Author Topic: What you Buy or DIY show off thread  (Read 1745084 times)

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
Re: What you Buy or DIY show off thread
« Reply #8820 on: September 13, 2024, 07:31:56 pm »
You guys are crazy with these high end appliances.  I learned awhile ago going cheap and basic is the best way.  You can still get energy efficient, but they aren’t “pretty” or have Bluetooth and Wifi and god knows what other features.  Top load washer, range with a coil top, and eventually a fridge that is fully white and old school setup with fridge on bottom and freezer on top. 

All of our basic appliances over the years have vastly outlasted with fewer issues than any of our more higher end appliances.  Our stupid fridge leaks and it does not have water or ice function.  But it still works so just keep it going until it dies.
My buddy said the same thing.

Then his cheap dishwasher crapped out. And leaked all over his floor. And that caused his wood floor to swell.

And when he went downstairs, his ceiling had water damage.

Cost him many thousands to fix..but I'm sure he was glad he saved a few hundred by buying a cheap dishwasher. LOL [emoji38]

For the record, I like nice appliances too. Just not $4k+ nice appliances.
Good thing we replaced our old dishwasher with a beverage fridge.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #8821 on: September 13, 2024, 09:29:59 pm »
I *think* the one we have in the new house is a Frigidaire....very nice, seems robust, and a far superior cleaning job compared to others I've had. First house had an older GE, which leaked and I repaired a few times....including replacing a bunch of the supply lines with transmission cooler line (yes, probably not food grade, but you do what you've gotta do when you're young and trying to pay off a house). Replaced that one with a Whirlpool, that was 'ok' never had issues with it, but it didn't clean great no matter what I did.

The unit I use behind the trailer is an original Frigidare circa 2020.  I assume it was made in the USA.  I used it at my home for 10 years and then installed in cottage.  Gets frozen for the past 12 years.  Robust it is.  Uses a lot of water which is good.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #8822 on: September 13, 2024, 09:39:33 pm »
They ended up going with a Miele dishwasher like us....good stuff, but not cheap.

well I'm debating.  I can probably figure out how to fix mine. but I don't want to spend time swearing at that POS.  So maybe buy a cheap one but it will just be another POS (unless there's a good basic one which I doubt).

How much is the Miele?

This is the one we got

https://www.trailappliances.com/miele-9-cycle-dishwasher-with-front-controls-g7516sci-new?color=Stainless+Steel

$4K  ???

22 years ago I came to my senses and installed 2 dishwashers on either side of my kitchen sink on a new build.  Why just one?  Makes zero sense.  This current build I will be installing the same Whirlpools that I have in the old house.

https://www.costco.ca/whirlpool-24-in-built-in-dishwasher-with-tall-top-rack.product.100812693.html?preselect=colour%3awhite

$800 each.  Stainless interior, 3 racks.  Visible heating coil at the bottom.  Not the BS fan which was the death blow to Samsung's.  Generally, dishwashers have really held the line on pricing like no other.  Flat screens being one exception.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #8823 on: September 13, 2024, 11:16:30 pm »
^ That Costco WhirlPool is the same one I installed at our old place...I got mine from Canadian Appliance Source for around the same price. Generally liked it, but it didn't clean great, and the adjusters on the top rack broke, I ordered metal replacements. It also didn't have a 3rd rack - which now that we have one, is absolutely a must.
I've said it before, but I think the 2 dishwasher setup you run is genius. I hate putting away dishes and that seems like an ideal way to avoid doing so, lol. If I ever build a kitchen I am going to steal that idea.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8824 on: September 14, 2024, 01:30:53 pm »
 but I think the 2 dishwasher setup you run is genius. I hate putting away dishes and that seems like an ideal way to avoid doing so, lol. If I ever build a kitchen I am going to steal that idea.

Exactly, the second unit acts like a cupboard.  Then after a load finishes on the other it takes over that role.  With gatherings you can usually get all the dirty stuff in both units and you are done with it.  Do not understand why this isn't widespread particularly with the big shift to islands that contains sinks.

I employ white coloured kitchens.  I install white dishwashers like the one in the above pic. People don't notice them.  When they do they get animated.  One lady said she didn't think it was technically possible or allowed. 

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #8825 on: September 14, 2024, 02:09:11 pm »
Miele dishwashers are worth every penny, IMO. We’ve had two now, and they’re great. Wouldn’t buy anything else.

One thing though, if you want to save some money,  I’m fairly certain that the guts of every unit are the same. So whether you spend $1,500 or $5,000, you’re getting the same metal tub and pump, motor etc. The difference is just in the amount of soundproofing, number of programs, rack layout, fancy displays, etc.

Pretty sure the basic machine would last as long and clean as well as the most expensive one. Some do have features that are totally worth paying for though - the 3rd tray for cutlery is life changing.  :)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8826 on: September 14, 2024, 09:35:00 pm »
To sound proof any DW pack the sides and especially the underneath with Roxul.  DW's have no effective sound insulation under the motors.  Totally an aftermarket install.

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #8827 on: September 14, 2024, 11:56:16 pm »
You guys are crazy with these high end appliances.  I learned awhile ago going cheap and basic is the best way.  You can still get energy efficient, but they aren’t “pretty” or have Bluetooth and Wifi and god knows what other features.  Top load washer, range with a coil top, and eventually a fridge that is fully white and old school setup with fridge on bottom and freezer on top. 

All of our basic appliances over the years have vastly outlasted with fewer issues than any of our more higher end appliances.  Our stupid fridge leaks and it does not have water or ice function.  But it still works so just keep it going until it dies.

Then his cheap dishwasher crapped out. And leaked all over his floor. And that caused his wood floor to swell.

Cost him many thousands to fix..but I'm sure he was glad he saved a few hundred by buying a cheap dishwasher. LOL [emoji38]

Why people insist on having a wood floor in a kitchen is beyond me. Yet almost every friggin reno on HGTV has a wood floor put in kitchen. The floors are subject to spills and if an appliance leaks your screwed. There ceramic and porcelain floors that look just like wood so if you want that look there are options that can hold up to water spills.

My friend put wood in against my advice and his fridge leaked 1st year after reno. Floor was toast.
If you want more in life you have to make an effort.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #8828 on: September 15, 2024, 06:10:12 pm »
This afternoon's project. Painting the white columns black to match the new door & front windows. Before on the left.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #8829 on: September 15, 2024, 06:34:45 pm »
Looks great!

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #8830 on: September 15, 2024, 06:41:13 pm »

Why people insist on having a wood floor in a kitchen is beyond me. Yet almost every friggin reno on HGTV has a wood floor put in kitchen. The floors are subject to spills and if an appliance leaks your screwed. There ceramic and porcelain floors that look just like wood so if you want that look there are options that can hold up to water spills.

My friend put wood in against my advice and his fridge leaked 1st year after reno. Floor was toast.

Ceramic and porcelain are cold and hard. Wood floors are much warmer and easier on the feet/legs. And are quieter. Yes, enough water will damage them, but you can repair them. I’ll take a wood floor in my kitchen over tile any day.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8831 on: September 15, 2024, 06:48:07 pm »

Ceramic and porcelain are cold and hard. Wood floors are much warmer and easier on the feet/legs. And are quieter. Yes, enough water will damage them, but you can repair them. I’ll take a wood floor in my kitchen over tile any day.
Yeah, I'm the same, when we do ours we'll do hardwood. Just prefer the seamless look.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8832 on: September 15, 2024, 06:50:56 pm »
Looks great!
Thanks, next up is the garage door, it's old so I'm thinking to replace it with a new insulated one & then do the trim around the door in black.

Here's the whole look... black 997 in the garage to compliment the pic :rofl:

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #8833 on: September 15, 2024, 07:00:29 pm »
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +256/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #8834 on: September 15, 2024, 07:01:33 pm »
Love the look of the planters on either side of the chimney – it's a neat design. When was it built?

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8835 on: September 15, 2024, 07:09:27 pm »
Love the look of the planters on either side of the chimney – it's a neat design. When was it built?
Thanks. It was built in 1959.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #8836 on: September 15, 2024, 07:18:38 pm »
Right? I dig stuff like that too...when houses weren't cookie cutter affairs.

I like these unique things of these older houses.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2024, 10:25:51 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8837 on: September 15, 2024, 09:03:01 pm »
Right? I did stuff like that too...when houses weren't cookie cutter affairs.

I like these unique things of these older houses.
Funny you say that, house on the right side is the EXACT same model as ours. But then there isn't another one until about 15 houses up the street. They're scattered throughout the neighbourhood, but a little less common. When I moved in, the neighbour on the right side was the original owner, bought it brand new in 1959! Explained everything about the house to me, the builder, why he chose that model from that builder, was fascinating to hear.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8838 on: September 15, 2024, 09:14:33 pm »
Yep, that looks really good, goes to show that the right touches with landscaping, hardscaping, colors, etc can really make a house pop. That house is very similar to my grandmother's place in Etobicoke, hers has the entry door in the middle, but lots of house in her neighborhood with the setup you have....Hers was built (by my grandfather) in 1957, but he bought architectural plans that I am sure were in-line with whatever else was being built at the time.

I like the black accenting. Our old house in Mississauga, I did the same thing, painted the front door black, installed black shutters, blacked out the mail box, lamps, etc. Really looks great, as long as you don't overdo it.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #8839 on: September 15, 2024, 09:19:33 pm »
Nice work Gurgie.