Author Topic: New Allure/LaCrosse  (Read 10292 times)

Mitlov

New Allure/LaCrosse
« on: December 23, 2008, 12:04:17 am »
...and it's got a new-CTS-quality interior.  Yum.

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2010-buick-lacrosse-spy-shots-ii/1046338/full/

The LaCrosse will aim at the U.S. premium mid-size buyers and be the first domestic entrant on GM's new global mid-size platform. While it can fit both four- and six-cylinder engines, the pick of the litter will probably be the all-new 3.0-liter direct-injection V6. To give it a serious chance as an import fighter, the LaCrosse will also receive features like a heads-up display and all-wheel-drive.

Sounds like it should give cars like the Lexus ES, the Nissan Maxima, and the Lincoln MKZ quite a run for their money.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
Re: New Allure/LaCrosse
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 12:09:02 am »
First they need to find a new name.

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 08:06:32 am »
Lexus and Lincon maybe. Maxima (4 door "sports car") doubt it.

It actually looks quite clean in the pics becuase the cladding hide that big ugly ass Buick grille.

It does have a nice interior and may be built quite well. It is probably an example of what is wrong with GM. You have a car with an interior like that why no make it a base Cadillac or a top of the line Chev. Why Buick? Why launch it under a brand who's target demogrphic is retired people..people who at this point aren't spending becuase of the uncertainty with their retirment funds?

Offline Thinking Out Loud

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '16 Suzuki M50 Boulevard + '19 Frontier Pro4X + 2015 Mustang EcoBoost 'vert + '09 Altima SL Coupe
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 08:10:43 am »
First they need to find a new name.

Regal Grand National T-Type. 

Time to do it 1980's old school.
Fortune favours the bold!

Mitlov

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 11:06:31 am »
Lexus and Lincon maybe. Maxima (4 door "sports car") doubt it.

This whole "4DSC" thing is pure marketing.  Anyone who wants a four-door sports car by Nissan in that price tag gets a G35.  The Maxima, while it has a taut chassis, is a gadget-laden near-luxury FWD sedan with a CVT as the only transmission.  It may be sharper than the Lexus ES and the like, but it's still the same overall category IMO.

Why Buick? Why launch it under a brand who's target demogrphic is retired people..people who at this point aren't spending becuase of the uncertainty with their retirment funds?

Buick didn't used to be an "old people only" brand.  That stigma only really set in a decade or so ago.  Remember the 1971 Riviera?  The 1987 Grand National GNX?  NOT old people cars. 

I think Buick is planning on moving away from the retirement set...it's certainly not their "target market" anymore.  The Buick Enclave isn't an old-people crossover.  The people I've seen driving it are middle-aged family people with children still at home.  I think the new Allure/LaCrosse is meant to cater to that same market.

Now if only they'd bring us the 2007 Riviera Concept with this sort of interior and on the mechanicals of the new Camaro, the transformation back away from a "retiree's brand" would be complete.

Offline Wetson

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +10/-3
  • Moi
    • View Profile
    • My real estate website
  • Cars: 2019 Acura TLX SH-AWD Elite, 2018 Audi S5 Cabriolet
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 11:27:12 am »
oooohhhh la la.  I like very much.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 11:33:27 am »
..enuf ta make me "lacrosse" moi fingers...........seeing as it's MY MONEY (Taxes) that's giving them 3 months grace.$$$$............................wots that lil PAD on top of the Guages............a heating pad fer olde tired fingers?..or a spot fer Officer PLOD to write tickets..... ;) :D....

Nice effort may there be many more..................BADGES...we don't need no stinkin' Ponty Buick etc BADGES.............call it a GMTS....... :P
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Honda Owner

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 11:37:04 am »
I think Buick is planning on moving away from the retirement set..

I am not sure how good an idea that is. GM did the same thing with Oldsmobile and ending up losing what was at one time their most profitable brand. Selling a good, near luxury car in the $30,000 range would be a good move for this car but it is not, in my opinion, going to play in the $40,000 range that Lexus and Infinity play in.

I also highly doubt GM is going to take much away from Lexus and Infiniti. It is a different demographic. These brands, especially Lexus, have cachet and Buick doesn't.

A little anecdote about demographics: When I worked at GM, 99% of our customers were Caucasian. Very few had post secondary education, many smoked and more than 50% did not use the internet. Many, many were on their last vehicle.

Compare that to the demographic of the city of Vancouver. Over 50% Asian, over 60% post secondary degree, average family income over $80,000.  Fifteen percent are over $100,000. People here do not drive Buicks and they are not going to, either.

Mitlov

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 11:42:28 am »
I think Buick is planning on moving away from the retirement set..

I am not sure how good an idea that is. GM did the same thing with Oldsmobile and ending up losing what was at one time their most profitable brand. Selling a good, near luxury car in the $30,000 range would be a good move for this car but it is not, in my opinion, going to play in the $40,000 range that Lexus and Infinity play in.

I also highly doubt GM is going to take much away from Lexus and Infiniti. It is a different demographic. These brands, especially Lexus, have cachet and Buick doesn't.

A little anecdote about demographics: When I worked at GM, 99% of our customers were Caucasian. Very few had post secondary education, many smoked and more than 50% did not use the internet. Many, many were on their last vehicle.

Compare that to the demographic of the city of Vancouver. Over 50% Asian, over 60% post secondary degree, average family income over $80,000.  Fifteen percent are over $100,000. People here do not drive Buicks and they are not going to, either.

Before you say "only white people buy Buicks," you should remember that VW and Buick are the two best-selling brands in China, if I recall correctly. 

Honda Owner

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2008, 12:24:43 pm »
Before you say "only white people buy Buicks," you should remember that VW and Buick are the two best-selling brands in China, if I recall correctly. 

I was referring to the Canadian market, not China. Note I was quoting demographics for and area in Canada with a high Asian population. You are comparing apples and oranges.

In China, there are huge tax breaks for buying cars made in China. GM correctly got in early and has done very well in China.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2008, 12:31:09 pm »
Still, it does beg the question:  why do we need Buick?  I don't think there's much dispute that it's brand is appealing to an older, dying demo.  The recent products are great, but why not -- as suggested above -- make them either entry-level Cadillacs or higher end Chevys?  If they're going to use the same platform for a Chevy anyway (Traverse vs. Outlook vs. Enclave)  GM has shown more than a few times lately that it's capable of building world-class, competitive products (from trucks to luxury to sports cars), but I still fear they're spreading the quality to thinly across too many brands.  

I also tend to agree with not seeing a positive result in following Oldsmobile's goal of reaching a younger demo.  The Buick brand (like Oldsmobile) is now redundant -- at least in the western marketplace.  

Just imagine if all the resources poured into making different brands were poured into two or maybe three brands for GM?  

Chevrolet (good, all-round, every-man's cars and trucks, plus the Corvette -- which is nearly a sub-brand of its own anyway).

Cadillac (the luxury name-plate to use as a showcase of GM's absolute best efforts, performance and technology).  

Hmm... kind of reminds me of the successful Toyota / Lexus model -- except with the potential to build attractive and exciting cars.  :)
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Honda Owner

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2008, 12:57:01 pm »
Still, it does beg the question:  why do we need Buick?

I believe you are correct but the one thing I learned working at GM is that the status quo reigns supreme. I suspect the Obama administration my force changes but GM is not going to willing cut divisions. This kind of climb down would be impossible for Wagner and Lutz.

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2008, 03:00:50 pm »

Why Buick? Why launch it under a brand who's target demogrphic is retired people..people who at this point aren't spending becuase of the uncertainty with their retirment funds?

Buick didn't used to be an "old people only" brand.  That stigma only really set in a decade or so ago.  Remember the 1971 Riviera?  The 1987 Grand National GNX?  NOT old people cars. 

I think Buick is planning on moving away from the retirement set...it's certainly not their "target market" anymore.  The Buick Enclave isn't an old-people crossover.  The people I've seen driving it are middle-aged family people with children still at home.  I think the new Allure/LaCrosse is meant to cater to that same market.

So let me get this straight.

After a DECADE of establishing (intentional or not) a brand image of conservative relaible soft cars that appeal to the retirement crowd. Buick will use some of that bailout money that supposed to keep GM afloat to try to break into a different market (one that's already captured by Chev/Cadillac) ? They are going to break out of their old image and take share from a new market by competing against Chev and maybe cadillac who use a shared platform?

It simply makes no sense. Raather than trying to change Buicks image why not simply sell the vehicle under an existing brand that already competes in that market? I guess that makes too much sense and is too cost effective

barrie1

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2008, 09:25:58 pm »
Buick has always been classed as the poor mans Caddie and competed against the Olds lineup for top spot. With Olds gone now and Buick still here they should sell well as younger folks are not only looking at them but buying them as well. I see folks of all ages driving them all the time so they are not limited to the old codgers you may think. Besides they are still a very well built car for the money involved.  :)

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2008, 10:59:06 pm »

It will a tough road...no question about that.  However, I'm sure the same thing was being said about Lexus' LS400 in 1989 about thier assault on the Mercedes Benz S-Class.

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2008, 11:22:21 pm »

It will a tough road...no question about that.  However, I'm sure the same thing was being said about Lexus' LS400 in 1989 about thier assault on the Mercedes Benz S-Class.
:iagree:

Good post.
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Mitlov

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2008, 11:32:13 pm »
Could this be sold as a next-generation Cadillac BLS, a FWD car in a primarily RWD lineup?  Sure.  Mainly, I just think the car looks like a very nice addition to the GM lineup.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2008, 11:46:25 pm »
Did I mention that both names are ^SS.

What is wrong with those morons at GM to carry those names forward to a brand new model when the current/past model is/was such a TURKEY.  :P

Even "Wildcat" would be a major improvement.

Mitlov

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2008, 12:06:21 am »
Did I mention that both names are ^SS.

What is wrong with those morons at GM to carry those names forward to a brand new model when the current/past model is/was such a TURKEY.  :P

Even "Wildcat" would be a major improvement.

They didn't rename the new Malibu, and I'm seeing it all over the place.  I think you're putting too much emphasis on a name.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2008, 12:30:37 am »
Well I'm not seeing the Malibu all over the place.  Camry, being in it's 3 year and more expensive, still out sells Malibu 2.5:1.  But that's beside the point.  :)

However, you do bring up a good point in that the Malibu name plate is an oldie and easily identified.

When you gotta name a car two different names for essentially the same market you know that you got a DUD.  And that/those cars have been MASSIVE duds.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 12:32:12 am by articsteve »