Author Topic: What you Buy or DIY show off thread  (Read 1783146 times)

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
Re: What you Buy or DIY show off thread
« Reply #8560 on: November 24, 2023, 09:18:56 pm »
I looked into a NG heater for garage but due to gas meter on other side of house it was essentially a no go without being very expensive and ugly. Ended up getting a 220V plug put into garage and I run a  small (4800W) electric heater unit on days I want to work on stuff in garage.  It takes a few hours for the heater to take the space from 0 to 15 (on a cold day) but then holds it nice. My garage has the roof insulated (open trusses) which doesn't help since there is a ton of airspace. Anyhow about $300 for the plug and $150 for the heater.

Thats what I did in my old place. Electric  overhead unit would bring it up to  10C or so in about 2 hours, that was fine for working.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6817
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #8561 on: November 24, 2023, 10:28:28 pm »
Last March I sunk 2 wells into the shoreline.  One for my son, the other for me.  These extend about 10 feet into the earth. These shore wells are always dicey when the water levels fluctuate in a body of water that can get extremely stormy and have sand bars that shift around.

My son's well is pumped using a 220V submersible.   Standard 3 inch diameter deep well unit.  Pumps water very quickly, silently.  Both houses run off this pump.  The other well employs a typical foot valve arrangement via a 220V jet pump on land.  That covers all tree and grass watering.

As bad luck would have it, during storms the submersible would draw sand into the bottom of the well.  About 5 feet despite filter cloth and a ton of course rock and gravel.  This takes a while.  Maybe 6 months.  The only way to get rid of the sand is to pump it out with an extremely heavy commercial pump that's rented.  Impossible to do in winter.  A bit of a concern.

So I got wind of this new type of pump made in Italy.  We employ a Sand Point (pictured in #3) in the well and hook that up to this "continuous pressurized pump" . 120V.   We will see.   
« Last Edit: November 24, 2023, 10:32:56 pm by ArticSteve »

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7218
    • View Profile
« Reply #8562 on: November 25, 2023, 09:51:09 am »
I looked into a NG heater for garage but due to gas meter on other side of house it was essentially a no go without being very expensive and ugly. Ended up getting a 220V plug put into garage and I run a  small (4800W) electric heater unit on days I want to work on stuff in garage.  It takes a few hours for the heater to take the space from 0 to 15 (on a cold day) but then holds it nice. My garage has the roof insulated (open trusses) which doesn't help since there is a ton of airspace. Anyhow about $300 for the plug and $150 for the heater.

Thats what I did in my old place. Electric  overhead unit would bring it up to  10C or so in about 2 hours, that was fine for working.
I had one of those propane heating jet tubes.

Would turn the garage toasty very quickly!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8563 on: November 25, 2023, 09:52:44 am »

Last March I sunk 2 wells into the shoreline.  One for my son, the other for me.  These extend about 10 feet into the earth. These shore wells are always dicey when the water levels fluctuate in a body of water that can get extremely stormy and have sand bars that shift around.

My son's well is pumped using a 220V submersible.   Standard 3 inch diameter deep well unit.  Pumps water very quickly, silently.  Both houses run off this pump.  The other well employs a typical foot valve arrangement via a 220V jet pump on land.  That covers all tree and grass watering.

As bad luck would have it, during storms the submersible would draw sand into the bottom of the well.  About 5 feet despite filter cloth and a ton of course rock and gravel.  This takes a while.  Maybe 6 months.  The only way to get rid of the sand is to pump it out with an extremely heavy commercial pump that's rented.  Impossible to do in winter.  A bit of a concern.

So I got wind of this new type of pump made in Italy.  We employ a Sand Point (pictured in #3) in the well and hook that up to this "continuous pressurized pump" . 120V.   We will see.

Geez....it's always something eh?

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Volkswagen, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #8564 on: November 25, 2023, 09:57:38 am »

Have one as well, think it's 60,000 BTU and it's a small one.   We use it at the cottage if we go in the winter.  We turn it on, go for a 20 minute walk and it's comfy enough when we get back.   Would still be pretty useless in my garage as all the heat would just go out the uninsulated roof.
Mr Pickypants

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +128/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 MDX; 2007 Tundra; 2012 Civic (Junior1), 2013 Sentra (Junior2)
« Reply #8565 on: November 25, 2023, 10:05:37 am »

I’ve been using a propane heater the  15 years or so when I want to work on something. Time for an upgrade.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8566 on: November 25, 2023, 10:51:09 am »

I’ve been using a propane heater the  15 years or so when I want to work on something. Time for an upgrade.
I hear ya.

I always wanted a waste oil heater for my garage. But price was high.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #8567 on: November 25, 2023, 11:51:30 am »
Heated slab with floor drains is the only way to go if building new. Spend the money for a lifetime of bliss.

