that best matched what I wanted. The weird thing was I ended up with a list that included small SUVs, a Minivan, and few small wagons/hatchbacks. They were competitors because my budget made them so. Maybe I'm the only one that shops that way!

To me, a Genesis and Camaro ARE the same. They are both sporty coupes. However, for everyone like me I'm sure that there are those who think that the Camaro is for white trash, and others who would think the Genesis is for those who wished they could buy a 370Z and couldn't afford it.

It'll be interesting to see how it sells!

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2009, 10:47:08 pm »
Something about the interior just puts me off, maybe its just the photos but it doesn't look up to the standards of its more prestigious competitors.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2009, 10:53:41 pm »
Something about the interior just puts me off, maybe its just the photos but it doesn't look up to the standards of its more prestigious competitors.

Should it when it undercuts them on price by $15,000+ ????
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Mitlov

« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2009, 11:00:06 pm »
Doug after seeing both in the flesh I don't think people will realistically cross shop the camaro and genesis coupe. Even though the spec sheets are similar the demographics are very different. People focus too much on reading the specs, there is more to cars than that.

Maybe you're right and I am the crazy one. When I bought my new car, I literally sat in fornt of my computer and looked for EVERY car I could afford. Seeing as my budget was pretty small that didn't take too long. I then proceeded to look for the cars that best matched what I wanted. The weird thing was I ended up with a list that included small SUVs, a Minivan, and few small wagons/hatchbacks. They were competitors because my budget made them so. Maybe I'm the only one that shops that way!

To me, a Genesis and Camaro ARE the same. They are both sporty coupes. However, for everyone like me I'm sure that there are those who think that the Camaro is for white trash, and others who would think the Genesis is for those who wished they could buy a 370Z and couldn't afford it.

It'll be interesting to see how it sells!

If I didn't have a kid, I'd cross-shop them.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 17, 2009, 11:20:00 pm »

Should it when it undercuts them on price by $15,000+ ????

Well the Genesis Sedan pulls it off. :P

Maybe its the styling or something but the new Accord looks nicer inside (from pics anyways, but the Accord interior is very nice, and imho).

Mitlov

« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2009, 11:24:23 pm »
Well the Genesis Sedan pulls it off. :P

Maybe its the styling or something but the new Accord looks nicer inside (from pics anyways, but the Accord interior is very nice, and imho).

I much prefer the Genesis Coupe's interior to the Accord Coupe's.  To me, the Genesis is simple and functional; the Accord looks painfully overstyled.

EDIT:  I just realized that the Accord interior is starting to grow on me.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 11:28:24 pm by Mitlov »

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2009, 11:35:08 pm »
Have you sat inside the new Accord? Material quality is pleasing.

The design of the Genesis Coupe interior seems fine, but for me leans a bit towards the "cheap and cheerful" side. Which is a shame.

However I will admit that it looks and likely is miles and miles ahead of the 1st gen G35.

Who knows, it might grow on me. I'm going to drop by the Hyundai place when they hit showrooms.

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2009, 07:18:13 am »
I'm sort of like Mitlov on this one. This Genesis coupe is surprisingly starting to get me looking at the Accord Coupe again, especially after seeing the two interiors.  :-\ Now admittedly a big part of that is the Accord V6 just had $ 3,500- factory cash put on the hood, while the Genesis V6 is overpriced by $ 2,375- (common sense calculation - adding the US to Cdn. % difference for the base 2.0T version, on top of the comparable model US V6 - the Grand touring model). All this makes the Accord EX-L V6 a grand cheaper right now.

If my car for sale in the Classified section HERE doesn't sell soon, I may test the waters at Honda.  ??? I might get a better trade in value there anyway and save some money, being the same make.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2009, 07:23:01 am »
Why are you comparing to the US, you don't live in the US.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2009, 07:38:38 am »

Because its the same car which comes in two different (non-track) versions here, and what should be paid for the Canadian V6 model vs. how Hyundai Canada priced it. Not sure my "logic" is right though!  ::) ???

US Pricing:    2.0T US$ 22k, Cdn. Pricing: 2.0T Cdn. $ 24.5k. 11.36% higher (bargain!)
US V6 Grand Touring (same as the Cdn. base V6 model) $ 27.5k, plus 11.36% = $ 30,625- Hyundai wants $ 33k. Difference, $ 2,375-.

Kajun78

« Reply #75 on: February 18, 2009, 07:51:19 am »

Because its the same car which comes in two different (non-track) versions here, and what should be paid for the Canadian V6 model vs. how Hyundai Canada priced it. Not sure my "logic" is right though!  ::) ???

US Pricing:    2.0T US$ 22k, Cdn. Pricing: 2.0T Cdn. $ 24.5k. 11.36% higher (bargain!)
US V6 Grand Touring (same as the Cdn. base V6 model) $ 27.5k, plus 11.36% = $ 30,625- Hyundai wants $ 33k. Difference, $ 2,375-.

Agree with you %100 Doug - I hate seeing vastly different pricing structures between us and the States.

In the past, the excuse would be that the added content of the Canadian vehicles made it worth more. That said, I never liked the idea of paying thousands more in exchange for a block heater being standard equipment.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 18, 2009, 07:56:33 am »
the added content of the Canadian vehicles made it worth more

:rofl:

On the other hand, $27.5k * 1.25 being where the exchange rate has floated lately = $34,375. Which is more than Hyundai Canada wants. So assuming there weren't all these anti-free-trade transaction costs to buying cross border cars the way to go for a US buyer right now would be to buy both models in Canada.

We're not at parity any more. Whats to complain about?

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #77 on: February 18, 2009, 08:00:53 am »

Maybe Hyundai wants to push the 2.0T model? You could see it as a great incentive on the 2.0T instead of the V6 being overpriced.

Flip this completely and you could imagine some americans being pissed off at Hyundai for charging them more for their 2.0T vs the V6 versus what we'll pay for one here in Canada.

You have to compare prices against how much other cars go for here in Canada. That's the only way it makes sense.

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 18, 2009, 08:16:18 am »

Maybe Hyundai wants to push the 2.0T model? You could see it as a great incentive on the 2.0T instead of the V6 being overpriced.

Flip this completely and you could imagine some americans being pissed off at Hyundai for charging them more for their 2.0T vs the V6 versus what we'll pay for one here in Canada.

You have to compare prices against how much other cars go for here in Canada. That's the only way it makes sense.

Very true and well said. However that doesn't get me a lower V6 price!  ;D  And on principal, it bugs me to see "what's the most the traffic will bear" pricing approach (if someone else holds out for more, me too!). Reminds me too much of the pricing of gas which is a Canadian "institution".... Another possibility is they don't plan on making and importing many V6 models here, so might as well go for more margins.

Maybe after a few months, they will discount the V6 (only).

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #79 on: February 18, 2009, 09:05:38 am »
FWIW I expected the V6 to be $30k based on US pricing as well.  IMO they blew it on that one.  But we'll see.  Canadians typically buy the lower models anyways.