Author Topic: What you Buy or DIY show off thread  (Read 1746888 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
Re: What you Buy or DIY show off thread
« Reply #7000 on: August 18, 2020, 02:21:15 pm »
^ no such option on the Nest
You'd think that would be an easy firmware update fix to implement
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #7001 on: August 18, 2020, 02:26:07 pm »
Put a new smart thermostat in. Noticed after my new furnace this year that my thermostat was doing funny things. Tried doing a factory reset, but didn't seem to work.

Decided on an Ecobee 3 Lite. Canadian company. I have no C wire and thought there might be issues but they include a neat C-wire converter thing. Instructions were very, very good. Install was quick and easy.

Pretty impressed so far.

How's the thermostat? I'm eyeing buying this and replacing my 25 year old Honeywell.
Very pleased!

App is easy to use and thermostat has worked flawlessly thus far.

Tried the geofencing just to see if it works. Sure enough, as soon as we left/came home, thermostat turned off/on based on phone proximity. There's also a function that ties into your utility (eco+) and varies usage need on time of day pricing. Have not used it though. And if you want to nerd out on analytics of your house, lots of users use this:
https://beestat.io/

But we're just using the thermostat "normally"with schedules. But it can do more (with room sensors sold separately) if you need the functionality. Thermostat looks good, display is crisp (and wakes up just by standing in front of it).

No complaints so far and would recommend.

Thanks for the update. Time to buy, seems like I'm also eligible for a $75 instant rebate from enbridge :)
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7002 on: August 18, 2020, 02:29:27 pm »
Put a new smart thermostat in. Noticed after my new furnace this year that my thermostat was doing funny things. Tried doing a factory reset, but didn't seem to work.

Decided on an Ecobee 3 Lite. Canadian company. I have no C wire and thought there might be issues but they include a neat C-wire converter thing. Instructions were very, very good. Install was quick and easy.

Pretty impressed so far.

How's the thermostat? I'm eyeing buying this and replacing my 25 year old Honeywell.
Very pleased!

Tried the geofencing just to see if it works. Sure enough, as soon as we left/came home, thermostat turned off/on based on phone proximity. There's also a function that ties into your utility (eco+) and varies usage need on time of day pricing. Have not used it though. And if you want to nerd out on analytics of your house, lots of users use this:

But we're just using the thermostat "normally"with schedules. But it can do more (with room sensors sold separately) if you need the functionality. Thermostat looks good, display is crisp (and wakes up just by standing in front of it).

Thanks for the update. Time to buy, seems like I'm also eligible for a $75 instant rebate from enbridge :)
Cheapest I found was Amazon...that's where I got mine.

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #7003 on: August 18, 2020, 02:32:36 pm »

Pretty impressed so far.

Very pleased!

Just purchased...$162.72 including taxes and delivery (free)...direct from ecobee with $75 instant rebate.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7004 on: August 18, 2020, 02:33:26 pm »

Pretty impressed so far.

Very pleased!

Just purchased...$162.72 including taxes and delivery (free)...direct from ecobee with $75 instant rebate.
Nice!

Please let us know how the install goes and whether you like it!

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #7005 on: August 18, 2020, 03:22:15 pm »
^ no such option on the Nest
You'd think that would be an easy firmware update fix to implement

Lengthy thread about it here:
https://support.google.com/googlenest/thread/19492058?hl=en

Could be a firmware update that buggered it... could be faulty sensors...

Anyway.. just posting this to beware of the Nest's... avoid.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7006 on: August 24, 2020, 12:15:08 am »
Wanted a new headlight, since my Black Diamond has been a bit fussy lately.

I use these a lot...fixing cars, BBQing in the middle of the night, home repairs, etc.

I had a bunch of 18650 batteries that I use in my flashlights, so I wanted a headlight with same. I settled on the Slonik headlamp. https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07D27L1NR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_qXZqFbRCAQ61W

Nice aluminum construction. Simple, but comfortable headband. I thought it might be kinda heavy with the battery, but not the case. Also comes with a battery, which is a nice bonus. Comes in a compact, quality zip up case which is a nice touch.

This thing is BRIGHT. It's probably the brightest headlamp I have, by far. So bright that I can use it to see swirls in car paint when I polish...I typically use a separate light for this. On/off switch is a simple button. Hold it down and it will cycle through 5 levels of brightness. It rotates up/down easily in the holder. A really nice bonus is it pops out of the headband holder and can be used as a stand alone flashlight. To charge, you can use a separate battery charger or just unscrew the cap to expose a micro usb port and charge it that way.

Overall, really impressed with this little guy. Very bright, quality construction, simple aiming and on/off button.

Picture below I'm standing about 40 feet away from my tree, which itself is at least 60 feet tall.

Winner.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 12:22:48 am by rrocket »

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #7007 on: August 24, 2020, 07:50:00 am »
Wanted a new headlight, since my Black Diamond has been a bit fussy lately.

I use these a lot...fixing cars, BBQing in the middle of the night, home repairs, etc.

I had a bunch of 18650 batteries that I use in my flashlights, so I wanted a headlight with same. I settled on the Slonik headlamp.

Very nice. I remember when headlamps were big, bulky, heavy, not bright (compared to anything today), short battery life.  All these new headlamps are amazing.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #7008 on: August 24, 2020, 10:42:08 am »
The size of Ron's weed tho  :rofl2:
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #7009 on: August 24, 2020, 01:12:09 pm »
Finally finished the upper level of our yard. Got a patio and new, larger fire pit put in.

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #7010 on: August 24, 2020, 01:35:01 pm »
You are on a roll! Nice job

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #7011 on: August 24, 2020, 01:41:30 pm »

:iagree: :iagree:

Super clean and lovely!

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7012 on: August 24, 2020, 01:49:03 pm »

Super clean and lovely!

Agree, nice work!

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #7013 on: August 24, 2020, 02:26:12 pm »
Boss!
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #7014 on: August 24, 2020, 02:27:40 pm »

Super clean and lovely!

Agree, nice work!
x4, good job!!

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #7015 on: August 24, 2020, 05:02:20 pm »
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7016 on: August 24, 2020, 05:25:45 pm »
Thank you ladies and gents....now just need to extend the deck, install composite decking and build the wife a new pergola thing and we are done in the yard....maybe...unless she decides otherwise.  ;D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7017 on: August 24, 2020, 05:42:41 pm »
Thank you ladies and gents....now just need to extend the deck, install composite decking and build the wife a new pergola thing and we are done in the yard....maybe...unless she decides otherwise.  ;D
As soon as you get all that done she'll decide she wants to move!  :)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7018 on: August 24, 2020, 05:51:57 pm »
As soon as you get all that done she'll decide she wants to move!  :)

I already tried to sell her on moving to an acreage and she was having none of that and there is no way we are buying something newer as they have yards the size of a decent trampoline.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #7019 on: August 24, 2020, 06:03:11 pm »
Looks great Fob.  Home projects never end.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.