Author Topic: What you Buy or DIY show off thread  (Read 1783071 times)

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
Re: What you Buy or DIY show off thread
« Reply #8660 on: February 08, 2024, 09:53:57 pm »
Bought a new TV for the bonus room (rec room). 75" LG unit from Costco, on sale for $450, wild how cheap. Our 42" Panasonic Plasma, while still working great, was a little small for the space and viewing distance. Going to mount the plasma in the guest room.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7218
    • View Profile
« Reply #8661 on: February 08, 2024, 10:44:24 pm »
Having more competition with cell phone providers is a good thing. Fizz offers unlimited Canada + US calls, unlimited Canada + US texts and 4 Gb/mo for $27, if one skips voicemail, which I hardly use on the work phone. Data accumulates for up to 2 months, so 4 Gb is actually at a 12 Gb cap, and even that is Canada+US. Had to dig into their forums for a full understanding of how they work. While in the US, calls go through VoLTE, and other countries it's data only.

Choosing your own 4 last digits is a one-time $1 fee.

Travel packs for Europe are $10/1Gb and good for 30 days, which handily beats the cartel's $14-$16/day roaming. A pack or two should suffice for some Google Maps while abroad, and for less than a tourist sim card.

That's probably the package that I will take for the new phone. The monthly rate goes down to $23 IIRC by skipping the US option.
I hear ya.

I've read countless times that Canada's cost for internet and cell phone borders on criminal.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8662 on: February 08, 2024, 10:45:47 pm »
Bought a new TV for the bonus room (rec room). 75" LG unit from Costco, on sale for $450, wild how cheap. Our 42" Panasonic Plasma, while still working great, was a little small for the space and viewing distance. Going to mount the plasma in the guest room.
Sweet!

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +171/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #8663 on: February 09, 2024, 07:41:50 am »
Sweet!

Must be fun not to have to do the "x 1.38" math on everything!
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +8/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Ram 1500 Classic, 2014 Highlander Hybrid
« Reply #8664 on: February 09, 2024, 10:09:48 am »

That sounds like a good deal! My 65" TCL Roku costed $900 back then.  One thing i wish I had is the voice command on the remote controller.   I have it on my TV upstairs (48") and it's super convenient.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #8665 on: February 09, 2024, 12:16:02 pm »

That sounds like a good deal! My 65" TCL Roku costed $900 back then.  One thing i wish I had is the voice command on the remote controller.   I have it on my TV upstairs (48") and it's super convenient.

Yeah, TV prices have come way down. This is also USD though. I remember my parents spending like $3K on a 55" plasma in the early/mid 2000s.

This new LG does have the voice command on the remote, which is a nice feature. That said, most streaming boxes have voice command remotes (Fire Stick, Xfinitiy Flex, etc), which is pretty sweet if you're going to run a non-smart TV.

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8666 on: February 09, 2024, 02:25:13 pm »

Yeah, TV prices have come way down. This is also USD though. I remember my parents spending like $3K on a 55" plasma in the early/mid 2000s.

This new LG does have the voice command on the remote, which is a nice feature. That said, most streaming boxes have voice command remotes (Fire Stick, Xfinitiy Flex, etc), which is pretty sweet if you're going to run a non-smart TV.

Talking about TVs,  We visited my kid's future middles schools yesterday,  they still have massive 32" tube JVC TVs hanging form the ceiling,

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +171/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #8667 on: February 09, 2024, 02:35:13 pm »

Talking about TVs,  We visited my kid's future middles schools yesterday,  they still have massive 32" tube JVC TVs hanging form the ceiling,

These tubes probably replaced the 16mm projectors 10 years ago - still a few good decades in them  ;D

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8668 on: February 09, 2024, 02:39:28 pm »

These tubes probably replaced the 16mm projectors 10 years ago - still a few good decades in them  ;D

a Massive block hanging,  I was amazed!  ;D

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #8669 on: February 09, 2024, 03:17:44 pm »
Still got our big tube TV sunk into the wall with a LCD in front of it

Wasn't sure how to pry it out of there without wrecking the wall, plus it's something like 150 to 200 lbs, most of it on the front 'flat' screen. And it explodes if you drop it, even more of a good time

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #8670 on: February 09, 2024, 04:39:42 pm »

I still have a Sony XBR3 from 2005. Still running and one thing it does have is decent sound with forward firing speakers and glass/meatal surround bezel. 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8671 on: February 09, 2024, 06:32:01 pm »

