Author Topic: Hyundai Genesis Coupe First Drive  (Read 37161 times)

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
Re: Hyundai Genesis Coupe First Drive
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2009, 09:32:47 pm »
Dude this is gonna be big, I tell ya!!!

My SO and I saw a silver Genesis today, guess what she thought it is... a Merc!

The Genesis Sedan, particularly in black, has a VERY S-Class look about it.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Kajun78

« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2009, 10:04:33 am »
Hyundai: The only problem is Perception.

I think that they have done an amazing job with the coupe, but I really don't understand what their goal is.

Whether it's Mazda's Zoom Zoom approach or Cadiallac's Art and Science I really thought that most car builders knew that having an identity is important. If you removed badges I'd know that a BMW is a BMW. Likewise, Cadillacs, Hondas, and even Fords have styling cues that let you know what they are.

This Coupe looks great, but does it look more special than a Mustang? A Civic Si? A GTI? The V6 model costs the same as a Dodge Challenger R/T! Yes, a Genesis Coupe V6 vs. Challenger R/T comparison is a bit silly, but they both serve to be standard bearers for the companies (Viper notwithstanding).

It looks like it will be a great car. But it should have made a statement about Hyundai too. Hyundai's big problem may be perception, but it is also a lack of identity that will continue to exist so long as they stick with designs that borrow so heavily from others. But hey, maybe that is on purpose. Perhaps they will be content with building a great car with "safe" styling - it is better than crappy cars with great styling, just ask Alfa Romeo.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 11:04:23 am by Kajun78 »

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2009, 10:59:42 am »
Alfa Romeo are fantastic cars!

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2009, 11:05:52 am »

I think that they have done an amazing job with the coupe, but I really don't understand what their goal is.

Whether it's Mazda's Zoom Zoom approach or Cadiallac's Art and Science I really thought that most car builders new that having an identity is important. If you removed badges I'd know that a BMW is a BMW. Likewise, Cadillacs, Hondas, and even Fords have styling cues that let you know what they are.

This Coupe looks great, but does it look more special than a Mustang? A Civic Si? A GTI? The V6 model costs the same as a Dodge Challenger R/T! Yes, a Genesis Coupe V6 vs. Challenger R/T comparison is a bit silly, but they both serve to be standard bearers for the companies (Viper notwithstanding).

It looks like it will be a great car. But it should have made a statement about Hyundai too. Hyundai's big problem may be perception, but it is also a lack of identity that will continue to exist so long as they stick with designs that borrow so heavily from others. But hey, maybe that is on purpose. Perhaps they will be content with building a great car with "safe" styling - it is better than crappy cars with great styling, just ask Alfa Romeo.

First you immitate, then you innovate.

Hyundai is inching towards the 'innovate' part with every new vehicle they release. Give them a few more years...

Kajun78

« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2009, 11:11:01 am »

Whether it's Mazda's Zoom Zoom approach or Cadiallac's Art and Science I really thought that most car builders new that having an identity is important. If you removed badges I'd know that a BMW is a BMW. Likewise, Cadillacs, Hondas, and even Fords have styling cues that let you know what they are.

First you immitate, then you innovate.

Hyundai is inching towards the 'innovate' part with every new vehicle they release. Give them a few more years...

Maybe it is just a little bit of disappointment on my part? I thought that they had reached a place where they could make that leap into "innovate".

The current Sonata and Sante Fe were, to me, indicators that they could build a really good car. In fact, their current lineup does not have a single lemon in the bunch. I really expected that they would push the envelope with this car.

As you say, maybe in a couple more years...

Mitlov

« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2009, 11:17:53 am »

Whether it's Mazda's Zoom Zoom approach or Cadiallac's Art and Science I really thought that most car builders knew that having an identity is important. If you removed badges I'd know that a BMW is a BMW. Likewise, Cadillacs, Hondas, and even Fords have styling cues that let you know what they are.

Every other four-seat RWD non-luxury sport coupe on the market has American retro looks (Mustang, Camaro, Challenger).  This has a modern, athletic look, more suited to the Playstation 3 crowd than the "I fly a POW-MIA flag" crowd.  That, in itself, makes it pretty unique, even if the modern-and-sporty aesthetic it has is a little generic.

