Author Topic: What you Buy or DIY show off thread  (Read 1746853 times)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
Re: What you Buy or DIY show off thread
« Reply #6980 on: June 29, 2020, 01:31:59 am »
Lotta work.  Great finish job.

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6981 on: July 01, 2020, 07:41:26 pm »
Bought some OEM goodies for my Saturn

Air filter
Oil filter
(2) air dam spring remplacement
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #6982 on: July 02, 2020, 07:42:03 pm »
Managed to shoehorn a decent chartplotter onto the boat instrument panel.  Quite a job as it's all molded fibreglass and not a flat surface to be found.  Luckily the local dealer was great and provided me with an aftermarket mount that worked.  Placement is not actually as bad as it looks in the pics as there is enough of a gap between it and the wheel to see the entire screen with just slight side-to-side movements, and still allow full adjustment of the wheel position.  The unit that came with it was original to the boat and was tiny and almost unreadable so it's filed away.  These things have come a long way and will probably take me a while to figure out everything it offers.  The transom mounted transducer unit was relatively easy to install as it fit in the same place as the old one.  Fishing the connector back up to the panel was the hardest part of that. 

https://buy.garmin.com/en-CA/CA/p/575473

« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 07:43:39 pm by KD »

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #6983 on: July 02, 2020, 08:43:08 pm »
^nice work Tom!

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #6984 on: July 14, 2020, 12:42:30 am »
Put a new smart thermostat in. Noticed after my new furnace this year that my thermostat was doing funny things. Tried doing a factory reset, but didn't seem to work.

Decided on an Ecobee 3 Lite. Canadian company. I have no C wire and thought there might be issues but they include a neat C-wire converter thing. Instructions were very, very good. Install was quick and easy.

Pretty impressed so far.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #6985 on: July 28, 2020, 12:04:11 am »
On vacay for the next two weeks...wife decided the bathroom on the main floor needed a makeover...$1000 in...half done...and all it is is a new sink, taps, some paint, all the little doodads you need to update something that's probably well over 30 yrs old (TP roller, towel hangers etc.)...facking shi#'s expensive... Good thing the toilet is fine...

Also made a little sidewalk past her garden to the outside taps...and being an office monkey...let me tell you, I think I blew out a knee lifting those stupid blocks never mind the 800lb bags of pea gravel. Pk, maybe 100-150 lbs, but my knees said they were 800.  Today it's saying I'm 800... :P

Still so much to do (she's got MORE plans  :'() and now I can hardly walk... Supposed to go camping on Friday, no idea how I'm going to load the bikes, I can hardly lift the one leg over the shower entrance without tripping.

Ahhh...getting old...when you're not even that old.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6986 on: July 28, 2020, 12:15:58 am »

When we did our Zen garden/patio, I had some dude sling the pea gravel.  No way was I going to sling enough pea gravel to do a 20x18 foot area 4" deep....f-that!!   :rofl: :rofl2:

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #6987 on: July 28, 2020, 07:01:54 am »
This is the first year since owning a home that i have no projects on the go, or planned.  Good thing too because building materials are scarce and getting expensive.  The worst part was that the post-covid lineups for the hardware stores would have made it a real pita getting in and out of there.  I haven't gone in to many stores over the last few months so not sure if that's still the case.  I have no patience for waiting in lineups.  :P

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #6988 on: July 28, 2020, 08:54:00 am »

When we did our Zen garden/patio, I had some dude sling the pea gravel.  No way was I going to sling enough pea gravel to do a 20x18 foot area 4" deep....f-that!!   :rofl: :rofl2:

Meh, i'd rather sling the the gravel. At the very least you get some exercise and at the end of it look back to see you have accomplished something. :P
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6989 on: July 28, 2020, 03:17:28 pm »

Meh, i'd rather sling the the gravel. At the very least you get some exercise and at the end of it look back to see you have accomplished something. [emoji14]
I get enough exercise at work....on my day off I prefer watching someone else do something like this!  :)

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #6990 on: July 28, 2020, 03:20:39 pm »
^ Reminds me of the neighbours last night.  They came over asking if my older boy wanted to make $20 moving their 65 boxes of laminate into the basement.  I go in the house and ask Junior, he starts questioning how heavy the boxes are, etc.  I just told him, go give your neighbours a hand and stop worrying about how much effort this is for $20.  Off he went, got it done in half hour, but he was sweating.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #6991 on: July 28, 2020, 06:26:11 pm »
My wife said I was purple...surely that's not a good thing.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #6992 on: July 28, 2020, 07:47:36 pm »
^^ Maybe your wife has some extra insurance on you that you don't know about. ;)

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #6993 on: August 18, 2020, 11:31:57 am »
I stopped by Wilderness Supply and picked up some things for my Manigotagan trip.  I picked up another 40L dry bag, so now I have one for my sleeping bag/pillow, and the other can be for my clothes and various other necessities that need to stay dry (T.P.).

I also picked up a pair of water shoes that will work well both in the canoe and for portages. 

Finally, some dehydrated meal packs that you just need to add hot water and presto, you've got a meal.  They were running perilously low on these meal packs.  Apparently there's some sort of pandemic going on that is pushing people into the outdoors more?  It seems as if there's abnormally high demand for this sort of stuff.  I might have to stop by MEC (ugh) to see if they have any more food that I can bring with me. 

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #6994 on: August 18, 2020, 12:14:34 pm »
Put a new smart thermostat in. Noticed after my new furnace this year that my thermostat was doing funny things. Tried doing a factory reset, but didn't seem to work.

Decided on an Ecobee 3 Lite. Canadian company. I have no C wire and thought there might be issues but they include a neat C-wire converter thing. Instructions were very, very good. Install was quick and easy.

Pretty impressed so far.

How's the thermostat? I'm eyeing buying this and replacing my 25 year old Honeywell.
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #6995 on: August 18, 2020, 12:45:00 pm »

Pretty impressed so far.

How's the thermostat? I'm eyeing buying this and replacing my 25 year old Honeywell.

Me as well.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6996 on: August 18, 2020, 01:39:40 pm »

Pretty impressed so far.

Very pleased!

App is easy to use and thermostat has worked flawlessly thus far.

Tried the geofencing just to see if it works. Sure enough, as soon as we left/came home, thermostat turned off/on based on phone proximity. There's also a function that ties into your utility (eco+) and varies usage need on time of day pricing. Have not used it though. And if you want to nerd out on analytics of your house, lots of users use this:
https://beestat.io/

But we're just using the thermostat "normally"with schedules. But it can do more (with room sensors sold separately) if you need the functionality. Thermostat looks good, display is crisp (and wakes up just by standing in front of it).

No complaints so far and would recommend.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 01:59:29 pm by rrocket »

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #6997 on: August 18, 2020, 01:59:17 pm »
^ We have the Nest which does all the same stuff as above.... but it fails in what should be the most basic function - temperature accuracy.
It is off my 3 degrees F (I have it set to fahrenheit because i'm old school...).  It reads 73 when it's actually 70... 
Seems to be a common complaint.

So, it sucks as a thermostat, but hey i can change the temperature with my phone, so there's that...  ::)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6998 on: August 18, 2020, 02:04:22 pm »
^ We have the Nest which does all the same stuff as above.... but it fails in what should be the most basic function - temperature accuracy.
It is off my 3 degrees F (I have it set to fahrenheit because i'm old school...).  It reads 73 when it's actually 70... 
Seems to be a common complaint.

So, it sucks as a thermostat, but hey i can change the temperature with my phone, so there's that...  ::)
Ecobee allows you to change that is there's an issue (temperature correction).

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #6999 on: August 18, 2020, 02:18:17 pm »
^ no such option on the Nest