Author Topic: What you Buy or DIY show off thread  (Read 1746047 times)

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
Re: What you Buy or DIY show off thread
« Reply #6940 on: June 22, 2020, 06:33:02 pm »
For Lightroom, could you download a version from the company's store and plunk in your s/n from the old version? Might be a long shot.

All done over a chat box on the Adobe website!  He sent me the installer .exe and it took less than 5 minutes.   :banana: :banana: :banana:

That is great news and how it should be.

Indeed.  It pays to register what you buy, as I was asked what my serial key was before he sent me the installer.  Super cool.  I'm glad I do things right at least part of the time.   ;D

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #6941 on: June 22, 2020, 06:48:57 pm »
For Lightroom, could you download a version from the company's store and plunk in your s/n from the old version? Might be a long shot.

All done over a chat box on the Adobe website!  He sent me the installer .exe and it took less than 5 minutes.   :banana: :banana: :banana:

That is great news and how it should be.

Yup, pay for the license, not the format.

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #6942 on: June 23, 2020, 12:16:12 pm »
So, my aging 27-inch iMac (mid-2011 model) is finally on its last legs, and can no longer get updates or a new OS.  It has performed flawlessly for almost 10 years, so it really owes me nothing at this point.  It recently started shutting down after about an hour's use, and a quick web search told me that this was due to overheating.  These units are notorious for lack of ventilation, and now I'm sure I've got a pantload of dust in there as well.  I considered sending it out to be cleaned, but that does not resolve the issue of obsolescence.

I had been agonizing for weeks over replacement options.  One consideration was image processing, which meant SSD + lots of power was the way to go.  Adobe Lightroom always ran very slowly on my Mac, and its lack of processing power was one of the reasons.

This afternoon I picked up an HP Envy laptop with the following specs:
- 17.3" FHD IPS LED display
- Multi-touch enabled touchscreen
- Intel Core i7-1065G7 Processor
- 1 TB SSD [3]
- 4-cell, 55.67 Wh
- 16 GB SODIMM DDR4 SDRAM
- Bang and Olufsen sound
- NVIDIA GeForce Graphics
- Fingerprint reader

I usually have a hard time with laptop keyboards, but this one is huge and backlit and includes a numeric keypad. 

I'm pretty pleased.  The only fly in the ointment is that my copy of Lightroom 6 is on a CD-ROM, and this laptop does not have a disc reader.  Would anyone know if I can just copy the one on my Mac over to my external drive, then pull it in from there?  Or am I royally screwed?  I don't mind buying a whole new version, but it seems silly to do that if I don't have to.  Or I could just buy an external reader, do the transfer, then return the reader...  :rofl2:

Very nice!  Definitely a powerful laptop that should give you years of service.

I still have my 2014 Mac Mini (bought in early 2015), which is ticking along nicely.  I plan to replace it with a new one sometime soon but am waiting to hear what they have in store for November.  The recent minor refresh is not really worth the money, yet.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 12:21:18 pm by random006 »
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6943 on: June 23, 2020, 12:20:09 pm »
Speaking of new computer H/W, I just bought a second 27" BENQ UHD monitor.  My Mac Mini now has two lovely 2560 x 1440 screens, useful for pandemic enforced remote support and my photography. 

The only issue with buying two different models (even from the same company) five years apart is that the default calibration is not quite the same.  It's minor issue for me, thankfully.  I should be OK as long as I'm consistent in how I use them (photo work vs non photo work).

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #6944 on: June 23, 2020, 01:09:20 pm »
So, my aging 27-inch iMac (mid-2011 model) is finally on its last legs, and can no longer get updates or a new OS.  It has performed flawlessly for almost 10 years, so it really owes me nothing at this point.  It recently started shutting down after about an hour's use, and a quick web search told me that this was due to overheating.  These units are notorious for lack of ventilation, and now I'm sure I've got a pantload of dust in there as well.  I considered sending it out to be cleaned, but that does not resolve the issue of obsolescence.

I had been agonizing for weeks over replacement options.  One consideration was image processing, which meant SSD + lots of power was the way to go.  Adobe Lightroom always ran very slowly on my Mac, and its lack of processing power was one of the reasons.

This afternoon I picked up an HP Envy laptop with the following specs:
- 17.3" FHD IPS LED display
- Multi-touch enabled touchscreen
- Intel Core i7-1065G7 Processor
- 1 TB SSD [3]
- 4-cell, 55.67 Wh
- 16 GB SODIMM DDR4 SDRAM
- Bang and Olufsen sound
- NVIDIA GeForce Graphics
- Fingerprint reader

I usually have a hard time with laptop keyboards, but this one is huge and backlit and includes a numeric keypad. 

I'm pretty pleased.  The only fly in the ointment is that my copy of Lightroom 6 is on a CD-ROM, and this laptop does not have a disc reader.  Would anyone know if I can just copy the one on my Mac over to my external drive, then pull it in from there?  Or am I royally screwed?  I don't mind buying a whole new version, but it seems silly to do that if I don't have to.  Or I could just buy an external reader, do the transfer, then return the reader...  :rofl2:

Very nice!  Definitely a powerful laptop that should give you years of service.

I still have my 2014 Mac Mini (bought in early 2015), which is ticking along nicely.  I plan to replace it with a new one sometime soon but am waiting to hear what they have in store for November.  The recent minor refresh is not really worth the money, yet.

