Author Topic: EEStor is forREAL.US patent granted.Search for perfect energy storage maybe ovr.  (Read 1383 times)

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
Ok THIS kind of made my day  ;D (yeah, I'm that green)

"EEStor Ultracapacitor Patent will Revolutinize Electric Cars…Portable Electric Power in General

December 22, 2008 by admin

Last week EEStor was granted a US patent for their electric-energy storage unit, of which no one outside the company has seen so much as a working prototype. The patent (link here to the PDF) has some incredible information about the technology that has been promised by EEStor, but not clearly spelled out before.  These capacitors have some crazy individual unit specs! They are rated for 3500 V, weigh about 5 grams each and have 1 milli Farad. This is absolutely unbelievable in a world where you normally have to make a choice between high capacitance, high voltage, or small size, they seem to have all three.

The power output of the device is roughly 52 kWh, very close to the Tesla power, but at only one third of the weight. If they can bring it to market at the stated weight (130kg) it’ll makes things very interesting. The Tesla’s current battery pack weighs 450kg so you could triple its range, or cut the vehicles weight by 25%.

The claimed charging times are also pretty impressive  with 3-6 minutes charge time for 52 kWh - 286 lbs for that compared to 752 for a Li-Ion battery. And the Li-Ion takes 6h to charge. However you would need to be on three phase / 480 volts connection to achieve that sort of charge time.

EEStor notes “the present invention provides a unique lightweight electric-energy storage unit that has the capability to store ultrahigh amounts of energy.”

The core ingredient is an aluminum coated barium titanate powder immersed in a polyethylene terephthalate plastic matrix. The EESU is composed of 31,353 of these components arranged in parallel. It is said to have a total capacitance of 30.693 F and can hold 52.220 kWh of energy. The device is said to have a weight of 281.56 pound including the box and all hardware. Unlike lithium-ion cells, the technology is said not to degrade with cycling and thus has a functionally unlimited lifetime. It is mentioned the device cannot explode when being charge or impacted and is thus safe for vehicles.”

And when they say ultra-high amounts of energy they are not joking, 3500 V battery powered drills could soon be on our hardware store shelves."

http://www.pat2pdf.org/patents/pat7466536.pdf

http://www.dailyhybrid.com/2008/12/eestor-ultracapicitor-patent-will-revolutinize-electric-cars/

From the pdf file (pretty much self explanatory)
see picture:

Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
35 views of the thread and ONE of the picture (and that one was me  :rofl2: ) Must be bad timing, coz here EEStor /if everything checks out/ is claiming they are making history, having solved the energy storage issue for the EV. No more need for Biofuels, hydrogen, fuel cells or any other "nonsense". What say you?

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
My initial reaction is, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

But I'd love to be pleasantly surprised.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Bad timing indeed if you post in this thread after I have turned off the PC for the night.

I am quite prepared to believe in supercapacitators.   For one this size I think that the charger would have to definitely limit the charging amps and/or would be quite expensive for home use.

So what is needed now is the performance figures of the real thing at  -40, +50  AND what happens if a rescue worker with a fire axe shorts it out...
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Temperature should not affect capacitors in general and in that pdf they also say it is safe even in case of a collision. Question still remains if one can get a patent on something without a proof the thing works.. I hope not, as they are specific about the device's weight and other performance specs. On the other hand why no official press release on such a mile stone?