Author Topic: Tassimo by Bosch Review  (Read 14838 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
Tassimo by Bosch Review
« on: January 06, 2009, 05:18:29 am »
I've had one of the original Braun Tassimo that were originally introduced in 2005 or so.  Despite a few minor annoyances, this is a great single serve coffee machine.  With 40+ different drinks available  plus the ability to froth and steam milk for a Latte or Cappuccino this is a cool gadget.  All of this in 60 seconds or so with no clean up.  While this is no substitute for roasting and grinding your own beans, this unit makes a pretty good cup of coffee.  Did I mention it only takes about 60 seconds?  :)

Recently, the unit was redesigned by Bosch.  Pretty cool that a coffee machine undergoes a design change after only a few years on the market.  Anyways..I HAD to have a new one after enjoying the old one so much.  So I bought one and here's my mini-review.

It's quite a bit more compact and leaner than the outgoing model.  The counter footprint is much smaller.  The overall style is also much cleaner...less bulbous.  I like!  The water reservoir in the back is also square this time around (old one was a cylinder) and has a nice grab handle so it's easy to carry once full.  Mine does NOT have a water filter, since I have filtered water in the kitchen anyways.  And besides it's $50 more for the version with a filter..and the filters themselves cost around $10 USD.  So I skipped the filtered version.  Also tucked in the back behind the water reservoir is a neat pocket for storing the Cleaning/Descaling T-Disc. Nice touch.

At the front of the machine, the cup holder is different.  It has a nice thumb slide for ratcheting up the cup height.  And better still, the cup riser removes completely so you can get tall travel mugs in there.  This is great since it was not possible with the last model.  The same single button control is there from the old one, but now has different colour LEDs around it to tell you the status.  Again...just a sleeker, cleaner design.  Modern.

Brewing...is MUCH faster than the old one, and the old one was pretty quick.  The old one would pre-heat the water then brew.  The new one is instant.  It must have a clever compact version of a tankless water heater in it.  And quieter too!  The old one was a bit loud...one of the things I didn't like.  It kinda chugga-chugga-chugged as it brewed.  Not REALLY loud..but louder than a coffee machine should be.  This has been addressed with this new version.  It's really quiet.  You can just barely hear the pump on start-up, and after that you really only hear the coffee pouring into your glass.  Unless you are frothing milk...then you hear a quiet "whoosh".  Also gone is the little pool of water that used to collect in the over-flow at the bottom of the cup holder (if you own a Braun Tassimo, you know what I'm talking about).  It's bone dry now....another one of my complaints that has been addressed completely!

Overall I'm really VERY pleased with the new version.  It is better in every single regard. If it's as reliable as my old Braun (never a malfunction in the many hundreds of cups of coffee) then they will really have outdone themselves. 

Bosch really put alot of thought into this re-design and it shows.  It's nice to see the replacement is superior to the outgoing model.

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
Re: Tassimo by Bosch Review
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 07:08:30 am »
Hi i'm GLAMOUR RED..................can U come UP and Cappuccino me sometime..... :-*......right NOW is a GOOD TIME...................... ;)
Time is to stop everything happening at once

barrie1

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 10:58:17 pm »
My Coffee machine is the only one on the Market that actually brews the coffee at 195 degrees farenheit and can also handle well over 40 different types of coffee as well. It actually last months Consumers rating as being the best on the market this year and I only paid $69.00 for it on sale. Its the Cusinart chrome model and was listed for $80. or more depending on where you buy it. The Black and Decker $35.00 won for lower end priced machines as well. My Cuisinart does not grind the beans but my $17.95 Braun Coffee grinder does it instead if we buy them. Yours is a nice looking machine but I am too cheap to pay that much ever for a coffee maker. Has yours got a timer style  clock in it as we do find it handy many mornings when we get up quite early?  :)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 11:00:49 pm by barrie1 »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 11:06:36 pm »
My Coffee machine is the only one on the Market that actually brews the coffee at 195 degrees farenheit and can also handle well over 40 different types of coffee as well. It actually last months Consumers rating as being the best on the market this year and I only paid $69.00 for it on sale. Its the Cusinart chrome model and was listed for $80. or more depending on where you buy it. The Black and Decker $35.00 won for lower end priced machines as well. My Cuisinart does not grind the beans but my $17.95 Braun Coffee grinder does it instead if we buy them. Yours is a nice looking machine but I am too cheap to pay that much ever for a coffee maker. Has yours got a timer style  clock in it as we do find it handy many mornings when we get up quite early?  :)

Brew temp on mine is 192+ degrees....and it hits the cup at 170-175 degrees.  No need for a timer since it only takes 60 seconds start to finish.....

But yours is just a coffee machine, right?  It doesn't do cappuccino, lattes, espressos, etc...does it?  I'm not sure which machine is yours.  Cuisinart has a pretty extensive line...

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 08:58:57 am »
We have a Braun Tassimo at work.  It's okay, I've tried the espresso, capuccino, latte, various coffees and teas.

It's okay, but it's certainly not the same as a GOOD cup of coffee.  It's convenient for the office, though.

Have you done any searching on hacking the barcodes?  The barcode on the capsule tells the machine how hot to make the water, how much water to use, etc etc.  People have actually tried printing their own barcodes to mess around with the brewing details.
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 08:00:28 pm »
One of the problems with Tassimo is finding the different brands of coffee to use
The US website has a bigger selection

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 08:07:50 pm »
Most grocery stores have them.  Walmart too.

I've bought over here:

Starbucks (2 kinds)
Espresso
Cappuccino
Latte
Cafe Crema
Maxwell house (several)
Nabob (several)
Teas (almost all of them)

What the USA has is the "Euro" blends.  I want some.  I have a US addy, so I might just order some up.  Though reviews on the web say our milk discs tastes better....

barrie1

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 11:33:14 pm »
Yes mine is mainly the Coffee Maker machine. We don't do the other items in it at all. The timer was for starting it early in the morning so its ready when you are and not for the speed of it altho its is fast enough to fill a pot very quickly.  :)

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 12:05:27 pm »
..i avoid POT inna mornin'................................ ;D   wakey wakey it's the Basil Fawlty SHOW.......wink wink...nudge fudge   know what i mean..................... :P..sure beats a 15 minute line_up at the Local dealer Timmies................ :rofl:

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 02:30:46 pm »
What the USA has is the "Euro" blends.  I want some.  I have a US addy, so I might just order some up.  Though reviews on the web say our milk discs tastes better....

Milk discs?  ???

I hear the Soylent Corporation makes the best ones.  ;)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 03:23:26 pm »
so what did you do with your old machine?

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009, 04:46:52 pm »
...milked it DRY................... 8)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2009, 05:46:38 pm »
so what did you do with your old machine?

I still have it.  Was thinking of selling it...