My 2012 Mac mini is still going strong....I specced it well when I bought it, the quad core, SSD, and 16GB RAM.  Don't even give it a second thought these days, as it really just stores photos and media.  But it's funny to think back at all the computers I've owned, if you told me in 2012 I'd still be using it today and still be happy, I would not have believed you.

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #6945 on: June 23, 2020, 01:33:26 pm »
Speaking of new computer H/W, I just bought a second 27" BENQ UHD monitor.  My Mac Mini now has two lovely 2560 x 1440 screens, useful for pandemic enforced remote support and my photography. 

The only issue with buying two different models (even from the same company) five years apart is that the default calibration is not quite the same.  It's minor issue for me, thankfully.  I should be OK as long as I'm consistent in how I use them (photo work vs non photo work).

Awesome setup you have!

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #6946 on: June 23, 2020, 02:05:34 pm »
My 2012 Mac mini is still going strong....I specced it well when I bought it, the quad core, SSD, and 16GB RAM.  Don't even give it a second thought these days, as it really just stores photos and media.  But it's funny to think back at all the computers I've owned, if you told me in 2012 I'd still be using it today and still be happy, I would not have believed you.

I considered the same specs as yours in the current Mini, but I was also drawn to the idea of portability.  I have been spending too much time in my home office due to COVID WFH, and it's no longer a place I enjoy outside of work hours.  A strong MacBook would have set me back quite a few more $$$ than the HP.  I've only had the HP for a day and I am already having a great deal of fun surfing from my couch instead of an office chair.

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6947 on: June 23, 2020, 03:23:08 pm »

Awesome setup you have!

Thanks!  Here are a couple of photos:

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #6948 on: June 26, 2020, 12:09:35 pm »
Picked up a new (to us) boat a couple of days ago.  Graeme (Sailor) should get a kick out of my choice.   ;)

Originally i was looking for something substantially larger for overnight stays but i misjudged the market and missed out on some good opportunities, and looked at more than a few dogs as well.  Anyway, this one is in really good shape with very few hours and was well looked after so all good in the end.   8)

It's a 21' Doral with a small cuddy for overnight stays if we get caught somewhere but will likely get used mostly for storage.  Luckily we have lots of friends along the river system with docks and like company so that should work well for overnighters.  It has a full camper top as well so should be a comfortable cruiser for the river system.

Crazy market these days for RV sales.  Basically if you have anything rv related you want to sell, just slap whatever price you want and you'll likely have people begging to give you money.    ::)  I looked at this boat a couple of weeks ago and liked it, but wanted to keep looking for just the right boat.  If i had made him the offer then he would have gladly accepted but the last two weeks he started getting serious inquiries and when i called him back he said there were several people offering him to buy it without a test drive.  I ended up paying him full price, which was fair to begin with so no great loss there. 

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6949 on: June 26, 2020, 12:13:47 pm »
Congrats on the new boat.  What motor is in there?  GM 5.7L?

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #6950 on: June 26, 2020, 12:15:29 pm »
^^Very nice
Mr Pickypants

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #6951 on: June 26, 2020, 12:19:29 pm »
Looks great KD.  EFI or carbed?  Ive got the 5.0 carbed.  She's thirsty, but sounds so good on the water.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6952 on: June 26, 2020, 12:20:30 pm »
Congrats on the new boat.  What motor is in there?  GM 5.7L?

Mercruiser 5.0, and yes, it's a GM.  Tops out around 45mph, which is fast enough for us.  Nice heavy hull so it handles the chop really well. 

Truck hauled it nicely as well but I got a berth at a local marina so it won't get hauled around much.  With trailer it weighs around 5400Lbs.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #6953 on: June 26, 2020, 12:25:48 pm »
Nice choice Tom!  Big enough to handle the Long Reach if the wind is up but still easy to handle and to tow yourself.

Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6954 on: June 26, 2020, 12:28:54 pm »
Looks great KD.  EFI or carbed?  Ive got the 5.0 carbed.  She's thirsty, but sounds so good on the water.

It's EFI and with less than 200 hours.  Very clean engine bay.  They're all thirsty...lol 

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6955 on: June 26, 2020, 12:31:40 pm »
Nice choice Tom!  Big enough to handle the Long Reach if the wind is up but still easy to handle and to tow yourself.

Yes, that was my thinking as well.  I got a berth at SJ Marina, so probably spend most of the time on the SJ River.  They only had two berths remaining and RKYC has a waiting list. 

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #6956 on: June 26, 2020, 12:47:23 pm »
Boss! :cheers:
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6957 on: June 26, 2020, 12:48:02 pm »
Well, everybody loves a party on a boat.  So, Party on KD's boat!!!!!!  Everybody's invited!!!

Online tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #6958 on: June 26, 2020, 12:57:06 pm »
That will be a good boat for you. The 5.0 is a good motor for that size. 

Crazy market these days for RV sales.  Basically if you have anything rv related you want to sell, just slap whatever price you want and you'll likely have people begging to give you money.    ::)

It's just nuts.  Boat prices are through the roof.  So many people asking $10k for 16' aluminum boats.  It makes no sense. 

The marina where my parents keep their boat said they've basically sold out of this year's boats and can't get any more.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #6959 on: June 26, 2020, 01:02:43 pm »
Nice ,
Do you fill up gas tank with the company gas card  ;D