Author Topic: What you Buy or DIY show off thread  (Read 1745091 times)

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 MDX; 2007 Tundra
Re: What you Buy or DIY show off thread
« Reply #8800 on: September 09, 2024, 02:21:50 pm »
^ Thanks.  I used an adhesive previously also, however a buddy picked it up from a concrete specialty store and I don't recall what it was.  But ya, the glue is the expensive part.  I sealed it afterwards also hoping that would help, but after two years it looks terrible again.  It was simply crappy concrete to begin with, and then moisture sits where the door seal meets the concrete, and eventually the aggregate and wet cement "pops" out in the winter when it freezes and you have a rough surface. 
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #8801 on: September 13, 2024, 12:11:35 pm »
Damn, I'm pretty sure the base element in our 3 year old range just quit working.  At first I thought it was the convection element, but after a little preliminary diagnostic, I'm convinced it's the lower element.  Which is good, because on our stove (Whirlpool/Maytag) the convection element needs to be replaced with the fan as a unit, and it's $300.  The bottom element is a paltry $75 by comparison.  I just need to do a little more diagnostic to confirm it actually is the element though, and not some other component.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #8802 on: September 13, 2024, 01:33:41 pm »
Damn, I'm pretty sure the base element in our 3 year old range just quit working.  At first I thought it was the convection element, but after a little preliminary diagnostic, I'm convinced it's the lower element.  Which is good, because on our stove (Whirlpool/Maytag) the convection element needs to be replaced with the fan as a unit, and it's $300.  The bottom element is a paltry $75 by comparison.  I just need to do a little more diagnostic to confirm it actually is the element though, and not some other component.

Why are modern appliances such garbage?!?!?! My parents 2 year old Samsung dishwasher broke so many times that they finally gave up on it, same with the fridge. Is there a brand of appliances that are actually decent?
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +8/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Ram 1500 Classic, 2014 Highlander Hybrid
« Reply #8803 on: September 13, 2024, 01:34:45 pm »

Why are modern appliances such garbage?!?!?! My parents 2 year old Samsung dishwasher broke so many times that they finally gave up on it, same with the fridge. Is there a brand of appliances that are actually decent?

Good timing,  My dishwasher is Sh!t too.  I need one.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8804 on: September 13, 2024, 01:39:17 pm »
They ended up going with a Miele dishwasher like us....good stuff, but not cheap.

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8805 on: September 13, 2024, 01:48:41 pm »
They ended up going with a Miele dishwasher like us....good stuff, but not cheap.

well I'm debating.  I can probably figure out how to fix mine. but I don't want to spend time swearing at that POS.  So maybe buy a cheap one but it will just be another POS (unless there's a good basic one which I doubt).

How much is the Miele?

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8806 on: September 13, 2024, 01:51:05 pm »

well I'm debating.  I can probably figure out how to fix mine. but I don't want to spend time swearing at that POS.  So maybe buy a cheap one but it will just be another POS (unless there's a good basic one which I doubt).

How much is the Miele?

This is the one we got

https://www.trailappliances.com/miele-9-cycle-dishwasher-with-front-controls-g7516sci-new?color=Stainless+Steel

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #8807 on: September 13, 2024, 02:43:12 pm »
Our basic Whirlpool dishwasher has been great for years now. Leaked once but it just needed a tighten on one pipe and I was impressed at how logically stuff was put together. The parents have a similar one and it's had no issues at all

Not like the stepdaughters Samsung, which is beautifully designed but has some really dumb construction choices that just fail, very FGC like

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #8808 on: September 13, 2024, 02:55:35 pm »

How much is the Miele?

This is the one we got

https://www.trailappliances.com/miele-9-cycle-dishwasher-with-front-controls-g7516sci-new?color=Stainless+Steel

I'm sure it's great and all, bug GD, that's a $4000 dishwasher.  I think ours was closer to $800.

