Author Topic: What you Buy or DIY show off thread  (Read 1747838 times)

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
Re: What you Buy or DIY show off thread
« Reply #7080 on: September 24, 2020, 07:00:40 pm »
Kobota Canada is offering ridiculous deals on BX series lawn type tractor, despite having no stock  ???, that I snapped this unit up along with a blower.

Enjoying the experience.   Borrowed the neighbours set of forks, which are meant for a 75 HP skid steer so too heavy (will need to drop another 1K for a lighter set) and unloaded a U haul truck full of furniture without breaking a sweat and unloaded a 150 lb. would stove off the son's new Fi150 which would have been a real problem otherwise.  Lift off truck, transport to deck and then dolly into house.  So nice.

Nice buy!  Buddy of mine bought one.a few years ago and I went with him to pick it up.  He also bought the blower.  His blower is rear mounted though so that kinda sucks. 

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #7081 on: September 24, 2020, 07:49:46 pm »
I use them. Worthwhile. They do lengthen the spine a bit for a little time.  Good first thing out of bed.  They don't fix anything though.
Yeah, not a permanent fix just something to counter gravity.
Railton
Nice!  :thumbup: I’ve had one for almost 25 years now and it works great for reliving spinal stress.  I believe it is the series 2 model.
Hope you have lots of room for permanent setup because it’s a pita to move around.  Mine folds up but is still heavy and awkward.
Is yours a Series 2 Teeter or another brand?
Yes, I was suggesting to put it in our bedroom - it's large enough and that she would see it. If we put it in the gym downstairs then she wouldn't.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #7082 on: September 24, 2020, 08:00:07 pm »
IQ loves those Migun beds....she's been wanting one for awhile.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7083 on: September 24, 2020, 09:10:25 pm »
I use them. Worthwhile. They do lengthen the spine a bit for a little time.  Good first thing out of bed.  They don't fix anything though.
Yeah, not a permanent fix just something to counter gravity.
Railton
Nice!  :thumbup: I’ve had one for almost 25 years now and it works great for reliving spinal stress.  I believe it is the series 2 model.
Hope you have lots of room for permanent setup because it’s a pita to move around.  Mine folds up but is still heavy and awkward.
Is yours a Series 2 Teeter or another brand?
Yes, I was suggesting to put it in our bedroom - it's large enough and that she would see it. If we put it in the gym downstairs then she wouldn't.
Railton

Mine's a Teeter brand and it was around $500 even back then.  Money well spent as I still get lot of use out of it and will likely last a lifetime.  The original backrest fabric eventually wore out and started to tear so I made one out of plywood, put some good quality foam padding on top of that and covered it with black vinyl fabric.  That altered the balance a little because the new one is a lot heavier but is easily compensated for by adding and inch to the height setting. 
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 09:25:08 pm by KD »

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #7084 on: September 25, 2020, 08:53:43 am »
Buddy of mine bought one.a few years ago and I went with him to pick it up.  He also bought the blower.  His blower is rear mounted though so that kinda sucks.

I actually bought this unit for my son who will be building first a 1025 sq. ft garage with full second story (9 ft walls) self contained unit to live in while the main cottage gets torn down later and replaced with a house.   This is how you gotta do things now if it's waterfront; an addition (garage) if attached to existing dwelling is fairly unrestricted and falls under much more lenient codes.  Then you later demo the existing structure but leave a section of the front wall standing (waterside) until end.  This is also considered a reno.  The difference in costs between a reno and new build is extreme in terms of fees and taxes.

Having said all that, that is why I opted for the rear blower because he'll need to keep the front loader/forks on the tractor to unload and move stuff around.  After completion he can go get himself a front blower but we are looking at such a small amount of area to service I can't see the worth in it.

Kabota make real top notch small tractors.  They have a strangle hold on the market.  The Series I JohnDeere units are just sh*t in comparison.  I still have my JD lawn rider from 1987 which was brutalized for 18 years at my ex farm, but it was actually a Kawaski made in Japan. The Japanese; with few exceptions, just keep the quality up.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #7085 on: September 25, 2020, 08:57:45 am »
BTW, this is DEF FREE tractor.  :D    Anything Kabota over 23HP is DEF.  Although bumper to bumper warranty for 6 years, DEF is a deal breaker for me.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7086 on: September 25, 2020, 09:54:30 pm »
BTW, this is DEF FREE tractor.  :D    Anything Kabota over 23HP is DEF.  Although bumper to bumper warranty for 6 years, DEF is a deal breaker for me.

Coworker bought a 70hp Kubota last fall.  He has a wood lot and didn't plan on buying something that large but he told me due to tax benefits it was actually cheaper to buy the 70hp than the 60hp unit.  He had no idea until the sales guy brought it up.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7087 on: September 25, 2020, 10:23:51 pm »
In Ontario at least any tractor 70HP, new or used is tax exempt.  If you buy whatever implements at the same time they are tax free also.

70 HP new Kabota is some serious money.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7088 on: September 26, 2020, 03:36:48 pm »
In Ontario at least any tractor 70HP, new or used is tax exempt.  If you buy whatever implements at the same time they are tax free also.

