Author Topic: Hyundai Genesis Coupe First Drive  (Read 37137 times)

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12389
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
Re: Hyundai Genesis Coupe First Drive
« Reply #120 on: March 06, 2009, 06:38:47 pm »
So a G37 drives resolutely better than the Genesis.  Makes me want to try a G37.  ;D

The G37 drives better than a Genesis is price is not an issue for you.  But it certainly doesn't drive 50% better than the Genesis if price is an issue for you.

Hyundai just did to Infiniti what Infiniti's spent the past few years doing to BMW.

I'd be more interested in how it stacks up against the new Z - which likely drives even better than the G37 and costs less to boot.  Yes, I know the Z doesn't have a back seat - but the padded cargo shelf in back of a G Coupe could only be described as a "seat" in the broadest terms, anyway. 

Had a good long peek at the Genesis Coupe at the autoshow and just could not warm to the overall look.  Unlike some cars, it presents better in photos than in real life, IMHO.  I'd walk around it slowly, thinking great--- good--- awkward --- not bad ---- pretty good ---- awfully bulbous---- it's like there was a real lack of cohesion somehow.  I dunno.  I'm just glad to see a new RWD sports coupe enter the market.  Dynamically, it sounds like they did a pretty terrific job.

My real hope is that Hyundai takes some of the sporting abilities of the Genesis Coupe and applies it to a sport version of the sedan, which is super nice, but just  a touch too soft for me.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline whistler

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 09, 2009, 09:24:24 pm »
I think the fact that the Genesis (sedan) challenges the luxury brands it's a matter of perception too. I sat in one, the V6 model, and it felt like a very well done mainstream vehicle, but nowhere near the feel of a BMW, Audi or Lexus. Not even Acura or Volvo.
I guess the fake plastic wood, the grain on the dash and door panels - same as on the lower end vehicles, the big, four-spoke steering wheel with the similar design as any other Hyundai had a major contribution. Sure, it comes with a lot of features standard, but the luxury features don’t make a luxury vehicle.
The exterior looked nice though and very well executed.

Really? I've found most recent BMWs and even Mercedes to be a major letdown interior wise... the Genesis really surprised me with the luxury feel.

Certainly much better than any mainstream car like a Maxima or Avalon.

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
« Reply #122 on: March 10, 2009, 04:49:43 pm »
I think the fact that the Genesis (sedan) challenges the luxury brands it's a matter of perception too. I sat in one, the V6 model, and it felt like a very well done mainstream vehicle, but nowhere near the feel of a BMW, Audi or Lexus. Not even Acura or Volvo.
I guess the fake plastic wood, the grain on the dash and door panels - same as on the lower end vehicles, the big, four-spoke steering wheel with the similar design as any other Hyundai had a major contribution. Sure, it comes with a lot of features standard, but the luxury features don’t make a luxury vehicle.

Really? I've found most recent BMWs and even Mercedes to be a major letdown interior wise... the Genesis really surprised me with the luxury feel.

:iagree:
I haven't sat in the Genesis but am not surprised by the comment above.  Here in North America we forget that BMWs and MBs are much more common in overseas markets like Europe.  Lots of BMW and Mercedes Benz taxis over there.  Personally, I think they're overrated status symbols over here in North America which is unfortunate because their inflated price often puts them out of reach of some of the very same people who could truly appreciate the driving experience.  People like us!   ;D

/Eric

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 11, 2009, 12:11:56 am »

Thank you...I thought I was crazy.  Other people told me I was crazy.  I sat in a few BMWs, Audis, and Mercedes at the auto show and I was very unimpressed with the interior.  For that much more money you'd think that they would be better than they are.

Don't get me wrong...I understand that they have good performance/handling/features above and beyond some other vehicles but better interiors would be nice.  Not worth the money in my mind.

I'd love to sit in a Genesis and see how that feels.  I sat in the refreshed Sonata and wow they have seriously taken that one a step up from the way it was earlier in the same generation.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 11, 2009, 12:15:48 am »
Saw a blue Genesis on display in the Mall today, looks very fresh and attractive. However, with me, the shape of the does not have that 'love connection feel' at first sight, like the RX-7, RX-8, M3, Z4, ...

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #125 on: March 11, 2009, 06:14:17 am »

:iagree:
I haven't sat in the Genesis but am not surprised by the comment above.  Here in North America we forget that BMWs and MBs are much more common in overseas markets like Europe.  Lots of BMW and Mercedes Benz taxis over there.  Personally, I think they're overrated status symbols over here in North America which is unfortunate because their inflated price often puts them out of reach of some of the very same people who could truly appreciate the driving experience.  People like us!   ;D

/Eric

I like the minimalist interiors of German cars myself.  Nowadays tho' they seem to be into the far too many knobs and buttons thing.   I winced when I sat in a M-B C300 for the shiny bits everywhere.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #126 on: March 11, 2009, 09:46:55 pm »
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 11, 2009, 10:21:49 pm »
Hmmm...no real mention of a bad interior.... ???
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #128 on: March 11, 2009, 10:23:29 pm »
Hmmm...no real mention of a bad interior.... ???

