Author Topic: What you Buy or DIY show off thread  (Read 1747317 times)

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
Re: What you Buy or DIY show off thread
« Reply #7040 on: August 29, 2020, 07:09:27 am »
Geese moved into my waterfront property about 3 years ago. :P   Does the BS ever end.  >:(    What a horrible dirty bird.  It's amazing the sh*t that comes out of those things.  In the spring I dispatch the b*astards.  But in the summer it's too much of a risk so I counter attacked with these.  These birds are smart and they now avoid my place, but still paddle by to close and when they do I hit them with a SCREAMER (green ones) and then a BEAR BANGER (red ones stored individually as they are fairly explosive  ;D).  You need two guns for this as they are hard to load quickly.  The other red ones are a bit of a disappointment (WHISTLERS), but you gotta try things.

The trick is to hit them with a screamer and then as they are just lifting off you nail them with a banger.  Don't see the b*astards for weeks after that.  :rofl2:  Thanks to some dumb law in the 90's there are now millions of excess geese fouling everything in sight and getting sucked into or hitting planes.  Even other birds hate these things.  What a fack up. 

They sell an over/under double barrel as well.
I know they use these sort of noise makers in Niagara to protect the grapes and such but, are these legal in Ontario to use around the lakes and waterways?
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #7041 on: August 29, 2020, 08:06:42 am »
Geese moved into my waterfront property about 3 years ago. [emoji14]   Does the BS ever end.  >:(    What a horrible dirty bird.  It's amazing the sh*t that comes out of those things.  In the spring I dispatch the b*astards.  But in the summer it's too much of a risk so I counter attacked with these.  These birds are smart and they now avoid my place, but still paddle by to close and when they do I hit them with a SCREAMER (green ones) and then a BEAR BANGER (red ones stored individually as they are fairly explosive  ;D).  You need two guns for this as they are hard to load quickly.  The other red ones are a bit of a disappointment (WHISTLERS), but you gotta try things.

The trick is to hit them with a screamer and then as they are just lifting off you nail them with a banger.  Don't see the b*astards for weeks after that.  :rofl2:  Thanks to some dumb law in the 90's there are now millions of excess geese fouling everything in sight and getting sucked into or hitting planes.  Even other birds hate these things.  What a fack up. 

They sell an over/under double barrel as well.
I know they use these sort of noise makers in Niagara to protect the grapes and such but, are these legal in Ontario to use around the lakes and waterways?
Railton
I live on the lake..beside vineyards...and they use them.

Not sure what the regs are up there.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #7042 on: August 29, 2020, 12:12:25 pm »
^I've seen propane powered "cannons" being used in the blueberry fields out east.
Set it up and go, of course the neighbours will hate you

https://wcscanadastore.com/products/m8-multi-bang-propane-cannon

Mr Pickypants

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #7043 on: August 30, 2020, 07:28:14 pm »
Geese moved into my waterfront property about 3 years ago. :P   Does the BS ever end.  >:(    What a horrible dirty bird.  It's amazing the sh*t that comes out of those things.  In the spring I dispatch the b*astards.  But in the summer it's too much of a risk so I counter attacked with these.  These birds are smart and they now avoid my place, but still paddle by to close and when they do I hit them with a SCREAMER (green ones) and then a BEAR BANGER (red ones stored individually as they are fairly explosive  ;D).  You need two guns for this as they are hard to load quickly.  The other red ones are a bit of a disappointment (WHISTLERS), but you gotta try things.

Where can I get something like that? Geese are a problem here at Red Bay now too.

https://kodiakcanada.com/products/record-pistol-bear-bangers-and-starter-blanks

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #7044 on: August 30, 2020, 07:34:10 pm »
 are these legal in Ontario to use around the lakes and waterways?

No idea.  I'm sure there is a MARXIST in government somewhere that would like to see them banned.   Really I don't think there is a thing the OPP can do or would care to do because these birds are universally despised where they reside.  It would be more of an issue if you fired it at someone.

Offline Golly

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 05 Miata, 16 Malibu Premier, 19 Buick Enclave Avenir
« Reply #7045 on: September 05, 2020, 06:34:01 pm »
I removed the top section of the B vent chimney that goes through the roof, capped off the B vent in the attic, patched up the shingles and installed a 4 ft section ridge vent.  Removing the top section was easier than I expected, it just lifted off.  The toughest part was going up and down the ladder a dozen times; I have a 2 story house.

The furnace was upgraded to a high efficiency one a few years ago and the hot water tank was upgraded last year to a power vent gas heater, venting out the side of the house so the B vent hasn't been used in over a year.

The B vent section is twin-walled; does anyone know if there's asbestos insulation between the walls?  The house is 55 years old.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 06:36:23 pm by Golly »

Offline Golly

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7046 on: September 05, 2020, 06:34:51 pm »
Ridge vent

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7047 on: September 06, 2020, 07:37:59 am »
Nice job.  Roof may be high, but at least the pitch was workable.  No idea about the asbestos.  1950?  Depends on what part of the country.  Could have no insulation.

Offline Golly

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7048 on: September 12, 2020, 09:55:11 pm »
Re-leveled my 8 x 12 garden shed using a hydraulic toe jack that I borrowed from a friend.  The shed had sunk over 2 inches at one end.  The jack worked like a charm.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #7049 on: September 12, 2020, 10:07:12 pm »
Cool tool. Didn't realize those existed

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #7050 on: September 13, 2020, 08:11:23 pm »
We've had this Napoleon Patio Flame gas Fireplace for about 10 years now. We used it quite a bit the first few years bit then the novelty wore off and just now and then. I think the past couple of years not at all. The original ceramic logs disintegrated because I was not bringing them in during the Winter and, the even though the unit was made of stainless steel it had a weak link - the venturi. I found this out when I started it up the other day and found that the flames were not coming out where they should have - like, underneath the burner! :o
So, I took it all apart and found the venturi all rusted and broken in two pieces. And, I might add, not made of stainless steel, just zinc plated regular steel.
Napoleon no longer sells this unit and parts availability is sketchy during Covid.
I ended up using a venturi from a universal barbecue burner and adapting it for use.
I put it all back together tonight and replaced the old ceramic logs with Bond Tempered Glass Rocks on top of the lava rocks.
Were all good now for Fall-time fires.
Railton

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #7051 on: September 13, 2020, 08:17:00 pm »
Nice work Ted!! :cheers:

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #7052 on: September 13, 2020, 08:30:38 pm »
Were all good now for Fall-time fires.
Railton

Boss!
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7053 on: September 13, 2020, 08:41:51 pm »
Ted brings his A game!

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7054 on: September 14, 2020, 11:27:48 am »
Thanks Gents.
I just need to find/scrounge a garbage can lid that can fit over the burner area for Winterizing and keeping the rain and snow off. Ideally, a windy garbage day when the garbage cans and lids blow all over the place. ;D
Railton

Online tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #7055 on: September 14, 2020, 11:45:52 am »
I've been considering getting one of those for the back deck.  It would be nice to extend the sitting outdoors season by a few weeks.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7056 on: September 14, 2020, 12:11:00 pm »
I've been considering getting one of those for the back deck.  It would be nice to extend the sitting outdoors season by a few weeks.
Well if you want to purchase one for this Fall then you should hurry because a lot of the stores are switching over the seasonal patio stuff to Halloween and *shudder* Winter stuff already.
You'll find that covid has put a dent in availability of these fire pits as well.
Propane units are more likely to be available over the NG units.
Railton

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #7057 on: September 14, 2020, 05:34:34 pm »
Thanks Gents.
I just need to find/scrounge a garbage can lid that can fit over the burner area for Winterizing and keeping the rain and snow off. Ideally, a windy garbage day when the garbage cans and lids blow all over the place. ;D
Railton

You could also bungee a small tarp, maybe?  Nicely done, sir.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7058 on: September 14, 2020, 06:38:02 pm »
Thanks Gents.
Railton

Yeah, the guy over the fence uses that system for his pits but I'm looking for something not quite so obvious.
Think a large round metal or plastic disc of some sort. The garbage can lid idea...with a piece of interlocking brick to hold it down.
Railton

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7059 on: September 14, 2020, 07:25:49 pm »
Thanks Gents.
Railton

Yeah, the guy over the fence uses that system for his pits but I'm looking for something not quite so obvious.
Think a large round metal or plastic disc of some sort. The garbage can lid idea...with a piece of interlocking brick to hold it down.
Railton

Pizza tray...though it depends on how big the opening is.