Author Topic: Saw the new Challenger today  (Read 5273 times)

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
Saw the new Challenger today
« on: December 27, 2008, 01:43:53 pm »
Since the original post has been locked I'll start a discussion here.

Today I saw one for the first time up close and personal. It is big. Black with a grey stripe that ironically did not cover the gas door. Looked odd. It must have been a six because there was no marking indicating anything. No R/T badges, no SRT badges - nothing.

Like the tailight treatment and the hood scoop. Did I mention it is a big vehicle? Waaay bigger that the original, but then I guess since we are all bigger nowadays that it had to be. Mustang is smaller IIRC.

Mitlov

Re: Saw the new Challenger today
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 01:47:25 pm »
I saw one last week.  It was much less impressive in person than in pictures.  In pictures, it looks mean.  In person, it just looked...bloated.  Meh.  The new Camaro and Mustang are much more interesting to me now, and the Challenger no longer has any appeal (I used to think it was objectively the worst, but the coolest).

Offline CyberNick

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda 6 GT, 2007 Mazda 6 GT
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 02:16:42 pm »
I sat in one a couple of weeks ago. I kind of liked the "Pistol Grip" shifter.

barrie1

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 09:32:52 pm »
The Chrysler Dealer on Dundas East here in london has had a Orange one in for about a month now out front and it looks quite good. I haven't stopped in yet but do suspect its a Hemi powered one as the large Hood scoop may be the give-a-way on it. May also have the hemi badges but I will check it out to satisfy my curiousty. Yes it is larger then the originals for sure especially in width.  :)

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 09:35:35 pm »
I saw one last week.  It was much less impressive in person than in pictures.  In pictures, it looks mean.  In person, it just looked...bloated.  Meh.  The new Camaro and Mustang are much more interesting to me now, and the Challenger no longer has any appeal (I used to think it was objectively the worst, but the coolest).

I disagree entirely.  What colour were you looking at?  I think they're a bit of a let down in black, but in the bright orange that a muscle car should be anyway, they're just staggering good looking.

They are big, though...

Mitlov

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 09:37:17 pm »

I disagree entirely.  What colour were you looking at?  I think they're a bit of a let down in black, but in the bright orange that a muscle car should be anyway, they're just staggering good looking.

They are big, though...

Ironically, it was orange.

barrie1

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2008, 11:05:48 pm »
I have passed many of a truck load on the 401 heading towards Detroit from the Toronto area where they are built and I can honestly say many of them have been the Orange colour going bye for sure on the trucks. Probably going to be the Biggest seller I think in that colour.  :)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2008, 11:12:03 pm »
I want an orange R/T!!!!!

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2008, 11:27:34 pm »
The original Challenger was larger than either the Mustang or Camero of the day.  Much larger than the Cuda.  I was up close to a Challenger SRT and I don't think it's any larger than the original.  It's higher looking and the wheels are huge in comparison.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2008, 12:13:47 am »

My old man has been talking about getting an orange R/T, six speed.  Naturally, I've been pushing him to get the SRT.  :D

Would be a cool car to have in the garage, though.  Heh.

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2008, 06:57:51 am »

My old man has been talking about getting an orange R/T, six speed.  Naturally, I've been pushing him to get the SRT.  :D

Would be a cool car to have in the garage, though.  Heh.

The important question though is - would he give you visitation rites?

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2008, 09:05:19 am »
Here's a link that compares the dimensions of the old with the new (cursor down the right side), along with the history of the old models.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Challenger

Surprisingly, the old one is actually wider, however the new one is much taller. Also, the new one has a 6" longer wheelbase and overall length, which is significant. The old model weighed a surprisingly portly 3,600/3,800 lbs., depending on the version, but that's nothing compared to the new model which tips the scales at an outrageous 4,140 lbs. The current Mustang is much shorter, by a full 10", however the other dimensions although smaller, aren't by that much (+/- 3"). However its more than 650 lbs. lighter than the Challenger.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2008, 09:39:03 am »
Looks like thAT SHIFTER HAS 1MM CLEARANCE.......before ya trash yer knuckles on the dials..... :o

Is that  B'OBORANGE trying fer a "MERICAN ELISE?????? ::) :P.......a day wiffout, SUNSHINE eh!!! ;)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 09:41:25 am by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2008, 10:37:47 am »
Ha ha. An American Elise, that's what I'm gonna call it from now on!

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2008, 12:13:05 pm »
I do agree that the base version looks a little balnd. The R/T's and SRT's are pretty sweet.
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2008, 03:55:49 pm »
 ??? ::) "Didya LICK the paintwerk?????"...................... :lick: :lick: :lick: >:D may i suggest phosphorescent GREEN................ :hurl:....
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 05:44:34 pm by safristi »

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2008, 07:55:41 pm »
I'll take one of these, please.  Supercharged with 572 hp and 528 lb-ft.

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

barrie1

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2008, 10:27:33 pm »
With a New Camaro you could factory order a 572 CID engine with a lot more ponies then this I suspect from the Tonawana factory just outside of Buffalo. I imagine it would be a special order package and probably has been done already by a racing team somehwere. Throw a Turbo or supercharger on top of that and hang on for sure if you can. The Mustange is a nice car with a tremendous amount of power as well but the Camaro would probably beat it in the qt mile if equipped this way.  :)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2008, 10:34:06 pm »
^^^^You mean crate engine right?  The 572 is a GM-direct crate engine.  You're not actually saying you could have the 572 installed as it went down the line, are you?

$12,000 for that engine IIRC..... :o
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 10:36:53 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2008, 10:58:17 pm »
^^^^You mean crate engine right?  The 572 is a GM-direct crate engine.  You're not actually saying you could have the 572 installed as it went down the line, are you?

$12,000 for that engine IIRC..... :o

I think barrie1 may be onto something.
There's a new "build your own Camaro" program at GM.

Here's link: http://jalopnik.com/5117896/gm-performance-parts-to-offer-7000-body+in+white-new-camaro

Basically, you get a shell body of Camaro for 7 grand, and you can practically option everything from lexan glass to 575 CID, or LS9 from ZR1.

I heard people saying, this is gonna be the first GM car that won't rattle....
because it won't have one. ;)

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D