Maybe one day when the kids are gone and the house is paid off, I'll be able to get some nicer appliances, but until then...  the cheap stuff it is. 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #8809 on: September 13, 2024, 03:06:07 pm »
Check out the Bosch 500 Series if you want quality at a (sorta) reasonable price.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8810 on: September 13, 2024, 03:59:03 pm »
yeah for 4K maybe washing dishes by hand is not too bad.

I'll check the Bosch one

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #8811 on: September 13, 2024, 04:30:24 pm »
I *think* the one we have in the new house is a Frigidaire....very nice, seems robust, and a far superior cleaning job compared to others I've had. First house had an older GE, which leaked and I repaired a few times....including replacing a bunch of the supply lines with transmission cooler line (yes, probably not food grade, but you do what you've gotta do when you're young and trying to pay off a house). Replaced that one with a Whirlpool, that was 'ok' never had issues with it, but it didn't clean great no matter what I did.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8812 on: September 13, 2024, 04:53:57 pm »
Next to cars, I think dishwashers are the most discussed item on this forum  :rofl2: .  Not pointing fingers, I'm just as guilty as anyone.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #8813 on: September 13, 2024, 05:07:32 pm »
You guys are crazy with these high end appliances.  I learned awhile ago going cheap and basic is the best way.  You can still get energy efficient, but they aren’t “pretty” or have Bluetooth and Wifi and god knows what other features.  Top load washer, range with a coil top, and eventually a fridge that is fully white and old school setup with fridge on bottom and freezer on top. 

All of our basic appliances over the years have vastly outlasted with fewer issues than any of our more higher end appliances.  Our stupid fridge leaks and it does not have water or ice function.  But it still works so just keep it going until it dies.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #8814 on: September 13, 2024, 05:11:51 pm »
I couldn't live without water and ice function in the fridge...But I generally agree, the fancier the appliance the less reliable it's going to be.

I still have the issue of a 40" gas stove, where nobody makes a 40" unit anymore....Fortunately it's been working OK, but it's like 17 years old and I am dreading the day I am going to have to do something about it.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8815 on: September 13, 2024, 05:14:43 pm »
You guys are crazy with these high end appliances.  I learned awhile ago going cheap and basic is the best way.  You can still get energy efficient, but they aren’t “pretty” or have Bluetooth and Wifi and god knows what other features.  Top load washer, range with a coil top, and eventually a fridge that is fully white and old school setup with fridge on bottom and freezer on top. 

All of our basic appliances over the years have vastly outlasted with fewer issues than any of our more higher end appliances.  Our stupid fridge leaks and it does not have water or ice function.  But it still works so just keep it going until it dies.

Same goes for cars; your basic 2 wheel drive low option vehicle will be the most reliable.  But sometimes we want more  :) .

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #8816 on: September 13, 2024, 05:28:07 pm »

Same goes for cars; your basic 2 wheel drive low option vehicle will be the most reliable.  But sometimes we want more  :) .
Sure, if expensive appliances give you joy, fill your boots.  I can still cook up a nice meal, wash our clothes, and keep milk from spoiling. 

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8817 on: September 13, 2024, 05:40:53 pm »

Sure, if expensive appliances give you joy, fill your boots.  I can still cook up a nice meal, wash our clothes, and keep milk from spoiling.

I can still drive from A to B in a Toyota Yaris.  I get it, I'd rather spend more money on a nice car also. 

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru WRX STI, 2022 Acura MDX (wifey's)
« Reply #8818 on: September 13, 2024, 06:06:00 pm »

I can still drive from A to B in a Toyota Yaris.  I get it, I'd rather spend more money on a nice car also.

It's almost like people have different preferences..  :rofl2:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #8819 on: September 13, 2024, 07:24:31 pm »

My buddy said the same thing.

Then his cheap dishwasher crapped out. And leaked all over his floor. And that caused his wood floor to swell.

And when he went downstairs, his ceiling had water damage.

Cost him many thousands to fix..but I'm sure he was glad he saved a few hundred by buying a cheap dishwasher. LOL [emoji38]

For the record, I like nice appliances too. Just not $4k+ nice appliances.