As for the comparison to the Challenger R/T, this will be a bit slower in a straight line (but not as much as the 70-hp difference would make you think, thanks to weight) but should demolish the Challenger on a twisty road or racecourse.  The Challenger has more room and a very different attitude, but I think it's entirely fair to price it directly against a Challenger R/T.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 11:20:32 am by Mitlov »

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2009, 11:28:27 am »
Why would one price this against a Challenger?    Rather than careful positioning on the graph that shows Miata, 370Z, 328 coupe Rx8 and Cayman. I left out the S2000 if it is gone this year.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2009, 11:44:50 am »
Sat in the Genesis sedan the other say.  materials impressed me, and I dunno what that guy was talking about cheap fake wood trim..    they may be faux ;) , but they sure looked better than real wood trim in old American sedan. (no flaming here, just making observation.  makes currently escape me, but it was either impala or crown vic.)  Fit and Finish, on the other hand...  the floor model was loaded top of the line, and cup holder cover didn't really line up with console..  that put me off a bit. 

Size, also surprised me a bit..  back seat was smaller than I was led to believe.  front seat was too big for me, but back seat was very very comfortable.  However, I can't say it was as large and airy as S-class..  Wasn't this car supposed to be on par, size-wise, to S-class and lexi LS?

oh..  never sat it Genesis Coupe.. but I'm very excited..  I might actually buy one in the future. :)  .. if by then wife gives me OK. ;)

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Kajun78

« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2009, 11:46:59 am »
I think that Challenger vs. Genesis Coupe is a fairer comparison than taking the Hyundai against the best British sportscar the Japanese ever made (Miata), a luxury coupe (328i), and a couple of two seat sports cars that cost thousands more (370z and Cayman). I mean, the Porsche costs $46,600!

Now the RX-8 brings up a VERY interesting proposition, it too is more expensive but it shares the 4-seat configuration. The RX-8 is a great example of what I expected from the Genesis Coupe. Not the rotary engine, but rather the sense of uniqueness that flows through the car. Everywhere you look there is a reminder - sometimes subtle - that you are driving something different, something special, and something very very Mazda.

I can say the same things about the Challenger, Mustang, and the upcoming Camaro. Actually, every other car that I have mentioned so far - except the Genesis - has cues that set it apart from the competition.

Sports coupes are, to me, as much an emotional thing as a numbers game. I'm sure the Genesis coupe will be a great car, I just wish they had been just a little braver.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2009, 11:51:21 am »
Genesis is on par with E-Class and 5-Series not S-Class

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2009, 12:04:11 pm »
I can say the same things about the Challenger, Mustang, and the upcoming Camaro. Actually, every other car that I have mentioned so far - except the Genesis - has cues that set it apart from the competition.

Sports coupes are, to me, as much an emotional thing as a numbers game. I'm sure the Genesis coupe will be a great car, I just wish they had been just a little braver.

I respectfully disagree.  All the cars you mentioned, they have something they can look back and take hint from..  save, maybe Mazda RX-8.  Genesis is brand spanking new.  First attempt at Front engine, rear drive coupe.

I agree somewhat, that design is derivative.  but there are very unique elements, such as the headlamps, dip in the belt line and very very good proportion..   

You have to admit, that there are limited areas that they can deviate from the norm.   if you go blocky, it either looks like classic american or new fangled japanese.  if you go too svelte, one may argue it looks like italian or, again, japanese. .. 

However, I will concede about "identity" thing.  I hoped they would incorporate something unique, that could represent the marque.  but i look forward to progress for the next model.

Wing, thanks for correction.  maybe i was mistaken.

well, ..  i hope next version looks even better

Kajun78

« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2009, 01:05:46 pm »

I respectfully disagree.  All the cars you mentioned, they have something they can look back and take hint from..  save, maybe Mazda RX-8.  Genesis is brand spanking new.  First attempt at Front engine, rear drive coupe.

I agree somewhat, that design is derivative.  but there are very unique elements, such as the headlamps, dip in the belt line and very very good proportion..   

You have to admit, that there are limited areas that they can deviate from the norm.   if you go blocky, it either looks like classic american or new fangled japanese.  if you go too svelte, one may argue it looks like italian or, again, japanese. .. 

However, I will concede about "identity" thing.  I hoped they would incorporate something unique, that could represent the marque.  but i look forward to progress for the next model.

Wing, thanks for correction.  maybe i was mistaken.

well, ..  i hope next version looks even better

I think I'll have to disagree that we disagreed! They are limited to what that can do, but they needed to find something.