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +8/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Ram 1500 Classic, 2014 Highlander Hybrid
« Reply #8568 on: November 25, 2023, 01:15:44 pm »
A local private fitness centre was closing so my son bought one of their commercial grade treadmills.  Huge friggin thing.  Never uses it. :rofl2:

yeah we are looking into a commercial one. Ours gets a minimum 40 - 50km a week, up to 100km a week in winter steady for 4- 5 years now so we use it. my wife uses is more than me though.  so it a good investment for us.

my wife runs minimum 2 marathons year plus a bunch of other races.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #8569 on: November 25, 2023, 02:30:04 pm »
A local private fitness centre was closing so my son bought one of their commercial grade treadmills.  Huge friggin thing.  Never uses it. :rofl2:

yeah we are looking into a commercial one. Ours gets a minimum 40 - 50km a week, up to 100km a week in winter steady for 4- 5 years now so we use it. my wife uses is more than me though.  so it a good investment for us.

my wife runs minimum 2 marathons year plus a bunch of other races.

Neither my son or daughter in law run.  Currently, it's squished into his garage unusable for lack of space.  I can't even get a pic of it as it's piled full of stuff.  You couldn't possibly carrying this tread mill into a house.

After my son picked this thing up, the ex fitness operator called him and said he had found a spare belt and he would leave it with the owner of a Freshi franchise next door.  The lady then called my son and said she had taken it home and drop by sometime.  Since it was in my immediate stomping area I went and got it a few months later.  I thought I was picking up a drive belt. like a fan belt.  Here this woman comes up here basement stairs with this giant and very heavy replacement "running" belt.  I apologized profusely that she had been put thru this as I thought it was a little drive belt.  :rofl2:    This belt has to be really pricey.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8570 on: November 25, 2023, 03:16:37 pm »
Heated slab with floor drains is the only way to go if building new. Spend the money for a lifetime of bliss.

We installed one in my son's recent build.  Those drains are banned at his location so we had to hide it the entire time of construction with sheets of plywood.

At my owe house I just drilled a 4 inch hole in the center of the floor after I received my final.  Made sure I had no rebar at that spot.  Drains are also banned at my particular location due to being located in "Hazard Land"  A term government uses just to fack you up.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #8571 on: November 25, 2023, 03:18:43 pm »
For the last while I've been borrowing my neighbours floor jack when changing out the tires. It's worked well enough but has always been an inconvenience.

I saw this was heavily discounted so I decided to pick one up. Between the two cars and the boat trailer it should get some use.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8572 on: November 26, 2023, 02:16:03 am »
Nice!

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #8573 on: November 26, 2023, 10:41:00 am »

We installed one in my son's recent build.  Those drains are banned at his location so we had to hide it the entire time of construction with sheets of plywood.

At my owe house I just drilled a 4 inch hole in the center of the floor after I received my final.  Made sure I had no rebar at that spot.  Drains are also banned at my particular location due to being located in "Hazard Land"  A term government uses just to fack you up.

That looks awesome. I would drill a hole in the garage slab but the builder ran the sewer lines under it. If I decide to stay in this place I may jack the garage floor (heaved/cracked) and install a proper slab with heat and piling support so it doesn't fail.

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8574 on: November 26, 2023, 12:45:51 pm »
For the last while I've been borrowing my neighbours floor jack when changing out the tires. It's worked well enough but has always been an inconvenience.

I saw this was heavily discounted so I decided to pick one up. Between the two cars and the boat trailer it should get some use.

nice purchase.  I have a nice onebut never use it. my neighbor's kids always have it so they can work on their civic type R

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #8575 on: November 26, 2023, 12:52:27 pm »

Nice! My parents bought me the same one as a house warming gift. 12 years of oil changes, tire swaps, brakes and other maintenance jobs and its never let me down. (Pun intended)
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #8576 on: December 04, 2023, 07:41:27 am »
Wife got me an early Christmas present, been wanting a radar detector for a while. Apparently this is a good one

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8577 on: December 04, 2023, 10:08:39 am »
Well, we got ourselves a nice refurbished commercial grade treadmill.  Precor 9.35,  We're getting it Thursday.  the old  one is junk. time to put on the mile!

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Volkswagen, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #8578 on: December 04, 2023, 10:15:10 am »
Wife got me an early Christmas present, been wanting a radar detector for a while. Apparently this is a good one

Popo took mine years ago.  Are they legal in Alberta...or is this just "undetectable"?
Mine was supposed to be undetectable. :(

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #8579 on: December 04, 2023, 11:08:48 am »
Yes, legal in Alberta.

I still have my Beltronics something-or-other I bought when I got the GTI. Was nice to have, but I haven't bothered to use it since I got the Crosstrek.  :)