Author Topic: Saw the new Challenger today  (Read 5268 times)

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
Re: Saw the new Challenger today
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2008, 11:47:04 pm »
I think barrie1 may be onto something.
There's a new "build your own Camaro" program at GM.

Here's link: http://jalopnik.com/5117896/gm-performance-parts-to-offer-7000-body+in+white-new-camaro

Basically, you get a shell body of Camaro for 7 grand, and you can practically option everything from lexan glass to 575 CID, or LS9 from ZR1.

I heard people saying, this is gonna be the first GM car that won't rattle....
because it won't have one. ;)

These 'body in white' cars do not come with a VIN and, therefore, cannot be street driven.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2008, 12:44:49 am »
^^^^Ok..that makes more sense.  Didn't think it would be possible for a 572 to pass emissions, crash testing, etc...

Heck...the fuel mileage from the 572 would bloat GMs entire CAFE numbers.......LOL...

But as a race car....yea, I can see it.  Ford is supposedly offering a track ready Mustang too.  IIRC same deal...no VIN.  They had done it also several years ago with the Cobra "R" track version. Supposedly they were only able to sell it to someone with a competition license.

Anyways...cool on GM for doing this.... :thumbup:
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

barrie1

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2008, 10:08:20 pm »
Yes they do pass emissions testing as they are mostly carborated and we have some running the streets of London here. these are crate engines the owners have installed themselves, NOT factory ordered cars and can also be pumped up to slightly over 900HP as well without too many extra parts put on them. Sure would hate to pay the fuel bill on one of them but what a load of fun a guy could have with one. The ones here and in St Thomas as well are not just Camaros as older Monte Carlo's and other body designs have been used as well.  :)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2008, 10:13:57 pm »
I'm doubtful a 572 engined car passes emissions.......Though if you leaned the jetting and used some good cats I supposed it's possible...

But if the car is older than 15 years....no need for emissions.  Is that what you meant??
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 10:22:21 pm by rrocket »

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2008, 09:42:53 am »
^^^^Ok..that makes more sense.  Didn't think it would be possible for a 572 to pass emissions, crash testing, etc...

Heck...the fuel mileage from the 572 would bloat GMs entire CAFE numbers.......LOL...

But as a race car....yea, I can see it.  Ford is supposedly offering a track ready Mustang too.  IIRC same deal...no VIN.  They had done it also several years ago with the Cobra "R" track version. Supposedly they were only able to sell it to someone with a competition license.

Anyways...cool on GM for doing this.... :thumbup:

You can buy Kenny Schrader's 1995 Mustang Cobra R, complete with 351 cu.in. for only $50k. Only 656 miles, never raced. Spent almost it's whole life in a museum. Turns out Kenny didn't really want to go road racing after all.

http://www.autabuy.com/Vehicles/Details.cfm?VID=280990&Year=1995&Make=FORD&Model=MUSTANG
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2008, 09:49:23 am »
.....?????????????
Time is to stop everything happening at once