Oh, I had forgotten about another competitor - a BMW was mentioned before, but I forgot the 1-series. If you are uber-conservative with the options, a 128i is right there price wise.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2009, 01:21:52 pm »
Oh, I had forgotten about another competitor - a BMW was mentioned before, but I forgot the 1-series. If you are uber-conservative with the options, a 128i is right there price wise.

Oh, now you are just talking crazy. ;)

128 starts at $34k, genesis starts at $25k.  Advantage? Genesis Coupe!  ;)

Kajun78

« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2009, 01:33:41 pm »

Sorry, should have been more clear. I was talking about the V6 version of the car:

Genesis V6 Coupe - $32,995
BMW 128i - $33,900

The 4-cylinder will be the popular model, obviously.  I get the nagging feeling that driving a V6 powered Challenger would make me feel a little silly, as opposed to the 4-cylinder Genesis coupe which may end up being the enthusiast's choice.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2009, 01:38:20 pm »

Sorry, should have been more clear. I was talking about the V6 version of the car:

Genesis V6 Coupe - $32,995
BMW 128i - $33,900

The 4-cylinder will be the popular model, obviously.  I get the nagging feeling that driving a V6 powered Challenger would make me feel a little silly, as opposed to the 4-cylinder Genesis coupe which may end up being the enthusiast's choice.

Well, V6 coupe will output 300 HP so in essence, you have to compare it to 135.    Then it comes down to this again.
135 = $42k.
Genesis = $33k.   

...  I haven't driven V6 Genesis...  or I4, for that matter, either, and even though I think 135 is fair bit of money, it's freaking worth it..   to paraphrase the popular TV personality... "the POWAAR".   I'm not sure V6 Genesis will be able to match that...
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 01:39:55 pm by aquadorhj »

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2009, 05:53:49 pm »
This car is awesome in the flesh!

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2009, 05:55:29 pm »

...  I haven't driven V6 Genesis...  or I4, for that matter, either, and even though I think 135 is fair bit of money, it's freaking worth it..   to paraphrase the popular TV personality... "the POWAAR".   I'm not sure V6 Genesis will be able to match that...

But on paper they're both 300hp. 135 is up 10lbft in torque I think but paying $1k / lbft is a bit much.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2009, 06:50:36 pm »
On paper, both might be equal at 300HP, when when you step on the gas, a Twin Turbo I6 is way more responsive than a V6.

Between the RX-8 and Genesis Coupe, my choice would be the Mazda.

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2009, 09:04:50 am »
There are numerous comparisons that can be made, and after the initial excitement over the 2.0T (only) price wears off, things don't look quite so special to me. 

While the 2.0T pricing makes an effective attention grabber, their mistake is in the V6 pricing here. Its obviously what they think the traffic will bear because of others' (my opinion) "predatory" pricing, not what the car should sell for.

US Pricing:    2.0T $ 22k, V6 $ 25k, V6 Grand Touring $ 27.5k
Cdn. Pricing: 2.0T $ 24.5k, V6 $ 33k <eek>

Here's another comparo. Genesis 3.8L V6 - 306 HP, 266 torque vs. Camaro 3.6L V6 - 300 HP, 273 torque, MSRP- $ 27k. That's $ 6k less folks. Now in fairness the Camaro weighs 400 lbs. more and although pricing details of options aren't known, it would probably take all the $ 6k difference to get the Camaro options equal. But still, shows how "unspecial" the V6 Genesis is after forgetting about the attention grabbing base 2.0T price. 

I think, in northern climates where RWD isn't as much of a draw to the average buyer, the Genesis V6 will steal some sales from Altima and Accord V6 coupes. I mean, why not, save (depending on the others' cash incentives) some $ and get comparable options and RWD. In terms of the 2.0T, its hard to tell how many up here will actually buy a first year car with visions of high performance that can't be obtained without voiding the warranty. I think that depends on if Hyundai has actually created a cult following because of the tuner modified cars for drifting etc. they are using for promotion. Will people actually buy because of that hype. And some of those kinds of buyers may have already bought a far superior performing sub 3,000 lb. 260 HP, 260 torque Cobalt SS with a warranty (if they believe GM will still be around) and pocketed $ 1k savings for spending money.

I really like the car however its not going to make me run out and immediately do something foolish.  ;D I'm going to wait to check it out thoroughly. Any idea when they will arrive at Cdn. dealers?   

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2009, 09:33:57 am »
Doug after seeing both in the flesh I don't think people will realistically cross shop the camaro and genesis coupe. Even though the spec sheets are similar the demographics are very different. People focus too much on reading the specs, there is more to cars than that.