Yup, I noticed that too.
Perhaps these guys care more about how it drives than the quality of the plastic?

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 11, 2009, 10:25:00 pm »
Edmunds never mentioned it either....

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #130 on: March 13, 2009, 12:32:19 am »
^^  V6 or 4 banger turbo for you??

The faster one  :)  My problem is I have a quick AWD car and once you have driven one you will never go back.
Would you not prefer a modded turbo to a V6?

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 13, 2009, 07:13:45 am »

The faster one  :)  My problem is I have a quick AWD car and once you have driven one you will never go back.
I've always liked naturally aspirated performance.  Turbos and superchargers seem inelegant to me.  I know they are high tech and a lot of manufactureres embrace the technology but still....

/Eric

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #132 on: March 13, 2009, 07:35:35 am »

Yes, I like the weight savings of a turbo 4 vs. a NA V6. Unlike Erik elegance is not an important factor in a sub $50k performance car.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #133 on: March 13, 2009, 02:58:12 pm »
Change pulley -- go faster.  that's elegance ;)

Offline G0dspd

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
  • Vroum Vroum
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 14, 2009, 01:06:17 am »
InsideLine retests V6 Genesis Coupe after lackluster numbers

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/03/13/insideline-retests-v6-genesis-coupe-after-lackluster-numbers/

I especially like their definition of slow.  ::)
"Can we make this quick? I have to give a banana to Annie's Boobs."

Offline Iso Octane

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +0/-3
  • to the beat of the different drum
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 14, 2009, 10:12:43 am »

Thank you...I thought I was crazy.  Other people told me I was crazy.  I sat in a few BMWs, Audis, and Mercedes at the auto show and I was very unimpressed with the interior.  For that much more money you'd think that they would be better than they are.

Don't get me wrong...I understand that they have good performance/handling/features above and beyond some other vehicles but better interiors would be nice.  Not worth the money in my mind.

I agree.  I think the look of the 3-Series interior is terribly bland, with a few cheap touches thrown in for good measure (rectangularish grey cut-out housings for the radio and HVAC to be specific).

My theory on this is that the Lexus, Infinitis, and Acuras have to go completely over-the-top to convey a sense of luxury.  Lexus and Infiniti is doing just fine with this, but Acura interiors have become so tacky.

Offline Iso Octane

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +0/-3
  • to the beat of the different drum
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 14, 2009, 10:32:00 am »
http://www.hyundaicanada.com/Pages/showroom/showroom.aspx?model=Genesis%20Coupe

So it starts at $24,495.

That's a 210hp RWD car with 18" wheeeeeels.

We've come a long way baby.

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 14, 2009, 10:36:10 am »
I agree.  I think the look of the 3-Series interior is terribly bland, with a few cheap touches thrown in for good measure (rectangularish grey cut-out housings for the radio and HVAC to be specific).

My theory on this is that the Lexus, Infinitis, and Acuras have to go completely over-the-top to convey a sense of luxury.  Lexus and Infiniti is doing just fine with this, but Acura interiors have become so tacky.
You mean you don't like the Jimmy Neutron dashboards?  Not to mention the polarizing new "face" that the TL comes with.

Seriously, a well wrought interior, tastefully done in quality materials and with surfaces that are pleasing to the touch everywhere your hands fall is what most people look for.  Unfortunately, the styling language has become very busy of late.  A simple, driver-centric interior like that on the Genesis coupe is great to see.  It's got nice, flowing curves and seems quite cohesive.  I'm not a big fan of its face, agreeing with a previous poster who opined that it looks like some previous design efforts of Hyundai.  At least no one will find it objectionable.  I wished that they had pushed the envelope a bit more with the exterior design in general, though.  I think its rear 3/4 view is the nicest angle.

/Eric
Edit:  Added pic of interior from Hyundai Canada website
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 10:38:59 am by Angry Chicken »

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 14, 2009, 11:17:43 am »
Agreed Angry Chicken.  The Genesis Coupe interior looks quite nice and seems to be a good blend of things.  Not too many buttons ...but enough.

I actually like the exterior as well...I know some aren't feeling it yet but I like the angles on the headlights, taillights, and along the sides.  The nose I'm just alright on...and the funny little dip on the window at the back doesn't quite have the right angle...but its close.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #139 on: March 14, 2009, 02:24:53 pm »
This car is definitely very colour specific, gun metal grey, black and white all look good. Red, silver and other colours make it look a bit cheap and shapeless.