. And it explodes if you drop it, even more of a good time

You need to amuse is all with a video of that! LOL [emoji38]

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8672 on: February 10, 2024, 11:19:59 am »
Still got our big tube TV sunk into the wall with a LCD in front of it

Wasn't sure how to pry it out of there without wrecking the wall, plus it's something like 150 to 200 lbs, most of it on the front 'flat' screen. And it explodes if you drop it, even more of a good time

You should turn it into a vault.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8673 on: February 14, 2024, 07:24:41 pm »
Giant Loop fuel bag. Says 7.4L but will probably fill about 6L to keep it manageable. Will either extend range on the FE501 to around 350k kms off road or allow the TE300 to do 120 kms. Kind of unwieldy at start but once fuel is dumped into tank it packs up in a 3" roll.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8674 on: February 18, 2024, 06:27:11 pm »
Re-caulked the entire showing in our master. Looked like the previous owner put fresh caulk over the old original at some point, the typical black mold was showing through, plus his work was sloppy. Spent a half day stripping everything out completely and recaulking. Tedious job, but it'll be nice to shower tonight with nice fresh, neat caulking.

Also grabbed another cheap TV....a 43" (odd size...) Pioneer (!?) from Best Buy for Mrs.Firm's workout area. Fit the wall perfectly, and only $169 on sale!

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #8675 on: February 18, 2024, 06:57:06 pm »
Nice job, that's fiddly work. Find my beading skills get good only when I am just about done

Crazy on that TV price, not that long ago that was big unit. Now it's almost giveaway size. Inflation really depends on what you are buying

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8676 on: March 19, 2024, 07:06:35 pm »
I don't think it's by design. Weird. 3/4" is very close to a 19mm socket. Do you know what lug nuts a Volt comes equipped with?

Definitively not by design! Someone, someday, put what it got the closet match under hand. Too late to test no my son's car but my guess it is 19mm, all the car is metric! I have to check mine.  Online part: Wheel Nut - GM # 9598708

Two of them might have lost the chrome cover? By the look of it that would change the size slightly

https://www.gm-volt.com/threads/lug-nut-refresh.338929/

Yeah, typical nut design to cheaper their cost imho, without accounting salt corrosion!

If its like the two piece lug nut design on my wife's old acadia, the nut underneath the chrome cover would start to corrode and cause the cover to bulge slightly. Really annoying and dumb design. Once a few of them started rusting/expanding I replaced them all with a once piece design.

I'll do the same next spring, I'll try to find solid piece nut as they were in the good old days  :shuffle:

Received 40 solid, 1 piece wheel nuts for son's Volt & mine
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #8677 on: March 19, 2024, 07:28:41 pm »
The dishwasher stopped draining, turns out it was the drain pump.

This is the second time it's being replaced, the first was while it was under warranty.

Went with one from Amazon that was half the price of the OEM. It seems to be the same manufacturer as the one that was in there.  I guess the warranty part wasn't OEM.

It was pretty beep boop once I was sure it was the pump. Nice to have it back up and running.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8678 on: March 19, 2024, 07:43:48 pm »
The dishwasher stopped draining, turns out it was the drain pump.

This is the second time it's being replaced, the first was while it was under warranty.

Went with one from Amazon that was half the price of the OEM. It seems to be the same manufacturer as the one that was in there.  I guess the warranty part wasn't OEM.

It was pretty beep boop once I was sure it was the pump. Nice to have it back up and running.
Nice, man!!

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-384
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #8679 on: March 19, 2024, 08:41:43 pm »
I don't think it's by design. Weird. 3/4" is very close to a 19mm socket. Do you know what lug nuts a Volt comes equipped with?

Definitively not by design! Someone, someday, put what it got the closet match under hand. Too late to test no my son's car but my guess it is 19mm, all the car is metric! I have to check mine.  Online part: Wheel Nut - GM # 9598708

Two of them might have lost the chrome cover? By the look of it that would change the size slightly

https://www.gm-volt.com/threads/lug-nut-refresh.338929/

Yeah, typical nut design to cheaper their cost imho, without accounting salt corrosion!

If its like the two piece lug nut design on my wife's old acadia, the nut underneath the chrome cover would start to corrode and cause the cover to bulge slightly. Really annoying and dumb design. Once a few of them started rusting/expanding I replaced them all with a once piece design.

I'll do the same next spring, I'll try to find solid piece nut as they were in the good old days  :shuffle:

Received 40 solid, 1 piece wheel nuts for son's Volt & mine

Congrats on new nuts!  ;D
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.