70 HP new Kabota is some serious money.
Any lawn/garden tractor is serious money.....

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #7089 on: October 02, 2020, 12:54:49 pm »
Dishwasher stopped washing yesterday (see things that irritate me thread).  I started looking at Bosch dishwashers on the Costco website then decided I would dig into this one more.  Pulled the washer last night, pulled the circulation pump and motor.  Shaft from the pump into the motor sleeve was full of grit and the plastic sleeve is chewed up a bit.  Cleaned it up, put it back together and its running again.

I ordered a circulation pump/motor off amazon today for $150.  Local parts store was $300.  When it quits again I'll replace it and hopefully that takes care of it for a while.  If not, its new dishwasher time.

The dishwasher was acting up on and off all week.  Motor/pump came a couple days ago so I installed it.  So far so good with a couple of cycles run. 
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #7090 on: October 03, 2020, 01:45:52 pm »
Put a new smart thermostat in. Noticed after my new furnace this year that my thermostat was doing funny things. Tried doing a factory reset, but didn't seem to work.

Decided on an Ecobee 3 Lite. Canadian company. I have no C wire and thought there might be issues but they include a neat C-wire converter thing. Instructions were very, very good. Install was quick and easy.

Pretty impressed so far.

How's the thermostat? I'm eyeing buying this and replacing my 25 year old Honeywell.
Very pleased!

App is easy to use and thermostat has worked flawlessly thus far.

Tried the geofencing just to see if it works. Sure enough, as soon as we left/came home, thermostat turned off/on based on phone proximity. There's also a function that ties into your utility (eco+) and varies usage need on time of day pricing. Have not used it though. And if you want to nerd out on analytics of your house, lots of users use this:
https://beestat.io/

But we're just using the thermostat "normally"with schedules. But it can do more (with room sensors sold separately) if you need the functionality. Thermostat looks good, display is crisp (and wakes up just by standing in front of it).

No complaints so far and would recommend.

Thanks for the update. Time to buy, seems like I'm also eligible for a $75 instant rebate from enbridge :)
Cheapest I found was Amazon...that's where I got mine.

Just purchased...$162.72 including taxes and delivery (free)...direct from ecobee with $75 instant rebate.

Finally had a chance to install the Ecobee. And I’ll echo the above, great instructions, easy install. I needed the power extender as well, but fairly straightforward to wire into the furnace electrics. Nice upgrade!
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7091 on: October 03, 2020, 01:57:08 pm »
Put a new smart thermostat in. Noticed after my new furnace this year that my thermostat was doing funny things. Tried doing a factory reset, but didn't seem to work.

Decided on an Ecobee 3 Lite. Canadian company. I have no C wire and thought there might be issues but they include a neat C-wire converter thing. Instructions were very, very good. Install was quick and easy.

Pretty impressed so far.

How's the thermostat? I'm eyeing buying this and replacing my 25 year old Honeywell.
Very pleased!

App is easy to use and thermostat has worked flawlessly thus far.

Tried the geofencing just to see if it works. Sure enough, as soon as we left/came home, thermostat turned off/on based on phone proximity. There's also a function that ties into your utility (eco+) and varies usage need on time of day pricing. Have not used it though. And if you want to nerd out on analytics of your house, lots of users use this:
https://beestat.io/

But we're just using the thermostat "normally"with schedules. But it can do more (with room sensors sold separately) if you need the functionality. Thermostat looks good, display is crisp (and wakes up just by standing in front of it).

No complaints so far and would recommend.

Thanks for the update. Time to buy, seems like I'm also eligible for a $75 instant rebate from enbridge :)
Cheapest I found was Amazon...that's where I got mine.

Just purchased...$162.72 including taxes and delivery (free)...direct from ecobee with $75 instant rebate.

Finally had a chance to install the Ecobee. And I’ll echo the above, great instructions, easy install. I needed the power extender as well, but fairly straightforward to wire into the furnace electrics. Nice upgrade!
Yep...it really is.

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #7092 on: October 04, 2020, 12:18:03 am »
New Paderno cookware - Made in PEI - on sale at CT last week.
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #7093 on: October 04, 2020, 08:09:09 am »
Nice , we are still our Paderno we got as wedding gifts over 40 years ago

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #7094 on: October 04, 2020, 08:20:03 am »
Nice , we are still our Paderno we got as wedding gifts over 40 years ago
^^Has a set of pots and pans older then members on this board! :rofl2:
Railton
PS. Me too!

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7095 on: October 04, 2020, 08:29:20 am »
...and that's only because I told the Ex that she could take anything she wanted but leave the damn Paderno! :rofl2:
Railton

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #7096 on: October 04, 2020, 09:41:03 am »
...and that's only because I told the Ex that she could take anything she wanted but leave the damn Paderno! :rofl2:
Railton

Boss!
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7097 on: October 04, 2020, 06:39:54 pm »

We bought a tent for the wife's truck and went truck tenting.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #7098 on: October 04, 2020, 06:44:59 pm »

Nice but where are the Yeti coolers?

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7099 on: October 04, 2020, 06:46:29 pm »

That looks comfortable!   :thumbup: