Author Topic: What you Buy or DIY show off thread  (Read 1745717 times)

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
Re: What you Buy or DIY show off thread
« Reply #6900 on: May 31, 2020, 08:17:41 pm »
I grew up living on the river and been paddling for as long as I can remember.  Used to own a really nice Chestnut canoe when i was growing up and went paddling in that almost everyday in the summer until it got stolen.  Was also a member of the local rowing club for a while as a teen.
Since i started kayaking several years ago i haven't been in a canoe since.  There's no comparison for comfort, stability and speed between canoes and kayaks imo.   I almost splurged for some paddle boards for the wife and I a couple of days ago though.  If we decide to buy a boat someday soon then i will get a couple of paddle boards for sure then.  Been looking for a nice used boat but the selection really sucks this year for some reason.  Inquired about a Yamaha jet boat for sale locally but it was sold in no time.   :-\

Oh yeah, I paid my property taxes today.  Almost forgot about them.   ;D
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 08:20:41 pm by KD »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #6901 on: May 31, 2020, 08:29:29 pm »
I really like rowing.

Been fixing to have a row boat for years...just never happened.

Lost out on a Kevlar 12 footer (34 pounds) a few years back...sold as soon as it went for sale. Was beautifully made by these people

https://adirondack-guide-boat.com/light-row-boat-for-fishing-rowing-exploring/
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6902 on: May 31, 2020, 08:42:55 pm »
I have several kayaks at the cottage and a canoe. I agree.

But just want something simple for the river so I can float and chill with the fam or a buddy.
I see quite a few of those fishing kayaks you can paddle or pedal.

There were zero of them a few years ago...now I see quite a few out here.

Was surprised at how well they seem to move even in a decent chop on the lake with just pedaling.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 08:44:27 pm by rrocket »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6903 on: May 31, 2020, 10:07:07 pm »

But just want something simple for the river so I can float and chill with the fam or a buddy.
I see quite a few of those fishing kayaks you can paddle or pedal.

There were zero of them a few years ago...now I see quite a few out here.

Was surprised at how well they seem to move even in a decent chop on the lake with just pedaling.

We have a bunch of the big boy sea kayaks with rudders. They're pretty sweet out exploring the islands and shoals off our cottage on Huron. They cut through everything....even heavy chop.

We also have some less serious ones for putting around in as well.

Does it have pedal propulsion on them like I've seen on the ones here?

How efficient is that pedal drive system? Seems like it moves them pretty decently!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 10:09:55 pm by rrocket »

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #6904 on: June 01, 2020, 12:23:43 am »

Yeah I have a couple cheapo kayaks that we zoom around in but I wanted something more social and relaxing. I think mostly day and  1-2 night river trips.  The advantages to the canoe are you can take the kitchen sink, one guy can cast a line out and fish in the slow sections while one paddles.  I can throw three of us in it and paddle some picturesque lakes. I went prospectuer so that it can handle some of the rougher sections in the mountains. Thinking around Banff and the Kootenay in BC. I am by no means a seasoned whitewater paddler so these are more fall time endeavours when the water level is lower and calmer. This means shallow water though and grounding and hence the T-formex (royalite)

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #6905 on: June 09, 2020, 12:42:44 pm »
i've been using a Worx 20V cordless trimmer the last few years as it was cheap and on sale so i figured i would try it...it works ok, but struggles in longer/thicker grass...came across this on sale for $30 off (so, $269.95 complete with battery and charger)...man, it is awesome (so much better than the 20V unit):

https://en.stihl.ca/STIHL-Products/STIHL-Battery/Battery-Trimmers/273188-1589/ohne-akku-ohne-ladegeraet.aspx?gclid=CjwKCAjw5vz2BRAtEiwAbcVIL60FD25v4dYmXvITVr3tqX5DD9331FK0BjDw9i8XuuLdwXAYOv9JkxoCmNAQAvD_BwE

When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Online revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-329
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #6906 on: June 10, 2020, 11:03:29 pm »
We have about 1/2 of an acre completely overgrown with stinging nettle. My little gas trimmer was in way over it’s head, the nettle is over 5ft high in spots with good thick stalks, it simply bogs out hasn’t the power for the job.  Anyway, I bought this old sythe at a yard sale, a bit of a sharpen and away we went.

Hard work.....holy $hit, got maybe half done today, that was enough thanks. That’s a hella workout swinging that sythe in thick brush. Can only imagine what farming with manual tools like this was years ago, we’re spoiled by automation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6907 on: June 10, 2020, 11:11:58 pm »
They make brushcutter attachments for string trimmers.  They look like little saw blades.

They'd make quick work of that IMO...

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6908 on: June 10, 2020, 11:33:23 pm »

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #6909 on: June 11, 2020, 12:58:34 pm »
They make brushcutter attachments for string trimmers.  They look like little saw blades.

Yeah, I have one that is 3 plastic blades, works fairly well on thick stalked stuff like that.

I've been fighting  Garlic Mustard, it's invasive and all over my yard.  Must have pulled out a few hundred pounds of the stuff. 
Mr Pickypants

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #6910 on: June 11, 2020, 02:18:34 pm »
I’ve seen on info ads the type that consists of a circular wire brush used for cleaning out grout and weeds from interlocking. I’ve not seen any in the local hardware stores though.
I need to re grout my interlocking.
Railton
https://www.amazon.ca/Zitainn-Trimmer-Machine-Accessories-Garden/dp/B07ZJG9R5T
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 02:38:01 pm by Railton »
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6913 on: June 11, 2020, 03:18:19 pm »

Yeah, I have one that is 3 plastic blades, works fairly well on thick stalked stuff like that.

I've been fighting  Garlic Mustard, it's invasive and all over my yard.  Must have pulled out a few hundred pounds of the stuff.
The ones I mean are metal disc...with teeth.

Literally looks like a mini saw blade.

Used for brush only....

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #6914 on: June 12, 2020, 01:29:47 am »

Used for brush only....

Yeah, I  should rig one up, I must have some 8" sawblades here somewhere. :think:
Ever see the ones that have what look like chainsaw chain teeth around the edge?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6915 on: June 12, 2020, 02:32:21 am »

Used for brush only....

Yeah, I  should rig one up, I must have some 8" sawblades here somewhere. :think:
Ever see the ones that have what look like chainsaw chain teeth around the edge?
I've seen similar...carbide tipped by the looks of them.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6916 on: June 12, 2020, 10:50:59 pm »
This is an update, or rather a modification of sorts to our Biolite Firepit. Helidriver bought one too and his review is here: https://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=60426.msg1393767#msg1393767

IQ loves the firepit and uses it more than me..nearly every night. Unfortunately, our firewood is just in a wood rack and is occasionally damp after a few days of rainy weather. So she's not able to use it. I decided to see if I could remedy this.

I found the Repose logs, which are stainless steel mesh log shaped containers. You put wood pellets in them. So I ordered one from Etsy. For reasons I don't understand, shipping is cheaper when bought via Etsy than the website.

I got the Large size, 16 x 4 x 4, which fits perfectly in the firepit. I bought a 40lb bag of hardwood pellets for $7 at CDN Tire and filled the log half full to test it. I used a couple pieces of crumpled paper and a firecube to light it. Very quickly, I had a really nice fire going! I'm impressed!

I note that the pellets burn much, much cleaner (less smoke) than our 2 year seasoned wood. And when the fire gets low, I just added a couple of cups of pellets.

I think she'll be well pleased!!

https://www.reposenow.com/

https://youtu.be/Gnbhxq_rXt0

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6917 on: June 12, 2020, 11:19:07 pm »
Very nice.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk
Yea...I'm pretty impressed with it.

I think I could get away with the small or medium size log.

Nice thing about the us I can take it and use it in our big "real" fire pit.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6918 on: June 12, 2020, 11:21:09 pm »
you can get "fake" logs too...just be careful with them...several years ago, my buddy had a party in his backyard and put one in his chiminea...it didn't seem to do too much, so he put another in there...well, i guess they take 5-10 minutes to really get going...had flames shooting out the top of the chiminea about 3 feet above the "chimney part"...fortunately, they simmered down after about 20 minutes and went to a more normal burn...those fake logs lasted a few hours.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #6919 on: June 12, 2020, 11:49:06 pm »
That's a neat idea to use the pellets. Not an issue for us, as we've got a bunch of firewood stacked under the eaves of the garage, so it stays nice and dry.

My wife and I just used the Biolite the other night, and she had it out again for a get-together with some of her friends two days ago. Still works great, but I think I was expecting a little too much from it. We both like the idea of a fire, but hate feeling and smelling all smoky afterwards: I was really hoping the Biolite would eliminate that. It does cut way, way down on the smoke, but it's still there.

I guess if you kept your distance it would be fine, but of course we can't help sitting close and getting in there to play with the burning logs. I had a shower afterwards, but still felt kind of smoky for a day. Yuck.  :P

Now my wife says she wants a propane fire pit in the back yard.  :P  :P
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 11:51:20 pm by HeliDriver »